What the Forum (emphasis on) Needs!

Legend Zero

Alright, since we have a route to some more power and we would obviously like to use it to better the forum and community. So, anything you think will help is more than welcomed! We know that the cardmaker is broke and that we need Xyz but we really don't feel comfortable with messing with that coding right now, so please level with us.

Things we have already done:
1. Made additions to the signup board to hopefully prevent spambots.
2. Restocked the shop

Have at it, YCM. (any mod may edit my post if they have something to add)

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Gue'O VK' timestamp='1351712679' post='6058139']
That and for Spambots, do we have any of those question things? Like capta or what ever their called? Or perhaps a YGO based question like how many stars is Slifer?
[/quote]
We do have Captcha

We only recently (as in, within the past 3 hours) added a security question. The question is "1 + 1 =".

If you don't believe me, here's a picture:

[url="http://i.minus.com/ibpcTYhJ0dCemD.png"]http://i.minus.com/ibpcTYhJ0dCemD.png[/url]

If you don't believe that, log out for a second and click register and you'll see it there.

The security question may change later. But it has to be something easy that any English speaker should know. Or even something as simple as "Type this sentence" later on.

[quote]May I ask, what language does that card maker use?

I'm currently teaching myself C++, Java, and Python 3.2 and perhaps I could try to help?[/quote]
I legitimately have no clue how to even open the Card Maker app. Sorry I couldn't help much.

That pic is proof enough. Let me think..... At worst, we could resort to what 4Chan does and make EVERY SINGLE POST require captcha, but that's a last resort.

Damn, this is tough. Perhaps a waiting period before you could post? Not only it'll delay things, but it'll be a chance for noobs to ACTUALLY browse the help section and learn? It worked for ATT.

I think for right now just a simple little question like that would help. Since as far as I know bots can't read, they'd be unable to figure out what to do and couldn't register.

There is a way to make people wait a certain amount of time from registration until they're able to post but with YCM as silly and inactive as it is it sounds like a not-so-excellent idea. I mean, it can be done but just seems silly and unbenficial TBQH,

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1351713435' post='6058149']
So when/how did all this power suddenly appear?
[/quote]
[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24217873.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1351713435' post='6058149']
Wouldn't the security question be better if it instead attempted to appeal to emotions? Something a spambot could not possibly answer?
[/quote]
Example? I can't think of one that is a gimme for people, but difficult for bots unless the answer is in the question.

No, I mean did YCMaker actually come in and give you all a little power or did you all just figure it out on your own?

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1351713618' post='6058150']
Example? I can't think of one that is a gimme for people, but difficult for bots unless the answer is in the question.
[/quote]Idk, something like give a situation where virtually everyone would feel the same way and ask for the person to name that feeling.

[quote]So when/how did all this power suddenly appear?[/quote]
When: About three and a half hours ago.

How: Uhh... not legitimately, if that's what you're asking. It's a secret. >_>

[quote]Wouldn't the security question be better if it instead attempted to appeal to emotions? Something a spambot could not possibly answer?[/quote]
It has to be something that a spambot couldn't pick up but a human could. Not all people feel the same way, so something like "how did you feel at the end of Titanic" wouldn't work. Something with a concrete answer works best. And even not an answer at all. Just a command that a human could follow like "Say this" as opposed to "<if true, 0; else, 1>"

ALSO!

http://i.minus.com/ib2qIpYXPeBc3s.png

Basically, "validating" members can not post statuses or import statuses from Twitter/Facebook. (Validating = People who have not posted yet)

May remove status import for members as well (but only if it becomes a problem and people bitch about it alot)

SO BASICALLY! No more spam on the status feed, ever! (or at least, a significant reduction)

100% of the credit goes to Legend Zero BTW.

Spambots under control? Check.

Why can't I think of anything else that needs to be done, aside from that whole "Cardmaker" mess?

Perhaps the renaming and restructuring of some sections? A new moderator here and there?

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1351713839' post='6058153']
Basically, "validating" members can not post statuses or import statuses from Twitter/Facebook. (Validating = People who have not posted yet)

May remove status import for members as well (but only if it becomes a problem and people b**** about it alot)

SO BASICALLY! No more spam on the status feed, ever! (or at least, a significant reduction)

100% of the credit goes to Legend Zero BTW.
[/quote]

... <3

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1351713738' post='6058152']
No, I mean did YCMaker actually come in an-
[/quote]
lol what do you think? XP

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1351713738' post='6058152']
Idk, something like give a situation where virtually everyone would feel the same way and ask for the person to name that feeling.
[/quote]
Now I can't think of anything besides how would you feel if you watched a puppy get hit with a car. ;~;

Lets see how the math works and if that doesn't work...we can hold a contest for the members to make our question!

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1351714064' post='6058157']
lol what do you think? XP

Now I can't think of anything besides how would you feel if you watched a puppy get hit with a car. ;~;

Lets see how the math works and if that doesn't work...we can hold a contest for the members to make our question!
[/quote]"What three letter word would you feel if you saw a puppy get hit by a car?"

Sounds like a good question.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey Arclight' timestamp='1351714681' post='6058169']
And I guess fuk, but I can't say that because apparently this is a kids forum.
Oh wait I just said it.
[/quote]
[img]http://cdn1.raywenderlich.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/RageFace-250x197.jpg[/img]

"Is Yu-Gi-Oh a trading card game? (Yes/No)"

I bet the bots copy/paste every word in the question and check.

Archived