OCG/PSCT Tutorial: Learn How To Write Your Cards Properly!

Atypical-Abbie

I have trouble writing this effect.  It Special Summons 1 monster from your banished zone to your side of the field.

• Special Summon 1 monster from your banish zone. 

What is wrong with the wording?

You do not use Banish Zone, as it's not actually a zone. You say "Special Summon 1 of your banished monsters". In case you wish to Special Summon from either player's, you use "Special Summon 1 banished monster".

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 777c

You do not use Banish Zone, as it's not actually a zone. You say "Special Summon 1 of your banished monsters". In case you wish to Special Summon from either player's, you use "Special Summon 1 banished monster".

How would I rewrite this effect so that it gains ATK and DEF equal to half the ATK of the summoned monster?

Assuming this is another monster having this effect.

• Special Summon 1 of your banished monsters, then this card gains ATK and DEF equal to half that monster's ATK.

In the future, if you need to ask for OCG fixes over PM, please don't delete those messages. Same goes for messages that don't pertain to OCG fixes.

Small update, it seems like Spell and Trap Cards may not entirely have abolished the Card part, as Denko Sekka and Trickstar Candina still use it. Why they are used here I am not too sure of, maybe because they say both have to do with activating them? I'm still not sure what the deal is with that and the Xyz Material sometimes being used. If you are going to change it, why make some obscure times when you don't? Nevertheless, Spells and Traps are used everywhere else, so there's that.

Another thing, I state previously to put the new (Quick Effect) line before semi-colons if there was no colon, this turns out not to be true, rather you put it at the start of the effect as seen with Trickstar Lyroris.

Guest 777c

I have trouble with OCG grammar:

It's this complex effect below.  Is this correct OCG grammar?

This card cannot be targeted by card effects.  Negate the effects of cards your opponent controls.  Activate 1 of these effects:
● Special Summon 1 monster from your GY.
● Special Summon 1 of your banished monsters.
● Other monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 500

(I'm going to assume the "activate effects" are OPT)

Cannot be targeted by card effects. Negate the effects of cards your opponent controls. Once per turn: Activate 1 of these effects.
● Special Summon 1 monster from your GY.
● Special Summon 1 of your banished monsters.
● Other monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to their Level/Rank x 500.

I think Level/Rank still use the slash between them, but need to see if Series 10 did anything to it. Don't think they did.

Guest 777c

I have another OCG issue - Drawing a Spell from your GY.

• Special Summon 1 Spell, then activate it on the turn it was Summoned.

I have trouble fixing this, because a Spell Card is not something that is Special Summoned.

I have another OCG issue - Drawing a Spell from your GY.

• Special Summon 1 Spell, then activate it on the turn it was Summoned.

I have trouble fixing this, because a Spell Card is not something that is Special Summoned.

What do you mean by drawing it? Like you draw a card from your Deck? You mean to add it back into your hand? Or do you mean to Set it on the field from the Graveyard?

Guest 777c

What do you mean by drawing it? Like you draw a card from your Deck? You mean to add it back into your hand? Or do you mean to Set it on the field from the Graveyard?

I mean to Set it on the field from the GY.

I mean to Set it on the field from the GY.

Ok, you mentioned that it was activated too, normally you can always do this with Spell Cards, except Quick-Play Spell Cards, so that isn't needed, unless you designed it to be used with Quick-Play Spell Cards. Regardless, here's the version that just sets it to begin with:

"Set 1 Spell from your GY to your field."

or if you want it to target:

"Target 1 Spell in your GY; Set it to your field."

Guest 777c

If I want to activate it on the field, I would say this:

• Target 1 Spell in your GY; Set it to the field, then flip it face-up?

Correct?

No, if you just want to activate it, you say "Target 1 Spell in your GY; activate it from your GY."

What would I say if the Spell were banished instead?

New section added called "37: Link Monsters, Extra Monster Zone and more important changes", the terms "co-linked", "Extra Monster Zone", "linked", "Link Monster", "Link Summon" "Main Monster Zone", "point" and "zone" have been added to the "Word List, Explanations and Usage List" and minor updates to the wording to reflect the changes have been added throughout the whole thread.

I have trouble writing my first quick effect:

• (Quick Effect): When this monster battles a monster whose ATK is higher than this card's ATK: Triple its ATK and DEF until the end of this turn.

What is wrong with this wording in terms of OCG?

You put the (Quick Effect) part before the colon, now you have two colons in one effect, that is not something that happens. You also normally refer to the card itself instead of to "this monster".

"When this card battles a monster whose ATK is higher than this card's ATK (Quick Effect): Triple its ATK and DEF until the end of this turn."

I have trouble writing this effect. 

• Cannot be destroyed by battle if this card has an Equip Spell.

Is this the correct way to write?

Not quite, "has" is not the correct word to use for equipping, you say a card is equipped to another card, so the wording you want is this:

"While this card is equipped with an Equip Spell, it cannot be destroyed by battle."

Thanks - I have trouble with another wording

• Gains 200 ATK and DEF for each monster on your side of the field, including this card.

Is this the way to write this effect- I would like this card to boost its ATK by itself.

Thanks - I have trouble with another wording

• Gains 200 ATK and DEF for each monster on your side of the field, including this card.

Is this the way to write this effect- I would like this card to boost its ATK by itself.

No need for the last part, and typically you say "you control" instead of "your side of the field".

"Gains 200 ATK and DEF for each monster you control."

Archived