[Finished]Gimmick Kings!

Draconus297

Imagine, if you will, Gemini, Spirit, and Union monsters that are actually good, that are flavorful and fun to use without pissing everyone off.

We are never getting cards like that from Konami.

Luckily, we have this competition.

To boil it down, you are allowed to take any two Spirit, Union, and/or Gemini monsters in the game that have 1 of the following 5 things in common:

Attribute

Typing

Level

ATK

DEF

For example, a Union and a Gemini with the same ATK value, but nothing else in common.

You are then to unify these two cards by alternating everything else about those cards to make a composite, as well as give the new card the effects of both monsters. You're allowed, and indeed encouraged, to find creative ways to do this task, so this is one competition where experimentation is encouraged.

So, everyone who wants to participate has to chip in 10 Points and get a card in by Wednesday, March 23(you have roughly 2 weeks). Winner gets everyone else's entry fee as a prize. My judging rubric is as follows:

Flavor (25 points): Did you follow the challenge? Did you combine the effects in a fun way? Is your patchwork monster just good in general? Note that you will lose points by using 2 monsters of the same sub-archetype, like using both Red-Eyes Flare and Red-Eyes Archfiend, or Y - Dragon Head and Z - Metal Tank.

Playability (15 points): Can your card stand on its own as a good/interesting card without being broken? This examines each card essentially in a vacuum.

Interaction (10 points): Does your card work well with others? This examines whether a card becomes broken with help, like being easily searchable or spammable, or random support cards that could make your card more dangerous than intended.

I'm willing to take on up to 2 other judges to help out, but yeah. Let the contest begin!

[spoiler= Current Pot]

1820 Points

We combine the two monsters we selected that have one thing in common, then alternate everything else about them to create 1 monster.

For example, I choose 2 Spirit monsters, which means I can give the selected monster:

Monster A's ATK

Monster B's DEF

Monster A's Attribute

Monster B's Type

Monster A and B's effect combined

So yeah, do something like that that.

[spoiler=I worked surprisingly fast]

Chosen Priest of Endymion

LIGHT – Spellcaster/Spirit/Effect – 1900 atk 1200 def

Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. This card can attack equal all monsters your opponent controls once each. The first time this card declares an attack this turn, it gains ATK equal to the number of Spell Counters on the field x100 until the end of the turn. When this card is sent from the field to the hand, place Spell Counters on a face-up card on the field you can place Spell Counters equal to the number of times a Spellcaster-type monster declared an attack this turn.

Combined cards: Crusader of Endymion+Asuara Priest

This work fine?

EDIT: Add a couple of clause, etc.

[spoiler=Same here]PK5Rakv.png
Cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to its owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can draw 1 card OR you can shuffle 1 random card from your opponent's hand into their deck. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "tsu" monster you control; equip this card you control or in your hand to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. (This Special Summon is treated as a Normal Summon. A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.) While equipped to a monster by this effect, that monster's ATK becomes 3000.

Cards: Yata-Garasu + Koitsu

This work fine as well?

[spoiler Card]

Adaptable Armor Sol-Bronto

WATER

Level 4

[Aqua/Gemini/Effect]

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become a Union Monster with this effect.

* This card's original ATK becomes 2300, and cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's monster effects. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it as a Union Monster in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 2300 ATK, and cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's monster effects. If the equipped monster attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase, and its battle position cannot be changed until your next End Phase. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)

1500/500

[spoiler Design Notes]

Materials: Phantom Dragonray Bronto + Metallizing Parasite Soltite

OH GOD WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE

[spoiler=Entry]

Y-Gear Dragon Knight

EARTH / *4

Machine / Effect / Fusion

ATK 1800 / DEF 1600

1 Machine-type Union Monster + 1 Machine-type Gemini Monster
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (You do not use "Polymerization".) When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 Machine-type Union Monster from your Graveyard and equip it to this card. While this card has a Union Monster equipped to it: It gains 400 ATK and DEF, and if it attacks, your opponent cannot activate any Spell/Trap cards until the end of the Damage Step.

Cards: Y-DRAGON HEAD + ANCIENT GEAR KNIGHT

GLHF guys :)

[spoiler=mayme]

Gigaplant of the Dark Dust

EARTH

[Zombie/Gemini]

✪✪✪✪✪✪

ATK/2400 DEF/1800

This card is treated as a Normal monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:

● Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 Zombie or Plant-type monster from your hand or Graveyard. When you Summon a level 5 or higher monster: You can destroy all monsters on the field, except that card. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.

[spoiler=more mayme] I threw together Gigaplant and Dark Dust Spirit to create this. That's all. Trying to emulate a Spirit monster's effect through a Gemini was awkward but I think that retains the spirit of the original. The Gigaplant effect was changed to be able summon Zombies because flavour that this is essentially a decayed and withered but still living Gigaplant. The end.

Chosen Priest of Endymion

Flavor: 16/25

I had to dock you here for not completely following the instructions- there was supposed to be only one point of similarity. "Crusader of Endymion" and "Asura Priest" have identical Types, Attributes, Levels, and DEF. However, in terms of the card as it stands, I actually really like it, as it adds to the pseudo-religious flavor of Endymion. Plus, multi-attack is always fun.

Playability: 12/15

Just being a Spirit with high original ATK would hurt it here, due to needing to repeatedly be Summoned and thus being highly vulnerable to Solemn and most Trap Hole Traps. However, when it's not being caught on negation or its inability to be Special Summoned, it's definitely capable of beating face and making itself very powerful very quickly, because each attack this declares (of which it can do many per turn) will make its next attack that much more relentless.

Interaction: 7/10

This can hit tons of plus fast with cards like Magical Exemplar, Blast Magician, and Royal Magical Library, by being able to turbo Counters onto one card in particular. In addition, if none of them are out, you can load up the Citadel of Endymion with tons of Counters for when you need them. However, once again its inability to be Special Summoned hurts, especially in a Deck as SS reliant as Spell Counter Magicians. If this thing dies, the Deck has no real way of getting it back, which makes it hard to plan around in a good Deck. In fact, the only thing it can really do is enable a RML-powered Exodia Turbo that much more,which does it no favors. However, as stated before, it can help SC Magicians beat face far harder than normal. So . . .

33/50 - D 3rd place (20% of pot)

Yata-Koitsu

Flavor: 19/25

Again, I have to dock points because of too many lineups, in this case both ATK and DEF are the sane for Yata and Koitsu. However, this is a weird, creative card, and you can tell there was effort in balancing Yata's unintentionally too-solid effect. Also, bonus points for making one of the most hilarious cards I have seen.

Playability: 4/15

On its own, this card is terribad. Even with two copies to abuse the ATK boost, that's a required two Tributes every turn for card returning or drawing, which means you need recurring Tribute fodder like Igknights or Frogs, and at that you'd have tons of better options.

Interaction: 8/10

That said, given that WATER support exists in droves, and there are a few Pendulum archetypes that have enough room for the -tsu stuff, this would definitely make for a fun surprise tech, due to just how unexpected it would be, especially because there's little you could do to prepare if you're not named Rafflesia. It has a lot of pegs holding it up.

31/50 - D 4th place (No prize)

Adaptable Armor Sol-Bronto

Flavor: 25/25

OH MY GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL! It's not often I gush over a card, but this thing is just so cool I can't help it. It follows the prompt and more, it conjures up the most fun image, and it has so much raw flavor it can "Flowers for Algernon" one's tastebuds.

Playability: 13/15

It's slow. There's a lot that can stop it. But it makes up for it in the best way, and the ability to turn anything into a Majespecter is several metric tons of awesome. It's almost too good, which is what forced me to dock points. With just a second copy of itself, even one that hasn't been Gemini Summoned, you have a 3800 mega-beatstick that can't reasonably be stopped.

Interaction: 5/10

If this thing is a monstrosity on its own, it's a horror show with WATER support. It can be Salvaged, searched in dozens of ways, boosted to hell, and with the other members of a WATER Deck to be boosted . . . I'd rather not be on the receiving end of Mermailanteans with this funker on board. This is the variety of thing that gets the word "degenerate" thrown around by salty players.

43/50 - B 1st place (50% of pot)

Y-Gear Dragon Knight

Flavor: 19/25

HOW IS THIS SO DIFFICULT

Anyway, yeah, this is another double lineup, in this case both Level and Type. However, in terms of flavor, this thing actually manages to connect to the Fusions Y-Dragon Head is a part of, so kudos for that. Also, I'm unsure if this is intentional, but it has the same ATK value as X-Head Cannon, which means that when it uses its effect it has the same ATK value as X-Head when equipped with Y-Dragon.

Playability: 7/15

As a Fusion, especially with such a narrow pool of possible Materials, poor Y-Gear is very difficult to Summon at all. Then, there's the issue that this thing can't use its own Material for an ATK boost, and even if it could most Unions aren't freely equippable to gain extra effects- there's only one that would provide more than its own effect. It's not a bad card, it's just very difficult to use.

Interaction: 3/10

Even being a Level 4 Machine-Type Fusion, a combination that gives it a metric ton of possible support, as mentioned above, it only has one possible equip target that does more than just the +400 and Ancient Gear clause: Heavy Mech Support Platform, which is only a small extra ATK boost, anyway. In addition, it can't be Instant Fusioned, and amounts to little more than a difficult-to-Summon beatstick with a million and one outs. In comparison to millions of other, better options for the niche it fills, you could honestly have done a lot better.

29/50 - F 5th Place (No Prize)

Gigaplant of the Dark Dust

Flavor: 24/25

Horrifying, conceptually, but awesome as hell. Zombies and Plants don't meet up often, except maybe in Synchro-based monster mashes, which begs a few questions both flavorwise and in terms of how you'd use it, but overall this is one cool monster plant. Personally, I'm picturing a somewhat rotten red Gigaplant with glowing yellow eyes, but that's just me.

Playability: 9/10

On its own, we have a stupid solid 2400 beater that can bring out other copies of itself, that can nuke the field when it does so. Plus, each copy can revive a dead copy and kill itself, leading to an endless loop of your opponent having no monsters and you having this. To set it up, you'd need one turn of setup by Tributing something, but honestly with three of them you don't have much to worry about as long as you don't need your Normal Summon all that much.

Interaction: 7/10

As mentioned above, this has a niche in Synchro Plants/Zombies, but neither of those engines has all that much prominence at this point. However, its status as a walking Raigeki gives it a place in almost any monster mash, so it honestly works as a great toolbox card. Bra-freaking-vo.

40/50 - B 2nd place (30% of pot)

Archived