Trump Administration Actions Thread

Again, Minnesota isn't actually an example. It's just James O'Keefe trying to stir controversy over nothing.

DeJoy does matter. But I guess since he's Republican, you're willing to let that slide.

I'm willing to agree that it's an insecure system. I just think it's funny that you tried to make this about "Democrat malice", and since then have offered nothing of substance. Thanks for playing.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I need to unload here.   I can't be the only one on this site sick of people -- not just this person, but people in general -- grouping people into unitary blocs. I look around and it's always abo

Quick reminder that posts in this thread should be directed specifically to the current administration and their actions. If you'd like to discuss a similar topic in a more broad spectrum, please mak

3 hours ago, Phantom Roxas said:

Again, Minnesota isn't actually an example. It's just James O'Keefe trying to stir controversy over nothing.

DeJoy does matter. But I guess since he's Republican, you're willing to let that slide.

I'm willing to agree that it's an insecure system. I just think it's funny that you tried to make this about "Democrat malice", and since then have offered nothing of substance. Thanks for playing.

DeJoy doesn't matter if you vote in person

Clearly MN is a problem given there's an open investigation into the matter

For fucks sake Roxas, Ballot collecting is bullshit

I don't vote in person. I vote by mail, and others do as well. More than usual are voting by mail this year due to the pandemic, so I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt if they'd concerned about voting in person. If DeJoy only matters if people vote by mail, then that means he matters. If you vote in person, then that's your prerogative, but this isn't a debate about whether DeJoy only matters in specific circumstances, especially when you're raising the issue of absentee ballots anyway. I'm not disputing your article, by the way. I just think it's hypocritical to raise concerns about absentee ballots and still pretend that DeJoy somehow doesn't matter. Either he matters, or he doesn't. Sabotaging one option for voting still means he's sabotaging the election.

Again, you're free to think that ballot harvesting is bullshit, but it's legal, and it had fewer restrictions at the time that the alleged event occurred. So our options are either that it simply didn't happen, or even if it did, it wasn't illegal. Just because you personally don't like something doesn't make it illegal. You need to separate the law from your feelings on this one. Even if they're looking into the investigations, it doesn't exactly sound like much will come from it. It's O'Keefe trying to pander to the right as he usually does.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/29/project-veritas-how-fake-news-prize-went-to-rightwing-group-beloved-by-trump

https://www.businessinsider.com/james-okeefe-project-veritas-sting-fails-2017-11#okeefe-is-charged-and-convicted-of-a-misdemeanor-for-tampering-with-the-phones-of-a-former-us-senator-2

Seriously, you want to believe this guy? I think it's fair to be suspicious about someone with a criminal record who makes a habit of deceptively altering videos, and has spent the past decade lying for a living.

I know i'm going to get flak for this, but I don't think "bawwot hawvesting huwt my feewings." is what winter's getting at. I do agree that he's putting up a strawman argument but feelings is not a part of how his argument is going. I'm not going to speculate on motives because that is not my scope.

But here's some constructive advice, and I hope it makes the convo here more balanced; if you want to tackle a strawman, don't rely too much on facts, turning the argument on its side, attributing motives, etc. I know this sounds contradictory, but the point of a political strawman is to reimburse pre-held opinions (of the audience, or the strawman maker, or both) and using facts against it, especially in this post truth era, will likely cause cognitive dissonance; which reimburses the strawman argument in the minds of the target audience of the strawman, instead of weakening it. Other forms of offense against the strawman can create a "see? they really are out to get us" effect, especially if people are involved who are argumentative, confrontational, or just have to have the last word.

It's not about the argument itself, but the confirmation bias that the argument is constructed to exploit. I'd give Winter the benefit of the doubt, but after all the BS going on in here, if you use strawmen, context twisting, and other cheap tricks you lose the benefit of the doubt. But here's the thing; it can be earned back, sometimes, but it takes time and effort, and being constructive instead of dirty arguing. I know setting an example isn't going to change much in the big run but it's the most we can do.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I do think you make a good point. The problem is that Winter has largely been arguing that he just doesn't like something, and hasn't been offering anything substantial.

You're right about the cognitive dissonance. Winter's strawmen never held up to facts, so he typically dismisses the facts outright. I suppose it's better to focus less on Winter's feelings about ballot harvesting, and more on whether James O'Keefe has any legitimate proof of anything actually illegal. However, that also feeds into the confirmation bias. His history of deliberately misleading videos is irrelevant to his audience. As long as he can claim that a video shows the Democrats are allegedly doing something that he's falsely saying is illegal, then Winter is able to take that video to confirm his bias.

Project Veritas relies on people who are willing to believe a certain narrative, and Winter's fault in this argument is how readily he falls into that group.

14 hours ago, cr47t said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-chris-wallace-presidential-debate-coronavirus-2020-10

thoughts? i don't think this is neccesarily a trump 'action' but idk

Not the least bit surprised. At least Biden and his wife tested negative. The Rose Garden event where Trump formally nominated ACB was where most of Trump and his group got infected, so I'm hoping the debate didn't spread it further, even with Trump and his guests' horrible negligence.

9 hours ago, (GigaDrillBreaker) said:

If I were trying to destroy ballots to sway an election, I would at least shred them.

It's certainly efficient. It's why I don't think the dumpsters in Pennsylvania were an act of malice or anything like that.

• Like 1

Isn't this the same admin that let 200k people die, encouraged voter fraud, and has had more scandals than Reagan's old crusty ass? THAT administration is bitching about ballots? In a corrupt two party system?

Say sike rn

• Like 1

https://www.fox9.com/news/subject-of-project-veritas-voter-fraud-story-says-he-was-offered-bribe

Oh hey, I was right about Project Veritas. Again.

"Liban Osman tells the FOX 9 Investigators he was offered $10,000 by community activist Omar Jamal to say he was collecting ballots for Congresswoman Ilhan Omar."

So it was a scam. James O'Keefe's agents bribed a man to lie on their behalf, all so O'Keefe could drum up a fake controversy.

"Liban Osman admits the Project Veritas video footage looks incriminating, but he said the group deliberately left the full context on the cutting room floor. Project Veritas used two separate videos he posted on Snapchat while driving in his car to make it appear as if he was illegally picking up ballots and offering money for votes, he said."

Wait, Veritas deceptively edited videos? Interesting. It's almost like that's exactly something I've warned you guys about before.

I think we can officially dismiss this whole "Minnesota ballot harvesting" story as a load of crap.

23 hours ago, Phantom Roxas said:

https://www.fox9.com/news/subject-of-project-veritas-voter-fraud-story-says-he-was-offered-bribe

Oh hey, I was right about Project Veritas. Again.

"Liban Osman tells the FOX 9 Investigators he was offered $10,000 by community activist Omar Jamal to say he was collecting ballots for Congresswoman Ilhan Omar."

So it was a scam. James O'Keefe's agents bribed a man to lie on their behalf, all so O'Keefe could drum up a fake controversy.

"Liban Osman admits the Project Veritas video footage looks incriminating, but he said the group deliberately left the full context on the cutting room floor. Project Veritas used two separate videos he posted on Snapchat while driving in his car to make it appear as if he was illegally picking up ballots and offering money for votes, he said."

Wait, Veritas deceptively edited videos? Interesting. It's almost like that's exactly something I've warned you guys about before.

I think we can officially dismiss this whole "Minnesota ballot harvesting" story as a load of crap.

Yeah dude, a guy caught doing election fraud was totally going to just admit it

https://nypost.com/2020/10/07/nj-mailman-allegedly-tossed-99-election-ballots-into-dumpster/

Get Help roxas

So we know that Project Veritas was lying, and instead of addressing that point, you still resort to going after my mental health. Do you have a proper counterargument, or do you want to keep throwing around insults instead?

I do appreciate you proving my point that DeJoy is using USPS to screw with this election, though.

It was a joke, Winter. Thanks for still proving that you're only resorting to insults now because O'Keefe's fake controversy got debunked.

Heck, even Veritas's own source contradicted what O'Keefe is trying to claim the video shows. https://sahanjournal.com/digital-disinformation/project-veritas-ballot-harvesting-omar-jamal/

I get it. You genuinely believed this story was true. If this situation were reversed, you would accuse me of arguing in bad faith. I don't think you were dishonest, I think you believed O'Keefe, so it absolutely sucks when a source you put your trust in turns out to be an habitual liar with a history of scams under his belt.

I'm sorry that O'Keefe misled you like this. If it's any consolation, I truly hope this experience has taught you to approach Project Veritas with more caution in the future. But please, don't take your frustrations out on the people who warned you.

Not quite sure. I think it's Trump just being petty that he can't always get away with spreading disinformation. So Trump and Biden's respective concerns seem to be the opposites of each other. Trump wants to get away with dishonesty, while Biden thinks that websites aren't doing enough to curtail that same dishonesty. Biden is recognizing a genuine problem, but removing Section 230 is hardly the answer.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/10/politics/pennsylvania-voting-policy-challenges-trump

Meanwhile, a federal judge appointed by Trump slapped him down for trying to arbitrarily declare ballot dropboxes illegal. Considering that this is a swing state where Biden is leading in the polls, this was most likely a battleground where Trump thought he could turn the tide through voter suppression.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/violation-of-state-law-legal-experts-blast-california-gops-fake-voter-ballot-dropoff-boxes/

https://www.newsweek.com/california-gop-fake-official-ballot-boxes-1538221

Alas, it appears that one of the parties in California has committed criminal activity in order to steal votes.

To the absolute surprise of nobody, it's Republicans trying to commit voter fraud. This is actually worse than ballot harvesting.

By the way, one of the counties where Republicans did this was Fresno, which Devin Nunes and Tom McClintock represent. Interesting how that works out.