Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Mr Melon said:

I'd never liked drawing with anything other than pens as a kid.  Never liked the look of crayon on the page, and I hate the sound of pencil scratching.  The tendency kinda forced me to learn how to cover up my mistakes pretty effectively, but I never really learned how to actually use color/shading all that well. 

I'm hoping that by drawing on the computer, it will shake me out of certain habits and that I'll eventually improve with shading and colors.

 

I have a new story that I'm writing, and I feel like it will work very well as a webcomic.  I don't expect my drawing will end up being overly good by webcomic standards, but I want it to at least be serviceable.  At the very least, it will be my own.

 

I totally get that drawing with a pen bit. Sure, I'll draw with almost anything (except chalk and similar stuff; hated those), but I always felt comfortable with ink. Yes, if you commit an error you can't erase (unless you have one of those pens with "erasable" ink), but I really liked the impact it leaves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[spoiler=A little something after a while of busy-ness]    

[spoiler=Similar to my previous drawing]    

[spoiler=Whale]    

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Mr Melon said:

I'd never liked drawing with anything other than pens as a kid.  Never liked the look of crayon on the page, and I hate the sound of pencil scratching.  The tendency kinda forced me to learn how to cover up my mistakes pretty effectively, but I never really learned how to actually use color/shading all that well. 

I'm hoping that by drawing on the computer, it will shake me out of certain habits and that I'll eventually improve with shading and colors.

I'm not too fond of crayons either, but I do like the sound of a pencil drawing on paper. It's the sound of something being created, I dunno. Shading is something that I wouldn't say I've mastered as well. I try to consider the light source an stuff, but normally I add shades to the exterior part of each section so it feels it has volume. When something is round you do that more dramatically and add lighting around the centre or a little closer to an edge depending on the situation.

As for using the PC, there are many techniques I use for shading, which I'm pretty sure aren't optimal, but they work. For instance, say that you're going to shade an apple. You select a rather dark shade of red, use the pencil tool and change the brush's opacity to something very low... like 20%. You start by making a new layer, then changing the layer's style to "Darken" (this will cause that you will only affect with your brush anything below that's lighter in color, meaning you won't paint over a black outline). Click and hold, moving your cursor through all the part that you want to shade, then you repeat the same process, except that you don't reach as far, maybe a couple of pixels behind the first area of shading. You keep repeating this, approaching more and more to the outline of the apple. This makes that every layer of color becomes darker, causing the shade effect, and of course, the opposite can be done for highlights. An easier method would be using the "Burn" tool, which can also be adjusted in its intensity.

Huh... while I was writing this I felt like trying with some examples I made quickly

1st Image - Simple color

2nd Image - Shading area, with Brush at 20%

3rd image - Many layers of shading, including leaf

4th image - Lighting

5th image - Deleted the stuff beyond the border, added some final details

Apple.png.025ea41008209b256302749894e6a7a1.png557664543_Apple(1).png.9cdc8f371f9543903e399c332fe3c801.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

578021151_Apple(2).png.4b3bcf6cff37b68847f1d0f75ca32cae.png254795187_Apple(3).png.b003b7d1ac62067c1a80bb080018683e.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

173284520_Apple(4).png.81fe87d7a54b30bad7b51990d5f0eb37.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 1:19 PM, Ire said:

Sleepy, it's time you start training on your drawing technique. It's been years but it seems like you haven't improved a bit. If you want to improve you gotta work on it. If you don't want to improve then nvm this post. No hate btw, I say that for your own good. Hope everyone is doing well here btw


Ok so, I've tried to reply to this a pretty good number of times and gone through edits but there was a glitch in the forum (which I'm not sure is fixed for sure yet but we'll see if this attempt goes through).
First, it's nice to see you around. I don't think I've seen you in a while. You should repost some of the old stuff from page 2 because the old links are broken. 

Addressing the post itself, I'd like to believe I've been improving somewhat. A lot of it is trying to keep in shape because work IRL take a lot out of me (both time and energy) but some of the stuff that looks the same I'm able to do in less time or with more confidence now... Of course I still have a long way to go.

EDIT; I'm gonna try to spoiler it all xD


HF81eJz.jpgI suppose this is the elephant post you meant. I have a few other ones but this is the one I found in the early pages xD

I don't really believe I'm skilled enough yet to realize that image in its non sketchy and anatomically sound glory of bulkiness xD

I think I'll be using this chance to make a sort of journal of my progress over the years starting with my first online drawing style. AKA cross-hatching shading the heck out of everything haha.... (nervous laughter).
Back in those days everybody I knew IRL kept telling me they liked it but I always felt like I was just compensating for my lack of skill. If you took the shading out of my drawings, many wouldn't be able to sustain themselves. I always envied simple designs that could pull it off without need of detail, like some pokemon designs (which were harder for me to draw than some of the overly detailed dragons I made).

Now 2 more elephants:

4SWo5oq.jpg



This one I drew back in 2009 at the college cafeteria one morning as my sister and I were waiting for our classes to begin~
I0chI01.jpg








And this one that's a lot newer xP


















FFV1aV3.jpg
Here's my most time-consuming drawing of this style, adding up to a total of 9 hours of work. I almost never post the finished version of this one because I'm very much not a fan of how the girl turned out, but I do still like the 32 wings xP












OiHyRqo.jpg
Here's the latest drawing of that style I've made, although it doesn't quite look as fancy as the older ones. I've been drawing in a different style to the point this one is getting a little too rusty. 

Originally I started moving away from this to expand a bit, although my main style ended up becoming what you've probably seen of my recent uploads here.

Random note: I sneaked this drawing in on my previous post.

pxGbkQa.jpgHere's a very special drawing for me. The most hours of work I've ever put into a single drawing (16 hours). The only time I've made a full sheet of paper be covered in ink. My first attempt at using a light box, which came in handy because I also was testing pens and actually ruined 2 other inking attempts at it. The first one with a G Pen (yes the dipping kind that mangakas use) which looked beautiful but I found out the hard way that the ink couldn't stand the alcohol in the markers. Then tested various kinds of brush pens until I settled in my favorite. It was also the first time I composed a piece with multiple full body characters + background and it was harsh xD

7hF3won.jpg


Here's a second piece now with fanart (characters belong to "Over the Garden Wall" comics).

Thie one took me 4 hours, a lot less than the above image. Which gotta point out drawing fanart has become a lot easier for me with time.
qqHI8Dt.jpgeNnND5W.jpg







Now here's some Yugioh fanart.

Tour Guide from the Underworld (Christmas-ish themed)


















Dark Magician Girl










Z4ykwUH.jpg




Wee Witch's Apprentice














ZrNCi2m.jpg




Nekroz of Gungnir
(actually it's the first time I upload this drawing with the second pass at the linework to make the black outlines stand out a bit more).
































(sorry, they are in no order from each other, and I didn't find out how to put 2 images side by side) (btw, special thanks to Rayfield because I didn't know I would post in this format of image on one side and text on the other) xD

2IV6tK0.jpgI've also tried other styles. Here's a somewhat more realistic approach. Still not perfect but still kinda proud of how it came out.










SrBOpsV.jpg
I'd like to think I mostly nailed this style as well, but as with all my work, I do take feedback.

























06PMKEu.jpg
Here's an attempt to draw a furry character, and to draw a Power Ranger-like character, both bumped into one thing because IDK.... 



wnseFzm.jpg

Here's an oldie (2013 ) but it's one of the last drawings I made trying to use color Pencils. The coloring is not flawless but it was my best xP
I don't like how the spirit beam thing on the left turned out though.




n60OzD2.jpg




Just wanted to post this one because it looks different enough to the rest of my images so far. Though is it different enough to warrant it? I hope xD
















Now, most of my current style is actually me trying to get used to drawing characters and scenarios and proportions for a comic project I've wanted to do for a long time. Most of my art is actually dedicated to prep for that, even though you could say some of it looks like peanuts drawings xD
This isn't to say "It's my style so it is immune to criticism" by any means. I welcome any specifics on thoughts and feedback you might wanna give. Let's see if this post can hold any more of this:
XNU1dWr.jpg
 












jwJlBTS.jpg








PywzSZO.jpg







qXSqGG8.jpg









MYi9KSs.jpg












ouU3ip2.jpg




















p3jhhQC.jpg


















eN3z0ML.jpg
















Fw4yCPh.jpg
















8PkO2mF.jpg
















2Bc8YvZ.jpg










27uMyfj.jpg





















qmCNgk6.jpg
















 

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is wonderful. So many years of work in a single post. I dunno what to say, but it's amazing. I'm glad my favourite made it from the cut xD.

I say that I like your drawings rather often, so often that perhaps it's starting to sound empty, or a thing of "cause she's my friend, I approve everything". But this is not the case. When I say I like a drawing, I mean it, and in your case, it's almost guaranteed. I won't be hypocrite and say I love every single creation, or that there isn't room for improvement, because we have a loooong way to go, but your talent is undeniable, and I wish you had more time to devote to it. This is about you and not about me, but still I'd like to mention again that it's thanks to you that I've started to draw more... something I've always loved but forsaken for so many years due to be afraid of screwing it. Either because of your art or your words of encouragement, I've become better, even if slightly. Let's keep it, up, Sleepy!

P.D: Why the F does the Calamardo drawing has to appear every damn time? xD

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

This is wonderful. So many years of work in a single post. I dunno what to say, but it's amazing. I'm glad my favourite made it from the cut xD.

I say that I like your drawings rather often, so often that perhaps it's starting to sound empty, or a thing of "cause she's my friend, I approve everything". But this is not the case. When I say I like a drawing, I mean it, and in your case, it's almost guaranteed. I won't be hypocrite and say I love every single creation, or that there isn't room for improvement, because we have a loooong way to go, but your talent is undeniable, and I wish you had more time to devote to it. This is about you and not about me, but still I'd like to mention again that it's thanks to you that I've started to draw more... something I've always loved but forsaken for so many years due to be afraid of screwing it. Either because of your art or your words of encouragement, I've become better, even if slightly. Let's keep it, up, Sleepy!

P.D: Why the F does the Calamardo drawing has to appear every damn time? xD


Those are really sweet words, n-n
Thanks!!!
As for why handsome Squidward made the cut? well because it's so handsome xD
Those aren't even a fourth of my total drawings so it made a pretty nice selection xP

Btw, nice apple technique. I think I've noticed something like that in videos of digital art being drawn, where suddenly it looks like they magically colored/shaded everything in a way that normally would have had them cover most of the screen in that color but it ends up respecting the image's borders and linework. Good to finally know how they do it xD

Now that I've made that post, I can post new stuff I've been working on that I couldn't before because I didn't wanna look like I was ignoring~

- - - -

@Mr Melon
That drawing looks very good as an avatar or a logo. 
Hey, here's an archetype idea: I bet Bistro Butcher used Mystic Tomato as an ingredient for Hungry Burger. Maybe even the meat is Battle Ox. I think something can be cooked in the kitchen regarding that x9

- - - - -

And now, I'll use the rest of this post for my newer drawing uploads (yes the spoiler was stuff I had already posted here for the most part)

I  found this sketch from like 2018 that I had never scanned, of one of my characters using what back then was a custom mechanic of mine for Yugioh. Nowadays it is more so being reworked into my own form of TCG instead. The gist of it is you start the game with a card that is like your avatar, and here are 3 random ones came up with just to mess around xD
MJonteL.jpg


aaaand I have this sketch for about the same kinda project, but this IS a new drawing.
9w9gkK2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here goes. It's been over a year since I started drawing at work in my free time. But only since May since I started drawing the strips. 

Here's a sample:

6mtnFmG.jpg

And here's where the actual comic begins:

ckvhzPj.jpg

kI9oqGP.jpg

Qa9nHz6.jpg

UD12BCS.jpg

62uNdLP.jpg

rDr0HJJ.jpg

This isn't all the strips, by the way. This is like...a third of them. Let me know if you want to see more.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HonokaMadolche said:

Lumina-san recommended me the group and said we can share drawings here, so i joined and share sometimes 

so thanks

We're a small community of people learning to draw and striving to become better n.n. You're more than welcome to post whenever you feel like it, it's only constructive critique here. Also, it's cool you decided to make your own profile pic as the first drawing :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 3:16 AM, HonokaMadolche said:

Lumina-san recommended me the group and said we can share drawings here, so i joined and share sometimes 

so thanks

Saw this since the morning on my break, and finally got home where my internet is workable xD
As the club's founder/president, I hereby welcome you to Le Crayon Corner!

We don't really have a real member list, so it is a pretty open club to anybody that wants to come what with others xP
That's a pretty cool image of Madolche Magileine. I had never really noticed that she had heterochromia until I saw your drawing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Saw this since the morning on my break, and finally got home where my internet is workable xD
As the club's founder/president, I hereby welcome you to Le Crayon Corner!

We don't really have a real member list, so it is a pretty open club to anybody that wants to come what with others xP
That's a pretty cool image of Madolche Magileine. I had never really noticed that she had heterochromia until I saw your drawing.

Thanks :3

Looking forward to have some nice talk and see some drawings and share more :)

and thanks, gave my best with the drawing XD

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Speaking of, I don't think I've posted my nun here:
hN4lMgm.jpg

As an evil suggestion, maybe make a tiny part of the halo black? As to hint that there are underlying not so pure intentions in this cute nun's actions xD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. this is my first post here!

well some forewords, i want to officially introduce myself as my real name which also currently my only artist name for more professional matters. my name is Ariel Caesar T

i used to draw and have a dreams of become mangaka or 2d animator, but as the time goes i got burned out and ridden with some mental health problems so at the end im not as polished as i want it to be. so i kinda put those dreams on hold and pursue a much more realistic demand of the industry as 2D Motion Graphic Artist

i still wanna be good at drawing though  so i hope by joining here i get motivated to polishing my skills again. here one of my creation, an OC i made for Arknights game character the enigmatic Prof.Azathoth:

WWtVg4G.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

Hello. this is my first post here!

well some forewords, i want to officially introduce myself as my real name which also currently my only artist name for more professional matters. my name is Ariel Caesar T

i used to draw and have a dreams of become mangaka or 2d animator, but as the time goes i got burned out and ridden with some mental health problems so at the end im not as polished as i want it to be. so i kinda put those dreams on hold and pursue a much more realistic demand of the industry as 2D Motion Graphic Artist

i still wanna be good at drawing though  so i hope by joining here i get motivated to polishing my skills again. here one of my creation, an OC i made for Arknights game character the enigmatic Prof.Azathoth:

WWtVg4G.jpg


Welcome to the club. I hope you get to find the inspiration you need. We are actually a pretty lax club so you might see some periods of inactivity once in a while, but I'll assure you that the place is not dead xP

I'd say that's a pretty amazing looking piece. Braids are a pretty elaborate haircut and I've always been weak on machinery myself, but the bit that I like the most is how good the lighting effects look as a whole.


If I had to nitpick... since you said you also look for improvement, I'm gonna try to not just be praising this time =)
I think the head could be placed a tiny little bit further back for a more straightened up posture, as he seems to be leaning forward a little bit (which can be an intentional mannerism for all I know).
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sleepy said:


Welcome to the club. I hope you get to find the inspiration you need. We are actually a pretty lax club so you might see some periods of inactivity once in a while, but I'll assure you that the place is not dead xP

I'd say that's a pretty amazing looking piece. Braids are a pretty elaborate haircut and I've always been weak on machinery myself, but the bit that I like the most is how good the lighting effects look as a whole.


If I had to nitpick... since you said you also look for improvement, I'm gonna try to not just be praising this time =)
I think the head could be placed a tiny little bit further back for a more straightened up posture, as he seems to be leaning forward a little bit (which can be an intentional mannerism for all I know).
 

I would say the mannerism is natural since the character in question appears to be reading a book. So offering an upward stare to whoever is in their presence or speaking to them is a natural courtesy. Actually makes the character appear to fairly polite if you ask me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Nobody Really said:

I would say the mannerism is natural since the character in question appears to be reading a book. So offering an upward stare to whoever is in their presence or speaking to them is a natural courtesy. Actually makes the character appear to fairly polite if you ask me.

That is also very much possible. That the character was just reading standing up and lifted the head to answer but not straightening up in full due to the intention of getting back down to the book after replying. It is a viable pose so it is very much an nitpick from me. I'd personally have slightly tilted the head forward in an angle to emphasize that motion of looking from the book to the viewer. Right now only the neck is forwarded and in a static image rather than an actual animation, my first impression was a little dorky and not the scene you described xD

Here I'm hoping I'm not sounding too bent up over it, I wasn't explicitly asked for advice here and I don't want to dishearten any new members... and honestly that drawing is better than what many of us can produce here despite what I'm saying here xP

Hmmm speaking of the image, I'm not familiar with Arknights. I'm looking it up right now. =0

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...