Sign in to follow this  
Dad

Russia, the U.S.A., and the White House Administration

8 hours ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

What if I like what Trump did?

If you like it, then it would mean you liked Trump withholding military aid to a foreign ally unless Ukraine had announced an investigation into one of Trump's political rivals.

Congress approved this aid, but as soon as Trump held it hostage on the condition of getting dirt on Biden, Republicans started to cover for Trump. I would be interested in why you would like what Trump did, because all things considered, I thought you were generally against abuse of power. I would find it rather out of character if you made an exception here. And let me clear, you're asking what if you liked what Trump did. That is not disputing that he abused of power. Merely suggesting that, whatever you like to call what he did, you like that he did it.

Republicans didn't just put party over country. They put a single individual above all else. They desperately tried to defend Trump, but to no avail. They attacked the process, and they attempted to out the whistleblower. Eric Swalwell summed it up best, that when someone pulls a fire alarm, who really cares who it was that pulled the alarm? What matters is that we have a fire to put out. Trump going after Marie Yovanovitch certainly does not help his case.

"What if I like what Trump did" is not a defense against voting out the GOP, nor against impeachment. It just means that you like what is demonstrably an impeachable offense.

8 hours ago, Phantom Roxas said:

If you like it, then it would mean you liked Trump withholding military aid to a foreign ally unless Ukraine had announced an investigation into one of Trump's political rivals.

Congress approved this aid, but as soon as Trump held it hostage on the condition of getting dirt on Biden, Republicans started to cover for Trump. I would be interested in why you would like what Trump did, because all things considered, I thought you were generally against abuse of power. I would find it rather out of character if you made an exception here. And let me clear, you're asking what if you liked what Trump did. That is not disputing that he abused of power. Merely suggesting that, whatever you like to call what he did, you like that he did it.

Republicans didn't just put party over country. They put a single individual above all else. They desperately tried to defend Trump, but to no avail. They attacked the process, and they attempted to out the whistleblower. Eric Swalwell summed it up best, that when someone pulls a fire alarm, who really cares who it was that pulled the alarm? What matters is that we have a fire to put out. Trump going after Marie Yovanovitch certainly does not help his case.

"What if I like what Trump did" is not a defense against voting out the GOP, nor against impeachment. It just means that you like what is demonstrably an impeachable offense.

Well the polling isn't great for you homie. I think the democrats are vile people and anything to put them in their place is good for me

20 hours ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

Well the polling isn't great for you homie. I think the democrats are vile people and anything to put them in their place is good for me

By polling, do you mean Biden, or Democrats in general? I don't like Biden, so I'm glad he's doing poorly. Biden losing in polling is great for me. I want him eliminated, and I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Trump spent all this time and effort trying to target Biden, only for Biden to fail to become the nominee anyway. The thing is, I can simultaneously dislike Biden and still think that Trump should be impeached for committing illegal acts just out of spite for Biden. Those are not mutually exclusive positions.

"Anything to put them in their place" is a garbage excuse. Trump withheld aid that both parties approved of, all so he could solicit Ukraine to interfere in an election. I'm not going to say that Democrats are perfect, but I have a hard time looking at Trump and thinking that they are the vile people in this scenario. If all you have for why you like what Trump did is that he did it to Democrats, then I maintain my position that the GOP should be voted out. It just proves that the only people who approve of Trump's actions are just as vile and petty as him.

This wasn't just about the Democrats. Trump was also screwing over Ukraine here. Do you like that held aid to Ukraine hostage? And I don't mean that with some caveat that it's okay just because he did it to "stick it" to the Democrats. Regardless of Trump's motives or how this affects Democrats, how can you like that he withheld aid to Ukraine? I hate to break it to you, but that actually is more important than however much you hate Democrats.

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-flopped-in-the-iowa-caucuses-2020-2

I expect Trump to be acquitted because the GOP is okay with Trump committing illegal acts. After all, apparently extortion is okay if the victims are Democrats… well, and Ukraine, but we're going to ignore them because "fuck the libs" is clearly more important than anything else, amirite? However, I do love that, despite Trump attempting to rig the election in his favor, Biden so far looks to have only come in fourth place in Iowa. While the results have yet to be fully revealed, it's still a bad showing for Biden. It seems that Democrats don't want Biden anyway, so Trump went to all this effort for nothing.

Your great-grandfather is not an excuse you can hide behind for supporting war crimes. I asked about Ukraine because I hoped you would be able to empathize with their position. All things considered, I should have known better.

So you like what Trump did because you hate Democrats and you're okay with Russia invading Ukraine. Thanks for proving my point.

19 hours ago, Phantom Roxas said:

Your great-grandfather is not an excuse you can hide behind for supporting war crimes. I asked about Ukraine because I hoped you would be able to empathize with their position. All things considered, I should have known better.

So you like what Trump did because you hate Democrats and you're okay with Russia invading Ukraine. Thanks for proving my point.

Your fam bled to defend Ukraine vs the Nazis?

It never had a right to leave the USSR

ANYWAY

Image result for trump aquitted paper

My family participated in both World Wars, but I don't see how that's relevant. I mean, aside from how you are utterly incapable of acting in good faith, so you need to assume I have some personal attachment. Honestly, is that the only way you'll accept why I'm sympathetic to Ukraine? This is hardly the first time you've asked that sort of question. I asked what you meant about polling earlier because I was under the impression that you believe my criticism of Trump somehow comes from a place of support for Biden, so I wanted to clear up any confusion. It's like when I complimented Zai once, and you would not shut up for months on end about how he was somehow my best friend, and you were absolutely convinced that I was somehow stacking the deck by installing my friends on the mod team.

I didn't need a personal attachment to support Zai. I don't need a personal attachment to think that Trump targeting Biden is wrong. I don't need to have had a relative who fought on Ukraine's side in World War 2 to think that Russia's aggression deserves to be condemned, and that Trump withholding aid was fundamentally wrong. I'm sure there's more examples that would be relevant to my point, but I'll just cut to the chase. You tend to assume that whatever position I take comes from some greater connection. I can't think of an occasion where you've honestly been right about that, not that it's ever stopped you before. I know that empathy and compassion are alien concepts to you, but I can sympathize with Ukraine's position without that having anything to do with my family. I would find it an insult to my grandparents if I flaunted their experiences just to condone war crimes like you've done. Quite simply, I look at Trump and Russia attacking Biden and Ukraine respectively, see how those conflicts overlap, and decide that, hey, maybe Trump and Russia are in the wrong here.

If you're pissed that Ukraine won their independence, suck it up. Just as my family history is separate from why I criticize Trump and Russia, your great-grandpa is irrelevant. He didn't bleed to keep Ukraine in any "rightful place". He bled for a cause, and that cause failed.

Trump's acquittal is hardly impressive when the GOP refused to hear witnesses. The House managers made a good case, but Republicans didn't want to admit it. Hell, as soon as Romney voted in favor of one of the articles, Republicans were quick to claim that he's joined the Democrats, and think he should somehow be expelled from the party. As disappointing as acquittal is, the impeachment process did manage to force Republicans to go on the record that they're okay with this. I hope that, more than anything, will harm their chances in the coming election. If you have to be in lockstep with Trump to even be considered a Republican, that is a party that cannot be trusted with power.

Congratulations to Devin Nunes on inspiring Virginia to strengthen their anti-SLAPP laws! It's amazing how far we've come since Nunes's first sued Twitter just because his feelings were hurt.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/02/bill-weld-new-hampshire-primary/606478/

A decent look at Bill Weld's primary. While he's absolutely not going to win, his campaign is more about proving a point during the primaries. Namely, whether the GOP is completely beholden to Trump and has become his cult, and trying to reduce his chances of winning. Weld cites Steve Bannon, who suggested that as long as Trump loses at least 3% of the traditional Republican vote, he will not be reelected.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/politics/va-house-electoral-college-popular-vote/index.html

The Virginia House of Delegates has also passed a bill to give the state's electoral votes to the candidate who won the popular vote. Considering how Trump lost that in 2016, this is a pretty helpful turn of events.

47 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

Wait. We might get a second Trump term?

Doubtful. Bernie is generally the better hope against Trump, and he's doing well, despite the efforts within the Democratic party. Trump is certainly going to win the primary, and Weld is aware of that. It's the general that would be the real test, and since Trump lost the popular vote in 2016, there have been efforts to ensure that the electoral votes will reflect the popular vote better this time.

Weld's goal seems to be to ensure that Trump loses in the general election. It's not about winning the primary himself, so much as diminishing the margins by which Trump becomes the nominee. It also helps that Biden losing in the primaries seems to be due more to Democrats already just not liking Biden that much. Trump seemed to be targeting Biden on the presumption that Biden would become the nominee, and basically hoped that the tactics that worked against Hillary would have a similar impact on Biden. So if Bernie, or, frankly, anyone but Biden becomes the nominee, then Trump simply hasn't put nearly as much effort against them as he has against Biden.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/politics/trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-interview/index.html

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a30927792/trump-admit-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-impeachment/

I realize that Republicans don't actually care that Trump was guilty, because they're either too scared to stand up to him, or they think that punching left is totally the more important thing to do, and that Ukraine deserves to be invaded, but once again, Trump admits to what he did.

I'm still wondering what the hell more is needed. But as we've seen, it's never about actually getting evidence of wrongdoing. It's just that the right - and so-called "centrists" who only ever punch left, and are happy with Nazis as long as their victims are Democrats - are okay with Trump did. They ask for evidence because it makes for a convenient guise of neutrality, all the while they just want the left to lose. Doesn't matter one fucking bit to them if Trump is wrong, they just want to score points against the left.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, Phantom Roxas said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/politics/trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-interview/index.html

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a30927792/trump-admit-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-impeachment/

I realize that Republicans don't actually care that Trump was guilty, because they're either too scared to stand up to him, or they think that punching left is totally the more important thing to do, and that Ukraine deserves to be invaded, but once again, Trump admits to what he did.

I'm still wondering what the hell more is needed. But as we've seen, it's never about actually getting evidence of wrongdoing. It's just that the right - and so-called "centrists" who only ever punch left, and are happy with Nazis as long as their victims are Democrats - are okay with Trump did. They ask for evidence because it makes for a convenient guise of neutrality, all the while they just want the left to lose. Doesn't matter one fucking bit to them if Trump is wrong, they just want to score points against the left.

No, I want to see the left broken and dismantled