YCM Awards Finale - Giving the Winners Their Awards!

Mettaton EX

and I disagree with said point, but rebutted his logical argument rather than just repeating myself.

The rebuttal is one that he already acknowledged in that very quote. He said his opinion is that Dova's skill isn't the highest in the community but acknowledged his willingness to improve. You then tried to refute that by saying everyone's at a roughly equally low level and that willingness to improve is the deciding factor (which is ok too, is probably true?) but then last page you've stated your opinion that Dova's skill is the highest/most deserving which goes against that refuting anyway.

His complaint stems from a misunderstanding of what the voting criteria is, and has now been resolved. There was and is no need to continue this further.

literally everyone here is lacking in skill. The difference is whether one seeks to remedy that.

I would think that just for posting your cards, asking for feedback, replying, and applying it if applicable, shows an interest in improving one's cards and card-making skills.

I'm not speaking for myself there admittedly, as it has been a long while since I posted a card, and it doesn't help that when I did, I rarely got any reply anyway, instead resorting to asking for it, although I did get an occasional rep, but still that barely nets me any growth. But that's beyond my control. I suppose Dova is in a CC "sweet spot" where he frequently deliver reviews, and there are users around that care enough to review his works.

I'm not speaking either about those who post their works but don't take, nor seem to care about, any suggestions or advice.

But I understand if you value more that Dova takes the extra mile to improve, like going into the Discord group to ask questions, as Sakura mentioned when he explained his vote.

The rebuttal is one that he already acknowledged in that very quote. He said his opinion is that Dova's skill isn't the highest in the community but acknowledged his willingness to improve. You then tried to refute that by saying everyone's at a roughly equally low level and that willingness to improve is the deciding factor (which is ok too, is probably true?) but then last page you've stated your opinion that Dova's skill is the highest/most deserving which goes against that refuting anyway.

His complaint stems from a misunderstanding of what the voting criteria is, and has now been resolved. There was and is no need to continue this further.

Did you really have to state that it's a low level? That hurts a bit xD

But that was the case, at the very least for the Card Maker Star. Just take a look at how many and who voted for Dova. 17. Roughly about 80% of them, if not more, barely hang out in CC, if at all, so from where are the votes coming from? Would you say these users had anybody else in mind for the category? I don't think so. The category wasn't even contested. If he had won by 1~3 votes, or if others had received more votes, it would have made sense, but that wasn't the case.

I would like to mirror your case here with Writing Star. The criteria for the award was to be active in RP or CW, as opposed to last year's YCM Awards only focusing on one or the other two separate awards. Thing is, RP is a pretty isolated section, nearly to "closed borders" levels. Most people who mainly visit RP don't bother with other sections or even the status bar, and most people outside of RP don't really look at the section at all unless someone comes in like "yo man you should read this RP that's going on" and even that isn't a guarantee. Therefore, when YCM thinks about writing, they think about CW first and perhaps exclusively. Only two people are notably active in CW afaik, and one of them requested to not be a part of this event. Most if not all of Pika's votes for the award came from outside those two sections, because nobody really had anyone else in mind. Even last year, when I won Ultimate RPer, all of my votes came from outside RP; I won simply by being popular and people knew that was my usual haunting grounds, so they picked me. I checked. Despite my popularity and charming personality though, my RPing skills are only slightly above average at best.

That said, I have no opposition to Pika's victory, just to clear that up real quick. CW and RP are different enough that two Writing Stars is fine, since there isn't enough CW activity to warrant it being its own award this year.

I was going somewhere with this, but I lost track of it while I was checking the last YCM Awards to confirm that none of my votes actually came from within RP. Pretty sure it was something to the effect of "If I'm winning awards by being popular despite being just above average at the thing the award is about, someone who's notably skilled at cardmaking, actively writes reviews like very few CCers do, and goes to venture into new sections, absolutely deserves the award more than a typical isolated cardmaker, no matter how skilled they may be."

Also his votes came most notably from RP, which is basically YCM's shadow government anyway.

That said, this whole situation seems to be getting a bit more tense than it was supposed to be. Bottom line seems to be "You accept Dova's victory but are not in favor of it", right? We should all probably let this go, barring Darj correcting me if I'm mistaken about the thing I just said, since there isn't really much for either "side" to get from it.

That said, this whole situation seems to be getting a bit more tense than it was supposed to be. Bottom line seems to be "You accept Dova's victory but are not in favor of it", right? We should all probably let this go, barring Darj correcting me if I'm mistaken about the thing I just said, since there isn't really much for either "side" to get from it.

What you say sounds about right to me.

Bottom line is that I was wrong by thinking the Awards were supposed to be more about skill, when it actually takes multiple factors, specially popularity. For instance, when it comes to skill, personally I think Toyo is the most skilled, but she is lacking in other traits, like activity.

I really should have just kept my thoughts to myself and move on. I apologize for that and stirring up any commotion.

What you say sounds about right to me.

Bottom line is that I was wrong by thinking the Awards were supposed to be more about skill, when it actually takes multiple factors, specially popularity. For instance, when it comes to skill, personally I think Toyo is the most skilled, but she is lacking in other traits, like activity.

I really should have just kept my thoughts to myself and move on. I apologize for that and stirring up any commotion.

I don't count though because I actually did have the highest quality material in the section I won :shrug: Just memeing juxtaposing my activity to Flame Dragon's dedication, which obviously says nothing about his actual merit (else YCMaker would be the most excellent member of the community).

I would agree that Dova a great choice. Dova not only takes advice as mentioned above. He also tries to use what he has learned to help others improve as well. And that willingness to help others on your way up is a very admirable quality and shows that they are a fairly well rounded person in general. So Yeah, I'd go with Dova due to not only wanting to learn but also helping others along the way.

Archived