Archival Mind

Guest BGMCANN0N

Guest BGMCANN0N

Archival Mind
EARTH
✪✪✪ (Level 3)
[Psychic/Effect]
ATK/ 1800 DEF/ 100

You can discard this card; add 1 "Brain Research Lab" from your Deck to your hand. You can banish this card from your GY; remove any number of Psychic Counters from a card you control, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Psychic monster from your hand or Deck whose Level is equal to the number of Psychic Counters you removed. You can only use this effect of "Archival Mind" once per turn.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Search Target: https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Brain_Research_Lab

So this is a meager attempt at trying to make LP paying Psychic relevant again. The idea is give Psychic their play making Field Spell, and then try and benefit from the Psychic Counters it generates in the form of a slower, yet potentially higher-rewarding pseudo- Emergency Teleport. That is if you don't get Ash'd, of course... If that happens you are stuck with the a Field Spell with a potentially lethal amount of Counters that could kill you.

Obviously, those Psychics need way more though.

Oh, that's funny!  I made Psychic Counter support cards a few days before the site went down.  I don't think I ever followed up on 'em though. 😅

Honestly, this card feels like it'd end up becoming an engine starter rather than being used for those ol' LP-Psychics:

- Search Lab
- Use Lab to NS a Psychic > place a counter
- Banish this > SS Kozmo Tincan (Kozmo plays), Raremetalfoes Bismugear (Metalfoe/Pendulum/Super Poly plays), Psi-Reflector (Assault Mode plays), or Re-Cover (Combo off).

Admittedly, these kinds of combos are more fragile than they used to be, but this definitely opens some interesting stuff.

As for the actual LP-paying psychics... It's helpful?  Looking 'em up now, it looks like most of 'em have slow OPT effects that either are meant to secure the battle phase (altering stats, manipulating attacks, etc.) or work during the battle phase (battle floaters, destruction protection, etc.).  Better LP-paying Psychics are needed for this to really shine.

Guest BGMCANN0N
On 10/16/2019 at 1:15 PM, Tinkerer said:

Oh, that's funny!  I made Psychic Counter support cards a few days before the site went down.  I don't think I ever followed up on 'em though. 😅

Honestly, this card feels like it'd end up becoming an engine starter rather than being used for those ol' LP-Psychics:

- Search Lab
- Use Lab to NS a Psychic > place a counter
- Banish this > SS Kozmo Tincan (Kozmo plays), Raremetalfoes Bismugear (Metalfoe/Pendulum/Super Poly plays), Psi-Reflector (Assault Mode plays), or Re-Cover (Combo off).

Admittedly, these kinds of combos are more fragile than they used to be, but this definitely opens some interesting stuff.

As for the actual LP-paying psychics... It's helpful?  Looking 'em up now, it looks like most of 'em have slow OPT effects that either are meant to secure the battle phase (altering stats, manipulating attacks, etc.) or work during the battle phase (battle floaters, destruction protection, etc.).  Better LP-paying Psychics are needed for this to really shine.

Well we do have Overdrive_Teleporter

which can be Tribute Summoned with Brain Research Lab which can then extend to Dr._Frankenderp, netting you at least 3 Psychic Counters (1 from additional Normal Summon, 1 from Overdrive eff, and 1 from Frankenderp if wanted to).

Also, there is this guy Destructotron which does not in fact have a once per turn, but it does require your opponent to have backrow to spam his effects.

But, yeah old school LP Psychic are long overdue to getting more members that share their gimmick.

Archived