Guest BGMCANN0N

Mmmhh, this looks a bit too strong, I'd say. Basically a Negate Attack with a huge power up that negate effects, and not only for the rest of the turn it is activated, but until the end of your own turn. Flavor-wise, ok, but needs a bit of balancing, imo, although having to wait for the attack declaration is an acceptable measure to balance it in the current meta, I guess. Considering how strong the Traps are nowadays maybe it's not too far-fetched.

Guest BGMCANN0N
1 hour ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Mmmhh, this looks a bit too strong, I'd say. Basically a Negate Attack with a huge power up that negate effects, and not only for the rest of the turn it is activated, but until the end of your own turn. Flavor-wise, ok, but needs a bit of balancing, imo, although having to wait for the attack declaration is an acceptable measure to balance it in the current meta, I guess. Considering how strong the Traps are nowadays maybe it's not too far-fetched.

Negate Attack is Counter Trap so isn't entirely outclassed by it being Spell Speed 3 (also it can have niche in Counter Fairies still) , but given how old that card is wouldn't be surprised if they made better variations of it IRL.

Anyhow, I would be willing to defend the strength of this card:

1) As you said, it requires an attack declaration... So it is essentially easy to get around. e.g. Removing it prior to attacking, or not attacking and waiting for solution to backrow (provided you have some insight of how your opponent is playing or what they play)

2) You still go -1 to activate it since it doesn't remove anything from your opponent side. It is like a Mirror Force that doesn't remove anything, but does spare you from LP damage and/or having your monsters be destroyed by battle while temporarily crippling their monsters.

3) Depending on situation, your opponent could Synchro, Xyz, Fusion or Link Summon using monsters that have been afflicted with the negation that could respond to your next course of action. So the value really comes into play on what monsters and effects you negate.

The only "modern" card I can think of that this could outclass is Break_Away , but I think that card was haphazardly made... Considering it requires a Spell to discard all while being a battle trap. If anything, I think battle traps should have some degree of generous magnitude on them to offset their innate nature of being unreliable in this day and age.

39 minutes ago, BGM キャノン said:

Negate Attack is Counter Trap so isn't entirely outclassed by it being Spell Speed 3 (also it can have niche in Counter Fairies still) , but given how old that card is wouldn't be surprised if they made better variations of it IRL.

Anyhow, I would be willing to defend the strength of this card:

1) As you said, it requires an attack declaration... So it is essentially easy to get around. e.g. Removing it prior to attacking, or not attacking and waiting for solution to backrow (provided you have some insight of how your opponent is playing or what they play)

2) You still go -1 to activate it since it doesn't remove anything from your opponent side. It is like a Mirror Force that doesn't remove anything, but does spare you from LP damage and/or having your monsters be destroyed by battle while temporarily crippling their monsters.

3) Depending on situation, your opponent could Synchro, Xyz, Fusion or Link Summon using monsters that have been afflicted with the negation that could respond to your next course of action. So the value really comes into play on what monsters and effects you negate.

The only "modern" card I can think of that this could outclass is Break_Away , but I think that card was haphazardly made... Considering it requires a Spell to discard all while being a battle trap. If anything, I think battle traps should have some degree of generous magnitude on them to offset their innate nature of being unreliable in this day and age.

This is quite true, I suppose I was too concentrated about this card outclassing an old card such as Negate the Attack (even with the Counter part) to consider other important factors you mention. What's funny is that I'd rather have this card than something like Mirror Force, due to how many Decks end up getting benefited even when you're destroying their monsters (although this obviously varies greatly from Deck to Deck). I suppose what I found too strong of the card was the amount of time its effect lasts, but that can be more or less controlled with 3), so all in all, you convinced me ^_^

Archived