Underwhelming

Psilocyborg

@Psilocyborg, what's the combo you're considering using with this card? There has to be something, because honestly I find the card pretty underwhelming >_<. Setting stuff is pretty bad in the current meta, except for fully dedicated flipping decks such as Shaddoll or Ghostrick. Also, I'm not understanding well how a Set card can activate an effect. I mean, if you activate this card, it has no effect that can be applicable when activated, and if it's face-down, it... simply cannot do anything, it shouldn't be able to be used as replacement for the  other Set card(s) you're protecting. I'm intrigued because I feel I'm missing something.

Looks like just a generic Set protection card, but it can help backrow as well as Set monsters which gives it a lot more usability.  Probably not strong enough to be used in modern decks since it is a reactive trap entirely reliant on the opponent, but it has decent niche uses in a backrow heavy strategy against field nuke effects (Evenly Matched, Harpie's Feather Duster, Lightning Storm, etc.).  All in all, it's fine.  I do really like how this card is thematically in-flavor with "Shifting Shadows".

As for Set cards with effects, it's actually not completely unheard of.  As far as I know, there's 2 cards that can trigger an effect while face-down: Big Shield Gardna, and Mid Shield Gardna.  I actually wanted to make an entire archetype with "face-down effects" as its premise for a while... maybe I should get around to it.

Ohhh, I see! I felt something was in the air, but I was pretty sure face-down cards were essentially Effect-less (until sent to the GY, at least) , thanks for the clarification, Tythe. I remember making a couple of cards with that kind of effect many years ago, but I thought that was something weird I came up with, not something with an actual precedent ^_^´´. Well, in that case, I take back my words, the card has its uses. Possibly I'd carry something less passive considering the brutal pace of the meta, but this card should be good in the Decks I mentioned earlier or something like Sky Striker, since that thing ends up with a full backrow first turn 90% of the time. I like when, after making a suggestion, I'm the one who ends up being enlightened xD

50 minutes ago, Psilocyborg said:

Also, it should be noted that destruction protection effects with the wording "... instead" can't be chained in response to. So in rare scenarios where your opponent would have a negate while nuking Sets, they wouldn't be able to stop it (not even with Counter Traps).

Not only that, but I like the fact that it is worded in a way that it grants delicious all around protection. Evenly Matched? Nah. Giant Trunade-like effects? Nope. Nobleman of Crossout that nobody plays anymore? Niet. Envoy of the Beginning? Nanay. What the hell, I'm liking this card more every time I come back xD. 

It would seem you can, @Psilocyborg.  There's hardly any precedent to this kind of effect, but I suppose a replacement can be done as a response to TT.  If you compare  this to the cards mentioned by Tythe,  Big Shield Gardna is a Quick Effect, so SS 2. And since this is a Trap, same... I'm still not sure if the actual effect has a relation to Spell Speed, or if it is more of a Triggering stuff (I think its the latter, right?). If this is the case, it has no relation to the Set --> activate next turn rule, so I suppose it'd be good to go.

Archived