It's been a while

LuipcAnhur

Question

Hi people! I have been kinda distant from the card game for a while because of many reasons actually, but now i just got back and I found myself knowing nothing of what the game looks like anymore. The last time I've played was in 2017 when the pendulum launch and i kinda stopped there, not knowing what was the meta anymore. I know there must be an article for my doubts but I just feel I was in need of a more personal help so if anyone could it would be nice.

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, LuipcAnhur said:

Hi people! I have been kinda distant from the card game for a while because of many reasons actually, but now i just got back and I found myself knowing nothing of what the game looks like anymore. The last time I've played was in 2017 when the pendulum launch and i kinda stopped there, not knowing what was the meta anymore. I know there must be an article for my doubts but I just feel I was in need of a more personal help so if anyone could it would be nice.

I'm probably not the best to tell, but let's see... since the time of the horrendous Pendulums, we got Links and a new Master Rule along with it, which prevented you from using your Main Monsters Zones to directly Summon extra deck monsters there. Two new zones, the Extra Monsters Zones, were added, which are located in the middle of the board, above the 2nd and 4th Main Monster Zone. You could only use 1 of them (normally), and you'd summon your Extra Deck Monster there. Now, the Link Monsters are Extra Deck Monsters without Level / Rank, but a Link Rating instead of DEF, and 8 arrows pointing to each direction. They can only be placed in Attack Position, and effects can't change their position either. Now, the arrows are red when they're active and black when they aren't. The Link Rating indicates the amount of arrows a Link Monster has, and the materials it requires for its Summoning. For instance, a Link Rating 2 monster requires you to send 2 monsters to the GY. Many Link Monsters can ask for specific things, like Synchros or Xyz... Effect Monsters, Archetype Monsters, Attributes, types, etc. There's also a special rule: The Link Rating also counts as the number of materials. Say that you have a Link Rating 4 monster that says in its effect: 2+ Effect monsters. Normally, you will need 4 monsters to summon it, but if you have a Link 3, you can use it as one of the materials as 3 materials, and complement with something else. Now, here's the deal: The active arrows. They point to zones and the monsters in those zones. When a Link monster is pointing to a zone with an arrow, you can also Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck there, in that pointed zone. There are another features, like being co-linked (two Links pointing at each other) and the infamous Extra Link, which was having Co-Linked monster making an U from your Extra Monster Zone the the other, in which you'd be able to occupy the second one. Yeah, my friend, I'm not inventing this, that was YGO for awhile xD

Then, not too long ago, a new master rule was instated. We're basically back to the rules of before, with some exceptions here and there, and in what regards to Links and Pendulums, they still nedd Links Pointing around for them to be Summoned. Other Extra Deck monsters can use the Main Monster Zones as usual... which means a lot of my explanation was useless, but oh well.

See ya around.

39 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I'm probably not the best to tell, but let's see... since the time of the horrendous Pendulums, we got Links and a new Master Rule along with it, which prevented you from using your Main Monsters Zones to directly Summon extra deck monsters there. Two new zones, the Extra Monsters Zones, were added, which are located in the middle of the board, above the 2nd and 4th Main Monster Zone. You could only use 1 of them (normally), and you'd summon your Extra Deck Monster there. Now, the Link Monsters are Extra Deck Monsters without Level / Rank, but a Link Rating instead of DEF, and 8 arrows pointing to each direction. They can only be placed in Attack Position, and effects can't change their position either. Now, the arrows are red when they're active and black when they aren't. The Link Rating indicates the amount of arrows a Link Monster has, and the materials it requires for its Summoning. For instance, a Link Rating 2 monster requires you to send 2 monsters to the GY. Many Link Monsters can ask for specific things, like Synchros or Xyz... Effect Monsters, Archetype Monsters, Attributes, types, etc. There's also a special rule: The Link Rating also counts as the number of materials. Say that you have a Link Rating 4 monster that says in its effect: 2+ Effect monsters. Normally, you will need 4 monsters to summon it, but if you have a Link 3, you can use it as one of the materials as 3 materials, and complement with something else. Now, here's the deal: The active arrows. They point to zones and the monsters in those zones. When a Link monster is pointing to a zone with an arrow, you can also Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck there, in that pointed zone. There are another features, like being co-linked (two Links pointing at each other) and the infamous Extra Link, which was having Co-Linked monster making an U from your Extra Monster Zone the the other, in which you'd be able to occupy the second one. Yeah, my friend, I'm not inventing this, that was YGO for awhile xD

Then, not too long ago, a new master rule was instated. We're basically back to the rules of before, with some exceptions here and there, and in what regards to Links and Pendulums, they still nedd Links Pointing around for them to be Summoned. Other Extra Deck monsters can use the Main Monster Zones as usual... which means a lot of my explanation was useless, but oh well.

See ya around.

Thanks so much for your time Rayfield Lumina! writing this must have took alot of your time, and it was because of the second paragraph that I was in doubt. In the game YGO link evolution i noted the 2 spots and saw the link monsters but i didn't understand how to use it. Thanks to you know i can have a go. Thank you so much again!

3 hours ago, LuipcAnhur said:

Thanks so much for your time Rayfield Lumina! writing this must have took alot of your time, and it was because of the second paragraph that I was in doubt. In the game YGO link evolution i noted the 2 spots and saw the link monsters but i didn't understand how to use it. Thanks to you know i can have a go. Thank you so much again!

You're welcome, I'm glad my clunky explanation was of use to you. If you ever have any other doubts, you can @ me and I'll help in what I can, though there are more knowledgeable people in the site. You can also check out these Links, first is about the aforementioned Master Rule (check the April 1, 2020 revision) and second is a thorough Link Monster mechanic explanation.

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Master_Rules#Master_Rules_(April_1,_2020_revision)

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Link_Monster

Archived