Kuriboh support [UPDATED]

Hi,

I really love Kuriboh. Who doesn't am I right ?

So it's been a while since I've been thinking about making some kind of better supports for him than what we actually got. It seems that Konami has been highlighting the "negate damage" side of the archetypes. Which is logic, it is indeed the effect of the original Kuriboh. But as we all know, this is a bad effect in modern ygh, so I wanted to focus on another aspect of this monster.

Something that I think is even more iconic about Kuriboh, is that he is the first hand trap of the game. So I decided I wanted to focus on that aspect of him, and try to make a Kuriboh archetype based on hand traps. Also, most of Kuriboh's magic card are quick-spells without once per turn, so I wanted to stay as close as possible to that, as much as balancing allows me to.

I'm not an artist but i think i nailed the card's arts. Also, I want to say that I do not intend to make this archetype a tier 0 or meta/competitive one. I see it as a fun/rogue, yet functionnal deck.

So here's the first card I designed with this intent:

Kuristrictionh.thumb.png.0e20d3592eb4bcfc2c9ac461bfe36948.png

So this one is a continuous spell, I didn't put a once per turn limit on that card's effect because it's not a quick effect, which makes the card not that broken in my opinion. Also I think there is low chance to trigger it more than 2 times per turn even without restriction. But if you see a way to abuse it, maybe we could add once per turn. The effect basically gives the effect of negating a monster's effect for 1 turn whenever you discard or use one of your Kuribohs as a hand trap. As I said it's not a quick effect so it can't be used in a chain to negate an effect that's being activated. Also it targets, so it can't negate monsters that can't be targeted which is another nerf to the card.

I then thought that Kuriboh was lacking any relevant Extra Deck monsters (apart from Linkuriboh). I thought that since Kuriboh is an old ass monster, it should uses the oldest Extra deck mechanic that exist; fusion monsters. So I designed 2 of them (although I hesitated to make one of them a XYZ monster, lmk what you think is better).

KuribohProtectorate.thumb.png.5a8055164fa27ececff4d64e698f5292.pngKuribohsBurrow.thumb.png.0852e2a25f2046607d4dce78fccf26aa.png

For the first one, I wanted to expand on the hand trap mechanic. So with this effect, you can now use your Kuribohs as an omninegate handtrap, which can also activate Kuristrictionh's effect leading to even more negate. I'm putting a once per turn on this one bc i'm scared it could be too op, but it might be ok without ? I'm not too sure here so let me know.

For the second one, I thought to myself that this engine was starting fine, but would run out of material pretty quick. So I designed this card so you can recycle your Kuriboh's when you send one of them to the graveyard. This card got a hard once per turn for obvious reason, it might lead to infinite combo.

Both of them got 300ATK/2000DEF to mimick Kuriboh's stats. Just gave them a x10 in def so they can at least tank little monsters' attacks. Those stats aren't great but it's not the point of these cards, they're only there for their effects and enable handtraps combo.

Then, you can't have a fusion monster-based deck without its own fusion spell ! So I did one that allow to banish the Kuriboh's you've used as hand traps, to recycle them into fusion monster.

TuftedFusion.thumb.png.5ca9b02c27c95b9283cb5c6fd0644221.png

This one is Quick-Play card to be as close to other Kuriboh's spell card as possible, but still got a once per turn, just as any other fusion spells.

The last card that I designed is just a generic searcher for all Kuriboh's cards, except Kuriboh himself; because I think the engine lacks consistancy and Flute wasn't solving the issue entirely. I hope you like the little pun.

TheFluteofSummoningTheFluteofSummoningKuriboh.thumb.png.cd218c683f580474296778ca899604cd.png

The wording on this one might seems weird, but I just tried to be as close as Flute's wording. It also looks like "Toon Table of Contents" in it's working, since it can search itself and don't have a once per turn.

So here's my take on what would a modern, fun and viable Kuriboh deck could look like. Feel free to give your opinion on how to balance it, or on hot to make it better if you think it's not good enough for today's meta. And also feel free to suggest other names for the card, I'm not sure for all of them lol.

I also thought about a card that would send a Kuriboh monster from your hand to the graveyard and add another Kuriboh from the gy to the hand. But idk if it might be redundant ?

Edited by not naze
  • Like 2

Just now, Alien Nation said:

be honest, i like the effect. But your card not have a image, or maybe my connection is error, i don't know?

No it's not your connection, I just don't have pictures for the cards yet sry.

• Haha 1

• not naze changed the title to Kuriboh support [UPDATED]