VGR #2

Makο

Before anything else, I'd like to mention that after this, I'll be taking a break from reviewing Shoot'em ups, and move more towards other genres. So if you're getting tired of these, stay tuned!

I'm back, and more pumped up than ever! Because today, I'll be reviewing a game that, before anything else, needs a sequel.

[size="5"]Today's game to be reviewed iiiiiiis....[/size]

[size="7"]
Star Wars: Republic Commando*.[/size]
[img]http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/914938_59983_front.jpg[/img]

[size="5"]First thoughts.[/size]

When I was younger, I was told about a game. After hearing stories about this game from my brother, who got heard it from an old friend of his, and watching trailers for it, I was as excited to try it as I was terrified of it. But I would have to wait a good 4 years before I would get a chance to play it. After I walked into the Play 'n' Trade near my house, I saw a copy of this game in the Xbox Games section. (Where I get games made of gold for cheeeep) I instantly whipped out my wallet and bought the game. As I sat there, staring at the case on my way home, I could only hope that the game would be worth my time.

[size="5"]Story.[/size]

The story follows a group of highly skilled elite clone troopers as they fight through some well known, and not so well known, locations and battle fields, completing objectives and keeping each other alive. You play as Delta Three-Eight, or just 38, who is in command of a squad. Your squad mates are Delta Oh-Seven, or Sev (Hunter/Sniper), Delta Six-Two, or Scorch (Demo-man), and Delta Four-Oh, or Fixer (Hacker).

I have no complaints or comments about the story itself, other than the fact the story is rather short.

[size="5"]Starting up.[/size]

After you skip a few beginning scenes, as in which company made the game, etc., you find yourself at a rather cool looking menu screen. You are prompted to make a profile, if you don't already have one, and then hit New Game.

From here, you are shown a few scenes from 38's early life, from being in the bacta container to training. It never leaves the first person perspective, which is neat. From there, you find yourself on the battlefields of Geonosis.

[size="5"]Game Features.[/size]

I find the most outstanding feature of this game is the squad command system. This system allows you to give commands to your squad with relative ease. You can command your squad to protect an area, get on turrets, single out enemies, or complete other objectives with the click of a button.

If one of your teammates is downed by enemy fire, you have a chance to tell a squad mate to revive him, or you can revive him yourself. You also enter this state once you are downed. If all of your teammates are downed at once, it's game over.

The HUD also shakes a lot more than it would in a normal game, giving it that nice, realistic touch. Other then that, I really can't see any features that stand out too much.

Well, if you get blood or other fluids on your visor, it wipes it off for you. I guess that counts for something.

[size="5"]Gameplay.[/size]

Alright, lets get down to business.The gameplay in SW:RC plays out very smooth. The control scheme might confuse some people, such as CoD players. The controls consist of RT to fire, LT to throw grenades, click in the left stick to Aim down sights, etc. It also features a host of other controls that might seem confusing at first. However, throughout the first level or two, it explains all controls out in a way that I found appropriate. Through first hand experience.

Ah, yes. In my eyes, this next gameplay element is it's pride and joy. The AI. The AI in this game are fantastic! Some people might get turned away from this game, thinking that the AI you have to command will get in the way. [b]<It's an original Xbox game. Thats what people might've suspected.>[/b] It's quite the opposite. Scorch, Sev, and Fixer all follow commands to the letter, never failing to get to what they were commanded to do. However, they aren't the type of AI that will run into battle, getting themselves killed, just to complete an objective. If there is any amount of enemies in an area that is posing a threat to the person you commanded, he will fight back, making slow but steady progress. Also, you HAVE to master this command system. If you don't you won't survive most of the levels. This is not a game where you can just prance ahead in front of your squad, hoping to kill everyone. Remember, the squad is your weapon. These AI's are so great, I am having trouble explaining their behavior, because it's so advanced. You might say the AI is infinitely better than Brink's AI. [b]<That's not saying much lol>[/b]

*Thinks*

Hey!

*Ahem* Anyway, on a scale of Brink to Ten, I give the AI systems a 9.

I do have one complaint about the gameplay, though. It's rather hard to tell whether you are getting shot at or not without visual or audio cues. The screen doesn't light up red when shot at, shake, or anything else. The only way to tell is to check out your shield indicator and health bars. Maybe I'm just not picking up on the indicators, but as far as I can tell, there is no way.

[size="5"]Multiplayer.[/size]

Since I played this game after the Original Xbox LIVE shutdown, I can't say much about multiplayer. I played a bit of split-screen with my bro, but it was rather boring.

[size="5"]Graphics.[/size]

The graphics for this game must have been advanced for the time, as they look pretty good. If you play it on the Xbox 360, though, as with most original Xbox games, you will at times experience a lack of Audio, or some textures will be missing. Nothing too major, though, and it will not affect your overall experience of the game.

[size="5"]Overall.[/size]

This game has an impressive single player campaign, with many fun levels. While the story is short, it is worth it just to hear some of the audio between Sev and Scorch.

(Arming bomb)
Scorch: Was it Red Red Green, or Red Green Red?
Sev: And HE'S supposed to be the Demolitions expert?

[b]The Good.[/b]
-Great Campaign and Story
-Squad command system works like a charm.
-Great Graphics, for the time.
-Funny Dialogue FTW!

[b]The Bad.[/b]
-Multiplayer is pretty boring.
-Could've used a longer campaign...

[b]The Ugly.[/b]
-On a 360, some textures will fail to load.

[size="5"]Overall, I give this game an:[/size]

[size="7"]8.9/10.

Take the time to find and buy this game. If you're a shooter guy, you won't be disappointed.[/size]

While I'm at it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHXy-_mztg0&feature=player_embedded

[size="3"]*This copy of the game was played on the Xbox 360 video game console.[/size]

Feel free to critique anything in this review. I feel that the review was a bit lacking in content...

...i love you, WAIT! No. I remember this game from my younger years back when X-play was watched and Megas XLR was the hottest s*** since the shock and awe campaign, I wanted it so bad but I didnt have Xbox. I love your review as usual but I should recommend you review deeper games FPS dont have much depth to review besides story and control play. Try a RPG or Action adventure that has several different elements such as mechanics, variety, etc.

I liked your review though I do have to say this one has less depth than your first review.

8.5/10

Well, you must admit, Brink did have much more features to talk about, and more stuff to rant about.

Thanks for your opinions. I'll probably will be reviewing an RPG.

Better go and get an RPG. A nice ROM of Chrono Trigger sounds like a good idea right about now...

Archived