CoreGolems - DEF focused archetype

Fluffyfish

Ladies and Gentleman!

I present to you: The “CoreGolem”(s) archetype.

I will talk about my ideas a bit, so if you just want to check the cards, you may scroll down below.

Inspirations:

It was only after checking the Super Heavy Samurais archetype that I realized how much we were missing archetypes where the monster’s DEF isn’t trivial. What happened to the classic Rock monsters with high DEF? (This presented archetype’s monsters doesn’t really have a high natural DEF though, sorry).

Also, my original plan was just making a random Rank 3 archetype (where the boss monster is actually a rank 3 one), luckily it evolved to something more interesting. I decided on it just because I’m tired of those level/rank 4 decks. While there's cool high rank decks, there isn't many below 4, so I felt the need to do it. Plus I thought it would work well with the play style I was looking for of low stats Xyz monsters which get bigger depending on attachments.

Going to the gameplay:

The deck is focused around Rank 3 Xyz Summons and attachments.

The Xyz monsters have effects that capitalize on having a high DEF, but have naturally low stats (even for a R3). Meanwhile the main deck monsters grants a DEF increase while attached (each one gives a different amount of DEF based on some variables). Spell/Traps functions mostly to allow you to properly attach the materials you want to "mold" the Xyz the way you want. So you will play thinking not only which Xyz one you want to summon, but also which materials you want to attach on it. The deck also plays a lot with the graveyard, the main place where you will Special Summon or attach your monsters from. You can attach the Xyz ones to other Xyz as well (through the same means as the main ones), and they give quite decent benefits (but not a DEF increase).

A bit of theme:

All golems were born humans, but became sacrifices for not very well intended people (their new masters), while having any trace of identity erased for serving them. The main deck ones only have what resembles a personality (being more of a “rock” than a sentient being), meanwhile the Xyz ones can still see themselves as particular individuals (and have fleeting memories of their past). Also, having Xyz materials attached to them is something akin to bonding their masses together (the higher DEF is a representation of a larger body), since their bodies have a natural connective tendency (they can mix their body parts if they want so).

Now to the part everyone was waiting for:

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters:]

[spoiler=CoreGolem – Bold Iron]

SZe9q8x.jpg

Earth – Level 3 – Rock/Monster/Effect – 1400/1600

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 "Core Golem" monster from your deck to your Graveyard. While this card is attached to a "Core Golem" Xyz Monster: That monster gains 200 DEF for each "Core Golem" in your graveyard.

[spoiler=CoreGolem – Conducive Copper]

RwZFGPK.jpg

Earth – Level 3 – Rock/Monster/Effect – 1400/1600

When this card is sent to the Graveyard: Add 1 "CoreGolem" monster from your Graveyard to your hand, except "CoreGolem - Conducive Copper". You can only use this effect of "CoreGolem - Conducive Copper" once per turn. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster: That monster gains 300 DEF for each "CoreGolem" attached to it as Xyz Material.

[spoiler=CoreGolem – Lonesome Granite]

2xnikeP.jpg

Earth – Level 3 – Rock/Monster/Effect - 1000/1800

You can banish this card from your graveyard; attach 1 "CoreGolem" from your Graveyard to a "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster you control, then send 1 "CoreGolem" monster from your deck to your graveyard, except "CoreGolem - Lonesome Granite". You can only use this effect of "CoreGolem - Lonesome Granite" once per turn. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster: That monster gains 1000 DEF as long as it is the only card you control.

[spoiler=CoreGolem – Loyal Silver]

A7JJW1M.jpg

Earth – Level 3 – Rock/Monster/Effect - 1000/1400

Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. When a "CoreGolem" monster you control is destroyed: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your graveyard in face-up Attack Position. You can only use this effect of "CoreGolem - Loyal Silver" once per turn. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster: that monster gains 400 DEF for each "CoreGolem" monster you control.

[spoiler=CoreGolem – Prideful Gold]

fqyY6Ux.jpg

Earth – Level 3 – Rock/Monster/Effect - 1400/1400

Target 1 “CoreGolem” monster you control; reduce it’s DEF by 1500 and Special Summon this card from your hand or graveyard. You cannot target a monster with less than 1500 DEF for this effect. You cannot Special Summon monsters during the turn you activate this effect, except "CoreGolem" monsters. You can only use this effect of "CoreGolem - Prideful Gold" once per turn. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz monster: That monster gains 200 DEF for each card your opponent controls.

[spoiler=CoreGolem – Resentful Cobalt]

kvXA4cx.jpg

Earth – Level 3 – Rock/Monster/Effect – 1600/1400

If your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can target 1 face-up Special Summoned monster your opponent controls: Send 1 "CoreGolem" monster from your deck to your graveyard, and if you do, negate that target's effect and reduce it's ATK by half the DEF of the monster sent to the graveyard by this effect until the end phase. You can only use each effect of "CoreGolem - Resentful Cobalt" once per turn. While this card is attached to a "Core Golem" Xyz Monster: That monster gains 500 DEF for each Special Summoned monster your opponent controls.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters:]

[spoiler=CoreGolem - Astounding Determined Lord]

vRS1Tc5.jpg

Light – Rank 3 – Rock/Xyz/Effect – 1500/2000

2 Level 3 Rock-Type monsters.
Once per turn, you can reduce this card's current DEF to 0 until your next Stanby Phase: Target 1 monster your opponent controls whose current ATK is lower than the amount reduced; destroy it. When you activate this effect, you can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; destroy all monsters your opponent controls whose current ATK is lower than the amount reduced instead. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz monster, that monster gains the following effect: Once per turn, at the start of the damage step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster with ATK less than or equal to this card's current DEF: You can destroy your opponent's monster. A monster can only have 1 "CoreGolem - Astounding Determined Lord" attached to it at a time.

[spoiler=CoreGolem - Brutal Unwavering Warrior]

CWJuZoj.jpg

Earth – Rank 3 – Rock/Xyz/Effect – 1000/2000

2 Level 3 Rock-Type monsters.

This card gains ATK equal to half of it's current DEF. Once per turn, if this card attacked this turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; it can make a second attack during this battle phase. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster, that monster gains the following effect: This card can make a second attack during each battle phase. A monster can only have 1 "CoreGolem - Brutal Unwavering Warrior" attached to it at a time.

[spoiler=CoreGolem - Forsaken Vengeful Soul]

pnnDbfu.jpg

Dark – Rank 3 – Rock/Xyz/Effect – 1500/1500

2 Level 3 monsters

If a monster you control battles an opponent's monster: You can reduce this card's DEF by 1000; then reduce the ATK of the opponent's monster by 1000. You cannot activate this effect if this card has less than 1000 DEF. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz monster, that monster gains the following effect: Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle or card effect, it's not destroyed. A monster can only have 1 "CoreGolem - Forsaken Vengeful Soul" attached to it at a time.

[spoiler=CoreGolem - Unshakable Almighty Guardian]

66CJzMK.jpg

Earth – Rank 3 – Rock/Xyz/effect – 1000/2500

3 Level 3 monsters.

All monsters your opponent controls must attack this card, if able. At the end of the damage step, if this Defense Position card was attacked by an opponent's monster whose ATK is lower than this card’s current DEF: you can detach 2 Xyz materials from this card; Destroy the attacking monster, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to that monster’s original ATK. While this card is attached to a "CoreGolem" Xyz monster, that monster gains the following effects: Monsters your opponent controls must attack this card, if able, during the turn they are Special Summoned; If this Defense Position card is attacked by an opponent's monster whose ATK is lower than this card's current DEF: Destroy the attacking monster after the damage step.

[spoiler=Spell/Traps:]

[spoiler=Golems Natural Link]

vaOu2mo.jpg

Spell/Normal

Target 1 "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster you control: Attach 1 "CoreGolem" monster from your graveyard to it as an Xyz Material, then draw 1 card.

[spoiler=Perfect Reconstruction]

jLVhm1k.jpg

Spell/Normal

Banish 1 "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster and 1 non-Xyz "CoreGolem" monster from your graveyard; Special Summon 1 "CoreGolem" monster from your Extra Deck and attach to it 1 non-Xyz "CoreGolem" monster from your Graveyard. Then you can also attach to it "CoreGolem"(s) from your Deck or Graveyard up to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls. You can only activate 1 "Perfect Reconstruction" per turn.

[spoiler=Golems Resilient March]

VgUMtSy.jpg

Trap/Normal

Tribute 1 "CoreGolem" Xyz Monster you control; Special Summon 2 non-Xyz "CoreGolem" monsters from your graveyard, but their effects are negated and they cannot attack, also once during this turn, they cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the graveyard, you can banish this card from your graveyard: Add 1 "CoreGolem" monster from your graveyard to your hand.

[spoiler=Artwork credits]

Astouding Determined Lord: http://neoartcore.deviantart.com/art/Golden-golem-432135280

Golems Natural Link: http://radecmai.deviantart.com/art/Stone-Golem-334144938

Unshakable Almighty guardian: http://shousuke0716.deviantart.com/art/golem-208314041

Lonesome granite: http://leopardsnow.deviantart.com/art/Golem-242861736

Perfect Reconstruction: http://njoo.deviantart.com/art/3-Wiz-and-Iron-Golem-32460331

Brave Unwavering Warrior: http://mysticaldonkey1.deviantart.com/art/Golem-305538414

Ferocious Cobalt: http://highdarktemplar.deviantart.com/art/Rock-Golem-266502054

Prideful Gold: http://sixfrid.deviantart.com/art/Gold-Golem-432265215

Bold Iron: http://ruwall.deviantart.com/art/Asuras-de-Roca-133419475

Forsaken Vengeful Soul: http://alexart911.deviantart.com/art/Golem-563743445

Couldn’t find the rest :/

All in all, hope you enjoy it.

The best is yet to come! (ARC-V is just great)

I honestly love this entire set, it seems fun and is a nice change from the usual skit of relying on ATK power. I only have one concern and it's with Golems Natural Link. The ability to attach a Xyz without having to Xyz summon is incredible and very powerful tool, especially with the benefit of getting some draw power. It might be too quick though being a Quick Play. I'd wait to hear others before you listen to my concern. I give this set a 9/10 (waiting on the rise of bedrock-related golems).

Bumping time.

Also added "Basic Xyz Plays" to the main topic, so the reader can have a better idea of how the deck flows.

By the way, I tried using Duel Portal to test the deck, but I'm too embarassed to ask someone to duel using my deck. I can't even make friends online, that's me.

I just have to say seeing my cards organized in a proper deck gave me a big "SHIBIRERU" feeling (I didn't considered opening two browsers though, need to try).

Bumping because I still can't finish my next achetype (I took way too long before giving up on my first idea).

Also, looking at this topic right now, I may have talked way too much before presenting my cards. Makes me embarrassed (can't judge people for not reading).

Taking note to try to control myself a bit more next time.

Bump because I could finally test the deck.

And I'm surprisingly happy with how it turned out. (actually stronger than expected, but far from overbearing).

Also organized this topic a bit more because only yesterday I realized it was a mess (so much space between paragraphs).

Anyway, I should be posting my next creation until tomorrow.

Look forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Relevant changes made.

Although decent, they used to rely too much on cards like "Crane Crane" and "Gorgonic Gargoyle" for actually doing an Xyz Summon. Since their means for Special Summoning themselves were overall quite inconsistent. The following changes were made to address that and a bit more.

- All Xyz Monsters lost their clause of sending 1 CGolem from deck to grave when destroyed. That was only an artificial way I used to give it some "forced" consistency, but feels awkward and is inefficient (specially since the deck had troubles Xyz Summoning).

- "CoreGolem - Prideful Gold" now is able to Summon itself from graveyard (it felt like it should do it already). Thanks to that, the DEF of a couple CGolems was reduced to below 1500 (the ones able to Special Summon themselves someway). Now you can instantly Xyz Summon by Normal Summoning a "CoreGolem - Bold Iron" any given moment in a game.

- "CoreGolem - Loyal Silver" now cannot be destroyed by battle once per turn. Now it's actually worth most of the time to pay the cost for its effect (the last interaction made so it was only worth when the opponent attacked with all his monsters already, otherwise it would just die). Its ATK was reduced to 1000 and it must be Special Summoned in ATK Position (so it just lower the damage taken by 1000 if used for defense).

- "CoreGolem - Lonesome Granite" effect now also sends 1 CGolem from your deck to your grave after the resolution of it's effect. With this, it's worth using most of the time (I wanted the attachment effects to feel as costless as possible, since the Golems have a natural "link", all attachments should feel "free" by nature).

- "CoreGolem - Resentful Cobalt" went though the biggest changes. It's graveyard effect now is gone, replaced by a Special Summoning effect from hand as long as your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster. Also received the only way main deck monsters have to put up a fight without relying on Xyz Summoning only (can also be used to support Xyz plays, of course), you can target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls and negate its effect and reduce its attack until the end phase. This card is now officially the "Anti-Special Summoned monsters" card. Thanks to the changes, its attachment effect was reduced from 600 to 500 bonus DEF per Special Summoned monster.

- "Golems Natural Link" lost it's Quick-Play spell benefit (now its a normal spell). I realized there weren't many situations where using the card right away wasn't the optimal choice (again, it was my intention to make the attachments as costless as possible), and being Q-P was quite pointless with the interactions possible (there are a few interactions which could benefit from it, mainly surprise DEF boost, but its hardly worth delaying a draw 1, you know?).

- "Golems Unavoidable Takeover" was renamed to "Golems Resilient March". It's new effect revolves around "recycling" the Xyz monsters who already spent all their DEF or Xyz Materials (my initial intention with the trap was something akin to it, and now it feels like I hit the spot with it). By tributing 1 Xyz, you can Special Summon 2 non-Xyz from grave right away (they also get a opt destruction resistance, so you can use it in your opponent's turn or to save your monsters), and then using them for creating another refreshed Xyz. Also has a graveyard effect which adds 1 CGolem from grave to your hand (the deck needed that).

Archived