[Written] Vesselion (15/15)

towitori

Vesselion would be included in a series of archetypes in a universe similar to Duel Terminal. I'm calling it "Luxverse".

Vesselion is an archetype of WATER Machine-Type monsters (and some WIND Machine-types as well) They are based from Naval Battleships and the different types of it. This is why they work really powerful when they are grouped, with their effects activating if you control another Vesselion monster with a different name. They don't have a Extra Deck monster so they rely on Carrier-Type (similar on how Carriers during a battle is vital) to swarm the field and make use of their various effects to overwhelm the enemy.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters (7/7)]

[spoiler=Vesselion Ship Destroyer-Type]

Vesselion Ship Destroyer-Type

WATER / *4

Machine / Effect

1800 / 1800

If this card is Special Summoned while you control another face-up "Vesselion Ship" monster with a different name: it gains 600 ATK and DEF. You can only Special Summon 1 "Vesselion Ship Destroyer-Type" per turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Ship Cruiser-Type]

Vesselion Ship Cruiser-Type

WATER / *5

Machine / Effect

2000 / 2000

If you control no "Vesselion Ship" monster, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. If this card is Special Summoned while you control another face-up "Vesselion Ship" monster with a different name: Add 1 "Vesselion" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. You can only Special Summon 1 "Vesselion Ship Cruiser-Type" per turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Ship Submarine-Type]

Vesselion Ship Submarine-Type

WATER / *3

Machine / Effect

900 / 900

Each time this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: It gains 200 ATK and DEF. While you control another face-up "Vesselion Ship" monster with a different name, your opponent cannot target this card for an attack, and this card can attack your opponent directly.

[spoiler=Vesselion Ship Carrier-Type]

Vesselion Ship Carrier-Type

WATER / *6

Machine / Effect

2500 / 2500

Once per turn, during your Main Phase: You can Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower "Vesselion" monster from your hand or Deck. While you control another face-up "Vesselion Ship" monster with a different name, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. While you control a face-up "Vesselion Aircraft" monster, this card cannot be destroyed by battle.

[spoiler=Vesselion Ship Battleship-Type]

Vesselion Ship Battleship-Type

WATER / *7

Machine / Effect

3000 / 3000

Cannot be Special Summoned. While you control another face-up "Vesselion" monster with a different name, neither player can Special Summon cards from their Extra Decks. During either player's Battle Phase, when this card battles a Special Summoned monster: You can activate this card's effect; Gain ATK equal to half of the ATK of the opponent's monster it is battling, until the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Vesselion Battleship-Type" once per turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Aircraft Fighter-type]

Vesselion Aircraft Fighter-type

WIND / *2

Machine / Effect

500 / 500

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return 1 card your opponent controls to its owner's hand. If this card is Special Summoned while you control another face-up "Vesselion" monster with a different name: You can Normal Summmon a "Vesselion Ship" monster in addition to your Normal Summon or Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) You can only Special Summon 1 "Vesselion Aircraft Fighter-type" per turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Aircraft Bomber-Type]

Vesselion Aircraft Bomber-type

WIND / *1

Machine / Effect

200 / 200

When this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls. If this card is Special Summoned while you control another face-up "Vesselion" monster with a different name: You can Special Summon 1 "Vesselion Ship" monster from your hand. You can only Special Summon 1 "Vesselion Aircraft Bomber-type" per turn.

[spoiler=Spell Cards (4/4)]

[spoiler=Vesselion Harbor]

Vesselion Harbor

Spell / Field

While there are 2 or more face-up "Vesselion" monsters on the field with different names, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Vesselion" monster you control; Special Summon 1 "Vesselion" monster from your Deck that is 1 Level higher than the Tributed Monster. You cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck the turn you use this effect.

[spoiler=Vesselion Repair Unit]

Vesselion Repair Unit

Spell / Normal

Target 3 "Vesselion" monsters in your Graveyard with different names: Shuffle all 3 into the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can banish this card in your Graveyard: Add 1 "Vesselion Ship" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use 1 "Vesselion Repair Unit" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Construction Site]

Vesselion Construction Site

Spell / Normal

Add 1 "Vesselion Ship" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can banish this card in your Graveyard: Add 1 "Vesselion Aircraft" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Vesselion Construction Site" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Training Camp]

Vesselion Training Camp

Spell / Quick Play

Target 1 "Vesselion Ship" monster you control, then, send 1 "Vesselion" monster from your hand to the Graveyard; The target monster gains ATK equal to the ATK of the sent monster, until the End Phase. You can banish this card in your Graveyard: All "Vesselion" monsters you control gains 1000 ATK and DEF. During the End Phase, destroy all monsters that were affected by this effect. You can only use 1 "Vesselion Training Camp" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Trap Cards (4/4)]

[spoiler=Vesselion Radar Sensor]

Vesselion Radar Sensor

Trap / Counter

Activate only when your opponent would Special Summons a monster from their Extra Deck while you control a face-up "Vesselion Ship" monster: Send 1 "Vesselion" monster from your hand to the Graveyard; Negate the Special Summon, and if you do, destroy it.

[spoiler=Vesselion Torpedo Strike]

Vesselion Torpedo Strike

Trap / Normal

Activate only when a "Vesselion Ship" monster you control destroys a monster by battle: Send 1 "Vesselion" monster from your hand to the Graveyard; that card can attack once again. You can banish this card in your Graveyard: Destroy 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls. You can only use 1 "Vesselion Torpedo Strike" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Naval Artillery]

Vesselion Naval Artillery

Trap / Normal

Target 1 face-up "Vesselion Ship" monster you control; it gains 300 ATK and DEF for each "Vesselion" monster you control, until the End Phase. You can banish this card in your Graveyard: Inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each "Vesselion" monster in your Graveyard with different names. You can only use 1 "Vesselion Naval Artillery" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Vesselion Armor Piercing]

Vesselion Armor Piercing

Trap / Continuous

When a "Vesselion" monster you control attacks a Defense Position monster, it gains 200 ATK during the Damage Step and inflict piercing damage to your opponent. During each of your End Phase, Discard 1 card or destroy this card.

Aight, ship time. I'll admit, I'm not the best when it comes to Machine-type monsters in the game, but I think I'll be able to handle this. First off, the fact that these cards, all of them, have a hard Special Summoning condition is definitely good, considering that Machine support is abundant in the game.

MONSTERS:

VS Destroyer- A decent card with good stats and the potential to gain even more attack when its SS'd. Comboing this card with CotH while you already control a face-up VShip or VAircraft could be deadly, considering how potent 2400 ATK can be. But, unfortunately, aside from being a beater, this card does nothing for the archetype except exist. I guess he helps you to make a Gear Gigant X, plus he's a Gold Gadget target (when it comes to the TCG), so it could potentially see some use. 4/5 nice beater, most of the time is simply a stepping stone.

VS Cruiser- Alrighty then, a powerful 2000/2000 monster that can be NS'd if you control no monsters. No complaints about that: Cyber Dragons do that, except faster since they SS. Still, its searching capabilities are extremely good, considering this guy can search out a card that can search out another Vesselion card (Construction Site). Very good card, and it isn't abuse-able to my knowledge, what with the hard OPT on its summoning. 5/5 a searcher + 2000 ATK means it can survive and devastate your opponent. Hard to say it isn't good.

VS Submarine- Alone, useless. Combined with Destroyer, deadly. Especially if you use Training Camp on this guy. He has to potential to wipe out half your opponent's life points in one attack, though it's unlikely that he will. Still, the possibility is there. Perhaps add a clause that he cannot be targeted by card effects while attacking? He'll still be susceptible to things like Mirror Force and the like, but he won't be able to be targeted by your Spell Card, and just have him attack for game. That infinite gain reminds me of Flamvell Uruquizas, and it makes this card a tad bit better. Unfortunately, if you don't already have a face-up Vesselion, this is one hell of a dead draw early game. 3.5/5 a great card in tandem, but terrible alone; worse than average, even.

VS Carrier- Ah yes. The archetyptual glue. Nice. This guy's solid all around- solid stats, solid effects, solid level, and for a psuedo-boss, he surely puts in the necessary work. Don't change this card: it's perfect as-is. 5/5 would give it a 6 if I could.

VS Battleship- I hate floodgate bosses. Even if you HAVE to tribute two monsters to get this guy out, it's not like it's hard to do. If you wanted, you could mesh this deck with Dinomists and Pendulum all the way. While Extra Deck slicing is something that Monarchs do, I honestly don't think that floodgating is something this deck needs to do. If anything, the Battleship should help speed up the Deck, instead of slowing down your opponents so you can keep up. 4/5 good effects as a boss should have, but floodgating is no fun for anyone.

VA Fighter- While this thing has a good NS effect (non-targeting return to hand is always nice), chances are this guy will either be fodder, or be SS'd solely, with the intent of getting to Normal Summon again, and possibly even tribute. After all, this guy is a Magnet Circle LV2 target and a Machina Armored Unit hound, making it super easy to get him out, tribute, then search the other, which may be of concern. However, seeing how easy it's to get this guy out in the first place (and simply within the archetype), I feel this is a pretty trivial issue that I bring up. 4/5.

VA Bomber- Pretty much everything I said for Fighter would work here, excluding the non-targeting destruction (worse than return to hand), and it's more direct than Fighter, which is really good. 5/5, it does Fighter's job, but better.

- - - - -Spells- - - - -

Vl Harbor- Good, a semi-glue Field Spell that protects itself and starts up its own combos without having to have you go too minus is always nice. I can see why you made Battleship a floodgate now: it appears to me that this archetype functions similarly to Monarchs in that it punishes Extra Deck plays (for both players), but promotes summons from the deck. Interesting. 4.5/5 just wish it gave your monsters even a minor ATK/DEF boost.

Vl Repair- Basically the deck's Yang Zing Path fused with an archetyptual TWRA. It's alright, I suppose, since it allows you to recycle lost cards, and even get a draw to help with plays. Not much to say here, just a solid card in general. 4/5 generic, but good.

Vl Construction- The from-hand searcher. This card worries me since it searches ANY Vesselion card, even the boss monster. I almost feel like this card does too much, because RotA did the exact same this card does, minus the banishing from the grave to search, again. Still, it's good you've got a hard OPT on it. 5/5 generic searcher, but reliable.

Vl Training Camp- This seems like a bit of a problematic card, since as I said before, it can be used in tandem with Submarine to rack up some major first, second turn damage if you decide to use the archetype. Still, it's much better that it sends from the Grave and not the hand. Still, considering you have Repair, it's hard to believe you could go minus with this card, especiallyif you already have Repair in hand. Other than what I mentioned, this card is fine. Nice drawbacks and hard OPT to wrap it up nicely.

- - - - -Traps- - - - -

Vl Radar Sensor- So... a more costly version of Black Horn of Heaven, I see? What you do have going for you here is that this card benefits the archetype by adding targets to the Graveyard to be used later.  I think I'd still personally use BHoH instead. 3.5/5 not bad card, but it already exists in 3 different trap forms.

Vl Torpedo Strike- It seems like, thanks to its Spells and Traps, Vesselion will have a hard time with bricking late game, if there is one, thanks to all the cards it sends from the hand to the Graveyard. Anyways, onto the card in specific. While its first effect is underwhelming at best, its second effect is where it makes it worth use. While it'd be nice if it were all monsters instead of SS'd ones, it does help to let the archetype clear a specifically problematic monster, if they need to. 3.5/5 just wish its field eff was decent.

Vl Naval Artillery- Little bit of wording error there: "Vl Battle Guns" vs. "Vl Naval Artillery". Not too useful a card, I'll admit, with the boost it can give your monster (immediately) being only 300 ATK. While it can prove problematic at first, it's quickly amended by its EP restriction. But, the possible 1/4th LP burn from this card is very potent, if very Graveyard reliant. 3/5 can't really see myself using it, but it's pretty niche.

Vl Armor Piercing- Ugh. This is just not a fun card. It's not useful in the slightest on the field (I mean, 200 and piercing, is that it?), and with its cost to keep it alive, it makes you wonder if you should even have created the card. Its cost is dumb, and its boost is dumber. I really see no point in ever using this card. 2/5 it's just not that good, in my eyes.

- - - - -

All in all, a very nice archetype. It has a specific pattern it follows, which is always nice to see, and it sticks to it to a "T". While the hard OPTs slow the deck down quite a bit, there really was no way around it, unfortunately. Still, the monsters and spells are refreshing and fun to read, so I assume they're fun to play. Overall, an 8/10 from me. I like the archetype, but I just wish you didn't make the boss a floodgate, and that more of the Trap Cards were useful. Have a nice night.

Archived