Mathematician Archetype

I like maths, I like Yu-Gi-Oh. Go figure. For some reason I cannot post the images (when I click on upload to Imgur it doesn't do it properly).

Carl Friedrich Gauss, The Genius Mathematician

LIGHT Level 3

Spellcaster / Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned: Search your Deck for 1 "Mathematician" monster and add it to your hand. If this card is sent to the graveyard as Synchro Material for a Synchro Summon, discard 1 card: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field.

ATK: 1000 DEF: 1000

Leonhard Euler, The Eminent Mathematician

LIGHT Level 1

Spellcaster / Tuner

During your Main Phase, you can place 1 card from your hand or your field to the top of your Deck: Special Summon this card from your hand. If you control a "Mathematician" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your graveyard but banish it when it leaves (Except during the turn this card was sent to the graveyard).

ATK: 300 DEF: 200

Sir Isaac Newton, The Legendary Mathematician

LIGHT Level 4

Spellcaster / Synchro / Effect

1 "Mathematician" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: Draw 1 card. Once per turn, you can send 1 monster from your Deck to your graveyard: Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower monster from your hand. When this card is destroyed, by battle or by effect: Send 1 card you control to the graveyard; Draw 1 card.
ATK: 1700 DEF: 1200

These are the first 3 cards of my archetype "Mathematician". Mathematicians are supposed to make life easier so I made them kinda splash-able. They are supposed to be support cards having their own engine to power other decks. So far, the ideal play is Gauss > Euler > Newton > Draw and maybe set up a Synchro play. Or, Euler > Gauss > Newton > ect. All monsters will be low Level LIGHT Spellcasters. I was thinking of adding some Xyz monsters to the archetype too.

Keep in mind, with Newton's effect, you'd be able to draw the card you put on top of the deck so there is no real cost. 

Let me know what your thoughts are. There will be more cards in the archetype - I just need to think of them first.

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.

Well this certainly makes Level 4 Synchros easy to make. Of course, nowadays, while being Limited, Mathematician (the OG) is really not used all that often for the purpose you seem to have intended for it. After all, while it does send cards to the Graveyard, it's mainly used as an engine to get slower Decks going, and most meta decks (no offense) won't touch this. While these cards certainly have potential to become a strong sole archetype, as they are, they are quite pointless to run in any form of meta deck. Unlike the Monarch Engine, or the Odd-Eyes Engine, this doesn't significantly speed up a deck: all it seems to do is help deck thin a tad, before letting you make reasonably easy Level 4 Synchro plays.

Gauss- An okay card, I suppose. While you probably won't keep it alive long enough to use it as Synchro Material, like you intend, it can help you search out the OG Mathematician, and with his effect, you can mill Leonhard, and then have a free Level 4. While a decent engine, I'm not even sure the current format of Quasar would use this: after all, they want to conserve their Normal Summon for something absolutely necessary. Still, nothing notably broken with the card, so it has that running for it. 3/5 the general "good" grade I give to cards that have potential, but just can't fulfill all of their potential.

Leonhard- Now, this card is where combos start. It's essentially a free Synchro Summon if you use it in tandem with the OG Mathematician, and with it being Level 1 and having no qualms about what it's used for, you can use this in Quasar Decks (if you do decide to add this "engine") to make Formula Synchron just a little bit easier. Unfortunately, you ruined this plan by forcing it to play slowly. Honestly, you didn't really need to add that, but as is, it's fine. 4/5 could be a 5/5, but it's too slow, and I kind of wish it had some kind of reward for being used as Synchro Material for Newton, but w/e.

Newton- Good this thing isn't super generic, otherwise this card would be ABUSED in Quasar decks. Its draw effect is almost enough to make me think that running this engine could be more viable than not. Almost. Even so, its second effect is simply beautiful. Send to Special? And it can be ANY card? Like, let's say, Dandylion? Honestly, the more I read, the more viable this card is. Unfortunately, it requires you to at least run Leonhard, who has no special way to bring himself out unless you run Mathematician or Gauss. Still, this card almost makes this engine worth it. 4.5/5 if only it was generic... then maybe Quasar'd have a chance at the meta again.

- - - - -

Overall a very brilliant take on Mathematicians. You've done a great job of creating a semi-loop that generates a possibly powerful engine that could help bring Synchro decks back into the limelight. Quasar, of course, comes to mind. The only unfortunate thing is how slow Leonhard is and how Newton is not as generic as it can be. Ignoring that, however, you have a very, very promising looking archetype! 4/5 (and believe me, that's a good grade).

Well this certainly makes Level 4 Synchros easy to make. Of course, nowadays, while being Limited, Mathematician (the OG) is really not used all that often for the purpose you seem to have intended for it. After all, while it does send cards to the Graveyard, it's mainly used as an engine to get slower Decks going, and most meta decks (no offense) won't touch this. While these cards certainly have potential to become a strong sole archetype, as they are, they are quite pointless to run in any form of meta deck. Unlike the Monarch Engine, or the Odd-Eyes Engine, this doesn't significantly speed up a deck: all it seems to do is help deck thin a tad, before letting you make reasonably easy Level 4 Synchro plays.

Gauss- An okay card, I suppose. While you probably won't keep it alive long enough to use it as Synchro Material, like you intend, it can help you search out the OG Mathematician, and with his effect, you can mill Leonhard, and then have a free Level 4. While a decent engine, I'm not even sure the current format of Quasar would use this: after all, they want to conserve their Normal Summon for something absolutely necessary. Still, nothing notably broken with the card, so it has that running for it. 3/5 the general "good" grade I give to cards that have potential, but just can't fulfill all of their potential.

Leonhard- Now, this card is where combos start. It's essentially a free Synchro Summon if you use it in tandem with the OG Mathematician, and with it being Level 1 and having no qualms about what it's used for, you can use this in Quasar Decks (if you do decide to add this "engine") to make Formula Synchron just a little bit easier. Unfortunately, you ruined this plan by forcing it to play slowly. Honestly, you didn't really need to add that, but as is, it's fine. 4/5 could be a 5/5, but it's too slow, and I kind of wish it had some kind of reward for being used as Synchro Material for Newton, but w/e.

Newton- Good this thing isn't super generic, otherwise this card would be ABUSED in Quasar decks. Its draw effect is almost enough to make me think that running this engine could be more viable than not. Almost. Even so, its second effect is simply beautiful. Send to Special? And it can be ANY card? Like, let's say, Dandylion? Honestly, the more I read, the more viable this card is. Unfortunately, it requires you to at least run Leonhard, who has no special way to bring himself out unless you run Mathematician or Gauss. Still, this card almost makes this engine worth it. 4.5/5 if only it was generic... then maybe Quasar'd have a chance at the meta again.

- - - - -

Overall a very brilliant take on Mathematicians. You've done a great job of creating a semi-loop that generates a possibly powerful engine that could help bring Synchro decks back into the limelight. Quasar, of course, comes to mind. The only unfortunate thing is how slow Leonhard is and how Newton is not as generic as it can be. Ignoring that, however, you have a very, very promising looking archetype! 4/5 (and believe me, that's a good grade).

Gauss: The ideal play would be Normal Summon, search either Mathematician or Euler. I see that forces you to go with the Euler Synchro play as Mathematician needs to be Normal Summoned again. Once Euler is searched: Special Summon him and Synchro into Newton. Perhaps I should make a Spell Card allowing you to make another Normal Summon (obvs not Double Summon, I mean make a card that can have a second effect in the graveyard or something). I see how it may need tweeking or support to make it better.

Euler: Not much to say here. I guess I could make it faster :)

Newton: That's the way ;) Didn't want him being too OP thought so that's why I made him generic.

Thanks for the feedback man :)

Archived