Sailor Moon set [7/?] v1.1

Flinsbon

Okay, so here's the rundown:

I casually made cards on this site until a few years ago when I started college. I have some more free time at the moment, so I wanted to get back into making cards. I almost always make pop culture cards because my creativity is absolutely awful when it comes to archetype ideas. Sailor Moon is my favorite anime, so I am attempting to make a set that would seriously compete in today's meta (or at least stand a chance, heh). If you do not know much about Sailor Moon, or you simply forget, The next few paragraphs will briefly outline the series and its main characters, which should help explain the effects of the cards.

Basically, Sailor Moon is a show about 5 middle school girls who find/are found by these two cats. The two cats "awaken" these girls one at a time to fight an enemy that was responsible for destroying their previous life. From there, it's basically Power Rangers, but they're all girls. You get the idea.

Character backgrounds and their personalities/powers:

Sailor Moon - De facto leader of the group. Sailor Moon has access to the strongest attacks on the team, but generally wimps around if she feels alone/forgets about her friends. She is generally the first to transform in the show. Sailor Moon is the first girl awakened by the cat Luna. Sailor Moon and Luna then proceed to assemble the group one by one. Has attacks related to light/love.

Sailor Mercury - Second girl awakened by Luna. Sailor Mercury is the most intelligent of the group and has a visor capable of analyzing enemy strengths and weaknesses. The first "attack" she learns is a mist that does no damage, but shields everyone in the group from enemy vision. Has attacks related to water/ice.

Sailor Mars - Third girl awakened by Luna. Sailor Mars has moderate psychic powers, often having visions of future events or enemies and sensing evil auras. She has a special attack, unrelated to her awakened abilities, which allows her to dispel or inhibit evil spirits. Has attacks related to fire.

Sailor Jupiter - Fourth girl awakened by Luna. Sailor Jupiter can be somewhat hot-tempered and was previously considered a delinquent for getting involved in fights, though she is calmer after making some true friends. Her physical strength is particularly high for a girl, enough to lift most men over her head. Has attacks related to electricity and plants.

Sailor Venus - The actual leader and shot-caller of the group.Technically the first girl to be awakened and the only one awakened by the cat Artemis. Joined the team only after the other four were already awakened and fighting together. It is Sailor Venus' sworn duty to let no harm befall Sailor Moon, no matter the cost. Has attacks related to light/love.

The cards:

This turned out to be somewhat of a controlly-type deck (the characters rarely won by brute force, anyway). I will be the first to admit that my OCG is not great, but I tried to learn as much as I could from the topic on OCG. I don't know a heck of a lot about the meta, but I get the idea. For the most part, the cards are meant to do something when they hit the field, as in the show, generally the girls make all their attacks in the first few seconds of the fight.

The images of the girls are official album arts and the images of the cats are directly from the new Sailor Moon remake, Sailor Moon Crystal. The cards were made on TCG Editor (because pendula).

[spoiler=Sailor Moon]

QiLiwdi.jpg

Sailor Moon
Level 5 | LIGHT | Warrior | Effect

When this card is Summoned: Special Summon 1 level 4 "Sailor" monster from your Deck, then activate 1 of these effects, depending on the monster that was Summoned:
● "Sailor Mercury": Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls.
● "Sailor Mars": Discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand.
● "Sailor Jupiter": Destroy 1 monster your opponent controls.
● "Sailor Venus": Look at your opponent's Extra Deck, then banish up to 2 cards from their Extra Deck.
You can only use this effect of "Sailor Moon" twice per turn.

2200/1600

[spoiler=Sailor Mercury]

WAA3gEX.jpg

Sailor Mercury
Level 4 | WATER | Warrior | Effect

When this card attacks: your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the turn. Once per turn, if a "Sailor" monster you control is targeted by a card effect: you can negate the effect and destroy that card, then your opponent draws 1 card.

1500/1800

[spoiler=Sailor Mars]

kWmSXoa.jpg

Sailor Mars
Level 4 | FIRE | Warrior | Effect

When this card is Summoned: look at your opponent's hand. Once per turn, when your opponent activates the effect of a card in their hand or Graveyard: you can pay half your LP; negate the activation and effect of that card and banish it.

1700/900

[spoiler=Sailor Jupiter]

HcRCXev.jpg

Sailor Jupiter
Level 4 | LIGHT | Warrior | Effect

If this card is Summoned, you can change the battle position of 1 monster your opponent controls. When this card attacks: inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. Once per turn, when this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: this card gains 600 ATK until the end of the turn, and it can attack once again in a row.

1900/600

[spoiler=Sailor Venus]

AGwOw3d.jpg

Sailor Venus
Level 4 | LIGHT | Warrior | Effect

If this card is Summoned: you can banish this card; add 1 "Luna" or "Artemis" from your Deck to your hand. If a "Sailor Moon" you control would be destroyed: you can discard this card from your hand; banish that card, then you can Special Summon that card at the end of the turn.

1600/1500

[spoiler=Luna]

00eLsEq.jpg

Luna
Level 2 | EARTH | Beast | Pendulum | Effect

1 - 1
When this card is placed in the Pendulum Zone: you can discard 1 "Sailor" monster from your hand; put 1 "Artemis" from your Deck into your other Pendulum Zone.

You can banish this card: Special Summon 1 level 5 or lower "Sailor" monster, except "Sailor Venus", from you hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Luna" once per turn.

1100/900

[spoiler=Artemis]

sUbkTMa.jpg

Artemis
Level 2 | EARTH | Beast | Pendulum | Effect

6 - 6

When this card is placed in the Pendulum Zone: you can discard 1 "Sailor" monster from your hand; put 1 "Luna" from your Deck into your other Pendulum Zone.

You can banish this card: Special Summon 1 "Sailor Venus" from you hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Artemis" once per turn.

900/1100

PLEASE CnC, as I really want this set to work out and am already planning to make at least the other 5 warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_RZhh44NY

Nananana, Sailor Moon!~

Alright Alright, I've always had a soft spot for pop culture-based cards, so let's give this a look! As usual, I'm going to provide somewhat short reviews for each card, then have my overall opinion at the end. Without further ado, let's save the world!

Monsters:

Sailor Moon - Obviously the star of the show, with a phenomenal effect to boot! Seems this card needs some setup in order to be directly summoned, but its incredibly easy to meet this condition. This is effective in all stages of the game, being able to summon any of the Sailor monsters at your own whim, and either Non-Target destroy S/T or monster, discard a card from your opponent's hand at-random, or banish 2 cards in their Extra Deck. It also has an on-summon condition, being synergetic w/ any Special Summon-based effects, with great stats for its level. Seems absolutely overkill for how easy it is to meet this condition, and is central to the entire archetype. Very creative approach to centralizing Sailor Moon as the staple monster, but depending on the other monsters, it could easily be overkill.

Sailor Mercury - Providing a non-target for any "Sailor" monster, including itself, and disabling S/T effects when it simply declares an attack? Very powerful indeed, especially if you can follow up that declaration w/ more potent plays during your MP2. Does quite a lot for a generic Level 4 Warrior-Type.

Sailor Mars - So, you get to look at your opponent's hand, then negate ANY effect they activate in-hand and Graveyard for a 1000LP cost? Let's not do that.

Sailor Jupiter - When it's summoned, it non-target switches battle position of an opponent's monster, then if it inflicts damage, it gains 600ATK and can attack again, then repeat this until your opponent dies? Let's not have a 1-card OTK.

Sailor Venus - Not sure what Luna or Artemis do, but it could be potentially very powerful. It also tags out a monster if it would be destroyed, and SS's it at the end of the turn. So if you have a Sailor Moon about to be destroyed, you tag it out, and SS it again to generate its effect, and manipulate your opponent's board during their end phase. Depending on how powerful Luna or Artemis are, this could be absolutely broken.

Luna - So, it's an unrestricted scale searcher that gives you an additional Normal Summon, while being able to SS ANY Sailor monster (except Venus) from your Deck or Graveyard? Yeah, that's nutty

Artemus - Same idea, being able to generate free advantage and scales for nothing, and SS a Venus from your deck to search another scale, and Pendulum Summon that same turn. Absolutely crazy.

Overall:

I like the ideas implemented into the archetype, but the power levels of the cards are starkly too powerful. Cards loop into each other, and generate incredibly powerful board presence, control, and hand advantage w/ searching capabilities. Everything works together very well, which is in character, but too generic and easy to abuse. The LP costs are arbitrary and not consistent across the entire archetype, not being a fair cost to the amount of advantage generated from a single card. Each card in the archetype fits characteristically to the source material, and is very unique! However, many of the cards need to be toned down significantly, and the inclusion of the Pendulum Scales is insanely overpowered. Overkill is a key word to use here, but with some more restrictions, this could be a very fun and unique archetype!

nNcp2I8v_400x400.png~

Thank you for the feedback! What do you think of these adjustments?

Sailor Moon - Leave alone for now.

Sailor Mercury - remove non-targeting effect, everything else the same.

Sailor Mars - Make her effect once per turn, and make the cost half your LP.

Sailor Jupiter - I wanted her effect to be only once per turn. Does "can attack once more" not mean only one additional attack per turn? Do I have to also add the once per turn clause?

Sailor Venus - change cost of searching Luna/Artemis to banish her from the field

Luna - remove normal summon, make cost to search Artemis discard a sailor from hand, make cost to search a sailor banish from the field instead of return to extra deck

Artemis - remove special summon, make cost to search Luna discard a sailor from hand, make cost to search venus banish from the field instead of return to extra deck

What do you think of these changes? I was initially concerned that the deck would falter without drawing Sailor Moon, but I seem to have over-adjusted the other effects. I will also continue to adjust the effects as I add the other sailors as well (in the future).

EDIT: Changes have been made to the cards. I added to Sailor Mercury that once per turn, she can stop and destroy 1 card effect targeting a "Sailor" monster in exchange for your opponent drawing a card. I wanted her to be able to do something, even if she doesn't attack.

Heyo~

Decided to do a brief re-review of each card and their implicated changes. Let's go!

Monsters:

Sailor Moon - For now, this can stay as-is, but having the effect trigger twice per turn could lead to massive abuse w/ Graveyard or other SS effects (like COTH, or other misc cards) to thin your opponent's Extra Deck, make them discard 2 cards, or manipulate their board w/o cost. The only effect that genuinely terrifies me still is the discard, since it can trigger multiple times over in a single turn. Besides this, it seems very reasonable as the soul of the archetype.

Sailor Mercury - This is an interesting hit. I like the trade-off of protecting your minions at the cost of providing your opponent an extra card, but that's kinda the issue. There's no risk for your opponent to target the minions, since they're going to go zero by attempting the effect in the first place. Makes it a far more unique card, but its potency is debatable.

Sailor Mars - While this is a much more significant cost, especially considering the other Sailor cards have 1000LP costs to search (edit: turns out that was changed, so nevermind on that point), it doesn't detain my base criticism on the card. It's the fact that the card is a splashable Warrior-Type that provides you knowledge on your opponent's hand, and negates any direct activations from hand. True, there are mechanics in the game to work around this (like setting the card, then activating), but it's an incredibly powerful effect regardless to have in a 1700ATK body.

Sailor Jupiter - Much more tame this time around, but it's still a potential 4400 battle damage out of 1 normal summonable level 4 monster, and can get around a large portion of high ATK monsters. Introducing a card like this to punish high ATK cards (since ATK is objectively better than DEF in most decks) and threaten big damage is nice, but w/o anything on board, this card threatens easy OTK's.

Sailor Venus - That's a far more fair cost, considering the benefits generated off Luna or Artemis. It's more based around Luna and Artemis now, more than Venus.

Luna - Having the discard cost instead of LP cost fixes all the issues w/ the scales being too generic, and is relatively fair. Still, summoning any Sailor monster except Venus is incredibly potent. Perhaps if Artemis summoned Level 4 Sailor monsters, and Luna summoned Level 5 Sailor monsters? Just a thought, considering summoning Venus off Artemis is significantly less powerful now.

Artemis - Again, a lot of the feedback intertwines w/ Luna, so not much more to say here.

Overall:

Significantly better than the previous review, but still got a couple of kinks here and there. It's better to establish a more fair foundation for the archetype, and release more support afterwards. There's a lot more potential here, and I'd be more than happy to check it out once you've put more work in. Thanks for taking the feedback well!

Archived