Re-ffecting: A Weekly CAC Project, Updates Thursdays - 15 Sept: Super Double Summon

notcleverusername

Welcome to my weekly project, Re-ffecting!

Every Thursday, I will select 1 pre-existing card that I deem "not fun to play" for whatever reason, and errata the effect to increase its usefulness.

I don't usually like erratas. Most of the time, it is because I feel the erratas go overboard on cards that don't necessarily need erratas in the first place--my favorite example, as always, is Dark Magician of Chaos. I also don't approve of the use of erratas as a way to shrink the banlist, or erratas that almost completely remove or alter the original function of the card.

As such, I will try to keep my erratas conservative in scope-- hopefully nothing that majorly changes how the card functions, but ideally widens its possibilities within already existing decks and concepts. For the most part, erratas will be mainly on restrictions, costs, and conditions, rather than creating or editing effects, and I intend for most of them to be buffs that make poor or nearly unplayable cards into viable cards, without breaking them. For the nerfs I might do, most of them will probably be to remove loops or reuse while preserving almost the entire focus of the card.

Newest card(s):
15 Sept 2016: Super Double Summon
There is nothing "super" about Super Double Summon, which somehow manages to be arguably worse than its original form--as in, completely outclassed. The buffs I'm applying this time are fairly major, and combined with PSCT fixing and removal of the drawback, I'm more or less completely changing the text. Though the original Normal Summon of a Gemini you control is kept, an optional Normal Summon from the hand is also added.
Super Double Summon
Spell Card
Quick-Play
Target 1 Gemini monster you control; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon it, and if you do, you can Normal Summon 1 Gemini monster from your hand in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. During the End Phase of this turn, return it to your hand.

[spoiler=Card Log]
7 July 2016:
[spoiler=Ally of Justice Decisive Armor]
The first Re-ffecting I'm making on YCM forums will come a little earlier than usual and follow in the big Synchro trend I've been using recently. Although I've kept the LIGHT requirement and other associated costs for its effect, I've made it significantly easier to summon. As an effect buff, I made it a Quick effect. And, of course, I corrected the PSCT, since I might as well if I'm making an errata.
Ally of Justice Decisive Armor
DARK
Machine/Synchro/Effect
Level 10
3300/3300
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, if your opponent controls a face-up LIGHT monster(s): You can activate 1 of these effects: ● Target 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy it. ● Send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard; destroy all Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls. ● Send all cards in your hand (min.1) to the Graveyard; look at your opponent's hand and send all LIGHT monsters in their hand to the Graveyard, then inflict damage to your opponent equal to the total ATK of the opponent's monsters sent to the Graveyard by this effect.

14 July 2016:
[spoiler=Ascension Sky Dragon]
A buff on the ATK gain for this card was fairly obvious and simple, as it's difficult to get even a usable ATK otherwise. A buff on its floating effect was somewhat harder to do, but it now essentially acts as a material reset (also allowing banish revival) that dodges Armades clauses, with marginally easier to meet conditions. I did have to make PSCT up so I'm...actually not sure if this Re-ffecting meets PSCT standards, which is pretty funny.
Ascension Sky Dragon
LIGHT
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 10
?/3000
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: It gains 1000 ATK for each card currently in your hand. During the End Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was sent there by battle or by an opponent's card effect this turn while in your possession: You can Special Summon as many as possible of the monsters used to Synchro Summon this card that are banished or in the Graveyard., but their effects are negated. You can only use this effect of "Ascension Sky Dragon" once per turn.

22 July 2016:
[spoiler=Star Eater]
A wee bit late, but I'm reaching the end stretch of this project. The only level 11 Synchro we have, Star Eater's protection clauses are honestly a bit weird due to strange weak spots, like Honest, as well as preventing your own floating materials. The changes open up options to plus with Synchro, and theoretically should also be one of the first effects that can get around Return of the Dragon Lord and similar protection effects. Writing out the full PSCT looked weird but this condensed version also still looks weird, so PSCT is probably wrong again.
Star Eater
LIGHT
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 11
3200/2800
Must be Synchro Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card's Synchro Summon cannot be negated. When Synchro Summoned, your opponent's cards and effects cannot be activated. If this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects and the battling monsters are unaffected by other card effects until the end of the Damage Step.

28 July 2016:
[spoiler=Assault Blackwing - Onimaru the Divine Thunder]
The last entry into this Big Synchro subproject of Project Re-ffecting is here! Onimaru actually has a lot of weird soft nerfs on it for some reason, several of which are removed, but the main change here is making the ATK gain more flexible. Although changing its destruction immunity to targeting immunity is more than a little important, of course.
Assault Blackwing - Onimaru the Divine Thunder
DARK
Winged-Beast/Synchro/Effect
Level 12
3000/2000
If this card is Synchro Summoned using a "Blackwing" monster as Material, it is treated as a Tuner while face-up on the field. Cannot be targeted by card effects. You can target 1 "Blackwing" monster in your Graveyard; this card's Level becomes the same as that monster's. You can only use this effect of "Assault Blackwing - Onimaru the Divine Thunder" once per turn. If this card that was Synchro Summoned using only Synchro Monsters attacks or is attacked, this card gains 1500 ATK for each Synchro Monster used to Synchro Summon this card, during the Damage Step only.

4 August 2016:
[spoiler=Trap Eater]
Now that the Big Synchro miniproject has concluded, I move on to a big Tuner. I was/still am considering errata'ing off the Nomi clause, but for now I've simply settled on making it much more flexible by being able to remove your Traps. At the same time, I've made the removal harsher--a banish instead of send to grave--both to allow it to work to remove Macro Cosmos and to make it more viable against grave-effect Traps. It also creates a fun trade-off when using it on your own cards.
Trap Eater
DARK
Fiend/Tuner/Effect
Level 4
1900/1600
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned by banishing 1 face-up Trap Card on the field, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways.

11 August 2016:
[spoiler=Dinomist Ankylos]
Though this minor change won't really lift Ankylos above Only-good-for-scale status, it will at least give its monster eff more synergy with some of the other Dinomist cards. Namely, Dinomist Eruption (which is, itself, due for a Re-ffecting) gains more value as target banish, and Stegosaur/Ankylos becomes a potent pairing in the same vein as Ptero/Plesios.
Dinomist Ankylos
WATER
Machine/Pendulum/Effect
Level 4
Scale 6
1500/2000
Pendulum: Once, while this card is in your Pendulum Zone, you can negate an activated card effect that targets another "Dinomist" card(s) you control, then destroy this card.
//
Monster: Banish your opponent's cards destroyed by battle with a "Dinomist" monster you control or by the effect of a "Dinomist" card.

25 August 2016:
[spoiler=Coach Captain Bearman]
Back from the week break with a pretty easy change: Removing unnecessary xenophobia from a Zexal card that isn't even that good. As an additional buff, I also allowed it to alter levels of more Beast-Warriors.
Coach Captain Bearman
FIRE
Level 8
2600/2700
You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 1300. Once per turn: You can make all other Beast-Warrior-Type monsters you currently control become Level 8 until the end of this turn. This card cannot be used as an Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon, except for the Xyz Summon of a FIRE Warrior-Type monster.

1 Sept 2016:
[spoiler=Constellar Virgo]
A little strapped for time right now so just going to go with a nice quick fix. Buffing Virgo to allow summons of 4 or lower expands janky Constellar combos, especially with Brilliant Fusion, without actually having it exactly copy the effect of Alrescha (though Alrescha could use a buff to also trigger on Spec but w/e).
Constellar Virgo
LIGHT
Fairy/Effect
Level 5
2300/1600
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower "Constellar" monster from your hand in face-up Defense Position.

8 Sept 2016:
[spoiler=Mermail Abyssdine]
Abyssdine was an early adopter of what I call the "hard selective once per turn", in a deck that was an early adopter of the hard once per turn. However, I've never felt it was truly necessary at the time, and this sentiment has only grown stronger as time has gone on. As such, I've turned her restriction into regular hard OPTs, so that she becomes significantly more effective for r3 spam, and Abysspike gets an actually useful search target.
Mermail Abyssdine
WATER
Aqua/Effect
Level 3
1000/200
When this card is added from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand by a card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You must control a "Mermail" monster to activate and to resolve this effect. When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Mermail" monster: You can target 1 Level 3 or lower "Mermail" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. You can only use each effect of "Mermail Abyssdine" once per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Waitlist:]
Ice Barrier Synchros
Timegazer Magician
Noble Knight Brothers
Gagaga Mancer
Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Hazy Pillar
Coach Captain Bearman
Gishki Tetrogre
Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon
Assorted Rank-Ups, both monsters and spells
Tannhauser Gate
Queen Dragun Djinn
Burner Visor
Non-Effect Synchros
Meklords
Thunder Spark Dragon
Shadow Lich
Constellar Virgo
Laval Lancelord
Traptrix Rafflesia
Ghosts from the Past
Shuffle Reborn
Wetlands
Naturia Pineapple
Back the Cook
Scrap Chimera
Coach Captain Bearman
Super Double Summon
Red-Eyes Archfiend of Lightning

[spoiler=Previously on Dueling Network]

[spoiler=17 Dec 2015: Mecha Peanut Butter Kalgriffin]
We'll start with a card from one of my favorite archetypes, the Mecha Peanut Butters. Kalgriffin doesn't really get much use, because it's very costly within its own archetype and too specific in its requirements to be used elsewhere. The erratas allow it to be used with non-archetype cards in both its summoning conditions and its effect.
Mecha Peanut Butter Kalgriffin
WIND
Machine/Effect
Level 7
1000/2500
You can Tribute any combination of 2 Tokens and/or Machine-type monsters; Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Mecha Phantom Beast Kalgriffin" once per turn. While you control a Token, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. Once per turn: You can discard 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster; Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine-Type/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0).

[spoiler=24 Dec 2015: Fluffal Owl]
Next up is a simple change for a fun new archetype. Fluffal Owl has 2 effects, but despite essentially serving the same purposes, only one can be used each turn. As this more or less defeats the point of having 2 effects, for the most part, the change is simply to increase Owl's potential usability.
Fluffal Owl
EARTH
Fairy/Effect
Level 2
1000/1000
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned from the hand: You can add 1 "Polymerization" from your Deck to your hand. You can pay 500 LP; Fusion Summon 1 "Frightfur" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or your side of the field as Fusion Materials. You can only use 1 each effect of "Fluffal Owl" effect once per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=31 Dec 2015: Genex Neutron]
This change is more of an update. I learned a little while ago that Genex Neutron can't activate its effect if you use it as a material for something the turn you Normal Summon it. This is a pretty big waste of potential, considering its Type, Level, and Attribute, so the fix simple allows you to use its effect and Material potential in the same turn. This fix could also be applied to Dwarf Star Dragon as well, I suppose.
Genex Neutron
LIGHT
Machine/Effect
Level 4
1800/1200
Once per turn, during the End Phase, if this card was Normal Summoned this turn: You can add 1 Machine-type Tuner monster from your Deck to your hand during the End Phase of this turn.

[spoiler=7 Jan 2015: Soprano the Melodious Songstress]
A little bit of personal wish fulfillment time. Soprano's potential is greatly limited in that she can't use Fusion materials from the hand--in my particular circumstances, it also means De-Fusion's effectiveness is greatly reduced. This change simply allows her to use hand materials as well. Given the overall quality of Melodious Fusions, it shouldn't be a big deal, but it should allow significantly more flexibility.
Soprano the Melodious Songstress
LIGHT
Fairy/Effect
Level 4
1400/1400
When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Melodious" monster in your Graveyard, except "Soprano the Melodious Songstress"; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Soprano the Melodious Songstress" once per turn. Once per turn: You can Fusion Summon 1 "Melodious" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters you control from your hand or your side of the field as Fusion Materials, including this card.

[spoiler=14 Jan 2016: Boss Rush]
Going for a little bit of simplicity here. The main fix to this old gem of a support card (and the first non-monster in this series, incidentally) is removing the Summoning clause and giving it more synergy with the monsters it summons--so here is Boss Rush.
EDIT: Did some regular PSCT fix and buffed it a bit more to allow for destruction that doesn't go to grave.
Boss Rush
Spell Card
Continuous
You cannot Normal Summon or Set. During the End Phase of the turn that a "B.E.S." monster or a "Big Core" is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "B.E.S." monster or 1 "Big Core" from your Deck, then place 3 counters on the Special Summoned monster.

[spoiler=21 Jan 2016: Infernal Flame Vixen]
Infernal Flame Vixen isn't that good of a card, and will remain that way even after this change. Nevertheless, a few buffs here and there will make her at least interesting, and changing her summoning conditions will make her at least playable. It also keeps almost all of the same possible summoning pool, so that's nice.
Infernal Flame Vixen
FIRE
Pyro/XYZ/Effect
Rank 4
2200/2000
2 level 4 FIRE monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card gains 1000 ATK until your opponent's End Phase. When this card with 2500 or more ATK is destroyed: Target 3 cards in any Graveyard(s); banish those targets.

[spoiler=28 Jan 2016: Dark Scheme]
While it can still fall prey to the opponent having no cards in hand, or running one of the many many decks made of floaters nowadays, this small change lets Dark Scheme become massively more playable. Also supports Burgesstomas more, which I'm always in favor of!
Dark Scheme
Normal Trap
Your opponent can discard 1 card to negate this card's effect, otherwise both players discard 2 cards, then draw 2 cards.

[spoiler=4 Feb 2016: Googly-Eyes Drum Dragon]
If you know how I feel about old rank 8s, I've believed that they were almost never worth their investment. This holds true for Googly-Eyes Drum Dragon, which, despite being amusing, was ultimately a bust with its weak effect relative to its high investment, and even arguably completely outclassed with the advent of Prime Photon Dragon. The changes make it somewhat more generically usable, to help it break out of its terrible archetype, and while it doesn't change the beatstick focus, it makes it a significantly better beater.
Googly-Eyes Drum Dragon
EARTH
Machine/XYZ/Effect
Rank 8
3000/2500
2 Level 8 Machine-Type monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; it gains 1500 ATK, until the end of your opponent's next turn. If this card is destroyed while it has Xyz Material: You can banish 1 Machine-type monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, then, you can attach 1 Machine-type monster from your Graveyard to this card as an Xyz Material.

[spoiler=11 Feb 2016: Orient Dragon]
Changing Orient Dragon's effect to a once-per-turn may make it easier to respond to, but it gives it better long-term value, and the change to its viable targets will certainly make it much more usable. I did want to buff it more, but I didn't want to make it obviously better than Moonlight Rose Dragon.
Orient Dragon
WIND
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 6
2300/1000
Once per turn, you can target 1 Synchro monster your opponent controls that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck; banish that target.

[spoiler=18 Feb 2016: Dragoncarnation]
One of my pet peeves for cards are Traps that have effects that fit Spells much better. Dragoncarnation is one of these, and the fix is simple enough: An errata from a Normal Trap to a Normal Spell.
Dragoncarnation
Spell Card
Normal
Target 1 of your banished Dragon-Type monsters; add that target to your hand.

[spoiler=25 Feb 2016: Magma Dragon]
Gonna keep it short today. Magma Dragon's a cool card and all, but its regular restrictions are more than enough without tacking on a Wyrm-only restriction on top of it. So off with the lock! Also a name change because if you're gonna make Wyrms you could at least pretend you aren't making substitute Dragons.
Magma Wyrm
FIRE
Wyrm/Effect
Level 4
1600/1200
When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 Wyrm-Type monster in your Graveyard, except "Magma Dragon"; Special Summon it in Defense Position, but its effects are negated. You can only use this effect of "Magma Dragon" once per turn. You cannot Special Summon monsters the turn you activate this effect, except Wyrm-Type monsters.

[spoiler=4 March 2016: Laval Blaster]
Given FIRE's lack of support, this change is to help make a relatively insular archetype a little more accessible to out-of-archetype plays, and just provide more FIRE support in general. I also took the liberty of adding a straight buff and a hard OPT to compensate.
Laval Blaster
FIRE
Warrior/Effect
Level 4
1200/800
When this card is Normal Summoned, if you have a FIRE monster in your Graveyard other than "Laval Blaster": You can choose a number from 1 to 5, then send that many cards from the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; this card gains 200 ATK for each FIRE monster sent to the Graveyard to activate this effect. You can only use the effect of "Laval Blaster" once per turn.

[spoiler=10 March 2016: Cards of the Red Stone]
I've generally always felt Red-Eyes got the short end of the stick with its legacy support. From a distance they appear cleverly created and quite powerful, but each card was built with subtle restrictions that killed their potential. For Cards of the Red Stone, they made it unsearchable via Ritual of Dark Dragon, and only functional with level 7 Red-Eyes, which makes it (and your other Red-Eyes cards) significantly more bricky. The fix turns it into an archetype card, as well as into significantly stronger draw power.
Cards of the Red-Eyes Stone
Spell Card
Normal
Send 1 Level 7 or lower "Red-Eyes" monster from your hand to the Graveyard; draw 2 cards, then you can send 1 Level 7 or lower "Red-Eyes" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. You can only activate 1 "Cards of the Red Stone" per turn.

[spoiler=17 March 2016: Rebellion]
A buff that allows for MOAR DAMAGE. Could this possibly push Rebellion into broken, OTK-enabling territory? Yes. Am I fine with that? Well, more or less. I think it's interesting enough to try, in any case, which is why I'm making it.
Rebellion
Spell Card
Quick-Play
During the Battle Phase: Target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of it until the end of the Battle Phase, also monsters you control cannot attack for the rest of this turn, except that monster. You can only activate 1 "Rebellion" per turn.

[spoiler=24 March 2016: Molten Zombie]
These changes are fairly obvious, to be honest: Making Molten Zombie compatible with support that can actually trigger its effect, by making its Type match its name, and its DEF match Rekindling. While Sacred Crane retains deck or hand-summoning niches, as well as an overall better LIGHT attribute, Molten Zombie still becomes significantly more useful.
Molten Zombie
FIRE
Zombie/Effect
Level 4
1600/200
When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: Draw 1 card.

[spoiler=31 March 2016: Number 46: Dragluon]
Dragluon is one of those rank 8s that emphasizes why most rank 8s aren't actually worth running. Its effect is overspecialized and overrestricted, its summoning conditions are unnecessarily difficult, and even its ATK usually isn't worth the cost of its materials. While I'm leaving its summoning conditions the same, I've taken the liberty of buffing its effects and ATK.
Number 46: Dragluon
LIGHT
Dragon/XYZ/Effect
Rank 8
4000/4000
2 level 8 Dragon-Type monsters
Once per turn, if you control no other monsters: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then activate 1 of these effects.
● Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster from your hand.
● Target 1 Dragon-Type monster your opponent controls; take control of that target.
● Dragon-Type monsters your opponent controls in your opponent's possession cannot activate their effects, and their effects are negated, until the end of your opponent's turn.

[spoiler=7 April 2016: Stray Lambs]
Next up is Stray Lambs, where the buff is simply a restriction replacement. It (probably?) makes Stray Lambs the best Token card in the game, with only Scapegoat as real competition. Honestly not sure why Konami feels the need to restrict Token cards so strongly (Dandylion's revenge?) so I guess I'm fine with that.
Stray Lambs
Spell Card
Normal
Special Summon 2 "Lamb Tokens" (Beast-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. You cannot Summon other monsters the turn you activate this card (but you can Set). These Tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon.

[spoiler=14 April 2016: Spiritual Whisper]
Spiritual Whisper is one of those cards that is supposed to be used in Pendulum decks without actually benefiting Pendulum decks itself. This is going to be a slightly bigger change than the regular: To make it more synergistic, I've made it an actual Pendulum monster, in the tradition of Majespecter, though with a better scale to make up for Majespecter being on average better. I was considering buffing the activation condition to make it a Sacred Crane instead, but this is more fun.
Spiritual Whisper
Winged-Beast/Pendulum/Effect
Level 4
Scale 8
200/2000
Monster: Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. When this card is Pendulum Summoned: You can add 1 Ritual Monster or 1 Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Spiritual Whisper" once per turn.

[spoiler=28 April 2016: Appropriate]
We return to regularly scheduled programming with Appropriate, a card that theoretically should have some really good matchups but fails in almost all of them. The fix is simple enough: Remove the activation condition, so that "missing timing" stops being an issue. While it won't make it "great", at least this way it will be "usable"...and may lead to an actually useful draw engine! I also allowed it to work for draw effects used during the Draw Phase.
Appropriate
Trap Card
Continuous
Activate only when your opponent draws a card(s), except for their normal Draw: Draw 2 cards.

[spoiler=6 May 2016: Mother Spider]
Although this fix doesn't change Mother Spider being effectively a vanilla, it at least makes it playable by removing the mono-Type restriction and making its summoning condition (significantly) easier to meet. Its fortunate level allows it to compensate to some extent, and it can still be an interesting method of threat removal.
Mother Spider
DARK
Insect/Effect
Level 6
2300/1200
If you have only Insect-Type monsters in your Graveyard, you can banish 2 face-up Defense Position monsters your opponent controls to the Graveyard on the field and Special Summon this card from your hand.

[spoiler=12 May 2016: Lavalval Dragun]
Once again in the spirit of making Lavals generic, we revisit Lavals with Lavalval Dragun. This one is a nice and simple fix that probably could end up breaking the card, much like how Dragunity Gae Dearg is secretly broken in right about the exact same manner.
Lavalval Dragun
FIRE
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 6
2500/1200
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE monsters
Once per turn: You can add 1 FIRE monster from your Deck to your hand, then send 1 FIRE monster from your hand to the Graveyard.

[spoiler=19 May 2016: Heart of the Underdog]
Usually, this is a weak, inconsistent draw power card. While it will honestly probably remain so even with buffs that keep it from missing timing and allowing it to work outside of the Draw Phase, it will at least become usable, gaining combos with most draw power cards (including Common Charity!) and giving a buff to old Fusion or the likes of Cry Havoc. It could also, perhaps, tie in nicely with my Normalized Project. /shameless advertising
Heart of the Underdog
Spell Card
Continuous
During your Draw Phase, If you draw a Normal Monster(s): You can reveal it; draw 1 more card.

[spoiler=26 May 2016: Super Crashbug]
A bad card even before recent power leaps, time has not smiled on the pet deck Crashbugs. The following buffs fix its arbitrary restriction of self-summoning in DEF, make it less vulnerable to effect negation by equalizing its ATK and DEF, make its summoning somewhat more versatile by allowing field banishes, buff the effect to include DEF monsters, and even solve the problem of dead draws by making it a contact fusion a la ABC-Dragon Buster. Incidentally, becoming a Fusion allows it to search its pieces with Fusion Reserve/Conscription or dump them with Prisma.
Super Crashbug
DARK
Fiend/Fusion/Effect
Level 4
3000/3000
"Crashbug X" + "Crashbug Y" + "Crashbug Z"
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deckin face-up Defense Position, by banishing the above cards you control or in your Graveyard. Switch the ATK and DEF of all face-up Attack Position monsters on the field. There can only be 1 face-up "Super Crashbug" on the field.

[spoiler=2 June 2016: Hazy Flame Hydra]
A simple anti-xenophobia edit. The only good thing going for it is still Rekindling, so I don't think it would break it. Honestly not that many rank 6s care that much about more materials anyways, and the ones that do aren't broken regardless.
Hazy Flame Hydra
FIRE
Dinosaur/Effect
Level 6
2300/200
Your opponent cannot target this card with card effects. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except FIRE monsters. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material gains this effect.
● When it is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 "Hazy Flame" monster in your Graveyard; attach that target to this card as an Xyz Material.

[spoiler=9 June 2016: Giganticastle]
This will probably also be the start of a miniseries of high levelled Synchros. Look forward to Leo of the Sacred Tree and Star Eater in the next entries, with the possibility of Blackwing Onimaru if I feel like it.
That being said, Giganticastle doesn't get any major changes--just that its ATK eff gains notable buffs, since even as a beatstick it was pretty lackluster. Embarrassingly, it still falls short of 5k with 5 mats, but at least it can beat over Magnus on a regular summon now.
Giganticastle
EARTH
Rock/Synchro/Effect
Level 9
2900/2800
This card gains 400 ATK and DEF for each non-Tuner Synchro Material Monster used to Synchro Summon this card.

[spoiler=16 June 2016: Mist Wurm]
I was going to move on to level 10s, but I had forgotten Mist Wurm is a thing. Even at its height, Mist Wurm was essentially a Trish substitute due to Trish being on the list. Since any change is inevitably going to draw comparisons to Trish, I give it a couple of distinguishing features. Like Trish, it becomes non-targeting; unlike Trish, it gains the ability to bounce your own cards to combo play. Gave it a hard once per turn as well given my hangups over bounce loops, and buffed stats again to give it an edge over Trish (especially since having lower ATK, DEF, AND a worse eff in its original form is just unfair).
Mist Wurm
WIND
Thunder/Synchro/Effect
Level 9
2900/1500
1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: Target up to 3 cards your opponent controls; return up to 3 cards on the field to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Mist Wurm" once per turn.

[spoiler=23 June 2016: Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree]
Feels funny to be making this while that errata thread is going on. Anyways, Leo actually isn't that bad, and for the time it was released it having a "weak spot" wasn't too much of a problem. That being said, it was quickly outcreeped due to the explosion of SS2 effects, as well as targeting immunity itself becoming significantly more mundane, so I'm just going to take off said weak spot. Also buffed its defense to increase its resiliency vs non-targeting position changes, which are also becoming more common.
Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree
EARTH
Beast/Synchro/Effect
Level 10
3100/2500
Cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects, except during your Main Phase 2.

[spoiler=30 June 2016: Ally of Justice Field Marshal]
Wow, this project is going on a lot longer than I expected. We have a lot of high-level Synchros that could use a buff. Going back a level, this time we're really going with a blast from the past with a card that was almost never even usable. I'm also taking the opportunity to bring it up to regular PSCT standards, along with buffs to its summoning condition and effects. Though it will still be somewhat below-par with the buffs, it will at least have some niches with the various defense-changing support around now.
Also removing the Nomi clause because seriously why is that even there
Ally of Justice Field Marshal
DARK
Machine/Synchro/Effect
Level 9
2900/2600
This card cannot be Special Summoned except by Synchro Summon. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a face-down Defense Position monster: by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, Destroy that monster, then draw 1 card.

The first Re-ffecting I'm making on YCM forums will come a little earlier than usual and follow in the big Synchro trend I've been using recently. Although I've kept the LIGHT requirement and other associated costs for its effect, I've made it significantly easier to summon. As an effect buff, I made it a Quick effect. And, of course, I corrected the PSCT, since I might as well if I'm making an errata.
Ally of Justice Decisive Armor
DARK
Machine/Synchro/Effect
Level 10
3300/3300
Once per turn, during either player's turn, if your opponent controls a face-up LIGHT monster(s): You can activate 1 of these effects: ● Target 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy it. ● Send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard; destroy all Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls. ● Send all cards in your hand (min.1) to the Graveyard; look at your opponent's hand and send all LIGHT monsters in their hand to the Graveyard, then inflict damage to your opponent equal to the total ATK of the opponent's monsters sent to the Graveyard by this effect.

A buff on the ATK gain for this card was fairly obvious and simple, as it's difficult to get even a usable ATK otherwise. A buff on its floating effect was somewhat harder to do, but it now essentially acts as a material reset (also allowing banish revival) that dodges Armades clauses, with marginally easier to meet conditions. I did have to make PSCT up so I'm...actually not sure if this Re-ffecting meets PSCT standards, which is pretty funny.
Ascension Sky Dragon
LIGHT
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 10
?/3000
If this card is Synchro Summoned: It gains 1000 ATK for each card currently in your hand. During the End Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was sent there by battle or by an opponent's card effect this turn while in your possession: You can Special Summon as many as possible of the monsters used to Synchro Summon this card that are banished or in the Graveyard., but their effects are negated. You can only use this effect of "Ascension Sky Dragon" once per turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Eater
A wee bit late, but I'm reaching the end stretch of this project. The only level 11 Synchro we have, Star Eater's protection clauses are honestly a bit weird due to strange weak spots, like Honest, as well as preventing your own floating materials. The changes open up options to plus with Synchro, and theoretically should also be one of the first effects that can get around Return of the Dragon Lord and similar protection effects. Writing out the full PSCT looked weird but this condensed version also still looks weird, so PSCT is probably wrong again.
Star Eater
LIGHT
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 11
3200/2800
Must be Synchro Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card's Synchro Summon cannot be negated. When Synchro Summoned, your opponent's cards and effects cannot be activated. If this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects and the battling monsters are unaffected by other card effects until the end of the Damage Step.

I forgot to transfer this over last week, so here we go

This week's post will follow shortly.

The last entry into this Big Synchro subproject of Project Re-ffecting is here! Onimaru actually has a lot of weird soft nerfs on it for some reason, several of which are removed, but the main change here is making the ATK gain more flexible. Although changing its destruction immunity to targeting immunity is more than a little important, of course.
Assault Blackwing - Onimaru the Divine Thunder
DARK
Winged-Beast/Synchro/Effect
Level 12
3000/2000
If this card is Synchro Summoned using a "Blackwing" monster as Material, it is treated as a Tuner while face-up on the field. Cannot be targeted by card effects. You can target 1 "Blackwing" monster in your Graveyard; this card's Level becomes the same as that monster's. You can only use this effect of "Assault Blackwing - Onimaru the Divine Thunder" once per turn. If this card that was Synchro Summoned using only Synchro Monsters attacks or is attacked, this card gains 1500 ATK for each Synchro Monster used to Synchro Summon this card, during the Damage Step only.

Now that the Big Synchro miniproject has concluded, I move on to a big Tuner. I was/still am considering errata'ing off the Nomi clause, but for now I've simply settled on making it much more flexible by being able to remove your Traps. At the same time, I've made the removal harsher--a banish instead of send to grave--both to allow it to work to remove Macro Cosmos and to make it more viable against grave-effect Traps. It also creates a fun trade-off when using it on your own cards.
Trap Eater
DARK
Fiend/Tuner/Effect
Level 4
1900/1600
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned by banishing 1 face-up Trap Card on the field, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways.

Though this minor change won't really lift Ankylos above Only-good-for-scale status, it will at least give its monster eff more synergy with some of the other Dinomist cards. Namely, Dinomist Eruption (which is, itself, due for a Re-ffecting) gains more value as target banish, and Stegosaur/Ankylos becomes a potent pairing in the same vein as Ptero/Plesios.
Dinomist Ankylos
WATER
Machine/Pendulum/Effect
Level 4
Scale 6
1500/2000
Pendulum: Once, while this card is in your Pendulum Zone, you can negate an activated card effect that targets another "Dinomist" card(s) you control, then destroy this card.
//
Monster: Banish your opponent's cards destroyed by battle with a "Dinomist" monster you control or by the effect of a "Dinomist" card.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the week break with a pretty easy change: Removing unnecessary xenophobia from a Zexal card that isn't even that good. As an additional buff, I also allowed it to alter levels of more Beast-Warriors.
Coach Captain Bearman
FIRE
Level 8
2600/2700
You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 1300. Once per turn: You can make all other Beast-Warrior-Type monsters you currently control become Level 8 until the end of this turn. This card cannot be used as an Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon, except for the Xyz Summon of a FIRE Warrior-Type monster.

A little strapped for time right now so just going to go with a nice quick fix. Buffing Virgo to allow summons of 4 or lower expands janky Constellar combos, especially with Brilliant Fusion, without actually having it exactly copy the effect of Alrescha (though Alrescha could use a buff to also trigger on Spec but w/e).
Constellar Virgo
LIGHT
Fairy/Effect
Level 5
2300/1600
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower "Constellar" monster from your hand in face-up Defense Position.

• 2 weeks later...

Abyssdine was an early adopter of what I call the "hard selective once per turn", in a deck that was an early adopter of the hard once per turn. However, I've never felt it was truly necessary at the time, and this sentiment has only grown stronger as time has gone on. As such, I've turned her restriction into regular hard OPTs, so that she becomes significantly more effective for r3 spam, and Abysspike gets an actually useful search target.
Mermail Abyssdine
WATER
Aqua/Effect
Level 3
1000/200
When this card is added from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand by a card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You must control a "Mermail" monster to activate and to resolve this effect. When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Mermail" monster: You can target 1 Level 3 or lower "Mermail" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. You can only use each effect of "Mermail Abyssdine" once per turn, and only once that turn.

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing "super" about Super Double Summon, which somehow manages to be arguably worse than its original form--as in, completely outclassed. The buffs I'm applying this time are fairly major, and combined with PSCT fixing and removal of the drawback, I'm more or less completely changing the text. Though the original Normal Summon of a Gemini you control is kept, an optional Normal Summon from the hand is also added.
Super Double Summon
Spell Card
Quick-Play
Target 1 Gemini monster you control; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon it, and if you do, you can Normal Summon 1 Gemini monster from your hand in addition to your Normal Summon/SetDuring the End Phase of this turn, return it to your hand.

Archived