Fishionists - Trap-based Fusion Fishes

Creator's Notes (If you think the archetype is too long to bother reading, then just read this! It's still long but it should give the basic gist)
[spoiler=Creator's Notes]This was my entry for a Contest on the Dueling Network Forums, which had creators make a Fusion-based archetype. I decided to aim for a Trap-based Fusion archetype, which would also take advantage of pre-existing Trap support (particularly Fusion Reserve).

The Main Deck monsters are all EARTH Fish, known as "Fishionists": 12 Pendulums and 4 non-Pendulums. Each one is based on a real-life fish species. Presumably there were meme reasons I made them EARTH Fishes, but I don't remember them now. The Pendulums range in level from 1-3, with scales of 0 and 5, while the non-Pendulums are all level 4. Each Pendulum monster comes with 3 effects: 1 each for scale and monster form, and an additional effect where, as a scale, they return to the hand during the opponent's End Phase. Each non-Pendulum monster also has 2 effects each.
Each level of Pendulum comes with 2 pairs of scales with complementary effects and names, and each pair is usually relatively close to each other in terms of evolution. Counting the non-Pendulums, there are 3 major naming schemes distributed among these monsters.

There are 2 main Spells, a Field and a Continuous Spell, and 8 other Spell/Traps split into "Recede Fusions" and "Prefixfusions". The Recede Fusions are composed of 4 Traps that all directly involve grabbing out Fusion Monsters, while the Prefixfusions are composed of 3 Traps and 1 Quickplay Spell that serve miscellaneous roles involving Fusion monsters.

The end goal of these cards are the 8 "Fishionisters": DARK Sea Serpent Fusion monsters. These are all based on prehistoric fish, many of whom were apex predators during their time. Each Fishionister also comes with 2 effects apiece, usually 1 Ignition or Quick effect and 1 Continuous effect. The naming convention for these uses chopped up versions of their taxidermic names, the archetype names, and a title, arranged like so: <Taxidermy> the Fishionister <Title>. Like the Main Deck monsters, there are 3 main groups: 2 monsters using relatively simple materials, 3 monsters that can use either of the "first pair" Pendulums and a generic material label, and 3 bigger bosses with heavier material investments.

Kinda feel sorry for making the judge since it is a large archetype (32 cards!) built over a period of a month, and each Pendulum probably made it even harder with the amount of text there was.
Also, I think every card here made the basic PSCT mistake of using commas instead of colons to separate activation timing and effects. W H O O P S

Further notes are made in red under individual cards. If you wish to continue reading further, but still think it's too long, the red text probably indicates the ones most likely to have balance problems.
Though some of it is just me complaining about PSCT.

Monsters:
Trafluvia, the Fishionist Lampreyes
Level 1/Scale 5 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1200/200
Pend: When this card is activated: you can excavate the top 5 cards of your deck, then you can Set 1 excavated "Polymerization" Spell/Trap card or "Fusion" Spell/Trap card, except "Diffusion Wave-Motion", also shuffle the rest back into the Deck. If you Set a Trap card by this effect, it can be activated this turn. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: When this card is removed from the hand or field by a card effect, excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, add excavated 1 "Polymerization" card or "Fusion" Spell/Trap card to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only use this effect of "Trafluvia, Fishionist Lampreyes" once per turn.
The result of an idea stolen from a friend about the use of excavation. I had honestly forgotten the mechanic existed. Its "pair" also involves an excavation effect.

Tretusstout, the Fishionist Slimeelure
Level 1/Scale 0 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
0/1800
Pend: Once per turn, during each End Phase, you can roll a six-sided die, excavate that many cards from the top of your Deck, add 1 excavated "Fishionist" monster to your hand, also shuffle the rest back into the Deck. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: Once per turn, during your opponent's Standby Phase, you can add 1 "Fishionist" monster to your hand, except "Tretusstout, the Fishionist Slimeelure", from among the face-up Pendulum monsters in your Extra Deck or the monsters in your Graveyard.

Lagisi Fishionist - Omen Ghostshark
Level 1/Scale 5 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1000/1000
Pend: Once per turn, during each End Phase, you can send 1 "Fishionist" card, 1 "Polymerization" card, or 1 "Fusion" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to the Graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Fishionist" Pendulum monster from your Deck to your Extra Deck face-up during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Lagisi Fishionist - Omen Ghostshark" once per turn.

Chimonstros Fishionist - Courier Rabbitfish
Level 1/Scale 0 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1400/0
Pend: You can Tribute 1 Fish-type or Fusion monster you control; inflict damage to your opponent equal to half the Tributed monster's ATK on the field. If you Tributed a Fusion monster, inflict damage equal to its ATK, instead. You can only use this effect of "Chimonstros Fishionist - Courier Rabbitfish" once per turn. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: If this card is removed from the field by a card effect: You can place 1 "Fishionist" Pendulum monster from your Deck in your Pendulum Zone. You can only use this effect of "Chimonstros Fishionist - Courier Rabbitfish" once per turn.
In retrospect I probably shouldn't have made that monster effect triggerable in a Pendulum Zone, for all those Dracoslayer memes again. Though maybe it was intentional on past me's part. The scale eff here actually gets me pretty nervous because it could add up to quite a lot of burn...but I think it'll be fine?

Codonty, the Fishionist Sharkarmor
Level 2/Scale 5 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1000/1500
Pend: When a "Fishionist" card(s) and/or Fusion monster(s) you control would be destroyed by a card effect, you destroy this card instead. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: During either player's turn, if your opponent activates the effect of a monster on the field, or the effect of a Spell/Trap card that was already face-up on the field, while you control a "Fishionist" or Fusion monster: You can banish this card from your Graveyard or from your face-up Extra Deck; its effects are negated, then if it is a monster, its ATK and DEF are halved.

Rhinusdasy, the Fishionist Sharkshield
Level 2/Scale 0 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
0/1900
Pend: Once per turn, when a "Fishionist" card(s) and/or Fusion monster(s) you control is targeted for a card effect, you can negate that effect. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: When your opponent's monster declares an attack against a "Fishionist" or Fusion monster you control, you can discard this card; negate the attack, then end the Battle Phase, then if the attack target was a Fusion monster, destroy the attacking monster.
Not a balance comment, but rather a note that this is the protection pair. The first one is an experiment on having a banish from Extra effect (incidentally also works with Fish and Swaps). The second one is recyclable with some other cards, including one in the Spells/Traps section.

Pygoreri Fishionist - Swarm Piranha
Level 2/Scale 5 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1700/100
Pend: If a "Fishionist" monster or Fusion monster is Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Polymerization" card or "Fusion" Spell/Trap card in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Pendulum Zone, then Set that target to your field. That Set card can be activated during this turn. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower Fish-type monster from your hand.
I suspect I should put a hard once per turn on that scale eff. Maybe, maybe not. It's like Ragnarok Abyss for Fusion S/Ts? Dunno if that'd be problematic/how problematic it would be.

Oncorhyner Fishionist - Return Salmon
Level 2/Scale 0 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1400/700
Pend: You can target 1 other face-up "Fishionist" card you control; return it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Oncorhyner Fishionist - Homing Salmon" once per turn. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: Once, during either player's turn, while this card is face-up on the field: You can banish 1 "Fusion" Trap card that meets its activation conditions in your Graveyard; this effect becomes that Trap Card's effect when that card is activated.

Tophorsterus, the Fishionist Accelsailfish
Level 3/Scale 5 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1200/1800
Pend: Once per turn, if another card is sent from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard or face-up to the Extra Deck to activate a card effect: you can Set 1 "Polymerization" card or "Fusion" Trap Card directly from your Deck. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: You can send 1 "Polymerization" card, 1 "Fusion" card, or 1 Fusion monster from your field to the graveyard; draw 2 cards. You can only use this effect of "Tophorsterus, the Fishionist Accelsailfish" once per turn.

Xigladius, the Fishionist Swordfishimitar
Level 3/Scale 0 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1600/1000
Pend: You can activate each of the following effects once per turn.
1. Discard 1 EARTH or Fish-type monster, then target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; destroy it.
2. Tribute 1 "Fishionist" monster or 1 Fusion monster, then target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; banish it.
During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to your hand.
//
Monster: 1. You can discard 1 EARTH or Fish-type monster, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it.
2. You can Tribute 1 other "Fishionist" monster or Fusion monster, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; banish it.
You can only use 1 of the monster effects of "Xigladius, the Fishionist Swordfishimitar" per turn, and only once that turn.
A bit of an embarrassing mistake, but I forgot to change out the placeholder name in the hard OPT clauses on both of these guys, who form the "offensive" scale pair. It's fixed here. This is also a case where I wonder if I should hard OPT the scale eff, but I think it's sufficiently troublesome to trigger and it'd be fairly difficult to loop unless you get Luster Dracoslayer.

Lusserpens Fishionist - Sneak Mackerel
Level 3/Scale 5 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1300/1700
Pend: You can Tribute 1 monster, then Special Summon 1 "Fishionist" monster from among your face-up Pendulum monsters or in your Graveyard, except the Tributed monster. If you Tributed a Fusion monster, you can Special Summon 2 "Fishionist" monsters, instead. You can only use this effect of "Lusserpens Fishionist - Sneak Mackerel" once per turn. During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: If a monster(s) is Special Summoned to or removed from your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Fishionist Token" (Fish/EARTH/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). You can only use this effect of "Lusserpens Fishionist - Sneak Mackerel" once per turn.
This guy's pretty scary for all those raw advantage effects. Could extend combos quite well.

Nabarra Fishionist - Hunter Barracuda
Level 3/Scale 0 Pendulum | EARTH | Fish
1800/500
Pend: Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 "Fishionist Token" (Fish/EARTH/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). During your opponent's End Phase: return this card to the hand.
//
Monster: Once per turn, during each End Phase, Special Summon 1 "Fishionist Token" (Fish/EARTH/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). Your opponent cannot target "Fishionist" monsters you control with equal or less ATK than this card for attacks.

Fishionist Latimer Coelecanth
Level 4 | EARTH | Fish
1800/1300
You can also Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1, 2, or 3 monsters, in which case this card's Level is increased by 2 and ATK is increased by 500 for each Tribute. During either player's turn, you can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Fusion monster from your Extra Deck whose level is less than or equal to this card's Level on the field, ignoring the Summoning conditions, but it is returned to the Extra Deck during the End Phase of your next turn.
Here we get to the first non-Pendulum, and one of the most fun cards for me. It's the monster form of a following Trap that lets you SS2 summon any Fusion of the appropriate level. The true Fusion toolbox!

Fishionist Seroxyrin Sturgeon
Level 4 | EARTH | Fish
1900/900
Once per chain, during your opponent's turn, you can activate "Polymerization" cards or "Fusion" Spell cards, except "Diffusion Wave-Motion", from your hand. You can activate "Polymerization" cards or "Fusion" Trap cards during the turn they are Set.
The highest ATK among base Fishionists, which I'll bring up again later. Curious about whether it could lead to some loops, and/or how disruptive SS2 Fusion would actually be.

Fishionist Leasol Flatfish
Level 4 | EARTH | Fish
500/2100
Once per turn, when another "Fishionist" monster or Fusion monster you control is destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or by card effect): you can Special Summon that monster from your Graveyard or from the face-up monsters in your Extra Deck. This card cannot be targeted for attacks while you control another "Fishionist" monster.

Fishionist Dusforsteri Lungfish
Level 4 | EARTH | Fish
1500/1500
When an attack is declared involving a "Fishionist" monster or Fusion monster you control: You can switch the ATK and DEF of the opponent's monster. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card. You can only use this effect of "Fishionist Dusforsteri Lungfish" once per turn.

Spells/Traps:
Fossilized Ocean
Field Spell
Once per turn, when a "Fishionist" monster(s) or Fusion monster(s) is Special Summoned to your side of the field: All monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. "Fusion" Trap cards can be activated from the hand. When a "Polymerization" Spell/Trap card or "Fusion" Spell/Trap card is activated, neither player can activate cards or effects.
I built the name to be non-archetype and the Field Spell to not truly synergize with most cards because the effects would be pretty problematic otherwise. The original version didn't have a once per turn on summon, which I've changed for consideration of potential loops. A Fishionist weakness I built in is that almost all of them have very average stats, which was supposed to incentivize the use of this card despite not building plays otherwise. However, in retrospect the concern is high enough for me to nerf it. The 2nd eff is just dangerous because I'm unclear on the potential of Fusion Trap cards. 3rd eff is largely a non-factor but now helps dodge Dimension Barrier, so that's nice.

Primal Polymerization
Continuous Spell
Once per turn, if a monster you control would be destroyed, you can reveal 1 Fusion Monster from your deck that can be Summoned using that monster as a material and place 1 Bond Counter on this card instead. Once per turn, if a Fusion monster you control would be destroyed, you can place 1 Bond Counter on this card instead. You can send this card to the Graveyard; Special Summon from your Extra Deck 1 monster whose number of Fusion Materials is less than or equal to half the number of counters that were on this card.
Honestly probably shouldn't have made this, or at least made it a lot simpler. Cut off 1 or 2 effs. It's so...excessive right now. Probably fine balance-wise but just really clunky design-wise.

Recede Fusion Breach
Normal Trap
Tribute 1 "Fishionist" monster, then Special Summon 1 level 10 or lower Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring the Summoning conditions, but its ATK becomes 0, and is returned to the Extra Deck during the End Phase unless it is a "Fishionister" monster.
Probably one of the most potentially problematic cards in this pool, and obv can only get better over time. Main things I thought about were using Absolute Zero nuke and Exterio 1-turn S/T lock, both of which I remember deciding were acceptable for a 1-turn Tribute play (of course, here my balance ideas diverge widely with many others'). But probably won't be acceptable forever, assuming it's even acceptable now. Originally the summoned monster couldn't attack; here I've changed it to making its ATK 0, which amusingly enough would actually lead to another interaction with Dystopiaguy now.

Recede Fusion Waterfall
Normal Trap
Fusion Summon 1 "Fishionister" monster from your Extra Deck, using at least 1 Fusion Material from your hand and at least 1 Fusion Material from your side of the field.

Recede Fusion Tidepool
Continuous Trap
Reveal 1 "Fishionister" monster from your Extra Deck, then target monsters in your Graveyard that can be used as Fusion Materials for that monster; Special Summon that monster (this Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon). When that Fusion monster is sent from the field to the Graveyard, destroy this card. When this card is sent to the Graveyard, shuffle as many of the targeted monsters as possible into the Deck, also destroy that Fusion monster.
Had/have still no idea how to PSCT this card.

Recede Fusion Flashflood
Normal Trap
Excavate the top 5 cards of your deck, then you can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion monster by sending excavated Fusion Material monsters to the Graveyard, but it cannot attack this turn, also place the rest on the top of your Deck in any order. You can only use "Recede Fusion Flashflood" once per turn.
More excavation fun! Always interested in looking in ways of making more Fusion mechanic. So far they've mostly settled into Gem-Knight Fusion model/Shaddoll Fusion model/Dragon's Mirror model so this, with its essentially randomly determined Fusion mechanic, was pretty fun to make. Synergizes with above excavators.

Unfusion - Salvaging Fissionist 
Normal Trap
Target 1 Fusion Monster on the field; return it to the Extra Deck, then you can choose monsters in your Graveyard or face-up in your Extra Deck that fulfill its Fusion Material requirements, and add them to your hand.
Also no idea how to PSCT this one. Ideally you shouldn't be able to recycle more than 1 of each material printed on the Fusion monster, and you should be able to recycle fewer monsters than listed on the Fusion, but I have no idea how to imply any of that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Prefusion - Moray Fissionist
Quickplay Spell
Banish 1 "Fishionist" Pendulum monster from your Deck; place this card in your empty Pendulum Zone with that card's name, scale, and Pendulum effects. You can only use "Prefusion - Moray Fissionist" once per turn.
FUN WITH PENDULUMS! Didn't have a hard OPT in original form so I've fixed that. Also could pull from Extra or Graveyard originally but I decided that was excessive and mostly unnecessary.

Disfusion - Torrential Fissionist
Counter Trap
When a monster(s) would be Summoned: Send 1 "Polymerization" card or "Fusion" Spell/Trap from your hand or your side of the field to the Graveyard; negate the Summon, and if you do, banish that monster. During your opponent's 2nd End Phase after this card is activated, return that monster to the Graveyard.

Postfusion - Surfacing Fissionist
Normal Trap
Choose 1 "Fishionist" monster among the face-up monsters in your Extra Deck, the cards in your Pendulum Zone(s), or the monsters in your Graveyard, and Special Summon it.

Extra Deck:
Guineiros, the Fishionister Specter
Level 5 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
1600/1500
2 "Fishionist" monsters
During the Standby Phase, you can Special Summon 1 "Fishionist" monster from among the face-up Pendulum monsters in your Extra Deck or the monsters in your Graveyard, but it is destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Guineiros, the Fishionister Specter" once per turn. All monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each "Fishionist" monster you control.
Actually a fairly questionable card for possible summon loops. One of the easiest to summon Fishionisters, is designed as key enabler for all the following.

Heliconovi, the Fishionister Anomaly
Level 6 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
2300/1500
1 "Fishionist" monster + 1 non-Pendulum monster
When a Spell or Trap card is activated, except in a Pendulum Zone: banish it. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can target 1 card the opponent of the turn player controls, except a Synchro, Fusion, or XYZ monster; banish it and this card. During the next Standby Phase, if that card is still banished, return it to the owner's hand, then return this card to the field.
This floodgate was actually pretty fun to make since it makes you pick between banishing and when you want to turn it off. Doesn't actually stop a lot of cards but dunks on every Field Spell, so that's nice. Should probably make it banish instead, to prevent S/T floating in grave. Ya know what, Imma do that. PSCT was also annoying with this one.

Taspisschmidt, the Fishionister Mask
Level 6 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
2200/2200
"Trafluvia, the Fishionist Lampreyes" or "Tretusstout, the Fishionist Slimeelure" + 1 EARTH monster
Once, while this card is face-up on the field, you can choose 1 "Fishionist" monster among your face-up Pendulum monsters in your Extra Deck, in your Graveyard, or in your hand, and replace this effect with that monster's effect(s). Each time a monster is XYZ Summoned, its XYZ materials are banished immediately after it is summoned.
Also questionable for possible effect loops. It has a tougher material requirement which should theoretically help keep it in check. Its floodgate effect was actually really funny to make, I believe it was also originally a friend's idea.

Teusterreli, the Fishionister Terror
Level 7 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
2000/3000
"Rhinusdasy, the Fishionist Sharkshield" or "Codonty, the Fishionist Sharkarmor"  + 1 Fish-type monster
If this card is Special Summoned: monsters cannot be targeted for battle or for card effects until your opponent's next End Phase. Neither player can Special Summon 2 or more monsters at the same time. If this card was Special Summoned during your opponent's turn, this effect applies only to your opponent.
Exhibit A of Fusions meant to be summoned on the opponent's turn. During your M2 is acceptable but sacrifices some potential. That last clause is probably unnecessary and even unfair but I think present me and past me don't think it's too bad.

Zoduserti, the Fishionister Fangs
Level 8 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
"Tophorsterus, the Fishionist Accelsailfish" or "Xigladius, the Fishionist Swordfishimitar" + 1 Pendulum monster
2400/1800
Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; its effects are negated until the End Phase, then this card's effects are negated until the End Phase. Monsters cannot be Summoned by sending cards from the field to the Graveyard.
This one is actually pretty gross, and also steals ideas from a friend. It does have the hardest material requirements out of the cards shown so far but even then its original form really only allows XYZ Summon and odd takes on Fusion/Rituals (ie ABCD or Nekroz Mirror). I probably made it this way since I wanted a Fishionister for every summoning method, but I ran out of monsters so I had this one block all the ones the others don't. I've nerfed it so it only stops Tribute Summons and Rituals/Fusions that use monsters from the field. I'd like to have had another card stop Rituals/Fusions but too late now, I suppose. Main thing to note is that this is also a floodgate that turns itself off selectively.

Gapirahn, the Fishionister Beast
Level 9 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
2000/2000
1 "Fishionister" monster + 1 "Fishionist" monster
The ATK and DEF of your opponent's monsters is halved, and cannot be changed by other card effects. After this card is Fusion Summoned, for the rest of this turn other cards' effects on the field are negated.
The first of the stage 2 bosses with a 4k ATK reach. Exhibit B for cards that are to be summoned on opp's turn, like using Formula Synchron to make Biggest RDA. Intended to be outed with Honest-likes. It's also a pretty hefty material investment, with 3 monsters needed.

Selache, the Fishionister Enforcer
Level 10 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
2700/2700
3 "Fishionist" monsters
Your opponent cannot negate Summons, or activate cards or effects when a monster(s) is Summoned. Once per chain, if this card was Fusion Summoned, when your opponent activates a card or effect, you can activate 1 of the following effects:
1. Tribute 1 other EARTH or Fish-type monster; negate the activation and effect.
2. Tribute 1 other "Fishionist" monster; negate the activation and effect, and if you do, destroy it.
3. Tribute 1 other Fusion monster; negate the activation and effect, and if you do, banish it.
You can only activate each effect of "Fishionister Boss Z" once per turn.

Charodomega, the Fishionister Overlord
Level 10 | DARK | Sea Serpent | Fusion
3000/2800
2 "Fishionister" monsters or "Selache, the Fishionist Enforcer" + 1 "Fishionist" monster
Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in a chain. If this card was Fusion Summoned, this card gains this effect:
1. You can banish 1 "Fishionist" monster among the face-up Pendulum monsters in your Extra Deck or the monsters in your Graveyard, then target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the top of the Deck.
There's a small change here from the original entry--it turns out I had forgotten to make these last 2 monsters "Fishionister" monsters, which prevents them from accessing some of the support. I'm honestly curious about whether I made these too strong or weak; it's very hard to design 3+-material Fusions. Theoretically the materials should keep the pretty ridiculous effects in check, especially since they all entail an extra resource drain, but a DAD effect that returns to deck is enough to make even me antsy.
While they both still function as floodgates when summoned irregularly, they cannot use their full potential without being Fusion Summoned.

Archived