[AGM] -Boneserpent-

towitori

[spoiler=Prompt]

This archetype combines the deck searchability and mill power of the Reptile-type while changing into Zombies on the field/in the grave and taking advantage of their grave spam.  They are an archetype chock full of level 4 and 5s with 0 DEF whose effects tend towards inhibiting the opponent over progressing themselves.  They have a handful of tuners but their in-archetype Extra Deck monsters are Fusions.

Like the monsters, the archetype has a handful of traps that like to stun the opponent.  Each of their conditions are slightly restricted, but they all make up for it by searching/special summoning after they trigger or by skipping your opponent's next battle phase if destroyed.

[spoiler=Monster]

Boneserpent Aglyphous

EARTH / Level 4

Reptile / Tuner / Effect

ATK / 1850 DEF / 0

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. During either player’s turn: You can Tribute this card; this turn, negate your opponent’s monster’s effect that activate in the hand. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Aglyphous” once per turn. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

Boneserpent Opisthoglyphous

EARTH / Level 4

Reptile / Effect

ATK / 1850 DEF / 0

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. During either player’s turn: You can Tribute this card; this turn, negate your opponent’s monster’s effect that activate in the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Opisthoglyphous” once per turn. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

Boneserpent Proteroglyphous

EARTH / Level 5

Reptile / Effect

ATK / 2350 DEF / 0

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. During either player’s turn: You can Tribute this card; this turn, negate any of your opponent’s card effect that would move a card in the Graveyard, other than itself, to a different place. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Proteroglyphous” once per turn. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

Boneserpent Solenoglyphous

EARTH / Level 5

Reptile / Tuner / Effect

ATK / 2350 DEF / 0

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. During either player’s turn: You can Tribute this card; this turn, your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck, except Pendulum Summons. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Solenoglyphous” once per turn. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

[spoiler=Spell/Trap]

Boneserpent Formation

Spell / Normal

Banish, from your hand or your Graveyard, the Fusion Material Monsters that are listed on a “Boneserpent” Fusion Monster Card, then Special Summon that monster from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.) If this card is discarded from your hand by an opponent’s card effect: skip your opponent’s next Battle Phase. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Formation” once per turn.

Boneserpent Fangs

Trap / Counter

When an Effect Monster’s effect is activated: Reveal 1 Reptile-Type monster in your hand; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. When this card resolves: Special Summon the revealed monster. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

Boneserpent Glare

Trap / Counter

When a Spell Card is activated: Reveal 1 Reptile-Type monster in your hand; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. When this card resolves: Discard the revealed card, then add 1 monster from your Deck to your hand with the same name. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

Boneserpent Bind

Trap / Counter

When a Trap Card is activated: Reveal 1 Reptile-Type monster in your hand; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. When this card resolves: Discard the revealed card, then add 1 “Boneserpent” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You must have a Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard to activate and to resolve this effect.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Boneserpent Python

EARTH / Level 5

Reptile / Fusion / Effect
ATK / 2350 DEF / 0

1 Level 5 Reptile-Type monster + 1 Level 4 Zombie-Type monster

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, when your opponent Special Summons a monster(s): You can discard 1 card; your opponent destroys 1 of those monsters. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Target 1 “Boneserpent” Fusion Monster in your Graveyard, except “Boneserpent Python”; Special Summon the target. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Python” once per turn.

Boneserpent Boa

EARTH / Level 4

ATK / 1850 DEF / 0

1 Level 4 Reptile-Type monster + 1 Level 5 Zombie-Type monster

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, when your opponent adds a card(s) from their hand: You can discard 1 card; your opponent discards 1 of those cards. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Target 1 “Boneserpent” Fusion Monster in your Graveyard, except “Boneserpent Boa”; Special Summon the target. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Python” once per turn.

Boneserpent Viper

EARTH / Level 7

ATK / 2850 DEF / 0

3 “Boneserpent” monsters

This card is treated as a Zombie-Type monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard.

Once per turn, during either player’s turn, when a card or effect is activated: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. Each time a card(s) is sent to the Graveyard, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each of those cards. During your opponent’s turn: You can Tribute this card; shuffle all banished cards to the Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of “Boneserpent Viper” once per turn.

Boneserpent Aglyphous: Oh no, your archetype's already displaying the most annoying thing about Evilswarms, well besides Ophion, those 50’s in the statlines. Anyways, jokes asides, I like the idea of reptilian zombies, very interesting stuff. Though uh, I’m having a hard time understanding what you’re saying as “your opponent’s monster’s effect that activatein the hand.” doesn’t clarify what it’s doing. I assume it’s meant to negate those effects, and I guess that would be cool against BA, but Kozmos and Monarchs really don’t care, and Alternative White Dragon’s summon condition isn’t an effect, so it won’t be negated. Also, the fact that you need a Zombie-Type in the Graveyard seems mostly slap on the wrist for this effect to activate as a cost. They’re Zombies, unless Macross Cosmos or Dark Law is on the field there’s going to be at least 1 in the Graveyard. I mean I guess it could make it less abusable first turn, but there’s so many shenanigans to get around that restriction it’s pretty laughable. Anyway, seeing as it’s a Tuner, I thought it’d be good to give it a decent SS effect, so you can set it up easier. I know you said you aren’t focusing on Synchros, but Zombies do love Synchro plays, so something to consider.

Boneserpent Opisthoglyphous: Now this thing will stun your opponent no matter who you’re playing. Kozmos ships, check, Monarchs, check, White Stones in Blue-Eyes, check, BA, I can’t check that box hard enough. Great quick effect for stunning the opponent and preventing setup.

Boneserpent Proteroglyphous: Now this is a bit disappointing, as I thought this would be a strict improvement over Opistoglyphous seeing as it requires tributes or an SS to get to the field. Its effect is certainly good in some matchups by preventing revival, so against Blue-Eyes this is great, by making them waste a Gospel, but against Kozmos, I feel like they’ll just be laughing it off, because the Graveyard is more like the Banished Zone with Kozmotown. I feel like preventing a monster from moving itself too would be good, so you at least prevent the ships from floating.

Boneserpent Solenoglyphous: Honestly, I’d just make it restrict all summons from the Extra Deck, similar to Domain. It only works for one turn, so it’s not nearly as frustrating as that card. Pretty decent stun card, and a great back-up plan if you’re opponent gets around your Vanity’s.

Boneserpent Formation: Okay, this at least gives more credence to the “needing a Zombie-Type” in the Graveyard restriction, but I still feel it’s a bit unnecessary to have that restriction seeing as you need to tribute them. Anyway, as for this card, seems weird to me that it doesn’t banish from the field, I mean I do understand the want to restrict access to certain parts, but Hand and Graveyard are the best places to fuse from next to the Deck. Anyway, the discard effect is cool, but making your opponent discard is a lot less relevant this meta, so I don’t see it happening that often..

Boneserpent Fans: It’s a good counter trap, with unique conditions that tie it to it’s archetype, while still allowing for some mixed builds. Honestly good stuff, sucks a bit that it can’t negate spells, but monster effect negation is honestly better, and this allows you to SS your level 5 Boneserpent ones, and fits in the theme of stunning your opponent.

Boneserpent Glare: I see now that you’re splitting up the negation into 3 separate Counter Traps, just going to say it now, Glare and Bind should be fused into one card. Traps are much less used in the current meta it’s just not funny, so I feel like Bind would probably be run at 1 at most. Anyway, Glare’s cost is pretty good, it promotes the engine decently, by getting that needed Zombie-Type into the Graveyard, but again, Zombies love to mill so it seems a bit unnecessary unless you were running one focusing more on Reptiles.

Boneserpent Bind: Honestly, as I said earlier, although it’s nice that you’re able to add a Spell/Trap to the hand with this card, trap negation is just not that relevant. Just a suggestion for an alternate to this, you could make it so that if a card on your side of the field is targeted for an effect, you can negate the effect, and then this card gains the effect to use against them, or changes the target. Making Kozmo Dark Destroyer blow itself up would be hilarious, a lot of the Rank 4 Toolbox targets, so again you could make it hurt themselves, or any number of stupid stuff. Just my suggestion though. I definitely understand the desire for more Counter Traps, but I don’t think Bind can function off of just negating Traps.

Boneserpent Python: Honestly a nice effect, you get multiples of this to the field you can really shut down your opponent as long as you have decent hand advantage. I like its revival effect upon destruction too. Thanks for putting an HOPT on it, so you can’t just cycle between the three fusions endlessly in one turn for an eternal wall.

Boneserpent Boa: Pretty much half of what makes Dark Law so amazing. However, you forgot say “from their deck” also you should specify it as outside their Draw Phase, so it isn’t ridiculous. Honestly, with its low ATK, you could probably get rid of that discard cost.

Boneserpent Viper: Yes, yes, yes. I’m just imagining how awesome this would be in Zombiesworn. With that much milling, you could possibly deal 2000 burn damage every turn in those decks. However, it does get a bit ridiculous when you consider that this basically also has a 200 LP cost for your opponent just playing a non-continuous Spell/Trap card, and that you could stack multiples of these on the field for some ridiculous damage. I might consider giving it "a you can only control 1" clause, especially since this thing can be floated back into with your Boa/Python. The shuffling of all banished cards is great, but I believe it would be worded as “shuffle all banished cards into your Deck”. Also, just a small suggestion, but it might be a good idea to shuffle your opponent’s banished cards too, especially to use against Kozmos.

Archived