[AGM] Infinity Gear: The Hands of Time Turn Endlessly!

ChampionZero

A Magitek archetype done right, put bluntly. Spellcasters, Warrriors, Psychics, Machines . . . but, despite the diversity, these Pendulums work amazingly together. Unlike Spell Counter Magicians, Infinity Gear monsters don't need a Spell Card to resolve before they get their Spell Counters, and with most of their effects being Quick Effects, you don't even need to fear slamming yourself with a Dark Hole if you want your monsters to get their effects off. As such, they tend to play fast and loose, shooting off as many Spell Cards as they can, as quickly as they can. Better yet, they can even freely recycle Spells with ease, and it's not like Spell Counters will be hard to come by. And when they're done toying with Spell Cards, they make Ranks 4 through 7 like nobody's business, and their archetype Xyz hit hard with negation and lock tactics, with their own equivalents to CDI, #38, and Flare Metal. Their only limitation is that their stats are garbage across the board, with no member exceeding 3000 in either stat . . . but that can't be called much of a limitation, really.

[spoiler=MD MONSTERS]

Infinity Gear Knight

Level 4 ~ DARK ~ Warrior/Effect

This card gains 1000 ATK for each Spell Counter on it (max. 1). You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this monster: It can attack your opponent directly this turn.

1400/1000

Infinity Gear Gardna

Level 4 ~ DARK ~ Warrior/Effect

This card gains 1000 DEF for each Spell Counter on it (max. 1). If this monster is targeted by your opponent’s card effect: You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card; negate that effect. When your opponent declares a direct attack while this card is in the Graveyard, you can Special Summon this monster in face-up Defense Position.

1000/1800

Infinity Gear Commando

Level 5 ~ DARK ~ Warrior/Effect

This card gains 1200 ATK for each Spell Counter on it (max. 1). If this monster is targeted by your opponent’s card effect: You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card; negate that effect.

1800/2000

Infinity Gear Phalanx

Level 5 ~ DARK ~ Warrior/Effect

This card gains 2200 ATK and DEF for each Spell Counter on it (max. 1). When this card is destroyed, if it had a Spell Counter on it, you can Special Summon 3 "Infinity Gear" Pendulum Monsters with the same level from your Graveyard.

1100/1100

Infinity Gear Blast Mage

Level 4 ~ DARK ~ Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

<8/8> [When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 2). You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card; add 1 “Infinity Gear” card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Blast Mage" once per turn.]

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 3). You can remove 3 Spell Counters from monsters you control; Destroy two cards on the field. (This is a Quick Effect.) You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Blast Mage" once per turn.

1300/500

Infinity Gear Blade Mage

Level 4 ~ DARK ~ Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

<5/5> [When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 2). You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card; add 1 “Infinity Gear” card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Blade Mage" once per turn.]

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 5). You can remove up to 5 Spell Counters from monsters you control; inflict 300 Points of damage times the number of Spell Counters removed to your opponent. (This is a Quick Effect.) You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Blade Mage" once per turn.

1700/0

Infinity Gear Librarian

Level 5 ~ DARK ~ Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

<5/5> [When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 3). You can remove 3 Spell Counters from this card; add 2 “Infinity Gear” cards from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Librarian" once per turn.]

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 3). You can remove up to 3 Spell Counters from monsters you control, then activate the appropriate effect, depending on the number of Spell Counters removed:

1. Increase or reduce the level of an "Infinity Gear" Monster you control by 1 until the End Phase.

2. Increase or reduce the level of an "Infinity Gear" Monster you control by 2 until the End Phase.

3. Increase or reduce the level of an "Infinity Gear" Monster you control by 3 until the End Phase.

You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Librarian" once per turn.

1200/2000

Infinity Gear Gateway Mage

Level 5 ~ DARK ~ Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

<8/8> [When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 5). You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card; add 1 face-up "Infinity Gear" monster from your Extra Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Gateway Mage" once per turn.]

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 2). You can remove 2 Spell Counters from monsters you control; Special Summon one Level 6 or 7 "Infinity Gear" monster from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Gateway Mage" once per turn.

2000/2400

Infinity Gear Overloader

Level 6 ~ DARK ~ Psychic/Pendulum/Effect

<3/3>[When a Spell Card or effect is activated, "Infinity Gear" monsters you control gain 1 Spell Counter.]

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 3). Once per turn: You can remove 3 Spell Counters from monsters you control; Special Summon 1 "Infinity Gear" monster from your Hand or Pendulum Zone.

0/2000

Infinity Gear Controller

Level 6 ~ DARK ~ Psychic/Pendulum/Effect

<6/6>[if you have an "Infinity Gear" monster in your other Pendulum Zone, except "Infinity Gear Controller," you can destroy this card: Place 2 Spell Counters on every "Infinity Gear" monster you control. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Controller" once per turn.]

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 1 Spell Counter (Max. 3). Once per turn: You can remove 3 Spell Counters from monsters you control; Special Summon 1 face-up "Infinity Gear" monster from your Extra Deck or Pendulum Zone. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Gear Controller" once per turn.

0/2000

Infinity Gear Golem

Level 7 ~ DARK ~ Machine/Effect

When a Spell Card or effect is activated, this card gains 2 Spell Counters (Max. 10). You can Special Summon this monster from your hand while your Pendulum Zones are occupied by monsters whose Pendulum Scales have a difference of 1. You can only activate this effect of "Infinity Gear Golem" once per turn.

2500/2800

[spoiler=SPELLS/TRAPS]

The Infinity Gear

Field Spell

Once per turn, when a Spell Card or effect is activated, (Except "Infinity Gear" Spells) you can add 1 Spell Counter to an "Infinity Gear" monster on the field.

Infinity Gear Acceleration

Quick-play Spell

Place 1 Spell Counter on every "Infinity Gear" monster you control. You cannot activate "Infinity Gear" Spells for the rest of the turn this card is activated.

Infinity Gear Grenade

Normal Spell

Remove 2 Spell Counters from an "Infinity Gear" card you control: inflict 1000 points of damage to your opponent.

Infinity Gear Reverse

Counter Trap

When your opponent activates a Trap: Negate that trap's activation and set it and this card face-down.

[spoiler= ED MONSTERS]

Numerix-105: Infinity Gear Archfiend

DARK - Rank 4 - Fiend/Xyz/Effect

5 Level 4 Monsters

When your opponent activates a Spell Card or the effect of a Spell Card: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this monster to change that card's effect to one of the following:

●Target 1 "Infinity Gear" monster your opponent controls; That target gains a number of Spell Counters equal to its Level/Rank.

●Take 100 damage for each Spell Card in the Graveyard.

●Each player shuffles 5 Spell Cards from their opponent's Graveyard into their original owner's Deck, or all Spell Cards if there are less than 5.

●Discard your entire hand.

●Add this card to your opponent's hand.

3000/3000

Infinity Gear High Magus Kronos

Rank 5 ~ DARK ~ Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect

3 Level 5 "Infinity Gear" monsters.

When your opponent activates a Spell Card, you can inflict 800 points of damage to them. You can detach one Xyz Material from this card: Add 1 Face-up Pendulum Monster from your Extra Deck to your hand.

2700/2800

Infinity Gear Core

Rank 6 ~ DARK ~ Psychic/Xyz/Effect

2 Level 6 "Infinity Gear" monsters

Whenever a Spell card or effect resolves, you can attach that Spell to this monster. When your opponent declares an attack, you can detach one Xyz Material from this card to change the attack target to a monster on either side of the field. When an "Infinity Gear" monster is sent from the field to the Graveyard or Extra Deck, this monster gains ATK equal to the number of Spell Counters the monster had while on the field x300.

2800/2900

Infinity Gear Guardian Dragon

Rank 7 ~ DARK ~ Psychic/Xyz/Effect

2 Level 7 "Infinity Gear" monsters

Once per turn: you can target a monster that can have Spell Counters placed on it; attach it to this monster as Xyz Material. This monster gains 200 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it that originally was a monster that could have Spell Counters placed on it. When a Spell Card is activated, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Negate that Spell Card's effects and destroy it.

2900/3000

I'm going to expand the hell out of this, so CnC is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Infinity Gear Knight: A 2400 Level 4 beatstick with targeting protection is nice. The PSCT’s a bit off though, it should be:

“This card gains 1000 ATK for each Spell Counter on it (max. 1). If this monster is targeted by your opponent’s card effect: You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card; negate that effect.”

Since you can only have at most one Spell Counter on this card anyway, it’s best to word it like “Breaker the Magical Warrior” in that it gains ATK for the Spell Counter, and the (max. 1) should be at the end of the sentence. Removing the Spell Counter is a cost, so you want to have a semicolon to follow it. I replaced that “when” with an “if” so you wouldn’t miss timing, which I don’t think should happen, but it’s best to be safe. Replaced “one” with “1” because you want to use numerical form of numbers whenever possible in these cards. Finally I changed the bit of it being unaffected by that card effect to negating it, as I don’t think there’s a way to make a card unaffected by a single effect.

*****************************************************************************************************

Infinity Gear Gardna: You have it gain 1000 DEF from a Spell Counter, but it has 1400/1000 spread like Knight? I’d recommend making its base defense 1800, so it can at least live up to its name. Also, some battle protection in the Graveyard might be nice since it has “Gardna” in its name. Though, you gave this the same Spell Counter effect as Knight, which kind of confuses me a little bit. I think it’d be better to focus on offensive and defensive effects to avoid your cards from bleeding together. Making Knight have an offensive effect like “Once per turn, during your Battle Phase: You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card; this card can make a second attack this turn.” Same thing as I mentioned with the PSCT for this one too.

*****************************************************************************************************

Commando: A Tribute monster with a similar statline and effect to your Level 4 monsters is not a good idea. The ATK’s only 600 higher, you’re be better off running an Equip Spell for your Level 4 to buff it up. The targeting protection is the same for these two, it should at the very least have a better effect. PSCT fixes also follow the same rule as I stated earlier.

Phalanx: PSCT fix for the first part: “This card gains 2200 ATK and DEF for each Spell Counter on it (max. 1).” Best not to have something alter original ATK in all honesty, the wording’s always pretty confusing. Even “Performage Hat Tricker”, which has a similar boost from 1100 to 3300, just says, “its ATK and DEF become 3300.” Same PSCT fix as mentioned before. Anyways, again, it’s a Tribute monster, and while it’s cool that it can reach 3300 ATK, the effects don’t really justify the efforts. I haven’t checked the Spells/Traps yet, but it really should be the case that the monsters can at the very least function on their own without the Spells/Traps, just in case you don’t open enough of them. Like “Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon” can be summoned straight from the hand by revealing a vanilla “BEWD” in your hand.

Blast Mage:

Pendulum Effect: Too many counters for a card that can recover anything from the Graveyard. It should be (Max. 2) at the most, as you really don’t need much more with how quick Spell Counters can spawn the field. However, it actually doesn’t matter, as the PSCT is busted so that you would never place Spell Counters on this card by its own effect, because it say “When a Spell Card or effect is activated” and since the effect of the Spell follows its activation, it misses timing. Also, you need to put a HOPT on that effect, or you’ll get some stupid loops.

“Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves (Max. 3). You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card, then target 1 “Infinity Gear” monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Infinity Gear Blast Mage” once per turn.”

Monster Effect: Again, put a HOPT on this card immediately, while not really loopable, it’d be ridiculous if this could use this effect multiple times in a turn, especially since it works really well as disruption since it doesn’t target. Also, the fact that it can pull Spell Counters from other monsters is pretty awful. That said, I like the idea of the effect, it’s very powerful, I just don’t want it to be broken.

“Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves, (Max. 5). Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can remove 3 Spell Counters from this card; destroy up to 2 cards on the field. You can only use this effect of “Infinity Gear Blast Mage” once per turn.

Blade Mage:

Pendulum Effect: Same critiques I gave for Blast Mage. Though on a side note, what’s the deal with that scale of 5? I would think you should at least make it a 6 so you can summon those level 5 ones from earlier.

Monster Effect: That burn damage feels like it’d be better fitting to lore to be on Blast Mage, but whatever. I’m really not keen on the effect, while you could argue it’s to help finish of limping opponents (which could be easily done by Gagaga Cowboy), that Max. 10 is ridiculous, especially since “Magical Citadel of Endymion” exists, I could easily see someone dealing just a stupid amount of damage, especially with a “Spellbook” engine. Here’s how I’d suggest fixing it up.

“Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves, (Max. 5). You can remove up to 5 Spell Counters from this card; inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each Spell Counter removed. You can only use this effect of “Infinity Gear Blade Mage” once per turn.

Librarian:

Pendulum Effect: You increased the cost to make it retrieve more. Again, these samey effects are a bit annoying, it’d be better to diversify the effects. Seeing as it’s a Librarian, I think it’d be better to have it add a card from the Deck to the hand for the cost of 3 Spell Counters, seeing as that’s similar to the other Library cards we have.

“Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves (Max. 3). You can remove 3 Spell Counters from this card, then target 1 “Infinity Gear” monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Infinity Gear Librarian” once per turn.”

Monster Effect: I see you’re making a card to set up Xyz Plays, that’s awesome. Turn those periods after the numbers colons, change that Max. 10, to a Max. 3, but you can still keep the ability of it to remove spell counters from other monsters you control.

Gateway Mage:

Pendulum Effect: You made this card have a lower cost of 1 Spell Counter, but made it a much better Scale 8, WHY?! Anyway, as it’s a better scale, I’d make it require 3 to retrieve from the Graveyard only, and lower that Max. to 5.

Monster Effect: Well as a Scale 8 I have to wonder why it has this effect, I mean you want this card in your Pendulum Zone, being in the Pendulum Zone makes it more reusable, and less destructible. Again, lower the Max. to 3, and make it only able to use this effect once per turn. You don’t need to make it a HOPT though.

Overloader:

Pendulum Effect: Okay, that’s a ridiculous amount of Counter gaining, especially with the Field Spell. I’d seriously reduce it so that it only can do this once per turn. If you have a field of 5 monsters, then that’s 5 Spell Counters immediately, that will go back onto Citadel when they’re destroyed, and will just cause a general bad time.

Monster Effect: But WHY?! You have this effect already, but a bit weaker on the scale 8 variant. I don’t understand why you’re making your better scales have effects to make summoning easier, as you probably wouldn’t want to play them as monsters. It feels like with a name like Overloader you might make it able to place 5 Spell Counters on a card, ignoring the Max. amount, however at the End Phase that monster is destroyed. That would combo really well with Knight, with the effect I suggested. I do want to make this clear, you don’t have to follow any of the advice I give you on possible effects, but I do think it’d be a good idea to make it so these cards have more diverse effects. We already have that in Igknights imo.

Controller:

Pendulum: Well this is an interesting effect, but for the amount of Counter spam for such a non existent cost, means I’m rather turned off by it. I’m glad you included a HOPT, but I’d honestly make it place 1 on each, as popping itself is actually really good so you can activate another Pendulum card to use as your scale to generate more Spell Counters.

Monster Effect: Anyway, SS from the Pendulum Zone is actually a pretty good idea, it opens up a Pendulum Zone so you can play more cards to generate more Spell Counter spam.

Infinity Gear Golem: I see this is supposed to be the piggy bank of your Spell Counter deck, as it generates Spell Counters at a much faster rate. That SS effect is strange to me, as the only Pendulum cards with a difference of 1 possible is Controller with a scale 5, so I think I’d rather just summon it by using your scale 8’s. Also, if you’re going to make it a piggy bank for Spell Counters, it might be a good idea to give it some protection effects, because I still think it’d be outclassed by Citadel.

The Infinity Gear: Okay, the counter spam is getting pretty ridiculous. Again, this would generate 5 Spell Counters per Spell Card activated when you have a full field, and especially with cards like Blade Mage and Tempest Magician, it does get kind of ridiculous. I do get that it’s limited by it only working with non-Infinity Gear Spells, but Spellbook engines are a thing that exist. I think Spell Counter decks already have a good and fair card in Endymion, so a field spell would probably be unnecessary.

Infinity Gear Acceleration: For that name I was expecting a Quick-Play. Anyway, it’s the same as the Field Spell, why? If you gave this card a once per turn limit, (it wouldn’t have to be an HOPT), you could justify this, but right now it’s just ridiculous.

Infinity Gear Reverse: Scrap Iron Scarecrow for all forms of Traps. Well since it’s only usable against traps, and doesn’t destroy them, I guess it’s fine, just tie it to the archetype more. Like:

“When your opponent activate a Trap Card: Remove 3 Spell Counters from your side of the field negate that Trap Card’s activation, and Set it and this card face-down.”

Also, this card and the card you’re negating are Traps, so you don’t need that clause at the end, as when Traps are set, they can’t be activated until next turn. Look at “Scrap-Iron Scarecrow”.

Numerix-105: Infinity Gear Archfiend: Okay, I like the idea of this card, but it’s too overpowered for several reasons. First of, it requires 5 Level 4 monsters, there are a multitude of decks that can put out 5 Level 4 monsters with no problem. At the very least it should be limited so that it can only be made with Level 4 “Infinity Gear” monsters. Second, “Discard your entire hand.” as an effect you can change it to is broken beyond compare, especially with the rather Trapless meta we’re in now. If you got this thing out turn 1, you’re opponent’s pretty screwed, as Spell Cards help advance the game state in today’s meta a ridiculous amount. I think the idea of it negating multiple Spell Cards per turn is fine, but it needs to be toned down quite a bit. Maybe make it only able to have 3 Xyz Material, and a you can only control 1 clause. Also, it’s ATK should be lowered, as no Rank 4 other than Crazy Box reaches 3000.

Infinity Gear High Magus Kronos: Same rant about missing timing here: “Each time your opponent activates a Spell Card or effect, inflict 800 damage to your opponent immediately after it resolves.” Also, this would be fine requiring only 2 Level 5 “Infinity Gear” monsters.

Infinity Gear Core: Well that Spell card attachment is cool, and since it doesn’t protect itself from card effect it works fine enough, but please make it to any other target on your side of the field. Making your opponent attack their own s*** is pretty annoying.

Infinity Gear Guardian Dragon: Honestly I think this is a lot better designed card. While it does negate spells multiple times a turn, and can gain more possible negations, it’s not awful.

Overall: The premise of a Spell Counter spam archetype is interesting, but there are several problems with this archetype. Including among them the lack of restraint in said spamming. The fact that the non-pendulum monsters feel utterly pointless with their samey effects, the Pendulum monsters needing to be diversified a lot more with their equally samey effects. Better management of the maximum amount of Spell Counters seeing as setting scales nets you Spell Counters. The Xyz monsters could do with some fine tuning, maybe diversify them a bit more. There’s a lot of general “make opponent regret playing their spells” but not much else.

Oh jeez, that's a lot of info! Thank you so much! I'm giving these guys and overhaul, for sure.

Just a note: The prompt says that they don't need the Spells to resolve for them to gain Spell Counters.

Well, there still seems to be some issues with that, what with chaining and the like, but I guess as passive continuous effects as you word it, it might work, though I'm not the most educated on PSCT and chaining effects.

• 1 month later...

Archived