Amorphirror - Adaptable Card-Consuming Amoeba XYZ

notcleverusername

Desperately needs help with PSCT.

[spoiler=Concept]The starting idea was 1-material XYZs that gained materials by stealing the opponent's Tuners, Fusion Spells, and Ritual Spells. They would gain effects the more materials they had, and all would share battle destruction immunity at 2 materials. Originally I had also wanted their 3-material effect to be a detach 1 and their 4-material effect to be a detach 2.

Around this time I also came up with the original name, which was "Amirrorpheus", which also decided the Type. I knew I wanted them all to be different ranks and also that I wanted to avoid giving rank 3 and rank 4 1-material XYZs, though I gave in to rank 3 eventually. Finally, I threw in an idea I'd wanted to implement for a while of an XYZ that revives by attaching the opponent's cards to it, and adapted some ideas I'd originally saved for Boss Monsters in regards to floodgate XYZs that attached cards like Macro Cosmos banished them.

The name changed to "Category Amirrorph" which eventually just became "Amorphirror". The 3 outside ideas also deviated from the format. The reviving one became 2 materials for a summon, as well as having a 1+ effect, while the Bosses got higher material requirements for their effects to tie in to the relative ease in stacking materials on them. I also added on a "You can only Spec once per turn" to make it so that F0 couldn't be summoned TOO easily, though it nevertheless remains much easier to summon with these cards.

My original detach 1 effect in conception was to have them break up summoned monsters into their base components, an idea which I intend to reuse later. Anyways, when actually making the cards I had long forgotten this due to letting the idea sit in stasis and gave them all negation instead. The effect targeted 1 of the Summoning Type they were meant to counter, negated their effects and prevented them from attacking, and made them unable to be used as material for another of their Summoning Type. I returned them to the original conception I had, but the PSCT is awful and needs help.

Amorphirror Corrosion Slime
[spoiler=Notes]On a side note, this card was the first to be fully named.

This one was an offshoot of the original idea that I felt would fit within the archetype. It went through a lot of adjustments, and buffs usually came paired with nerfs and vice-versa. I knew I didn't want it to summon during the Main Phase so as to avoid combo plays with it, but I didn't decide on which phases to assign which effects until much later (I even considered the Battle Phase at one point!).

The no-Tribute clause was not part of the original design but was developed early in the design fiddling. The protection effects were fun to make because I was also making it harder to get rid of before it starts hurting you. The burn was originally the last effect but it seems significantly less painful than allowing the opponent to essentially attack directly. That effect took a while to create purely because of how weird it is.
Because this card was made early its original design was not so defensive; but I soon realized it wouldn't make sense to have a reviving removal also be able to close games.

Note the lack of once per turn on its revival. If you can get rid of it during your Standby Phase, or if you summon multiples, you are free to steal multiple monsters. This also lets you attach other Corrosion Slimes to each other to reduce the drawbacks. The effect was originally non-targeting hard OPT, and then targeting hard OPT, to the version it is now.

Rank 1 DARK Aqua
0/0
2 level 1 monsters
During your Standby Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Special Summon this card in face-up Defense Position, and if you do, attach that target to this card as a face-up XYZ material. Once per turn, during your opponent's Standby Phase: Attach 1 card from your hand or your side of the field to this card as a face-up XYZ material. If you cannot, destroy this card. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 1+: Cannot be Tributed.
  • 2+: Cannot be destroyed by battle.
  • 3+: Cannot be destroyed by card effects.
  • 4+: Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Take 200 damage for each XYZ material attached to this card.
  • 5+: If this Defense Position card is attacked, you take piercing battle damage.

Amorphirror Depolymerizing Solvent
[spoiler=Notes]The hardest part of this was figuring out where it should be able to steal from, and then how to word it. The current form can pseudo-negate Brilliant Fusion and Fusion Gate, and also steal Synchro Fusionist. I'm rather proud of the name for no real reason. I do like the idea of a liquid that dissolves Fusions into their base components, however.

Incidentally, when I was doing last touches, this card's name reminded me of the original effect I had wanted, so I ended up changing most of them due to this.

Rank 2 WATER Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 2 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror Depolymerizing Solvent" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 "Polymerization" card or "Fusion" card your opponent controls or in their Graveyard; attach it to this card as an XYZ material. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: During either player's turn: You can detach 1 XYZ material from this card, then target 1 face-up Fusion monster your opponent controls; return it to the Extra Deck, then Special Summon as many as possible of the Fusion Material monsters used for its Fusion Summon from your opponent's Graveyard to your opponent's side of the field, but their effects are negated and they cannot be used as Fusion Material monsters.
  • 4+: Once per chain, during either player's turn: You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card; all cards sent to the Graveyard during this Chain are banished instead.

Amorphirror Silent Mist
[spoiler=Notes]The name is based on the idea of an ominous mist that muffles sounds, thus inhibiting Synchro Summons. Tuners disappear mysteriously when the mist engulfs them.

The 4+ eff was a bit difficult to come up with, as I wanted to allow it to avoid Ultimaya but also didn't want to go with my initial idea of just changing the opponent's monsters' levels into ranks.

This was actually one of the hardest cards to settle on, not because of effect issues, but because of summoning conditions. I didn't want to give rank 3 the strongest counter effect, but I also didn't want to jank Rituals by making their counter one of the most easily summoned ranks. There was a lot of shuffling around. Initially it countered Rituals; then it countered XYZs, but I removed that so that rank 3 wouldn't be able to respond to the most common summoning condition. I also wanted to keep Fusion and Ritual together rank-wise, but since I removed that option for 3, and wanted to avoid giving rank 2 the most situational counter, I ultimately gave up on it. Ultimately I settled for giving it Synchro.

Rank 3 DARK Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 3 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror Silent Mist" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can attach 1 Tuner monster from your opponent's Graveyard or among the face-up Pendulum monsters in your opponent's Extra Deck to this card as an XYZ material. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: During either player's turn: You can detach 1 XYZ material from this card, then target 1 Synchro monster your opponent controls; return it to the Extra Deck, then Special Summon as many as possible of the Synchro Material monsters used for its Synchro Summon from your opponent's Graveyard to your opponent's side of the field, but their effects are negated and they cannot be used as Synchro Material monsters.
  • 4+: Once per Chain, during either player's turn: You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card, then target any number of face-up monsters your opponent controls; increase each of their levels by 8 until the end of the turn.

Amorphirror Quantum Condensate
[spoiler=Notes]The card's name is based on the Bose-Einstein Condensate.

A counter Pendulum effect was hard to design. The initial version, with the shared target-negation-no material theme, was straightforward for the first 2 parts but the last part was difficult to conceptualize. I eventually went for preventing them from being used as a material/Tribute when the other materials were Pendulums, so you wouldn't, for example, be able to use the targeted monster as an XYZ material with another Pendulum to make Majesty Dracoslayer.

The new effects can't really use a similar format as the other Summoning Methods. I was considering just having it return them all to the hand or Extra Deck, and then something to hit the scales, but ultimately I went for a Kaiju Kumongous-like effect.

The 4+ effect was the first one I came up with. It was somewhat spontaneous, and I mostly threw it in because it really amuses me.

Rank 5 WATER Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 5 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror Quantum Condensate" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can attach 1 face-up Pendulum monster from your opponent's Extra Deck to this card as an XYZ material. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: During either player's turn, when your opponent Pendulum Summons a monster(s): You can detach 1 XYZ material from this card; until the end of the next turn, they cannot attack, their effects are negated, and they cannot be Tributed or used as a Material for a Summon.
  • 4+: During either player's turn, if you control no cards in a Pendulum Zone: You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card, then target up to 2 Pendulum cards your opponent controls: Place them in your Pendulum Zones, but they are banished during your next End Phase.

Amorphirror Ritual Dampener
[spoiler=Notes]Figuring out the Ritual counter was difficult. I eventually made rank 6 the Ritual counter because it has relatively more support than most of the ranks other than 5, but nowhere near so much as 3, so that Rituals wouldn't have to deal with every deck being able to easily make their counter Amorphirror.

On one hand, I do feel the effects may be too strong. On the other, I also do feel that much like Rituals themselves, this card needs more power in its effects to be worth running, since otherwise even against Rituals it may not be worth running due to the situationality of accumulating materials.

As a fun side note I originally didn't notice, its 4+ effect lets you stifle Psyframelord Omega.

Rank 6 EARTH Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 6 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror Ritual Dampener" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 Ritual Spell in your opponent's Graveyard; attach it to this card as an XYZ material. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: During either player's turn: You can detach 1 XYZ material from this card, then target 1 face-up Ritual monster your opponent controls; return it to the top of the owner's Deck, then Special Summon as many as possible of the monsters Tributed to Ritual Summon that monster from your opponent's Graveyard to your opponent's side of the field, but their effects are negated and they cannot be Tributed.
  • 4+: During either player's turn, if your opponent activates a card or effect: You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card; banish all cards in both player's hands until the end of the Turn Phase.

Amorphirror Space Ocean
[spoiler=Notes]There were a lot of possible names I considered, but several of them were dismissed due to being too similar to Unformed Void and to some of my other CACs. I wanted it to be based on dark matter (the original name was Dark Mass) but the thought of a Space Ocean is cool too.
I knew from the outset that I wanted to give 7 the best counter effect. Originally it had the S/T pseudo-Macro, so when I switched I gave it XYZs. The 3+ effect was extremely difficult to word and in the end I just ripped it from XYZ Encore. The 4+ effect was the last I came up with, and although it does require Extra Deck investment, I'm fairly pleased with it.

Rank 7 DARK Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 7 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror Space Ocean" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 XYZ material from a monster your opponent controls and attach it to this card as an XYZ material. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: During either player's turn: You can detach 1 XYZ material from this card, then target 1 face-up XYZ monster your opponent controls; detach all Xyz Materials from it, and if you do, return it to the Extra Deck, then, if there is a Monster Card in the Graveyard among those detached Xyz Materials, Special Summon as many of those monsters as possible from the Graveyard to your opponent's side of the field, but their effects are negated and they cannot be used as XYZ materials.
  • 4+: During either player's turn: You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card, then target 2 monsters your opponent controls with the same Level and/or Rank: Special Summon 1 "Amorphirror" monster from your Extra Deck to your opponent's side of the field in face-up Defense Position, then attach those monsters to it as XYZ materials, but its effects are negated. (This Special Summon is treated as an XYZ Summon).

Amorphirror Magic Sinkswamp
[spoiler=Notes]Originally this was rank 7 before I realized I needed more Amorphirrors to counter more Summoning Conditions. This idea originally existed in the Boss Monsters thread, which holds a similar card in Charybdis, also a rank 8. Its effects require higher material counts due to the relative ease in acquiring them.

I designed this as the defensive "boss" of the archetype. Thus it has 2 protection effects, and its S/T negation effect only works on your turn. I'm waffling between making that effect Quick or not; currently it is to block cards like Compulsory or similar.

This card's Final Effect was one of the first I designed. I decided to make its ultimate move be a toolbox effect, and stole Ptolemaeus's regular effect.

Rank 8 WATER Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 8 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror Magic Sinkswamp" once per turn. Any Spell or Trap card sent to the Graveyard is attached to this card as a face-up XYZ material instead. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: Cannot be destroyed by battle.
  • 4+: Negate the effects of cards that target only this card.
  • 5+: You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card; negate the effects of your opponent's Spell and Trap cards until the end of the turn. (This is a Quick effect)
  • 6+: Once per chain, during either player's turn: You can detach 5 XYZ materials from this card; Special Summon 1 rank 7 or lower "Amorphirror" monster from your Extra Deck, by using this face-up card you control as the Xyz Material. (This is treated as an Xyz Summon. Xyz Materials attached to this card also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)

Amorphirror King Slime
[spoiler=Notes]I threw in a little duality for this card in the theme. It's meant to be compared to Corrosion Slime as basic DARK vs boss LIGHT, and to Magic Sinkswap as defensive S/T pseudo-Macro vs offensive monster psuedo-Arc Light.

The original attachment conditions didn't include XYZ materials because I forgot about them. As far as it goes, although I do want to keep them inclued, it makes the text look terrible. Oh well.

Although this card still has a protection effect, its other effects are clearly meant to apply offensive pressure. I had a hard time choosing a protection effect that didn't overlap with Corrosion Slime or Magic Sinkswamp, since, well...targeting and destruction are the go-tos. I was going to go with a Towers effect but I felt that got too long, so I went for a Magnas + Unicore deal instead.

Its ultimate effect is probably one of the most ultimate I've ever given a monster. Originally I had made it so that it would detach first and thus lose its DEF boosts, but I didn't like that look so I made it the version it is now. Similarly, I had originally designed the attacking in DEF effect as a Diamond Crab King effect instead, but this version is much simpler to use.

Speaking of DEF boosts, I waffle between 300 and 400 but I think 400 is fine overall. Obviously, if you can get to 10 materials, you'll have double attacking 4k, but on the other hand you also made it to 10 materials while running level 9s.

Rank 9 LIGHT Aqua
0/0
1 or more level 9 monsters
You can only Special Summon "Amorphirror King Slime" once per turn. Any monster sent to the Graveyard by being Tributed, being destroyed by a card effect, as a material for a Summon, or by being detached as an XYZ material from an XYZ monster other than "Amirrorpheus King Slime"  is attached to this card as a face-up XYZ material instead. This card gains effects based on the number of XYZ materials attached to it.

• 3+: Cannot be destroyed by battle.
  • 4+: Unaffected by the effects of face-up monsters on the field that were Special Summoned from the hand or Extra Deck.
  • 5+: Your opponent cannot target monsters you control for attacks or effects, except "Amorphirror King Slime".
  • 6+: This card gains 400 DEF for each XYZ material attached to it.
  • 7+: This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation.
  • 10+: During your Main Phase 1, you can activate this effect: Conduct a second Battle Phase this turn after your Main Phase 2. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) During the End Phase, detach 10 XYZ materials from this card.

Metamirrorphosis
[spoiler=Notes]I threw in this card just for fun. It's designed in the usual Rank-Up vein but given an additional effect that lets you use it with any level 1-9 monster that isn't level 4, so it doesn't have as much issue with not being able to help starting plays. Since Amorphirrors by and large cannot deal damage to the opponent, I felt there was no problem making this an unrestricted Quickplay.

Quickplay Spell
Target 1 face-up monster you control; apply the appropriate effect, based on the original name of the targeted monster.

• "Amorphirror" monster: Special Summon, from your Extra Deck, 1 "Amorphirror" monster with a different name than the targeted monster's original name, by using that target as the XYZ material. (Attached Xyz Materials also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)
  • Non-"Amorphirror" monster: Special Summon, from your Extra Deck, 1 "Amorphirror" monster whose rank is equal to the targeted monster's original level or rank, by using that target as the XYZ material. (If the target is an XYZ mosnter, attached Xyz Materials also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)

This Special Summon is treated as an XYZ Summon.

Archived