Deep Dreamers - Mesopotamian Milling! [18/?]

Tojin

So the idea for these guys came about after seeing Number 68: Sanaphond the Sky Prison revealed about a month ago. I started thinking of what deck could reliably summon and use Sanaphond, and since there really isn't one as far as I know, I decided to make one!

Deep Dreamers superficially resemble Lightsworns, in that they're both mill-focused, and as such, are very Graveyard-heavy. However, that's about where the similarities end (other than a few Wulf-style effects). For one, Deep Dreamers are all level 8, and therefore also have many ways to summon themselves easily. Their milling also mainly affects both players, rather than just yourself. The last major difference is that Deep Dreamers are a lot more dedicated to the monster mash playstyle - there is not a single piece of Spell or Trap support in the archetype, but there are several Graveyard lockdown effects that prevent things that have been milled from doing stuff. Of course, that doesn't prevent them from using outside support, like Trade-In or Allure of Darkness, but it's best to keep cards like that at a minimum. Oh, and they're all named after major Mesopotamian deities.

Please let me know if these guys are broken in any way. I have a suspicion that they're pretty ridiculous, especially the Xyz Monsters.

[spoiler=Main Deck (14)]

Deep Dreamer Adad

Level 8

DARK

Aqua/Effect

1200/150

You can send the top 3 cards of both player’s Decks to the Graveyard: Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. Each time you Summon a “Deep Dreamer” monster, send the top card of both player’s Decks to the Graveyard.

Deep Dreamer Ninhursag

Level 8

DARK

Rock/Effect

0/1700

Each time a card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, except by the effect of “Deep Dreamer Ninhursag”, send the top card of both player’s Decks to the Graveyard. Once per turn, if this card is in your Graveyard, you can target 3 other cards in your Graveyard: shuffle them into your Deck, then Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, and if you do, draw 1 card. Activate this effect only if there are no Spell/Trap cards in your Graveyard.

Deep Dreamer Nabu

Level 8

DARK

Spellcaster/Effect

900/900

When this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard: Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. Once per turn, you can target 1 “Deep Dreamer” monster you control: it gains 100 ATK for each monster in the Graveyards, also when it destroys a monster by battle, send the top 3 cards of both player’s Decks to the Graveyard.

Deep Dreamer Nergal

Level 8

DARK

Fiend/Effect

1900/0

If your opponent has a Spell/Trap card in their Graveyard and you do not, you can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. You can banish 4 monsters from the Graveyard(s): Special Summon a “Deep Dreamer” monster from your Deck. You can only activate this effect of "Deep Dreamer Nergal" once per turn.

Deep Dreamer Ashur

Level 8

DARK

Winged Beast/Effect

1300/1300

You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 other “Deep Dreamer” monster you control: monsters cannot activate their effects in the Graveyard this turn, except “Deep Dreamer” monsters.

Deep Dreamer Dagon

Level 8

DARK

Plant/Effect

1700/100

When a card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, send the top 3 cards of both players’ Decks to the Graveyard. Once per turn, you can banish up to 5 cards from either player’s Graveyard.

Deep Dreamer Ereshkigal

Level 8

DARK

Zombie/Effect

1800/0

When a “Deep Dreamer” monster is Normal or Special Summoned, you can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, you can banish 1 Spell/Trap from either player’s Graveyard: Special Summon 1 “Deep Dreamer” monster from your Graveyard, or that is currently banished, with less ATK than this card’s original ATK.

Deep Dreamer Ishtar

Level 8

DARK

Fairy/Effect

2000/0

If this card is in your hand or Graveyard while you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card. An Xyz Monster that uses this card as Xyz Material gains the following effect:

• When this card is Xyz Summoned, attach 1 “Deep Dreamer” monster from your Graveyard to this card as Xyz Material.

Deep Dreamer Nanshe

Level 8

DARK

Fish/Effect

300/1400

You can discard 1 card to Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. When this card is Summoned, you can add 1 “Deep Dreamer” card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect of “Deep Dreamer Nanshe” once per turn.

Deep Dreamer Ninlil

Level 8

DARK

Winged Beast/Effect

1600/400

If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn, you can send the top 2 cards of both players’ Decks to the Graveyard.

Deep Dreamer Ninurta

Level 8

DARK

Warrior/Effect

1200/1500

You can reveal 1 “Deep Dreamer” card in your hand: Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. Once per turn, you can banish 1 card from your Graveyard: add 1 “Deep Dreamer” monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

Deep Dreamer Shamash

Level 8

DARK

Fairy/Effect

100/1800

If your opponent controls a monster that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck and you do not, you can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. Once per turn, you can target 1 Spell/Trap card in your Graveyard: Set it, but banish it when it leaves the field. It cannot be activated this turn.

Deep Dreamer Nanna

Level 8

DARK

Beast-Warrior/Effect

500/500

If your opponent has more cards in your hand than you do, you can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. Once per turn, you can discard 1 “Deep Dreamer” card: draw 1 card.

Deep Dreamer Tamuz

Level 8

DARK

Plant/Effect

1200/50

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard) by detaching all Xyz Materials from a face-up Xyz Monster you control. Monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each “Deep Dreamer” monster in your Graveyard.

[spoiler=Extra Deck (4)]

Deep Dreamer An

Rank 8

DARK

Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect

2000/2600

2 Level 8 monsters

While this card has Xyz Material, during your turn, any card that would be sent to your opponent’s Graveyard is banished instead. Once per turn, during either player’s turn. you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target up to 3 “Deep Dreamer” cards in your Graveyard: shuffle those targets into the Deck, and if you do, return a number of cards your opponent controls to the hand equal to the number of “Deep Dreamer” cards shuffled into the Deck - 1. You can only control 1 face-up “Deep Dreamer An”.

Deep Dreamer Enki

Rank 8

DARK

Aqua/Xyz/Effect

2700/2700

2 Level 8 monsters

While this card has Xyz Material, Spell/Trap cards in both players’ Graveyards are treated as Monster cards instead, and cannot activate their effects in the Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 monster on the field: send cards from the top of both players’ Decks to the Graveyard equal to its Level/Rank, then reduce the target’s Level/Rank by 2. You can only control 1 face-up “Deep Dreamer Enki”.

Deep Dreamer Adramelech

Rank 8

DARK

Pyro/Xyz/Effect

2900/3000

3 Level 8 monsters

While this card has Xyz Material, negate the effects of cards your opponent controls that would send a card from the hand to the Graveyard as a cost. Inflict 200 damage to your opponent each time a card is sent from their Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, you can detach any number of Xyz Materials from this card to select and activate the appropriate effect.

• 1: Target 1 Xyz Monster you control: it gains 300 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it until the End Phase.

• 2: Inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each face-up monster on the field.

• 3+: All face-up monsters you control gain 1000 ATK until your opponent’s next End Phase.

You can only control 1 face-up “Deep Dreamer Adramelech”.

Deep Dreamer Marduk

Rank 8

DARK

Rock/Xyz/Effect

3100/3700

3 Level 8 “Deep Dreamer” monsters

While this card has Xyz Material, cards cannot leave your opponent’s Graveyard. This card inflicts piercing damage. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, you can detach any number of Xyz Materials from this card, then activate the appropriate effect.

• 1: Add 1 “Deep Dreamer” card from your Deck or Graveyard, or that is currently banished, to your hand with a different name from the detached Xyz Material.

• 2: This card cannot leave the field this turn, except by battle.

• 3+: Your opponent cannot activate card effects during the Battle Phase this turn.

You can only control 1 face-up “Deep Dreamer Marduk”.

i'm gonna review the 1st half of your cards for now.

for starter, the theme choice is intriguingly awesome. the blend of play style of Lightsworn and SHS is both unorthodox yet making sense...as any deck that capable of self milling can emulate better consistencies as the game goes which what a Monster Mash type deck probably need. well i kinda worried about this deck aspect of dual-milling although from a quick skimmed-over seems like most plays of the time will only milled about 5-6 cards from your opponent deck which can help your opponent more over time rather than disturb their card advantage so for now i let it slide

let's go to the individual cards:

Adad: rather simple self summon monster. pretty nice for starting the play.

Ninhursag: quite a value for the deck mini version Avarice, a monster, a draw, and a possible card advantage for you to add next turn.

Nabu: with 3 being a golden number of mill for this deck. i can see that this card will provide boost on around 400-600+ in earlier turns. which is quite substantial for all the main deck roster other than Ninhursag and itself

Nergal: i kinda bothered this card to be honest, its an easy to summon monster with a quite sufficient body for early game (and gets better with cards like Nabu) that able to banish a great number of cards (which often can be most of your opponent milled cards) for summon his other brethren including another copy of itself (or that copy will do that job on himself if you accidentally milled it) without any HOPT so you can loop it with the summoned copy for instant 4 mat R8NK xyz(s). so yeah, doesn't seems that fair

Ashur: and we have a weaker version of Abyss Dweller. which can be amazing on its own right if not for that measly stat. should have been being 1 of the Xyz bosses IMO.

Dagon: the self summon is fine. but i'm not quite sure about SOPT Soul Release...that card doesn't have much impact to the game and yet can be deadly with any unspent grave-resource your opponent may have left (or get milled in this case). i don't say that its a straight up OP but also being unsure for it being the otherways

Ereshkigal: oh nice, a card that could enabling the S/T tech upon the deck. that dual summon effect (itself and the banish 1 S/T > other fellow)  is nice too to be use as fodder and blocker interchangeably. 

Isthar: woah, genuine good Xyz enabler. reusable self summon and additional attach in the same packaged.

Nanse: Finally our searcher, and he really good. you can summon him from the grave as well

Thanks for the review, Doc! I did forget to put a HOPT on Nergal, so I'll fix that real quick.* I'm not too concerned about its ATK though; 1900 on a Level 8 monster, even one that can summon itself easily, isn't that much.

If you've got multiple Dagons on the field, then the banishing could get a little ridiculous, I guess, but I think it's fine as is for right now.

-----

*Or at least, I would fix it, if I didn't keep getting a strange error that prevented me from properly editing my post. So while I can't actually add the HOPT to Nergal right now, just know that in the final version it will have a HOPT.

oh well i have to properly finish it

Ninlil: pretty standard for what he does. self-summon for setup. mill effect is tame

Ninurta: another self-summon. an easily-recurring one at that. also it helps you to get a piece you accidentally milled before you can search with Nanse. nice

Shamash: quite tricky to be summon. but im slightly not comfortable with that generic Set effect albeit its slowness. but in all fairness im not gonna suggest you change it since i understand the logic behind it is to use (or reuse) any generic S/T you tech inside your build so it wont "clog" your playstyle much

Nanna: woah another self summon. guess building board is definitely an easy jobs for these Mesopotamian gods (and i personally enjoy the accidental intellect-level-pun). draw effect is really nice to have so you can run less non-archetype draw spell for the intented monster mash deck

Tamuz: im not sure that this will see play. most of your Xyz like to keep its material as possible, and it will take a turn or two for this card stat boost to reach at least 1000. there not many monster that benefit from gaining less

An: hold up there mate. sure it need Xyz Materials but...its basically a less hoop-jumping Dark Law that simply replace its anti-search effect with potentially Triple Spin. a OP card

Enki: i like this one very much. it has unique way to enable addition of S/T, the Mill effect potentially damaging instead of helping which fit in with the rest of the archetype as the boss monster, and the stat is not that terrible either

Adramelech: im a bit confused with its negation effect, while i understand it general utility i just can't define the range of "sending as cost" traits it envelop on. are tributing cards on hand or field is count? discards?

well as for the rest of it. its an extremely aggro monster whose its merits is hardly live in this deck as i understand it as a rather slow deck out deck. but oh well its a really good plan b if you ask me...especially maybe against 60 card deck thats really hard to chipped on

Marduk: so its more harsher version of Necrovalley. honestly i agree more on this than An since it doesn't truly stop grave-shenanigans. also it has nice "plan C" effects and stats pair for going aggro

In order...

I think you missed Tamuz there, Doc. :p

Also, you seem to have misinterpreted An a bit. It's not ripping off Dark Law completely, but Macro Cosmos on legs is still pretty strong. I think I'll change it to only work on your turn, since that's when most of the milling will happen. Also, the most you can spin with An's second effect is two cards. I did word that effect pretty weirdly though, so that's my fault.

Adramelech's negation effect is gonna get another fix, yeah. It's way too broad as of now. I was mainly thinking of things like Ghost Ogre when I made that part of the effect, so I think I'll restrict it to sending things from the hand to the Graveyard. As a side note, I wouldn't really call this deck slow, since you can run 3 each of Allure of Darkness and Trade-In and just about always have an applicable target.

-----

Thanks a bunch for the reviews! I really appreciate it. :)

oops...

updated the post

technically the wording on An's Spin effect is fine for my standard it is i who misinterpret it. that being said, well its less destructive...idk i still dont think it was fine as it is. i kinda compare it to the likes of Shinobaron Peacock which require more hoop-jumping than just simply making a 2 mat Xyz (Six sam dual weild trap is closer but the point still stand)

Archived