Skull Raiders Archetype: An Archetype Based on Stealing.

zepheris

I originally made this archetype years ago. It was my first post, in fact. It turned out mediocre, and incomplete. I'm making it again. Other than the name the archetype is fundamentally different though.

Motif:

The motif I'm going with for this deck is petty thieves. They steal and then run. Of course some of them have effects other than stealing, but it's good enough.

The concept works like this: The main deck cards are lvl 4 monsters that activate an effect on being banished. They can banish themselves through quick effect, then bring out a banished skull raider during the end phase, hit and run. 4 of them, Graverobber, Pickpocket, Lockpick, and Rustler, can add your opponent's cards to your hand, playing on the petty thief idea. The actual deck works on harassment, repeatedly messing with your opponent's fields and breaking plays without clearing them outright. A few plays I really like include: Stealing an opponent's spell/trap card or hand trap, then using it against them. After that, the card goes back to your opponent's grave, so you have easy access to it through graverobber. The deck doesn't have many special summoning methods, as the cards cannot be special summoned without the effects of skull raider cards, and the skull raider cards don't swarm much. The only real way to get new raiders onto the field is through normal summoning, or, during the end phase, through the effects of skull raiders that were banished that turn.

I'm not trying to make this deck strong. Quite the opposite, I'm doing my best to make sure this deck is fun to play, but rather weak. There's no boss monsters, the spells don't activate if you have an extra deck, and the cards themselves don't swarm. But the ability to steal your opponent's castell (Or any other rank 4 xyz), then summoning it, or to stop your opponent's plays with their very own ghost ogre or snow. And the ability to frustrate your opponent when your cards banish themselves before he can do anything to them. This deck does the petty harassment well, and is fun to play.

The cards themselves:

All monsters lvl 4 warrior types.

Graverobber of the skull raiders

Dark

Atk 300

Def 200

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card is banished from the field, you can add one card from your opponent's graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of graverobber of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

This is actually my favorite card in the deck. It's actually splashable in a number of decks to steal cards like twin twisters or hand traps. It's a fun card to play. In fact, most of the monsters are rather splashable in different decks. You might even use some of these cards as an engine if you needed to.

Lockpick of the skull raiders

Water

Atk 800

Def 600

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card is banished from the field, you can add one card from your opponent's spell and trap card zones to your hand.You can only use this effect of lockpick of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

Pickpocket of the skull raiders

Wind

Atk 1100

Def 400

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card is banished from the field, you can add one card from your opponent's hand to your hand. You can only use this effect of pickpocket of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

Rustler of the skull raiders

Earth

Atk 1600

Def 500

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card is banished from the field, you can add one card from your opponent's monster card zone to your hand. You can only use this effect of rustler of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

A rustler is a thief who steals farm animals. That was the most apt way for me to describe a raider who steals monsters.

Medic of the skull raiders

Light

Atk 1300

Def 800

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card is banished from the field, you can gain life points equal to the number of your banished skull raider monsters X 500. You can only use this effect of medic of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

You know another way to piss people off? You stop them from building a field, and you heal off the damage they do inflict. I know this won't really help you win duels. But this deck is meant to be fun, not to win.

Mugger of the skull raiders

Dark

Atk 1800

Def 300

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card battles an opponents monster, you can banish both it and this card. If you do, steal 1000 life points from your opponent. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

I know stealing is not part of proper card grammar. However, it's easy to understand, and I've seen a lot worse grammar before. "Your opponent loses 1000 life points, then gain life points equal to the amount lost by your opponent" Lacks elegance. If there's a way to express this in, say 5 or so words, and complies with proper grammar, I'd be glad to change it.

Cat burglar of the skull raiders

Wind

Atk 1000

Def 1000

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card attacks, steal 500 life points from your opponent. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

I'm making this as a concept deck, and I'm going to make a card for every kind of robber I can think of. Not all of them will be good. This is a good example of such a card.

Bogus caller of the skull raiders

Fire

Atk 300

Def 100

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If this card is banished from the field, reveal all face down spell or trap cards your opponent controls. You select the targets for any of the cards that require targeting. Then, your opponent must activate the effects of all spell or trap cards that have met their activation conditions. You can only use this effect of bogus caller of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

Fun card to play. Useless under most conditions, but imagine flipping a twin twisters. Your opponent gives up twin twisters, discards, and has 2 backrow blown up. It's fun to play. I just might like this card more than graverobber.

Brigand of the skull raiders

Atk 1600

Def 200

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If a monster(s) is special summoned to your opponent's side of the field while you have no card in your extra deck, banish this card from your hand or field, add that monster(s) to your hand. You can only use this effect of rustler of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

Not sure, but this might be a bit overpowered. Not for what it does for this deck, but what it might do in other decks. That's why I added the extra deck condition, which is fundamentally only for the spells and traps of the deck.

Highwayman of the skull raiders.

Atk 1400

Def 200

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. Every time your opponent normal summons, special summons, sets, activates cards from his/her hand, or activates the effects of cards on his/her side of the field or graveyard. while this card is on your side of the field, steal 200 life points from your opponent. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

200 is tiny, but it adds up over time. It's not all that powerful though, as chain energy (A card that has a similar effect, but deals 500 damage) is never used by anybody, ever. And again, 200 is tiny, so I buffed the effect further, with an extra "activates the effects of cards on his/her side of the field or graveyard." that wasn't present on chain energy.

Spell cards.

Subdūcere

If you have no cards in your extra deck, banish 3 skull raider cards from your deck; Add one skull raider card from your deck to your hand.

The great bank robbery!

You can activate this card if you have no cards in your extra deck. Until the end phase of your opponent's next turn, neither player can banish cards. Shuffle 3 banished skull raider cards with different names into your deck, then add one card each from opponent's graveyard, your opponent's field, your opponent's hand, and the top of your opponent's deck to your hand.

It's a plus 4, but they're all your opponent's cards, and this card shuts down your deck for an entire turn. It's a great robbery, but it does come at a cost. The motif here being that 3 of your robbers actually died while robbing the bank, and now nobody can return to the secret base, else it's location will be revealed, so the rest of the robbers, the ones who weren't able to return in time, are forsaken, and left out on the field to fend for themselves.

Dispatch

If you have no cards in the extra deck, you can add two of your banished skull raiders cards to your hand. If you do, you can normal summon an extra time this turn.

Toll booth

If you have no cards in your extra deck, while this card is in your graveyard, every time your opponent normal summons, special summons, sets, activates cards from his/her hand, or activates the effects of cards on his/her side of the field or graveyard, steal 200 life points from your opponent. If you have no cards in your extra deck, while this card is in your graveyard, every time a skull raider card is banished, steal 500 life points from your opponent.

Does nothing on your hand or field, and slow burns in your graveyard. Chain burn decks would actually like this card more than skull raider builds...

Trap cards

Unlike most decks, I just felt like this deck likes trap cards more than spells, and most are continuous. Since I've put extra deck restrictions on them, and them being traps, I can make them as strong as I wish, muahahaha

This card cannot be special summoned, except by the effect of a skull raider card. If a monster(s) is special summoned to your opponent's side of the field while you have no card in your extra deck, banish this card from your hand or field, add that monster(s) to your hand. You can only use this effect of rustler of the skull raiders once per turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish this card. (This is a quick effect). During the end phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can target one of your banished skull raiders, special summon it. You cannot target a skull raider that was banished this turn.

Archived