Archaevil: Ancient Evils Unawoken [AGM, Written, Legacy]

ChampionZero

Yeah, I'm back. WHAT?! Alright here's Archaevil. Took forever, but you could build a deck with these, provided you have a lot of DARK Fiends to support them. Constructive criticism, card text suggestions, and comments are all welcome and encouraged!

[spoiler=HEEEEEERE WE GO!]Archaevil (pronounced Arc-Evil) is Earthbound Immortals, 2.0! These guys are Level 8 DARK Fiend-type Effect Monsters that are summoned from the Hand, Deck, or Graveyard with their corresponding Continuous Spell, an Archaevil Scripture, in a style not unlike Raigeki Bottle, gaining counters every time you summon a DARK or Fiend monster (gaining two if your monster is both). Instead of massive beasts of power, they're famous, malicious beings from mythology with modern twists! Loki playing a sinister organ. Kronos with a bladed motorcycle instead of a scythe. Satan himself dual-wielding flamethrowers. Etc. They have wonderful effects with costs as simple as discarding cards, and while you can only control three, if you're REALLY good, you can make those three last you all the way to victory, regardless of whose victory it is!

Archaevil Monsters!

Archaevil Virtuoso
Level 8 ~ DARK ~ Fiend/Effect
Cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell. Once per turn: You can change this monster’s battle position; destroy a number of monsters your opponent controls, equal to the number of “Archaevil” monsters you control, then inflict 800 damage to your opponent for each monster destroyed by this effect. You can only control 3 “Archaevil” monsters.
3000/3000

Archaevil Rider
Cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell. When this monster is Special Summoned; destroy all Spell/Trap cards your opponent controls. You can only control 3 “Archaevil” monsters.
3000/3000

Archaevil Terrorist
Cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell. Once per turn: You can discard two cards; inflict 2000 points of damage to your opponent. If the discarded cards were the same type (Spell, Trap, or Monster): Special Summon 1 DARK Fiend Monster from the grave. You can only control 3 “Archaevil” monsters.
3000/3000

Archaevil Obliterator
Cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell. Once per turn: You can decrease this monster’s ATK and DEF by up to 3000 (min. 100) until your next Standby Phase; Destroy all face-up monsters with ATK or DEF equal or lower than the amount of ATK and DEF this monster lost. You can only declare one attack the turn you activate this effect. You can only control 3 “Archaevil” monsters.
3000/3000

Archaevil Stalker
Cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell. Once per turn: you can add 1 Evil Counter to all "Archaevil Scripture" cards you control. You can only control 3 “Archaevil” monsters.
3000/3000

Archaevil Brute
Cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell. Cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can Tribute a Level 4 or lower DARK or Fiend monster; this monster can attack monsters your opponent controls a number of times equal to that monster’s level, but your opponent receives no battle damage this turn. You can only control 3 “Archaevil” monsters.
3000/3000

Archaevil Spells/Traps!

Double Negative
Normal Spell
Special Summon one Level 4 or below DARK Fiend Monster from your hand or Graveyard.

Archaevil Expedition
Normal Spell
Add one “Archaevil Scripture” card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.

Archaevil Scripture - Symphony of Nefarious Minds
Continuous Spell
Each time you Summon a DARK monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. Each time you Summon a Fiend Monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. You can send this card with 4 or more Evil Counters to the GY: Special Summon 1 "Archaevil Virtuoso" from your hand, Deck, or GY. While this card has at least 1 Evil Counter, "Archaevil" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Archaevil Scripture - Warrant for The Fallen
Continuous Spell
Each time you Summon a DARK monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. Each time you Summon a Fiend Monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. You can send this card with 4 or more Evil Counters to the GY: Special Summon 1 "Archaevil Terrorist" from your hand, Deck, or GY. While this card has at least 1 Evil Counter, you take no effect damage.

Archaevil Scripture - Threats of The Broken
Continuous Spell
Each time you Summon a DARK monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. Each time you Summon a Fiend Monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. You can send this card with 4 or more Evil Counters to the GY: Special Summon 1 "Archaevil Rider" from your hand, Deck, or GY. While this card has at least 1 Evil Counter, Spell/Trap Cards you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

Archaevil Scripture - Records of Destruction
Continuous Spell
Each time you Summon a DARK monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. Each time you Summon a Fiend Monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. You can send this card with 4 or more Evil Counters to the GY: Special Summon 1 "Archaevil Obliterator" from your hand, Deck, or GY. While this card has at least 1 Evil Counter, you receive no battle damage from battles involving "Archaevil" Monsters you control.

Archaevil Scripture - Agenda of the Sinister
Continuous Spell
Each time you Summon a DARK monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. Each time you Summon a Fiend Monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. You can send this card with 4 or more Evil Counters to the GY: Special Summon 1 "Archaevil Stalker" from your hand, Deck, or GY. While this card has at least 1 Evil Counter, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the Summon of a DARK or Fiend Monster.

Archaevil Scripture - Scrolls of the Enraged
Continuous Spell
Each time you Summon a DARK monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. Each time you Summon a Fiend Monster, place 1 Evil Counter on this card. You can send this card with 4 or more Evil Counters to the GY: Special Summon 1 "Archaevil Brute" from your hand, Deck, or GY. While this card has at least 1 Evil Counter, "Archaevil" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle.

Blood Sacrifice
Continuous Trap
When a DARK or Fiend Monster you control battles: add 2 Evil Counters to an “Archaevil Scripture” Spell you control.

Edit 1: Fixed the summoning conditions of the Archaevil Monsters, scrapped Scribe, and adjusted the Evil Counter mechanics of Archaevil Scriptures.

Edit 2: Effect changes to all monsters. Scriptures gained secondary effects. Scrapped "Stronger With Age."

You said you gain two counters if your monster is both Fiend and Dark. But I don't see that represented in the card's effect... So I don't think it works like that if it's worded like this.

Archaevil Scribe

First. You can't Tribute Summon Archeavil monsters. (they state that they MUST be special summoned). Second. If they could be tribute summoned, this still wouldn't be good as it would have to be on the field for 2 turns to actually be a good tribute.

So all it is now is a Fiend/Dark normal summon with the Archaevil name. So I guess it does enable some plays...

Archaevil Virtuoso

With how hard these things are to get out it's effect is basicly. OPT pop 1 monster and deal 500 damage. Why not make it during either player's turn? or also pop Spell/Traps?

Archaevil Rider

I don't think field presence is the best thing this deck has, so the tribute cost isn't too great. And while a Spell/Trap wipe is good that Rank 10 that requires 3 material is easier to get out and doesn't have to tribute to activate its effect.

Archaevil Terrorist

You go minus 2 to deal 1000 damage? No, just no. I get it, gimmick effect Woop Woop. But it's just not good. It doens't further anything you are doing except maybe get out another Archaevil a little faster. But with a cost like that, I'd make it add 4 counters. Or get out a scribe from deck and add counters to it immediatly.

Archaevil Obliterator

Sooooooo. It's a worse "Raigeki". He should get his attack back at the end of the turn. Because right now he just kind of sits there with 1000 ATK because you had to pop a 2000 monster. (for which you could've just used Raigeki)

Archaevil Stalker

It's a 3k body with no support that does nothing. Pass.

Archaevil Brute

This one is good. I'd give it an extra boon personally. But it's by far the best Archaevil at this point. (I'd give it piercing damage or protection or something. But eh. It's fine as it is)

Double Negative

It is indeed double negative. You go minus one. And can only get out a level 4 or lower.

Archaevil Expidition

Again. Minus one. A meh search.

All the Scriptures.

Why do they not have effects to support these monsters? You have to have 4 counters. So that means 2-4 summons. And then you can get out 1 specific monster. So there really is no versatility with this one. That would be fine, if they had effects. But right now you're just shooting yourself in the foot here by having to run this clunky Spell/Monster combo.

Blood Sacrifice

No. Lots of no.

Stronger With Age

200 ATK! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? THIS IS CRAZY! I CAN TURN MY 3k BEATSTICK INTO A 3600 BEATSTICK! WOWOW!

Sorry just kidding. The effect is just really underwelming.

Overal. The deck is like a better way to ritual summon. Except the monsters suck. Right now they aren't really boss monsters, they're more like, side monsters. You run them in your fiend/Dark deck that is meant to spew out Xyz/Link monsters and then can ram these things on the board as well because they just work.

Tour Guide + A scroll is a Link/Rank 3+Archaevil for example. (at least if you change the effects so Tour Guide can actually put 2 counters on these things)

So you've basicly made BA support.

Wow, a little harsher than I was expecting, but not untrue. I clearly forgot to reformat some stuff. Also, I will note I have not been able to work on these for about six months, and what little skills I had have atrophied somewhat. I'm not entirely sure what makes a balanced effect anymore, and while your review does cover every card, it doesn't tell me a lot of how to solve the problems. Will be taking this information into account, with a lump of salt.

Thanks for your input!

Wow, a little harsher than I was expecting, but not untrue. I clearly forgot to reformat some stuff. Also, I will note I have not been able to work on these for about six months, and what little skills I had have atrophied somewhat. I'm not entirely sure what makes a balanced effect anymore, and while your review does cover every card, it doesn't tell me a lot of how to solve the problems. Will be taking this information into account, with a lump of salt.

Thanks for your input!

Sorry! Wasn't meant to be harsh. Just not that good at writing. I actually really like the idea of the cards. In fact, that's why I commented. If I didn't like the post I'd just ignore it. The execution could just be better IMO.

It's just that I feel like the effort of getting these monsters out is just is not worth it. That's the problem. I can't give advice that is more specific than that. Either make them easier to get out. (better low level monsters, searching that doesn't make you minus 1, scriptures that can access any "Archaevil" better specials from grave) or make them stronger (scriptures with activation effects, stronger effects on the "Archaevil" monsters, better Spell/Trap support)

If you want specifics. I'll give some tips because I don't have anything better to do anyway

Virtuoso

Small change maybe, but how about make it's popping not restricted to monsters? Or maybe just up the burn damage.

Rider

Maybe make it "pop 1 spell/trap you control; pop all spell/traps your opponent controls"? Or leave out the OPT and just make it pop all Spell/Traps on summon? You really need your other monsters to out all the monsters they have, so the tribute is quite hefty.

Terrorist

Ok. So if all it does on its own is burn, make that thing do 2k because right now you have to immagine Barbar requiring you to discard to burn. Maybe make it regain some advantage you lost by discarding? So maybe if it's two of the same type activate a scripture from deck and add 2 counters to it? Or special a Dark/Fiend from the grave? This way the effect is less of a minus.

Obliterator

It needs to get back its ATK and DEF. Idk when. Just, it needs it.

Stalker

Idk how to change it tbh... right now its effect is just "tribute a monster to do nothing". So... I have no idea how to change it...

Brute

See my original post

Double Negative

So. Either delete the cost. Or make it able to summon things with a higher level than 4.

Expidition

I'd just say, delete the cost all together.

the scriptures need something they do by themselves

Blood Sacrifice

Maybe make it a Continuous Spell?

• 1 month later...

Archived