Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Ashes to Ashes(Chapter 2 added!)

What do you think so far?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you think so far?

• Epic! I WANT too see more!
    • AWESOME!
    • good, i could see more being kinda succsesful
    • ... meh
    • I Hate It! STOP ALEADY!

this is my first Fan-Fic, i've been working on it a while(about 1 month or so) so let me know what you think...

[spoiler=Intro]

The year is 0072 of the Cosmic Era calendar. Following the near-devastating battles over the course of 0070, the Earth Alliance has reached a temporary peace agreement with the remainder of the ZAFT forces. However, some felt that this peace would not last. In doing so, a new faction was formed out of the ashes of ZAFT's defeat. The sparks of war would be re-ignited as a new series of attacks heralded the new year. Now, both sides would find themselves thrust into a new threshold where peace would come close to becoming a memory...

================

"Adjusting angle by .024 degrees. Entering trajectory coordinates. All navigation systems now on automatic."

On the bridge of the Archangel-class cruiser Resolution, Captain Hayes felt relaxed as the ship prepared to enter the PLANT, ready to be decommissioned after two years of service. For the last few months, they had been on patrol in search of any ZAFT remnants in the area, making sure that none of them escape and restarted the war that so many gave their lives to stop. It was to be the ship's final task before being shut down by the Earth Alliance.

Suddenly, several alarms go off all over the bridge, disturbing the quiet setting. Louise Simmons, who was working the navigational station, quickly checked over the readouts.

"Captain, there's two incoming ships, all with ZAFT signatures." she reported.

"Hail them." Hayes said, leaning forward in his command chair. Finally, something to break the boredom.

"They're blocking our transmissions, sir. Some sort of electromagnetic interference."

"Go to Battle Alert status." Hayes ordered, seeing the crew rush about their stations as they prepared for a possible battle. "Prepare the weapons. This is what I was afraid of."

----------------

In space, several GINN and GuAIZ mobile suits moved towards the Resolution and the PLANT, all ready for battle as their weapons were drawn and charged. Leading the charge was a mobile suit shrouded in black, nearly invisible against the blackness of space. The only thing that could be seen was the dark blue glow of it's eyes, the sound of it's engines pushing it closer and closer to it's targets.

The GINNs shifted into their fighter modes and charged towards the Resolution with the GuAIZ mobile suits, their beam weapons firing rapidly at the Alliance battleship. Though the Resolution fired back and managed to destroy one, it was simply no use. The entire time, the mysterious black mobile suit stood away from the battlefield, it's pilot contemplating his next move. He activated the beam saber stored on his arm, it's long blade a sharp contrast against it's black armor. The mobile suit moved in rapidly as the others moved away, it's beam saber slicing through the engines of the Resolution. Sparks and smoke flew from the shattered engines as it listed, the ship struggling to right itself. Satisfied, the unknown mobile suit pushed it's engines to full and moved away, the GINNs and GuAIZ mobile suits following it back to the ZAFT ships in the distance.

----------------

"Damage report!" Hayes shouted across the ruined remains of his bridge. Nearly the entire area was darkened, the consoles destroyed beyond repair or shut down to save power. Some of the crew were still conscious, the remainder rushed to the medical bays for burns or worse. A young man named Alexander, who replaced Louise after she was wounded by an exploding console, lifted himself to the half-functioning navigation console. He brushed the brown hair out of his eyes as he went over the damage, trying not to let the fear show in his voice. He had already stressed his nerves after destroying one of the GINNs at weapons control. This was not helping at all.

"Massive damage to Engine #2." Alexander called out. "We're listing towards the PLANT. I'll try to get us righted again, sir."

"All right, then." Hayes replied. "In the meantime, send a laser signal transmission to the PLANT. Tell them we were under attack by a ZAFT squadron and need assistance."

"Captain, the black mobile suit that attacked us wasn't in the ZAFT registry." Mariah Cortez, the young lady at the COM station, reported. "According to the database, it's registered as GAT-105X-R Reverse Strike."

"The prototype hijacked a few months ago from Earth?" Alexander commented. "Why would it be attacking us? I thought it was on our side."

"One thing you need to understand, Mr. Alexander, is that nothing is the same out here." Hayes said, leaning back into his command chair as his wounded ship waited for help outside the PLANT.

----------------

Aboard the ZAFT battlecruiser, the black mobile suit known as the Reverse Strike Gundam entered the hangar, it's black armor reflecting the lighting. Visually, it was the identical twin of the original Strike and Strike Rouge except for being completely black. Equipped on it's back was a permamently-mounted custom Aile pack, also black, with mounted two beam cannons. Gone were the recharge racks on it's hip armor, instead moved to the forearms for faster assaults. It's blue eyes went dark as it knelt down in the hangar, the hiss of the engines echoing inside the room as the doors closed. The pilot exited, his face hidden by the dark visor of his flight helmet. He took it off and ran his fingers through his brown hair, his dark blue eyes as cold and dead as the vacuum of space beyond the hangar.

"Mission complete." the boy said coldly as he put on a pair of black sunglasses and left the hangar, the nametag on his flight suit reading "Heero Shinigami".

[spoiler=Chapters]

[spoiler=Chapter 1]

Chapter 1

================

Cagalli Yula Attha stared at the photograph on her desk, lost in the memories it contained. Since the war's end, she retreated to what was left of the Orb Kingdom only to find it in ruins. With help from the Earth Alliance, it was slowly being rebuilt again. It seemed so lonely here now, so empty. With her father gone, she was now full ruler of the kingdom. Still, it was a position she never wanted. All she wanted was a normal life, now denied to her because of her birth.

The picture was of herself, Asuran Zala, and Kira some twelve days after the war's end. They seemed so happy then, reunited in their bonds of friendship. She and Asuran developed a relationship soon after, yet Kira was a changed young man. He seemed so sad for a while, so wrapped in his guilt over the deaths of so many during the war with ZAFT. Not even Lacus Clyne, with her kind sympathy, or his own parents could resolve his inner conflict.

Then he vanished.

A search was held for several months by everyone he had come to regard as loved ones, looking for any hint as to where he might have gone. Eventually, one by one they began to lose hope. He was just gone too long or didn't want to be found. Even Asuran began to accept that Kira was gone for good. Cagalli, on the other hand, refused to accept it. Her friend was out there somewhere. She HAD to find him.

The door to her chambers opened, revealing the familiar face of Asuran Zala. He had matured somewhat since the war's end, being one of the PLANT's ambassadors to Earth. He worked closely with both Lacus and Cagalli, trying to rebuild what his father sought so hard to destroy. He approached the desk and gently laid a hand on her own, startling Cagalli from her memories.

"Are you okay?" Asuran asked, seeing the worried and tired look on Cagalli's face.

"Yeah, I'm all right." Cagalli replied as she leaned over and kissed him gently. It was not passionate, like it had been shortly before their battle with Raww two years before, but was similar to the kisses Asuran had shared with Lacus. Something that was done out of courtesy instead of romance. Despite this, Asuran pressed onward with what he was there for.

"We've just gotten word from the PLANT." Asuran explained. "Lately, a fleet of ZAFT defectors have been attacking Earth Alliance ships in the area. They say that the fleet was using a black mobile suit, according to the reports from the Resolution. It fits the description of the Reverse Strike."

"The prototype stolen several months ago?"

"Yeah. Murrue and the Archangel are heading out there within a week or so to investigate." Asuran then noticed the picture on Cagalli's desk, which held her attention so much these past few weeks. Kira was his best friend, like a little brother to him at times. It hurt him to see him gone with no explanation, without a trace or even to say goodbye. It also made him angry after seeing what it was putting Cagalli and Lacus through.

"You still miss him, don't you?"

"I know he's still out there, Asuran." Cagalli told him, her golden eyes not removed from the photo. "I can't give up on him. Kira's all I have left from my family. If I lose him like I lost Father... I can't give up. I owe him too much."

"I know it's hard to accept, Cagalli," Asuran said as he clasped her hand in his own, "but the truth is that Kira may not want to be found. We've looked for almost two years now and still nothing."

"How can you say that, Asuran?" Cagalli said, sounding disturbed that Kira's friend would give up so fast. "He's your best friend and my family. I owe him my life a hundred times over and so do you. How could you just write him off?"

"I'm sorry." Asuran told her, seeing how upset she was becoming. "I didn't mean to make you upset." He then checked the clock on the desk and saw that it was time for him to leave. "Listen, I need to head back to the PLANT to oversee some peace agreements. Are you sure you're all right?"

"I'm not a baby, Asuran. I'll be fine." Cagalli heard the door open and close as she laid her head onto her desk, tears starting to form in her eyes as she realized that her lover may be right. Kira may not want to be found, not by anyone. This firmly in her mind, she finally released some of the tears as she silently sobbed, her heart in bitter sorrow over her brother's loss.

----------------

He stared at her from just outside the window, his own heart hurting from seeing her in so much pain and anguish. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her or anyone else, yet something kept drawing him here to this one place. He didn't visit his parents or Lacus. He didn't want his presence known to the reminders of his former life. Yet he kept coming here, to another reminder. She wasn't like the other ones, that he was confident about. But why? Why was this young woman so important to him? Could it be that he... As if the thought was a disease in his mind, he jumped out of the tree that served as his perch and raced away, confusion and mixed feelings overriding his duty to the mission.

----------------

Yzak growled to himself as he exited the Duel Gundam mobile suit, fuming over the results from his latest simulation tests. For the last several months, he had been in heavy training to increase his skills in battle at the Alliance base in California. After the war, he had considered joining the new ZAFT military but declined. Part of him felt that it wasn't where he could be any longer. He claimed there "wasn't much of a challenge" in their ranks. As part of the Earth Alliance, he thought it would be best to be at his absolute best in the battlefield. His defeat of both the Raider and Forbidden mobile suits in the war proved to him that he could do it. Accomplishing it was another matter.

Exiting the refurbished Buster Gundam mobile suit was Dearka, his teammate in both ZAFT and the Earth Alliance. Unlike Yzak, he was already confident in his abilities. Despite that, he wanted to go through the simulations as well with his partner and friend. Since the war, Dearka thought his own skills needed improvement since he was nearly killed by Raww's Providence Gundam. Still, he handled his situation much better than Yzak did his own.

"Well, it wasn't that bad this time." Dearka said, trying to look on the bright side. "We did managed to disable all the mobile suits."

"Nearly at the cost of our own." Yzak retorted. "I won't accept anything less than victory on the battlefield. We have to keep our own casualties at a minimum."

"You both did great." The conversation was interrupted by the voice of Miriallia, from the control room above the hangar. "You should be proud that you accomplished as much as you have." She had matured over the last year as well, understanding the tragedies of warfare more than most young women her age. With most of the Archangel's crew reassigned, she offered to help Yzak and Dearka at the base as COM officer.

"Well, you two can consider this a game if you want." Yzak said with a smirk. "I'm going to keep training." With that, he climbed back up to the cockpit of the Duel Gundam and prepared to restart the simulation. Suddenly, several alarms went off outside the hangar, the klaxons turning the area dark with eerie red light.

"Attention! Attention!" the alert sounded throughout the base. "The base is under attack! Repeat, the base is under attack!"

"Looks like we'll have to call it quits on the simulation." Dearka said as he climbed back up to the Buster Gundam's cockpit. Yzak smirked to himself as he called up the start-up sequence.

'Finally, an end to this boredom.' he thought to himself as he moved the Duel Gundam to the launch catapult, the Buster Gundam moving behind him. 'I can truly put my skills to the test now.'

"Be careful, both of you." Miriallia said over the intercom.

"We'll be fine." Dearka replied. "Hopefully it's not that severe."

"Duel, launching!" Yzak called out as the catapult thrust him out of the base, his engines igniting as he moved away. The Buster Gundam was behind him a few seconds later, serving as wingman like in the simulations. Both mobile suits have been refitted with new thrusters, letting them fly on their own without mobile sleds to help them. Other than that, the mechas were the same as they always have been.

"Where is it?" Dearka muttered to himself. "We couldn't have been called out here for nothing."

"Pay attention." Yzak warned. "We can't let our guard down, even if it looks safe. People get killed on the battlefield that way." Suddenly, his sensors flashed. "I'm getting something up ahead. Stay alert." He double-checked his weapons, just in case they were forced into a fight. The two mobile suits came across a flaming pile of wreckage, at one time a listening station for the base. With most of the other pilots away on assignment, Dearka and Yzak were the only ones left to defend it.

"What on Earth did this to a listening post?" Dearka exclaimed. Suddenly, both Duel and Buster's alarms flashed red, signaling an incoming attack.

"Look out!" Yzak shouted as he shoved Dearka out of the way, barely missing being destroyed by a blast of energy. It belonged to the Reverse Strike Gundam, it's beam cannons poised and ready to fire as it approached them.

"It looks like the Strike Gundam with a whole new paintjob." Dearka said, getting his gattling guns charged and beam saber ready.

"This must be the one that almost destroyed the Resolution a few days ago." Yzak mused as he also drew his beam saber. "Split up!" The two mechas dodged the incoming fire from the beam cannons as they went into two directions. Yzak yelled as he charged for the enemy mobile suit, his beam saber ready to slice into the black armor. The Reverse Strike saw it and raised it's own beam saber to block it. Dearka saw that as his opening and armed his gattling guns.

"You're not going anywhere!" Dearka declared as he opened fire, hitting the Aile thrusters on it's back. The Reverse Strike turned and fired it's cannons again, this time hitting the Buster's shoulder. Increasing the thrusters, it sliced into Dearka's damaged arm, sending the mobile suit heading towards the ground.

"You coward!" Yzak declared as he launched a volley of missiles, managing to hit the Reverse Strike as it slowly listed toward the ground. It landed on it's feet and waited, seeing Duel charge towards it. It held the beam saber like a baseball bat, lowering it's beam cannons for the moment, and swiped at the mobile suit, damaging it's V-shaped antenna and nearly decapitating it.

"Dammit!" Yzak cursed as he managed to land onto the sandy ground, his guidance system damaged. "This guy fight almost as well as Kira Yamato did."

"Listen carefully, you two." a voice, sounding eerily familiar to both him and Dearka, said over the COM radio. "I'm only going to say this once. You don't understand what I'm trying to do so stay out of my way." With that, the Reverse Strike ignited it's thrusters and flew off, leaving the two damaged mobile suits in it's wake.

"That voice... it can't be..." Yzak said to himself as he slowly moved Duel to his feet.

"Yzak, did you hear what I just heard?" Dearka's voice said over the COM. "It sounded like Kira just now."

"If that was Yamato, then he has some explaining to do." Yzak fingered his scar as he gritted his teeth in anger, furious that he was beaten again by the same person who gave him his scar. 'I will pay him back for this. I swear...'

[spoiler=Chapter 2]

Chapter 2

================

Heero was emotionless as he moved the Reverse Strike through the sky, musing to himself over the mission. He had been instructed to destroy the listening posts in California, to also disable anyone who stepped in his way. He knew that it would be Yzak and Dearka yet he also dreaded it. He had gotten to know the two a few months before their transfer from the Archangel with Miriallia. Yzak was a strong pilot with a stubborn battle spirit while Dearka was more relaxed but still excellent. Yet now he felt nothing towards them, only an emptiness that was common now with his missions.

It began after the New Year arrived, when he was still a Coordinator named Kira Yamato. He had thought deeply over what Raww had shown Mwu La Fraga and himself that fateful day, the day that his entire concept of who he was changed forever. His parents were not his own. Cagalli believed that he was her brother. His entire existence was because of a genetic experiment. The stress only added to his depression from the deaths he caused, the lives he stole as a mobile suit pilot. No one, not Lacus nor his so-called parents could give him reason not to end his life, to terminate the experiment that was his existence.

Instead, he ran away.

He traveled from PLANT to PLANT, hoping to leave the remains of his lie-filled life behind and start again. Yet he couldn't escape, no matter how hard he tried. Kira's dreams were haunted by the ghosts of his past, of the memories of his friends that knew nothing about the truth. Even Frey Alster, in her death, plagued his overtaxed soul to the breaking point.

He found his way to the ranks of GHOST, a secret organization created in ZAFT's defeat. They refused to accept the newly-established peace and declared those that had to be traitors. Kira had met their leader, an older man named Murdock, and began training with them under the name of Heero Shinigami over the recent year. Gone were his ties to the Earth Alliance, to the life and people he abandoned.

Or so he thought.

He eventually was selected to pilot the GAT-105X-R Reverse Strike Gundam, the newest prototype made by the Earth Alliance several months ago. It was based heavily on his old Strike but had several differences, such as weapons. It was equipped with something called a "Psycho system", allowing the pilot's mind and the mobile suit's CPU to interact. It was supposed to help him act faster in battle by focusing the mind on what drove it most to succeed. No one saw what the side effects would be for Kira, one of the strongest Coordinators in existence. After all, the successes would far outweigh the consequences, they would feel.

Kira began using the new system in test simulations and would be plagued with vivid dreams afterwards, memories of the life he once held. Strangely they would only revolve around Cagalli, the last person he wanted to think about even before his self-imposed exile. She was one of the few, other than Asuran and Lacus, that he held close to his heart in high regard. Kira stayed out of her way in the last days of the war, giving them both space to sort out their lives and what they were to each other. Now, he began to have dreams about her that only confused him more.

He would fight the thoughts, to tell himself that this was meaningless to his new life, that it was better to stay away from her and everyone else. Yet his mind and heart refused to listen. Eventually, when Kira looked over the old records from the genetics lab that Raww showed himself and Mwu, he finally learned the truth.

He was not Cagalli's brother after all.

In truth, the other infant in the picture Uzumi gave to Cagalli was her brother but was not Kira. Dr. Hibiki had used the infant's DNA in his artificial womb, fusing it with the DNA of several other potential Coordinators in his experiment. The infant itself died much later but Kira was the end result.

As Kira mused over this, he felt as if a weight was lifted from his shoulders. The truth was hidden from him and Cagalli both for so long, in vain hopes that they would not meet. He had tried harder to stay away in the past few months, hoping that his blond-haired friend would forget him and move on with her life. Kira would find himself watching her secretly, seeing the pain she was in because he was gone. He wanted so badly to end it, to reveal himself to her and his other friends.

But his mission came first.

He had learned that GHOST planned to finish what ZAFT had tried, to eventually destroy all Naturals so that only Coordinators would exist through several systematic attacks on Earth and the PLANTS. Their twisted version of peace meant the deaths of more innocents, deaths that Kira no longer wanted on his already blood-stained hands. Yet the Reverse Strike's "Psycho system" forced him to comply with their wishes, to carry out their missions by manipulating his SEED modes. For now, he had control over himself and set coordinates for the Orb Kingdom. To see, at least for one last time, the only shred of his humanity left before the Psycho system reassumed dominance.

----------------

Asuran stopped his car in front of the mansion's gates, musing over the last time he was here nearly a year ago. It felt like an eternity, after all that had passed since that time. Now he was here for another reason, to help establish the peace that his father, Patrick, tried so hard to corrupt. He was such a different person then, fighting on a side that he didn't truly belong with. Fighting against his friend, Kira.

The memories were painful to Asuran, of the times when he and Kira would clash on the battlefield with their mobile suits. Both so determined in their resolves yet unwilling to destroy each other. They were once closer than brothers would be. Now he was gone, leaving him and their other friends alone without any hint.

As he stepped out of the vehicle, he was assaulted by the familiar sight of several multi-colored Haro robots, all chattering their greetings to him. There was no doubt that he was at the right place. He smiled slightly as he walked up the pathway, where Lacus was sitting with her infamous pink Haro in her hands.

Lacus had changed after the war, becoming more dedicated to establishing peace and ending the fighting. She worked hard, with Asuran's help, to quell any insecurities for both the remaining ZAFT forces and the Earth Alliance. Yet the stress refused to show itself on her gentle face, not even the stress of Kira's abandonment marred her.

She had grown to love him, the two reaching an understanding with each other of all that had gone on. They had started living together in the PLANT, getting to know each other much more than they had the last time Kira was there. Yet in the war's aftermath, he started to drift away from her. He would become so withdrawn, reluctant to speak to anyone for several days. The guilt from the blood on his hands tormented him, that much Lacus could see. She wanted him to let go, to put the devastation he saw in those months behind him. But nothing helped his wounded spirit. Then came the day he disappeared.

Lacus noticed Asuran arriving and arose from the porch, her Haro still in her hands. Though their arranged marriage was gone for some time, they maintained a friendship and worked together often. She could see a worried look in his eyes and she knew why.

"How is she, Asuran?" Lacus asked.

"Better, but I'm still worried." Asuran replied as they moved back to the porch. The two of them sat down and looked toward the horizon, where the sun was "setting" in the distance. "It's been nearly two years now and I don't know what else to do. Cagalli is refusing to give up, though. I mean, what would possess Kira to leave us all like this?"

"I asked myself that same question the day he left." Lacus told him, setting the pink Haro down so it would rejoin the others. "I would look into his eyes and see so much pain, all the people he had to kill driving him away from everyone. He always had such a kind spirit. To see it darkened like that..." Lacus felt tears beginning to well in her eyes, the sadness she felt finally beginning to reveal itself. Asuran was filled with a multitude of emotions, one of them being anger towards Kira and another sorrow for Cagalli and Lacus. After all they had gone through, none of them deserved this. He held Lacus by her bare shoulders, a determination in his green eyes.

"I promised to find him two years ago, Lacus. I'll do what I can to keep it." Seeing her smile somewhat, the anger began to cool in Asuran's heart. "We should get going. The negotiations will start soon."

"All right."

----------------

Cagalli lay awake for the tenth sleepless night in a row, unable to find that peace of mind that would let one sleep at night. This was more common in the last few weeks since her dreams started. She would always be drifting in space, alone and without her Strike Rouge. She would hear Kira's voice somewhere in the distance, crying for help. She would see his body as she tried to float to him, reaching for him with tears in her golden eyes. But she would never reach him. He would always be beyond her reach.

She was startled by the sound of the wind outside her window, rustling the leaves on the nearby tree. Cagalli rose from the bed to close the window when she heard something in the room, like something hitting the floor heavily. Immediately she opened her dresser and pulled out a gun, checking to make sure the catridge was inside. Fortunately, she has had few attempts on her life since becoming ruler of the Orb Kingdom. Still, it was a familiar presence to her ever since she was once part of the guerilla fighters.

Cagalli turned around and was shocked by the last thing she expected to see. Standing in front of her was none other than Heero Shinigami, once know as Kira Yamato. His eyes were hidden by black sunglasses, an emotionless look on his once kind face.

"I wouldn't shoot if I were you." Heero told her, his voice remaining strangely calm as he spoke. "I can't let anyone know I'm here yet." He was greeted with a hard slap across his face.

"Where the hell have you been, Kira?" Cagalli said angrily to the young man, feeling both relief and confusion at the moment. "Everyone's been searching for you for almost two years. We all thought you were dead by now. Do you know what you put all of us through?"

"I know... and I'm sorry." He remained motionless as tears came to Cagalli's eyes, relieved that he was alive and safe. She wrapped her arms around him but was surprised at what she felt. Gone was the warmth and friendship that Kira usually radiated, the kindness that she respected as his source of strength. It was replaced with a colder, darker feeling of loss and loneliness. She released him and looked into his expressionless face in shock.

"Kira... what's happened to you?" She saw his eyes as he removed his sunglasses, his once kind blue eyes filled with a cold depth that should never have existed.

"I'm not the Kira Yamato you know anymore, Cagalli." Heero said as he blankly stared into her golden eyes. "My name is Heero Shinigami now."

Cagalli looked into his cold blue eyes, seeing none of the empathy that once existed. Instead, there was nothing but an empty gaze. "You can't be serious. What... how did this happen?"

"During the war with ZAFT, I saw and caused countless deaths as a pilot. Innocents, some of them with families, all of their blood was on my hands. For a time, I thought I could put that behind me once the war ended. Then the dreams started. I could still hear the screams of everyone I killed with the Strike and Freedom Gundams." Heero paused, as if the grief he felt began coming to the surface. He fought it down, struggling to bind that feeling from him. "I was almost driven insane from those dreams. I just... I just wanted the pain to stop, to escape that nightmare. But they just wouldn't stop..." For the first time in the last two years, he felt the floodgates beginning to crack open, threatening to overwhelm him. Cagalli moved closer and wrapped her arms around him, trying her best to ease his torture.

"Shhh." she reassured him as she felt him struggling against the mixed feelings. "Don't hold this inside anymore, Kira. You have to tell someone. That's what we're here for." She released him and looked into his eyes, still blank but beginning to show faint signs of life again. "I'm your sister. You're supposed to talk to me about these things."

"That's another reason I had to leave." Heero gently eased away from her. "I can't put you and everyone else in danger by pretending I'm something I'm not."

"What do you mean?"

"...I'm not your brother, Cagalli." As the words were spoken, Heero could see that Cagalli thought he wasn't serious. The look on his face said otherwise.

"...No...no, it's not true." Cagalli said, shaking her head in denial at the statement. "You have to be."

"I'm sorry. But as far as we're concerned, I'm just another guy."

"No! I won't accept that!" She went to her dresser, pulling out the picture Uzumi gave to her that showed Kira and herself as infants. "Look at this picture! This is us and our mother, Kira! How can you say that this isn't real when I'm holding the evidence?!?"

"Listen to me!" Heero calmly said as he took her by the shoulders, holding her until she calmed down. He knew that this would be hard to understand for both of them but it needed to be said. "I know you're upset right now. Believe me, it was hard for me too. But I ran some checks and found information on those experiments, documents and computer records from the genetics lab where it took place. Dr. Hibiki, the one who began the experiments, took one of the babies and used it's DNA as a template, combining it with different DNA strands. The infant died but the end result was me, the end product of his work."

Cagalli remained silent as she and Heero sat down at a nearby table, digesting everything that was just said. "I-I don't understand this. Why would my father and your parents lie to us? Why would they make us think we were siblings when we weren't? It doesn't make sense."

"They didn't know. The experiments were done without their knowledge."

"Kira... I... I don't know what I'm supposed to feel right now." Tears of remorse began to develop, clouding Cagalli's vision. "This is just too confusing for me. I... I don't know what I'm supposed to do." She let the tears fall from her eyes as she cried, feeling betrayed and heartbroken for what she thought for so long. Heero moved his arms around her, letting the blond-haired girl sob. He wanted to help her, knowing how confused he was at one time after finding this out. For the first time in a long time, he felt somewhat at peace.

Cagalli suddenly felt Heero pull away, his face contorted in pain as he backed away from her. His breathing was labored, his eyes shut as he fought for control over himself against the Psycho system. Against himself.

"Kira, what's wrong?" she asked.

"It's calling me... I can't... I can't stay. I have to go." He suddenly turned and jumped out of the window, as if he was frightened. Cagalli raced to the window with tears still in her eyes, scared she would lose him again.

"Kira, wait!" Cagalli called. "You can't leave me again! Kira!!!" But it was too late. He was gone, faded into the shadows. She dropped to her knees and cried once more, filled with sorrow over losing Kira again, just when she needed him most. The hot tears streamed down her face as she heard the sound of an engine in the distance, like the type used for mobile suits. She rose and looked out the window, seeing the faint outline of a mobile suit rising into the midnight sky.

Archived