-●Newbies Starter Pack●-

LiAM

[align=center]If you have any extra info to put into this, PM or post it ;)

Technical terms:

●OCG = Official Card Grammar, - what you would find written on a real card

●TCG = Trading Card Game - game of yugioh :P

●UP = Underpowered - too weak (effect)

●OP = Overpowered - too powerful (effect)

●Broken = Cards effect is not correct or can be abused in many ways (made stronger than it already is).

●Tut = tutorial, a thread with a guide to do somehting, like this one

●Sig = your signature, something that is automatically psoted after your post.

●BUMP = making your thread go to the top of list, making it more likely to be veiwed, (only once every 24 hours)

●Necro bump = bumping an old thread (usually weeks/ months old), this is against the rules.

●NEG = a negative reputation point, often talked about as a bad thing.

●YCM = obvious, but, yugiohcardmaker

-extras-

Basic OCG:

●field,

●Deck,

●hand,

●Graveyard,

●remove from play...,

●monster,

●Spell/ Trap Card,

●destroyed as a result of battle = destroyed by battle,

●deal = inflict

●gain = increase

●Attack/ Defence = ATK/ DEF.

●Attack/ Defence mode = Attack/ Defence Position

●Fusion deck = Extra Deck

-extras-

Card advice-Find a suitable picture that will correspond with the cards: name, effect and possibly ATK and DEF.

●Make sure the image has a background

●NEVER make Normal monsters.

●Balance out the ATK and DEF equally to match the effect.

●give creative name, example: The warrior = The Noble Warrior of Nessilia.

●Make sure the effet is more than 1 line long, people dont usually like 1 sentence effects.

●Try making complex effects that involve: counters, tokens, timed turns, skipping phases etc, instead of increase ATK or inflict 300 damage.

-extra-[/align]

[spoiler=[b]little step by step tut for making cards[/b];)]

This is how I make my cards:

[spoiler=[b]Finding the image[/b]]

I firstly find a good image

You can find suitable images on sites such as these...

http://wall.alphacoders.com/index.php?s=Fantasy&su=Warrior

http://www.wizards.com/magic/

http://www.thinktankstudios.com/creatures.html

If you use a site such as these, credit them after your card.

For example, I will choose the image;

[spoiler=This one]

http://www.thinktankstudios.com/images/creatures/Finished/Stalkveng.jpg

Stalkveng.jpg

Instead of saving it and uploading via a site, just right click the image, at the bottom of the menu that just appeared, it should say 'properties'.

[spoiler=Like this:]

19114748rg6.png

Then another smaller window will pop-up (i think you would know this). In the menu there will be a 'Address URL', copy and paste that into the YCMaker Image box.

[spoiler=This]

This is an example of the card after pasting the image URL in.

131963ql9.jpg

And that's how to get your image onto the card, now in the next subject, it will be about filling out the 'Background Information'.

[spoiler=[b]Background Information[/b]]

This category is about the name, type, attribute and idea for final effect.

Finding a good name;

Look at the picture of the card and try pointing out noticeable features, in the one I have chosen, you can see it is in a graveyard, on a foreign alien planet and it is quite big, so this monster is a high level alien giant.

But for names, you can either make something like;

-The Frightening Beast

OR

-Skalashak, the Terrifying Beast

However I will choose the name Ladon, which is a greek mythological beast, and put some big scary words on the end

For its Attribute, look at the colours, elemental hints, or overall image. this is obviously a DARK monster.

Type can be harder, look for wings, swords, fins, fangs, fire, all these can be hints towards types, this card is a mix between a Fiend and beast, but fiends are scarier and more evil, like this image.

It will look like this with most of it filled in.

131963tg9.jpg

[spoiler=[b]Effect[/b]]

The effect should be based on image and name, try to match the name to the image, and effect to image and name.

For example, because of the Graveyard nearby, this would have some reviving effects.

Rough OCG plan:

-Special summon from graveyard with 2000 ATK or less

-because of which must skip battle

-and lose 500 ATK

OCG fixed up:

Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, you can Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard with 2000 ATK or less, if you do this, skip your next Battle Phase and decrease this cards ATK by 500.

That's the effect pretty much sorted out :)

If you need help with some OCG terms, go here:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-51154.html

Now, putting all that into the card,

131963ak7.jpg

[spoiler=[b]Lastly, ATK and DEF[/b]]

Pretty simple this one, make sure its of a worthy balance and is looking appropriate for the card, don't OP or UP. A list of average ATK and DEF stats.

1 : 300

2 : 600

3 : 1400

4 : 1800

5-6 : 2300

7-8 : 2800

9 : 3000

10+ : 4000

*there are exceptions to monster with higher ATK and DEF, but these often require huge tributes or costs, like 'Wicked Dreadroot'

[spoiler=This:]

JUMP-EN018.jpg

The highest original ATK i have seen on a card is 4000.

remember if a card has a certain Effect or has a Stat that is considerably high, lower the other drastically, eg:

ATK: 0 DEF:2200

ATK:1900 DEF: 0

ATK: 3000 DEF: 100

This card, because it loses 500 ATK, should have a considerably high original ATK, but not too high to still give it an advantage, lets say 2800. Its DEF should be a lot lower because of the effect and its mainly an attacking monster. so about 300.

131963lj2.jpg

Viola, a finished card, it's not that good, because i just made a rough one, but it is just part of this card making concept scheme.

:P have fun whether you use this or not.

[spoiler=[b]The card with HOLO and GOLD sticker[/b].]

This is the card as I would post it, after editing

ladonvt5.png

For advice on how to post your card without being NEGGED or asked to do stuff, go here:

(its a thread with this card in)

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-99212.html

:P Good luck.

good work!

maybe you should also give a link to the rules

you should also tell sometimes monsters that are harder to summon have high ATK points,1 example is Dragon Master Knight and FHD having 5000 ATK for a 12 star monster that can only be fusion summoned and Master of Oz having 4200 for a 9 star fusion monster

and most monsters with no effects have a high stat for the level they are in,examples:

Volcanic Rat being the strongest level 1 with 500 ATK

Atlantean Pikeman ties with magna at 1400 ATK

Jerry Beans Man with 1750 ATK at level 3

Gene-Warped Warwolf being tied with Skull COnductor(OCG only so far) at 2000 ATK for level 4 monsters with no negative effect

Frostsaurus at 2600 ATK and level 6 without a restrictive summoning condition and negative effect

Card advice-Find a suitable picture that will correspond with the cards: name' date=' effect and possibly ATK and DEF.

●Make sure the image has a background

[b']●NEVER make Normal monsters.[/b]

●Balance out the ATK and DEF equally to match the effect.

●give creative name, example: The warrior = The Noble Warrior of Nessilia.

●Make sure the effet is more than 1 line long, people dont usually like 1 sentence effects.

●Try making complex effects that involve: counters, tokens, timed turns, skipping phases etc, instead of increase ATK or inflict 300 damage.

-extra-

I got some issues with the bolded ones.....I mean yeah of course....the card has to be original and different and have an effect....But a good card is not the one that is totally originality and Zero playability....I didn't see that menitoned...also the complexy of the card should stay in medium terms to mantain that playabilty and balance.

let's say I got this card

Name: Yllikstaker, the Twisted Minded Sorcerer

Stats: Level 4/ATK 1900/DEF 0/ Spellcaster

Effect: This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing 3 Tokens and 3 Spell Counters on the field. When this card is Special Summoned. Place 1 "Armageddon Counters" on this card for each Token removed in order to Special Summon this card. Remove 3 "Armageddon Counters" to Special Summon up to 3 "Chaos Core" Tokens (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). Tribute 1 "Chaos Core" Token, draw a card.

Then I have this one.

Name: Power Stone's Magician

Stats: Level 2/ATK 900/DEF 0/ Spellcaster - Tuner

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned you can place up to 3 Spell Counters on a card on the field that can have Spell Counters on it.

Well second one is not the most original or complex effect but I found it more usefull and playable than the first one.....and both card are balanced I guess.

It's not so much to never make Vanillas' date=' it's more that if you do, also build some support cards for them.

[/quote']

and that too.

[align=center]

The highest original ATK i have seen on a card is 4000

You have obvioulsy never seen;

-Master of Oz (4200 ATK)

-Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem (4400 ATK)

-Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon (4500 ATK)

-Rainbow Neos (4500 ATK)

-5 Headed Dragon (5000 ATK)

-Master Dragon Knight (5000 ATK)

I think that's the list of cards that have over 4000 ATK :?

Other than that brilliant tut!

[/align]

Archived