\|/Desa Mini-Set\|/ Darth's latest 7-card set

Parting Shot

[align=center]Finally finished getting images and perfecting the effects for a small set of cards I've been working on lately. They aren't related to anything else, just an all-inclusive mini-set. I rather like them ^_^

~||~

DesaProtectorate-Cado.jpgDesaProtectorate-Sugt.jpg

DesaProtectorate-Ferl.jpgDesaCatalizerC.jpg

DesaCatalizerF.jpgDesaCatalizerS.jpg

Cado-Sugt-Ferl.jpg

[spoiler=Cado-Sugt-Ferl Effect]Activate only by Tributing 3 "Desa Protectorate" monsters you control with different names. Place this card face-up on top of your Extra Deck. It is treated as an Effect Monster Card (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 10/ATK 3300/DEF 2700). Your opponent cannot select this card as an attack target. If this is the only monster you control, your opponent can attack your Life Points directly. You can remove this card from play to negate the activation of a Spell Card, Trap Card, or Effect Monster's effect that destroys 2 or more cards on the field, and destroy that card. If you negate an effect this way, you can activate this card during your next Standby Phase.

~||~

Rate, comment, suggest improvements, I'm open to pretty much any form of constructive feedback ^_^

Artist Credit:

001-006: Father Wolf

007: Jougeroth and recolor by Bloodrun[/align]

They seem pretty simplistic, save for the last one, but they're not bad.

My question is, though, why bother placing the Spell Card on the top of your Extra Deck?

The effects are kind of simple (Other than the last one)' date=' but the cards are good all in all. 9/10

Will you be adding on to this set? :P

[/quote']

I think this is the entirety of the set. As for the simplicity, the 3 Protectorates are mostly just to get the Spell out, and the Catalizers are just to get the Protectorates out ;)

They seem pretty simplistic' date=' save for the last one, but they're not bad.

My question is, though, why bother placing the Spell Card on the top of your Extra Deck?

[/quote']

Because then it's not on the field and can't be destroyed by any effect short of something that discards a random card form the Extra Deck. And, simple isn't necessarily bad ;)

Great cards' date=' But the last card, the spell card, it's pic IS palkia.

Other than that, great cards. 9/10

[/quote']

Lol, if it is then w/e. Thanks for the comments ^_^

Nice mini-set. Seems pretty sweet to me. ^ ^ 9.5/10

Thanks! ^_^

No' date=' simple isn't bad, but it lacks your usual Dartherificness that I love.

But that last card gives this set just enough Dartherificness to make it great. It makes the set.

[/quote']

Lol, Dartherificness XD. And, the last card IS the set, the other cards are just to get it out ;)

face-up= Face-Up

What happens if the opponent uses a card like 'Raigeki Break' to destroy this card?

face-up = face-up (proof: Lightning Vortex)

I'm guessing you mean the Spell card. Since it sits on the Extra Deck, which isn't part of the field, it can't be targeted by any card that destroys cards on the field (like Raigeki Break, Mystical Space Typhoon, Lightning Vortex, etc.).

NOTE: I have added a line to the effect of Cado-Sugt-Ferl to clarify a mechanic quirk that Star pointed out. It's not really a big change, but now there should be no disputing that you can attack with this behemoth once you get him out ;)

Darth these suck man' date=' JK. The card are not your best but have major potential at being played I hope you continue and make some more. 8/10 room for inprovements

[/quote']

Yeah, I just really liked the idea of having a protected spell-monster, so I needed to balance his protection by making the cost higher, so that's where the monsters came from. The Catalysts are just to make it a little easier. Thanks for the comments ^_^

You could've just had the Spell Card be unaffected by card effects, and had it Special Summon a Token with those stats. Then you could Tribute the token to negate a mass-destruction effect and Special Summon another Token on the next Standby Phase. That's my view on it, rather than putting it... on top of the Extra Deck? A monster that sits away from the Monster Card Zones and acts as a monster, but not enough of a monster to be protecting you. Silly, in my opinion.

The entire Spell Card seemed like little more than a finishing touch. I would straight run the first three cards (or six, if I wanted to go all out) in a Burn Deck and set them in Defense Position as perma-stalls. Nothing would be able to touch me outside of piercing. Nothing at all. Why would I even consider getting rid of 3 invincible shields for a Spell Card that can protect me from mediocre points of destruction that I was already holding monsters that were immune to such effects?

Oh boy, the Spell Card's ATK is big. You don't need to utilize any ATK points to win a game, I can assure you of that. Exodia, Burn, anything that requires a little out of the box thinking will vouch for me there. The 0/0 stats do nothing to my eyes except point out the flexibility with Sangan, the Attribute searchers, Limit Reverse (they wouldn't be destroyed by the effect that would normally destroy them), and hell, even Spirit Barrier for near-definite invulnerability.

These are persistent stall walls that appear to be supporting a common theme with that mediocre Spell Card. There is never a time that I would consider pitching 3 totally immune monsters for a single Spell Card, unless I was playing a Fairy Meteor Big Bang Spear Dragon Beatdown Deck. >_>

The Spell Card is useless, the Catalizers are an unnecessary speed up for even more freedom of projected longevity, and the monsters can sit and stall for as long as you want. Final Countdown Decks can sit and wait for 20 turns, maybe leave and have a coffee or something more productive than watching an opponent waste every card they have trying to get rid of any of the Protectorates that you put in Defense Position.

The inability to be Normal Summoned doesn't even come close to a drawback when attempting to balance these out. No way.

As far as possible fixes, I'd suggest making one immune to battle and monster effects, one immune to battle and spell effects, and one immune to battle and trap effects. That would make them a WHOLE lot less broken than they are now, though even leaving it at that might be pushing it.

I'm not impressed. I nearly skipped the Spell Card entirely because I was amazed at how blatantly overpowered the Protectorates were. Then the Spell Card turned out to be a gimmicky way of showing off your Extra Deck Spell Cards. >_>

3/10.

Er, wow.....

This is exactly the kind of comment I've been looking for. You broke everything down and exposed the weaknesses of my set that I hadn't even really thought of. And here I was worried that the Spell was too indestructible, yet the monsters to get it are even moreso :P

I will definitely have to rework these, thanks so much for the comments ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Archived