The Original vs Cover Thread

CinnamonStar

In this thread we'll compare songs that have been both released as an original version and covered. Just post the name or link and the next person will rate.

Well I found something pretty interesting.
Any of you remember Bad Religion? The punk band from the 80's and 90's mostly. Well they released this song which was later covered by Anathema (one of my Nr.1 favourite bands).

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Sx23b88sI]Better Off Dead[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAC0PfzwIs]Cover by Anathema & Michelle Richfield from Dominion[/url] (don't mind the picture, that's not the singer from Dominion lol)

Well to be honest, I heard the cover version first although it's usually the opposite. I got hooked on the spot, it's such a beautiful song...*faints*
No really, some people said that Michelle Richfield's voice sounds a bit cheesy in that song but I think it fits.
Then I listened to the Bad Religion version and liked it too. Maybe not as much as the cover because the "I'm sorry about the moon..." doesn't come over so well with heavy guitar riffs, in my opinion.

So yeah, discuss "Better Off Dead" and feel free to post/comment on any other songs that have been released as an original and covered.

Some covers could be good, and some could really fail. I got two covers that's almost, if not, better than the original.

Alien AntFarm - Smooth Criminal (MJ Cover)

Fall Out Boy - Beat It (MJ Cover)

Those are the only covers that I like better than the original. But some covers could be better, some are really bad.

I like the song' date=' but its not really my sort of [b']gender,[/b] but still =)

Classic.

However, songs that need to mentioned:

Mad World - Cover is INSANELY better

Big in Japan - Ballad Cover by Ane Brun, insanely better.

Some covers could be good' date=' and some could really fail. I got two covers that's almost, if not, better than the original.

[b']Fall Out Boy - Beat It (MJ Cover)[/b]

Those are the only covers that I like better than the original. But some covers could be better, some are really bad.

Fall Out Boy's cover was an insult to everything the original song stood for.

Some covers could be good' date=' and some could really fail. I got two covers that's almost, if not, better than the original.

[b']Fall Out Boy - Beat It (MJ Cover)[/b]

Fall Out Boy's cover was an insult to everything the original song stood for.

I liked it, but probably because I'm a big fan of FOB.

Micheal Jackson - Smooth Criminal.

Alien Antfarm - Smooth Criminal.

In My Opinion The Cover Is Better....

Oh please no... None of the Smooth Criminal covers come close to the original.

[/quote']

Agreed. In general the original song is much better but there are some exceptions.

Don't agree so much with the rest though.

Fall Out Boy didn't do a bad job compared to many other covers but for Smooth Criminal, see above.

Avenged Sevenfold covered Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade"' date=' and although they did a good job, I preferred the original (mainly do to The Rev's backing vocals... =/).

[/quote']

I agree here, but probably because I don't like Avenged Sevenfold. Nothing comes close to an original Iron Maiden song.;)

I like the song' date=' but its not really my sort of [b']gender,[/b] but still =)

Classic.

Mad World by Tears for Fears was horrible but the Gary Jules cover is beautiful. I heard it for the first time when I listened to the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

I prefered the original Big in Japan though.

How about this?

REM - Losing my Religion (you all know it)

I love Graveworm to death.<3 Their version is like balsam for my ears although REM were quite good too.

[quote='Cove' pid='2042444' dateline='1239875825']
[/quote]

[quote='Shadow Avian' pid='2043684' dateline='1239895544']
Some covers could be good, and some could really fail. I got two covers that's almost, if not, better than the original.

[/quote]

Agreed. In general the original song is much better but there are some exceptions.
Fall Out Boy didn't do a bad job compared to many other covers but for Smooth Criminal, see above.

[quote='.brushfire' pid='2043768' dateline='1239896458']
Avenged Sevenfold covered Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade", and although they did a good job, I preferred the original (mainly do to The Rev's backing vocals... =/).
[/quote]

I agree here, but probably because I don't like Avenged Sevenfold. Nothing comes close to an original Iron Maiden song.;)

[quote='Nitton' pid='2044137' dateline='1239900454']
[quote='Soul Legacy' pid='2042429' dateline='1239875546']
I like the song, but its not really my sort of [b]gender,[/b] but still =)
[/quote]
Classic.

[/quote]

Mad World by Tears for Fears was horrible but the Gary Jules cover is beautiful. I heard it for the first time when I listened to the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

How about this?

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxLz_x6YMM]Cover by Graveworm[/url]

I love Graveworm to death.<3 Their version is like balsam for my ears although REM were quite good too.

[/quote']

Avenged Sevenfold covered Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade"' date=' and although they did a good job, I preferred the original (mainly do to The Rev's backing vocals... =/).

[/quote']

Classic.

How about this?

One "right round" is not what the original is called, secondly this rap song is not a cover it simply has snipits of the orginal song.

My perogitive by britney spears comes to mind, bobby brown just isisnt good. There for the cover is better.

Korn's versions of "word up" and "another brick in the wall" are epic.

Cascadas version of rascal flatts "What hurts the most" is cool but not as good.

One "right round" is not what the original is called' date=' secondly this rap song is not a cover it simply has snipits of the orginal song.

My perogitive by britney spears comes to mind, bobby brown just isisnt good. There for the cover is better.

Korn's versions of "word up" and "another brick in the wall" are epic.

Cascadas version of rascal flatts "What hurts the most" is cool but not as good.

[/quote']

First one: Like Rihanna used "Tainted Love" for SOS? Well not exactly she took the entire background melody.

Second: I never thought "My Prerogative" was a good song, don't care who sings it but that's probably just me. Matter of taste...

"Another Brick in the Wall" is always epic!XD

I also like Cascada. She's one of the few good Eurodance singers who make decent covers.

Speaking of her, how do you feel about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QybM9BjDUw8?

Compared to the Savage Garden original. I always thought it was beautiful but Cascada adds more... rhythm to it.xD There's also a slow version by her just like "Everytime We Touch" but it's boring.

Also, no opinions on "Losing my Religion"?

^ idk.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Meat Loaf has a cover of an elvis song (Roll over Beethoven I think) and its good. (my friend told me that it was a cover but I think its an original. But they do the thank you very much line that elvis did. So I done know. Is the 'cover better?'

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is much better than the original.

Oh' date=' couple more.

Fu Manchu "Godzilla" > Blue Oyster Cult original. Both freakin' awesome though.

Soundgarden "Rusty Cage" = Johnny Cash original.

[/quote']

Johnny Cash pwns everything.xD

Something for the lulz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7-2wooB9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JstG4_5r_gc&feature=related

I like Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" (Are Made of This) better than the regular version, but its creepy. Marilyn Manson is creepy. Deal with it.

Motley Crue's cover of "Smokin in the Boys Room" is awesomer than the original, same with Helter Skelter, Jailhouse Rock not so much.

Micheal Angelo Batio kinda made a shred-like cover of crazy train and black dog.

Archived