Talk about the many sets released and everything relevant to them. It can be the rarity of cards, the quality, the quantity, anything. But most importantly answer this : what makes a good set?

Personally I don't care if a set contains crappy filler cards as long as it has a decent amount of playable cards. These cards should be "obtainable". Many cards printed in the past were good, low priced and not too hard to get like sangan, chaos sorcerer, spirit reaper, trap dustshoot...

We also need some cards with value but there's a limit on how priced a card should be. CCV and DAD were too much. Back in the days we only had 2 secret rares. I'm not saying we should go back to 2 but the amount of cards of that rarity should be low so that they don't become rediculously overpriced (something around 4). I remember imperial order, magic cylinder, vampire lord.

New themes and support for old ones are also a good addition to a set. It gives more diversity to the game but they should be careful not to make them too powerful and make the rest of them unplayable. (yeah I'm talking to you gyzarus)

Here's some recently released cards that illustrate what I think is good for sets.

blackfeather - gale the whirlwind

cyber valley

trap eater

shield warrior

krebons

emergency teleport

goyo guardian

tytannial princess of camellias

arcanite magician

black salvo

gladiator beast darius

gladiator proving ground

blue thunder t-45

fires of doomsday

prime material dragon

ryko, lightsworn hunter

limit reverse

graceful revival

I'm still unsure on what they should do with power cards though. I don't know if they should do like DAD in japan (it's a rare), or like the good old mirror force, raigeki, don zaloog (harder to get but not secrets). Maybe they should do like jinzo and imperial order. Make them all secret but only put good secret so you don't end up having belial marquis of darkness with dark creator and DAD.

tl;dr

but i did see one thing!

Talk about the many sets released and everything relevant to them. It can be the rarity of cards' date=' the quality, the quantity, anything. But most importantly answer this : what makes a good set?

Personally I don't care if a set contains crappy filler cards as long as it has a decent amount of playable cards. These cards should be "obtainable". Many cards printed in the past were good, low priced and not too hard to get like sangan, chaos sorcerer, spirit reaper, trap dustshoot...

We also need some cards with value but there's a limit on how priced a card should be. CCV and DAD were too much. Back in the days we only had 2 secret rares. I'm not saying we should go back to 2 but the amount of cards of that rarity should be low so that they don't become rediculously overpriced (something around 4). I remember imperial order, magic cylinder, vampire lord.

New themes and support for old ones are also a good addition to a set. It gives more diversity to the game but they should be careful not to make them too powerful and make the rest of them unplayable. (yeah I'm talking to you gyzarus)

Here's some recently released cards that I think illustrate what i think is good for sets.

blackfeather - gale the whirlwind

cyber valley

trap eater

shield warrior

krebons

emergency teleport

goyo guardian

tytannial princess of camellias

arcanite magician

black salvo

gladiator beast darius

gladiator proving ground

blue thunder t-45

fires of doomsday

prime material dragon

ryko, lightsworn hunter

limit reverse

graceful revival

I'm still unsure on what they should do with power cards though. I don't know if they should do like DAD in japan (it's a rare), or like the good old mirror force, raigeki, don zaloog (harder to get but not secrets). Maybe they should do like jinzo and imperial order. Make them all secret but only put good secret so you don't end up having belial marquis of darkness with dark creator and DAD.

Trapeatermen.png

What makes a good set?[/Quote]

PTDN.

No. That set gave us the pest of DAD. Which gave us all the whiners who didn't have the money to get him and Allure and all his DARK pals. And it totally destroyed the fun out of Yu-Gi-Oh! The players with a lot of money and no life got Tele-DAD, while the poor players didn't and were wiped out.

I don't think that was a very good set. Hurled us into a world of agressive play.

And I think a Set that has good cards, but that everybody can easily obtain, is a good one.

A Set that has good cards that are easy to obtain? Balderdash. Tell us a Set with awesome cards that are easy to get.

LODT? Not likely.

PTDN? Bull.

TDGS? Nah.

CSOC? Unless you like Plants.

CRMS? I said good cards.

The really good cards that you can get in a Set are the older Sets, which have stuff like Commons that are now banned, and Super Rare Raigekis, and stuff that you can sell.

why do people say ptdn was good it had

4 good commons (calculator, blue thunder, bushi, chain material)

5 good super rares which only cyber valley beign really good

4 good rares

only 1 good ultra rare

and 3 good secrets (was 4 but goblin zombie is a super now)

so thats only 17 in 99 cards thats good

wow great set!

but the thign is its the sheer amount of utter crap the set contains that brings it down, when you pull a card that isnt any on the good 17 its almost impossible to shift unless its yubel and even then its still difficult ¬_¬

light of destruction was just as bad, exept the commons for battermen and frogs made it slightly better than ptdn

the deulist genisis was a great pack!

crossroads was terrible as there was only 3 good cards in that set plagespreadder tempest magician and mark of the rose

unless you count the waves of other plant support but plants suck so w/e

however i love the new set crimson crisis as all the good cards are super rare :P

If you compare the quality of cards PTDN was one of the best set ever created, if you don't consider the rarity. Look at cards like dark nephthys. It's insane no one would have thought they'd make something as good as this but with everything the set had (dad, allure, valley...) most of the good cards were overshadowed. And there are more playable commons than 4. The set has darius, unleash your power, proving ground, all out attack. It is the most playable set ever created. It's a shame they had to screw the rarities.

And now so that this doesn't turn to a ptdn thread. Analyse other sets, specially the older ones. MRD and IOC were good while AST was relly meh.

Archived