Deck Point System

Seiyaryu

Hi, these are my second bunch of cards and I have looked up how to use better OCG since my first bunch so hopefully these will be better. Anyway, these cards use my brand new "Deck Point System". The "Deck Point System" makes it so that a player can only have 40 points worth of cards in their Deck. Each card will state how many points it is worth from 0-5. I just thought it could be a fun addition to the game. Give as much feedback as you can becuase I am here to learn.

Also I read that we are supposed to post Art Links so I will post those under each individual card.

Ultra Rare

4jrl3q.jpg

http://www.angelknight.net/images/demon.jpg

Rare

2z4k48j.jpg

http://images.animanga.nu/fanart/6546/anime.jpg

Common

2ecewwp.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv36/heidihun123/anime.jpg

Well, the added that Speed Counter stuff, all the counters on Spellcasters, It would be just another part of the game. Some cards would be so really powerful but have to cost a vast amount of points. It could open oppurtunities for more powerful cards. MAYBE.

It would make the deck structure thrown off balance' date=' with this new idea.

[/quote']

Yes, that is the one true flaw. Decks that are viable now probably wouldn't be under this system. Of course it could open up new, fresh twists, but not all players would welcome more restrictions on their decks.

Guest Supreme Gamesmaster

Well' date=' the added that Speed Counter stuff, all the counters on Spellcasters, It would be just another part of the game. Some cards would be so really powerful but have to cost a vast amount of points. It could open oppurtunities for more powerful cards. MAYBE.

[/quote']

Speed Spells a) replace the card pool, rather than rewriting it, and b) don't actually exist.

Counters have existed since MFC, and not every possible card ever has to use them. Actually, they're completely auxiliary, and no compatibility has to be written into a card; note A-Counters, Fog Counters, and the like.

good OCG' date=' the "deck point system" is an intersting idea, if you want some help with how to grade cards look up yugioh duelists of the roses if you haven't already, there was a deck cost system incorporated in there but it uses far larger numbers than yours

[/quote']

At least, that would work if Duelists of the Roses didn't completely suck.

The system would make the game less fun (more on that later). Besides, you have to consider the mathematical formulæ you're invoking by screwing with numbers. Here's a problematic one:

%5CLARGE%5C%21m%20%3D%20%5Cfrac%7B40%7D%7Bx%7D.gif

m equals the number of cards in the Deck; x equals the existing average number of Deck Points. Let's try it for some numbers:

1 = 40

Good.

2 = 20

Ah... this could be a short game.

3 = 13.33333...

Er, one third of a card? How are you supposed to fill that gap?

4 = 10

Draw power is death now. Although, if the cards have 4 DP, and

5 = 8

Now that's just ridiculous.

Ooh, but some cards have zero DP, so that makes it alright! Well, then, the formula changes to this; variables are as above, but z = the number of cards which must have 0 DP:

%5CLARGE%5C%2140-%5Cfrac%7B40%7D%7Bx%7D.gif

So, how many cards of zero DP are necessary to bring both the DP and number of cards to forty? Let's find out.

0 = Infinity

Because I don't feel like finding the symbol right now.

1 = 0

Now, see, this is fine, right? Well, let's try the next one.

2 = 20

It's already completely ridiculous; let's keep going just for fun.

3 = 26.666666...

No, really. Twenty-six and two-thirds.

4 = 30

5 = 32

If I were you, I'd draw the line, where I said 50% of the Deck had to have zero DP for the Deck to be legal. Hit five, and you need 80% of the Deck to have zero DP. Problem, no?

Ah, but you don't need to have them all of the same variety! However, there are still repercussions. Variables remain the same:

%5CLARGE%5C%21z%3Dx-1.gif

I'd say this was the simplest one yet, no? Basically, it shows how many zero DP cards are necessary per card of a certain DP value. Let's go through this again.

0 = -1

Because obviously, you can have as many zero DP cards as you'd like. There's a reason zero screws everything up.

1 = 0

Good, no?

2 = 1

Eh, that's reasonable, right? For every two DP card, you need a zero DP card? Makes sense...

3 = 2

Two cards per three DP. That makes some form of sense.

4 = 3

Okay, now it's starting to get a bit out of hand.

5 = 4

I need to find four useless cards to stock one of these?! It had better be a veritable Chaos Emperor Dragon, or else.

Just because I want to kill my potential viewership, I'll add this formula:

%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cfrac%7Bp-u%7D%7Bn%5E2%7D.gif

Where p = potential # of viewers, u = user preeminence factor, and n = number of mathematical formulæ contained within the post.

You see how this kind of thing spirals out of control quickly, no? Imposing numerical limits as such makes gameplay inanely tedious, to the degree where it becomes boring and unworthy of playing. You're fixing a nonexistent problem; the banlist exists, and does a much better job of regulating cards than this system. I laud your creativity, and scorn your lack of revision for the concept. Mostly the latter, because that's the kind of person I am.

Guest Supreme Gamesmaster

Ah, good point. Let's up the max to eighty and retry. Keep in mind that no good Deck has over 40 cards.

%5CLARGE%5C%21m%3D%5Cfrac%7B80%7D%7Bx%7D.gif

0 = Infinity

1 = 80

2 = 40

3 = 26.666666...

4 = 20

5 = 16

%5CLARGE%5C%21z%3D40-%5Cfrac%7B80%7D%7Bx%7D.gif

0 = Negative infinity

1 = -40

2 = 0

3 = 13.33333333...

4 = 20

5 = 24

%5CLARGE%5C%21z%3D%5Cfrac%7Bx%7D%7B2%7D-1.gif

0 = -1

1 = -0.5

2 = 0

3 = 0.5

4 = 1

5 = 1.5

Still more reasonable, but meh. Still not liking the mandate to add bad cards. TCG players would hate this system with a passion.

i never said duelist of the roses was good, i only got it for the cards really, but your formulae are a good start to working out the required system, i think the limit should be much higher at say around 200 and have some cards cost like 12 points, as has been said many times 40 is a little low to build a deck on. however you could make the cost limit an agreed stake of the duel, just like life points can sometimes be, though that can give you a deck of hundreds of cards your opponents would have to agree to it

>Supreme Gamesmaster<

While I appreciate your comment as constuctive criticism, I would like to ask if you even kept in mind that just becuase a card has lower points does not necessarily mean it will be bad, and as clearly stated in the effect of the third card on my post "Watching the Violet Moon", some cards have the effect of reducing the cost of other cards in the deck. Which make the Deck Point System a lot more flexible. Lets set up an easy example, lets say I'm making a Dark Spellcaster-Type Deck and I want to put my "Dark Magician" in it which just happens to cost 4 Deck Points, by throwing in 3 "Watching the Violet Moon" into my Deck I will reduce the cost of "Dark Magician" to 1 and get three cards to boost the power of the monsters in my Deck. So I think that shows how the Deck Point system can be used in a perfectly reasonable way.

Adding cards to the deck to lower the cost of others is not a good idea. I do not see many players wasting deck space to lower a card's cost so that they can fit more in.

Contrary to Einstein's post above, I do not think that finding an appropriate maximum would be difficult. The difficult part, and most controversial, would be assigning the point values to cards.

Another interesting idea would be having a point limit to cards you could play each turn. Like only being able to play 5 points worth of cards each turn, so you could have a deck full of 5 cost cards, but then you would only be able to play 1 card each turn if you did.

Another interesting idea would be having a point limit to cards you could play each turn. Like only being able to play 5 points worth of cards each turn' date=' so you could have a deck full of 5 cost cards, but then you would only be able to play 1 card each turn if you did.

[/quote']

Overkill.

Deck limits + Mana-esque system = Too many radical changes to comply to

Another interesting idea would be having a point limit to cards you could play each turn. Like only being able to play 5 points worth of cards each turn' date=' so you could have a deck full of 5 cost cards, but then you would only be able to play 1 card each turn if you did.

[/quote']

Overkill.

Deck limits + Mana-esque system = Too many radical changes to comply to

Oh, I was just saying the Mana-esque system by itself, not along with the deck limit.

>Supreme Gamesmaster<

While I appreciate your comment as constuctive criticism' date=' I would like to ask if you even kept in mind that just becuase a card has lower points does not necessarily mean it will be bad, and as clearly stated in the effect of the third card on my post "Watching the Violet Moon", some cards have the effect of reducing the cost of other cards in the deck. Which make the Deck Point System a lot more flexible. Lets set up an easy example, lets say I'm making a Dark Spellcaster-Type Deck and I want to put my "Dark Magician" in it which just happens to cost 4 Deck Points, by throwing in 3 "Watching the Violet Moon" into my Deck I will reduce the cost of "Dark Magician" to 1 and get three cards to boost the power of the monsters in my Deck. So I think that shows how the Deck Point system can be used in a perfectly reasonable way.

[/quote']

Well i think this idea is good but let the points be at 100 with a few cards that lower points and it will work out but relying on only cards that lower points not that good of an idea. So i think points should be around 95-100

9.5/10 on the subject

Oh' date=' I was just saying the Mana-esque system by itself, not along with the deck limit.

[/quote']

The way Yugioh is designed, it would be difficult to implement. It works well in MTG, the the game and cards were designed around play-limits.

Archived