Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Pack 1

A simple preview of a project I'm working on (solo) -- I'm aware that this sort of thing has already been done, but I had started one of my own before I uncovered that project. Seeing that project stalled my own (I don't wish to copy), but then I realized that I'd committed myself to it, and so I should continue it.

And so I have. There will be at least 2 Spell Cards for each character, but as it stands I'm just going to release the seven bosses, Koakuma, and the Field Spell of the pack. (Daiyousei will be in a different pack, don't worry -- I'll make all of Team 9 yet.)

283287e.jpg

Rumia, Stage 1 Boss and part of Team 9. Note that the Summon-Through-Cirno effect is going to be an overarching theme of Team 9 members.

283287p.jpg

Cirno, Stage 2 Boss and primary member of Team 9. Famous baka, and as you can see a searcher in my theme. Team 9 members can be noted for being put into play by being searched by this effect. (Also, a confession: I pressed the 'Random Serial Number' button several times trying to get a '9', and that fantastic serial number was the result. Imagine my frustration later when Rumia got triple-9 first-try.)

283287.jpg

Hong Meiling, the spoiler card. Yes, she is Hong Meiling, not China. As you've probably noticed, I'm using the same artist's art for all of these cards -- sankuma, found on Danbooru (I used Safebooru, though). A great artist, to be sure. That said, I had to troubleshoot Meiling a bit, and I thank Bringerofcake for their assistance in this matter.

283287.jpg

Patchouli Knowledge, the One-Week Wizard (or Wizard of the Week, if you so prefer). SHE will get a full roster of 5 to 7 Spell Cards, now that I think about it. However, it is with trepidation that I post her up, and you'll see why in her effect -- those "Spell Card" Spell Cards will be the various Spell Cards that the characters fought through in the games, ones that exemplify the characters that go with them (e.g., Flandre will get 'Taboo "Four of a Kind", Cirno will get Icicle Fall, etc. etc.). So that means I have even MORE work to do.

283287c.jpg

Sakuya Izayoi, who got heavily nerfed. See the first effect? Protagonist effect. Will appear in the cards of Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, and Sanae. Not sure about Yuka, though (yes, Kazami-san was a protagonist -- back in PC-98). However, the second effect is pure ZA WARUDO. Sakuya stops time to ensure her victory, shall we say. This is the effect that got nerfed -- originally, she would discard a "Spell Card" Spell to do the deed, but now it auto-fires only when she's alone -- I see now that this actually combos well with the Scarlet Devil Mansion, but that's just a bonus I guess.

283287c.jpg

Remilia Scarlet, the Lady Without Mercy (aka the Scarlet Devil). Vampire who feeds a little messily (hence 'Scarlet Devil'), and head of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. This, I might add, is why I cop-out with 'This card inflicts Piercing Damage.' a la Cyberdark Horn -- too little room in this justification format to even be able to do it otherwise. That said, I hope you recognize the second effect from somewhere (I admit that I got this idea on Maidens of the Kaleidoscope, from someone else who was doing cards at the time).

283287.jpg

Flandre Scarlet, Extra Stage boss, younger (and stronger) sister of Remilia Scarlet, and holder of Laevatein (yes, that wand from Norse myth that's going to be used to destroy all but one part of the world -- THAT WAND). Note that the ritual is going to come later, but it's not anything terribly special and so it can wait for later. Also, there's a reason for the way the Trap immunity works -- it's so that there's a grace period for things like Torrential Tribute, Half or Nothing, Negate Attack, etc. to be used against her.

283287y.jpg

Koakuma, assistant of Patchouli Knowledge and Stage 4 Midboss. The one monster card image (so far) that did not come from sankuma. Also, a spoiler further that I'll be making a Continuous Spell of the Voile.

283287.jpg

The Scarlet Devil Mansion, setting of the latter half (or three-quarters) of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Yes, the image came with those margins, no, this isn't a sankuma work, it can be found by searching 'scarlet_devil_mansion' on Safebooru, though. I tried to make the effect balanced by letting either player use it, and require a Lone Wolf situation for it to be usable.

Now that you've seen all I have so far . . . weigh in, OCG fixes are welcome so long as they are within the spirit of the effect, and if you wish to rate them then by all means, do so.

I thank you for reading/viewing my work, and wish you a very good day. Thank you.

Wow! These are pretty good, balanced, creative and the flavor is fitting too! I like your additional comments for people who are not familiar with the series (I actually know the games, though), that's a good habit for not mainstream Pop Culture cards, in my opinion. The "Spell Card" Spell Card sounds a bit awkward, but I know the reason why they are that way, so there is no reason to complain about them. And I believe if you say monster alone (so not as Monster Card), you do not need to capitalize. My score is 9.5/10 for them! Keep up the good work!

Oh, and I'm really happy that you remember the PC-98 series, too ^^

Archived