Advertising.

Static

If you ban television advertisements aimed at children, you ban children's television as a whole; there's simply no money in it. And, of course, since any show with a merchandise tie-in is an implicit advertisement for that merchandise, such shows would actually be illegal, so say goodbye to Transformers and the like.

Should there be a ban on television advertisements aimed at children?

by this do you mean all televised advertizements' date=' or advertizements about television?

[/quote']

He's clearly talking about the latter. Because all advertisements for new televisions are aimed at kids, who can totally afford them. And such advertisements are common enough that they totally warrant special mention here.

...lolycm.

Depends on the type of advertising. Some types, like fast food company commercials that promote the unhealthy products on their menu to children should be resticted, as they are contributing to the obesity problem.

If it's not aimed at children, then the adults watching it should be smart enough to know what is best for them anyway >.>

To answer the first part of the debate, widespread advertising is not necessarily good, but it is necessary.

EDIT: I sipz....

Depends on the type of advertising. Some types' date=' like fast food company commercials that promote the [b']unhealthy[/b] products on their menu to children should be resticted, as they are contributing to the obesity problem.

If it's not aimed at children, then the adults watching it should be smart enough to know what is best for them anyway >.>

To answer the first part of the debate, widespread advertising is not necessarily good, but it is necessary.

On the other hand, the parents should be smart enough to realize that feeding their kids this food will turn them into fatasses, and take appropriate actions to stop it.

Advertising creates jobs, and I don't really see much of a negative side (besides the annoyance of having whatever you're watching interrupted by a commercial), and advertising also lets sites like this exist. Overall, I think advertising is a benefit.

Oh, and I took a sip.

If you ban television advertisements aimed at children' date=' you ban children's television as a whole; there's simply no money in it. And, of course, since any show with a merchandise tie-in is an implicit advertisement for that merchandise, such shows would actually be illegal, so say goodbye to Transformers and the like.

by this do you mean all televised advertizements' date=' or advertizements about television?

[/quote']

He's clearly talking about the latter. Because all advertisements for new televisions are aimed at kids, who can totally afford them. And such advertisements are common enough that they totally warrant special mention here.

...lolycm.

Off topic: i shall not sip >=D

------

widespread advertising: yes, because it will help boost the economy

television ads: no, because half the kids channels tell you to get active anyways =/

I think the second question was miswritten.

I meant to specify ads that are made to target kids. For example, Mcdonalds using the clown, Camel Cigarettes using the Camel; I am talking about advertisements that are made to make children want the product.

This debate is not over non-profit organization adverts nor is it over good will adverts (such as "get active" or "Don't smoke or do drugs" ads), because a Television company can choose what ads they want to run.

Should advertisements that target children as the primary consumer be more heavily regulated? Should any specific company or type of company (like they did to the Cigarette companies) be barred from advertising to children?

I don't feel that the first question has much meat to it, both sides are right, it just depends whether you more strongly support the value of a strong economy or the value of not having your life invaded by companies.

IMO, f-ck the market, the only ads I want to hear are hair product ads; I need to keep on top of the best way to make my hair as fabulous as it is. ;) Corporations have no business telling me what I should buy. This really applies less to television and more to billboards, "airport ads," and all the other ads that you can't completely block out.

I also don't think that companies that have a history of "worsening" a person (i.e. fast food) should be allowed to advertise in a manner that targets children. We should be a responsible society, and we shouldn't let these vacuum vaults make our children fatter while the only thing getting fatter about them is their wallets. Advertisements that aren't "children's products," such as water guns and the like, should be more responsible and not target children with their ads, and there should be more government action preventing "bad advertising."

Your examples are a bit outdated since neither McDonalds or Camel uses those mascots anymore in advertising. Advertising a product clearly not only not meant for, but actually banned from usage by minors (ie cigarettes, alcohol) should not be allowed to target children. Other than that, I say anything goes. Its the parents responsibility to tell their kid to shut the funk up when they want something too expensive.

American mentality....

Guess it doesn't matter how many adverts you watch in a day; people aren't going to get smarter, if they're the kind of people that will buy their kids what they want or give their kids that much money, the kids will be more destroyed by bad parenting than any sort of negative corporate influence.

Whatevs dude.

If you ban television advertisements aimed at children' date=' you ban children's television as a whole; there's simply no money in it. And, of course, since any show with a merchandise tie-in is an implicit advertisement for that merchandise, such shows would actually be illegal, so say goodbye to Transformers and the like.

[/quote']

...lolycm.

Remember to take a sip! ;D

Anyway, I agree with Crab on this one.

American mentality....

Guess it doesn't matter how many adverts you watch in a day; people aren't going to get smarter' date=' if they're the kind of people that will buy their kids what they want or give their kids that much money, the kids will be more destroyed by bad parenting than any sort of negative corporate influence.

Whatevs dude.

[/quote']

lol, my parents are from China, so maybe that's why I didn't get sheet when I was growing up.

American mentality....

Guess it doesn't matter how many adverts you watch in a day; people aren't going to get smarter' date=' if they're the kind of people that will buy their kids what they want or give their kids that much money, the kids will be more destroyed by bad parenting than any sort of negative corporate influence.

Whatevs dude.

[/quote']

lol, my parents are from China, so maybe that's why I didn't get s*** when I was growing up.

Glad to hear it; you should very content with that.

Archived