Prohibition

Static

If you ban something like alcohol or cigarettes, you are just creating more problems. All of the tax money the government gets from these things is being eradicated. And you are just telling people "oh, you can't buy this sheet anymore, so just smuggle it".

No. History shows us that a) it will do little to fix the problem, as people have many ways of getting around such restrictions; and b) It will cause the already thriving black market to gain an even more popular product, making it even harder for law enforcement to handle smugglers/dealers ect.

I don't think we should be putting that kind of a burden on the already strained law enforcement agencies.

No. History shows us that a) it will do little to fix the problem' date=' as people have many ways of getting around such restrictions; and b) It will cause the already thriving black market to gain an even more popular product, making it even harder for law enforcement to handle smugglers/dealers ect.

I don't think we should be putting that kind of a burden on the already strained law enforcement agencies.

[/quote']

Not that they're trying hard enough. >_> Which they aren't.

We need to lower the restrictions on alcohol. The reason so many idiot teenagers go binge drinking is because they know they aren't supposed to, the taboo makes it more exciting.

And,

That's been tried before' date=' without success.

Besides, smoking is a much bigger problem than drinking anyhow.

[/quote']

Legal. And available to all.

I view it as mindfuckingly ironic when so many young guns have access to LSD, cocaine, or similar sheet, yet can't taste a sip of beer. Or tequila. Or [insert favorite alcoholic beverage here].

Although I don't think that Alcohol, or the social events and locations such as clubs, bars, and parties that thrive off of these things, has any real use in our society. If the black markets were eradicated, and the underground sale and consumption of alcohol would be impossible if it were to be made illegal, then I would be in full support of its banning.

Since we don't live in that world, and it would actually destroy our entire system if we placed a ban on it, then it should remain legal, and should be made legal for anyone 18+ rather than 21+ in America. However, the fines for driving drunk and for "buying or allowing minors alcohol" should be increased.

Although I don't think that Alcohol' date=' or the social events and locations such as clubs, bars, and parties that thrive off of these things, has any real use in our society. If the black markets were eradicated, and the underground sale and consumption of alcohol would be impossible if it were to be made illegal, then I would be in full support of its banning.

Since we don't live in that world, and it would actually destroy our entire system if we placed a ban on it, then it should remain legal, and should be made legal for anyone 18+ rather than 21+ in America. However, the fines for driving drunk and for "buying or allowing minors alcohol" should be increased.

[/quote']

This. Its funking retarded that I can vote for my leader, or go serve in the army, but not be allowed to buy a drink.

• 2 months later...

really, it should stay legal. so should, oh, i don't know, EVERY DRUG KNOWN TO MAN! and be made available to everyone. the only reason people under the legal age get involved that stuff is because its illegal. as stated above, the Taboo adds to the thrill. they know if they get caught, they get in trouble. that alone is a thrill. (I know, I break half the school rules. its fun, but really, its more fun BECAUSE its against the rules.) take away the illegality, take away a major attraction for it. HINT: if they don't wanna do it, they won't do it, illegal or not. if they wanna do it, they'll do it, and they'll get an even bigger rush because its illegal. as for the "Gateway drug" argument, i counter that with: they're idiots with the logic "I've been getting away with this, this is supposed to be better. I bet I could get away with this, too."

Archived