[Review] Gradius Rebirth (WiiWare)

OmegaWave

[align=center]Today, i'm going to rate one of my new favorite games. A WiiWare title known as Gradius Rebirth. Actually, the Gradius Series in general is in my top 3 list of my all time favorite games.

250px-Gradiusrebirthlogo.jpg

(Facts About the Game in General)

Gradius Rebirth is the latest title in one of the legendary SHMUP series, Gradius. Gradius was first introduced in the late 1980's. And even today in our age of Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil, Gradius is still recieving high reviews for it's classic gameplay, excellent graphics, memorable music, and just it's overall nostalgia.

(Story)

Set in the year 6664, before the "Silent Nightmare Incident". The "Silent Nightmare Incident" is actually referring to Gradius II. So Chronologically, Gradius Rebirth takes place in between Gradius and Gradius II. The peace that occured after Victory Viper pilot James Burton defeated Bacterion and his army was short lived. The planet Antichthon, a protectorate of the Gradian Empire, suddenly and mysteriously falls silent. A report was made by the Director General of the Space Science Agency, Dr. Venom, which mentions that Antichthon's mother computer was now under the control of the Bacterians. Realizing that a threat from the Bacterians may be imminent, the Gradian Government deploys its Gradian forces to combat the threat. Among them is Special Colonel James Burton, who had defeated the Bacterians a few years ago. Armed with an A.I. program called Gaudie, James Burton sets out in the hyperspace fighter known as the Vic Viper, in the hopes that he can combat the new Bacterian threat. But little does James know that there's much more in store for him...

(Gameplay)

Can only be described as Classic Gradius. You pilot the Vic Viper and combat swarms of Bacterion Mechs through each level. At the end of each level, a boss awaits that you must destroy by "Destroying it's Core". The power-up system remains largely unchanged. As you destroy enemies, Orange Power Capsules appear. When you get one, one of the weapons on your power-up meter lights up

In Order: Speed Up/Missile/Double (Adds another gun to the ship)/Laser (Various Laser Upgrades Available)/Multiple (Spawns an Orange Orb that is a basic copy of your ship. It's indestructible and fires all of the same weapons you do. You can have up to 4 normally.)/Shield (Frontal Shield-Extremely Durable or Surrounding Forcefield-Only protects 3 attacks.)

The Capsules build up. When you get the power-up you want, press the "1" button in this case, you obtain the power-up. This means, if you want a Laser Upgrade, you need to obtain 4 Capsules in a row without using them.

(Music)

The music is very good. It's actually comparable to the Arcade Toned music (I have several Gradius Arcade games. I've compared the music.) Gradius Rebirth's music is actually just several remixes of older themes (Save for the Space theme....I think that one is new.) So hardcore Gradius players will really appriciate this game's soundtrack.

(Graphics)

This game's Graphics are comparable to Gradius Gaiden.

--Gradius Rebirth / Level 1--

2817113359_957905c9f1.jpg?v=0

Very nice 16-bit graphics that harken back to the game's roots. It's good. 'Nuff said.

(Rating)

I give this game......An A. An excellent addition to the Gradius Series. My only beef with this game is that there are only 5 levels and it lacks a boss rush sequence...though I can understand because the first Gradius was the same way. And Boss Rush didn't start until Gradius II. Anyway, yeah. If you have a Wii, I highly suggest getting this game. It's 1000 Wii Points, the equivilent of $10.

ENJOY GRADIUS TO THE FULLEST!!![/align]

I played the game and liked it. It had some annoying parts like the beginning of stage four has enemies coming from behind and shooting bullets when they die and it can be hard to get past that with no upgrades on very hard. It doesn't allow you to edit your weapons which is one of the best features if you don't like the ones that are already there which hurts the game. The game is not bad but it could have been better.

Archived