A bluff in a duel

marisa

This happened to my friend a few days ago.

He played against someone in the Yugi society in my town.

He was playing Fairy deck, and challenged a machine deck.

His field was a faced up Hysteric Fairy, and a Sakuretsu.

His opponent's was a faced up Drilloid.

It is on his opponent turn.

His opponent declared an attack against Hysteric, then asks "do you respond my attack?". Since the only card on his field was that Drilloid, and a little confused about the meaning of his question earlier, abruptly he decided not to respond with his Sakuretsu.

At the damage step, his opponent activates Rush Recklessly from his hand. My friend tried to activate his Sakuretsu, but the others said it is too late, you can't activate Sakuretsu at the damage step.

After a long thinking, and rechecking the old basic rule at UDE website, I found a statement which said "you can't activate any trap/quickplay spell card during damage step, except for a trap/spell which can increase/ decrease a card ATK/DEF". Of course, you eligible to negate the activation of the spell/trap card mentioned.

I felt something fishy here, how could his opponent asking about whether he respond the attack or not. I guess, it is a secret, and it just a bluff to pretake the initiative move. What do you think guys ?

If it was me,

"Do you respond my attack ?"

"Dunno, will you attack me or not?"

If he choose yes, it most likely he would use the card on his sleeve.

Then, sakuretsu awaits. But, it might not working if he insist asking me...

Truly a very confusing situation...

Wait a minute, you CAN'T activate other traps or quick-play spells during damge step (other than mask of weakness and rush recklessly type cards right?) ? didnt know that. Anyways, i would've responed with sakuretsu armor. It couldnt have been a bluff, more like he forgot about sakuretsu or didnt care. no offense of course

Someone attacked you with a lower atk monster, he asks you whether you activate something or not to respond this attack. If you answer it with not, he will attack, and activates Rush Recklessly from his hand. You can't respond it with sakuretsu, because Rush Recklessly activated at the damage step he said.

My point of view, the question he asked earlier is a bit fishy.

It just as if he asked me what kind of trap I have down there....

I always get suspicious whnever my opponent attacks with

a weaker monster, leaves themselves wide open, or attacks

without meaning (like randomly attacking a face-up

marshmallon). And like Spells and Traps that that increase

ATK/DEF, Counter Traps can also be activated in the Damage

Step. Attack a Marshmallon? You can activate Divine Wrath

if it was set a turn earlier.

No, the one who's bluffing here was me. Not him.

Do you respond my attack ?

Dunno, would you attack me or not ?

Then, if he activates the Rush Recklessly, I'll respond that with Sakuretsu.

I'll say, "I activate this, when you said you attack me, it is not even at the damage step"

same here... that's not a bluff...

a bluff is setting a creature swap and your opponent doesn't attack thinking that it's sakuretsu...

holly :shock: who does that... other than me. i only do that in person so if i fidget the card a bit they dont do annything i stalled for 3 turns whispering stuff about mirror force, and fidgeting the card when my opponent used MST on it imagine there surprise to see an ax of despair

any experienced player scares his opponent setting cards that he/she won't use yet to make him waste the heavy storm and the MST... i used to set the NoC or the swap, then i set sakus, mirror, torrential, etc...

even a guy got angry to me because i set a NoC and the thought that it was mirror and didn't attacked, he set and then in my turn i used brain control over his monster and played NoC against his set monster, that it was gravekeeper's spy, he lost 2 cards of his deck, lose advantage then i won...

same here... that's not a bluff...

a bluff is setting a creature swap and your opponent doesn't attack thinking that it's sakuretsu...

You don't really understand do you?

No matter the upcoming answer to my question, I gained something.

Should I spill the bean? Mr.Snake?

Normal people weak to dumb questions....

My friend fell 3 times against the trick, and defeated.

i understood, but that won't work for all people, only the novice people that don't have some habits, like checking your grave, asking how many cards are on your hand, or watching the set card's shape (a friend knew when the opponent has a mirror force face down only by noticing that the card is a little more bent than the others)

mind tricks only works on weak minds, my young padawan... XD

Archived