How to Create Name Holos in Photoshop ~ Mia

[align=center]I believe it's just about time for me to reveal the true method behind making name holos.

But first thing's first. I use Photoshop; if you ask me about how to do name holos in another program like GIMP, you're on your own. I don't give a crap about GIMP, or any other graphic-based program for the matter.

[spoiler=Foreword:]For a long time, something as simple as this was STILL never figured out by even the most experienced card makers. That's just sad. It's not hard at all, and with a bit more of an advanced configuration (Photoshop actions), you can do it in like... 10 seconds? Yeah, maybe. Well, I can, at least.

Please note: LONNNNGGGGGGGGG card names are still a pain in the *** to name holo. That's simply because of the loss of quality after the text is squished together by the Card Maker. You shouldn't even be name holoing cards with long names anyway.

This works best on Rare/Secret Rare cards, or cards with custom name designs. The Ultra Rare and Ultimate Rare cards don't work so great. Same goes for Synchros. They require a lot more work on your part. But I've included a way to rectify that problem as well. It's still a few more steps though.

Now that this method has been revealed, everybody is free to use this to their pleasing, including in shops. BUT, if it IS in a shop, it must be offered for FREE. Simple as that.

This tutorial assumes that you've already defined the holo sheet as a Photoshop pattern. If you do not know how, simply paste the holo sheet into an empty document, go to Edit > Define Pattern... and type in some name and confirm it.

[spoiler=Main Tutorial for Rare/Secret Rare/Custom Cards:]

Step 1: Make your card in the Card Maker.

2ufccoo.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2: Copy the card preview and paste it into Photoshop.

11kulpc.jpg

i1i52w.jpg

ot46mv.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3: Select the Magic Wand Tool (press W) and click any one of the letters (or numbers) in the name. (Zoom in if needed.)

2euixkj.jpg

Step 4: Right-click > Similar. Then, hold Alt, and left-click all the extra little bits around the name that doesn't need to be holo'd.

311rred.jpgiwhjfb.jpg

Step 5: Select the Rectangular Marquee Tool (press M), and hold Alt (zoom back out if you haven't already). Left-click and drag boxes around all the major portions of the card that need not be holo'd.

vnf680.jpgjhsnle.jpg

Step 6: Right-click > Fill. Use: Pattern, Custom Pattern: [holo sheet here], Mode: Luminosity, Opacity: 20%. Click OK. Don't deselect yet.

euotcl.jpg

Step 7: Again, Right-click > Fill. Same settings; change Mode to Color Dodge and Opacity to 50%. Click OK. Deselect.

f3yw5k.jpg

2uz9mae.jpg

[spoiler=Tutorial for Ultra Rare/Ultimate Rare Cards:]If you are trying to name holo a Ultra Rare or Ultimate Rare card, it WILL be difficult. Here is the best way that I know of that will help you save time, rather than having to select each and every one of the letters and/or numbers one-by-one.

1. Paste your card into Photoshop.

353duly.jpg

2. Go back to the Card Maker, and make a Spell or Trap Card with the same name, in Secret Rare. Copy and paste it ONTOP of your other card, thus making another layer ontop of your other card.

30n866v.jpg

3. Perform Steps 3-5 in the main tutorial.

2euixkj.jpg311rred.jpg

iwhjfb.jpgjhsnle.jpg

4. Without deselecting, hide this layer (card) from view.

dmtao3.jpg

350786b.jpg

5. Select the layer with your card in it, and perform Steps 6-7 in the main tutorial.

euotcl.jpgf3yw5k.jpg

6. Raise the Brightness of the name by 50. Deselect.

9pqd0j.jpg

8yc4ma.jpg

15388qb.jpg

[spoiler=Synchro Cards:]Synchro holos cannot be fixed in any way whatsoever due to the nature of the card itself; it will be difficult to see regardless of what you try. You CAN change the colour of the name holo, though. Use the tutorial above for Ultra Rare/Ultimate Rare cards.

And that's it. Simple as that. That's ALL I've been doing for the past, like, year or so. I just recently started doing newer versions of the name holo, though. So this is old stuff.

And for those interested: Yes, you CAN change the Hue and/or Saturation of the name holo to have a different colour instead. Just do that sometime before, inbetween, or after your holo. Just don't deselect until you have done so.

[spoiler=Example:]f25tsn.jpg

The new version of the name holo shall continue to remain a secret until further notice. =P.

And as a bonus, I have uploaded the pre-configured Photoshop action for everybody to download and use in Photoshop. It is meant for the first tutorial only. The second tutorial still needs a bit of manual work.

Download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQKLVBQ8

[spoiler=Setup:]

1. Open up your Photoshop Actions window, located in Window > Actions.

2. Click the tiny circle with the arrow in it to the top-right of the window, and click Load Actions...

3. Find Holo Card Name.atn in the place you downloaded it to, and click Load.

4. You will find it added to your Actions window.

[spoiler=Using it for the first time:]

1. Open up a card you want to name holo in Photoshop.

2. Click any random letter (or number) with the Magic Wand Tool (press W).

3. Click the Holo Card Name action in your Actions window, and click the Play button on the bottom.

4. It should run the action, until it hits the two Fill actions, which should generate an error and stop. This is normal.

5. Double-click the first Fill action. It will open up the Fill window. Do the same settings as before for the first time you filled your card above with the pattern. Click OK.

6. Double-click the second Fill action. Repeat Step 5, but do it with the same settings as the second time you filled your card above. Click OK.

7. Your name holo Photoshop action is now fully configured.

From now on, to do a quickie, just use the Magic Wand Tool, click a random letter (or number), and run the Holo Card Name action.

Enjoy ^^.[/align]

First of all' date=' make sure you're on the correct layer with your card.

Then, make sure the Tolerance is 32 or lower. Don't make it too low, or it'll be ineffective. Just change it to something between 10-32.

Tell me how it works out.

[/quote']

1. Correct Layer - Check!

2. Tolerance - Set at 32.

That seems to have done it, although it's selected other areas as well, I can just ALT+click those.

Dunno what I was doing wrong before, thanks =)

Its good but I prefr my method;

1. Make card with no Name' date=' Save

2. Open in Photoshop

3. Write name (I have the correct font)

4. Select Text Layer

5. Fill with Pattern (Holo Sheet Patterns i Have), And change Setting to liking.

Usually takes me a few seconds =/

[/quote']

The fastest record I can go with my Photoshop action is five seconds.

And besides, I don't usually do the old version anymore. I just do the new version.

• 2 months later...

Archived