YCM Disscuss: WHat if!? - The Formats Format

I see a disscussion about creating a semi advanced format which is kinda bad as a idea but WHAT IF?

MTG avoids the anoying work of making list by basing the game playability in 4 Formats

Legacy: It can use each card legaly playable printed up to the moment, it is the only format in which there exist a proper Banlist to eliminate cards that unbalance the game.

Vintage: It can use each card legaly playable and use no banlist system, exceptions at this rule are ante cards...and a serie of restricted cards.

Extended:This format significantly cuts the disponibility of cards by allowing the use of cards imprented from 7 years ago up to the present times having a period of 3 years between each rotation eleminating the first 2 blocks of the older left in game. This format has no banlist. But may present restriction on cards that unbalance the game.

Standar:This format is the most played and competive format. It is only composed by the 2 newest blocks and its correspondient Basic Edition - it covers almost 7 editions in total...and rotates once a new set that follows a new Basic edition is printed. There no exist any banlist.

Well once you know this How could it be aplicable to Yugioh!

Well first of all a thing to have present is the rotation...card rotation looks good in a game like MTG where the basic editions reprint some of the most useful cards for basic playing........the most obvious solution to this is having ourselves a set of reprint sets that let the players get acces to some (not all) of the most used old cards....(Such work has been done up to now by sets like Dark beggining. Dark Legens...and some special pack)...so solved this issue now that we mention Dark beggining it seems to be a good start point in the partitioning our set pool into something like

A Legacy Format:An analogous to our current format where all card in existence are allowed except for the ones in the B list.

An Old Format: This format will be based on each set previous to Dark Beggining. It will contain our actual Traditionals banlist as moderator and will add 2 sets starting from the first sets of serie 2.

An Extended FormatWhich will cover all the cards from the second serie of cards (Corresponding the GX era), up to the first edition of the series 3.

An Advanced Format which will cover all the series 3 cards and most of the reprints....which will rotate with the upcoming of new editions.....

Well I tried to loosely explain what I wanted to say...so now (I hope everything is clear)

The disscussion points are:

• How would a Formats Format help the game?
  • How would you like a similar game style would work?
  • How will this impact in meta game?
  • Any other issues that can come later.

DISCUSS NOW!!!!

First of all, your version seems to have just three time-restricted formats with no analogue to Legacy, which is terrible.

Second of all, considering how powerful modern archetypes are, how closely together their cards are released, and how little emphasis is placed on generic good cards that help elsewhere, the most recent format would always just be "run whatever new archetype deck has received the most broken support". In fact, the differences in good card distribution make set rotation far less viable in Yu-Gi-Oh! than in Magic.

First of all' date=' your version seems to have just three time-restricted formats with no analogue to Legacy, which is terrible.

[/quote']

That was just an example i hasn't to be necesarily that way...And that's the porpouse of this thread the disscussion of a Format stablishment that benefits the game for good...while giving players others options when playing Yugioh....

In this case at the moment all we have is the analogue to the Legacy Format....so count the current IRL format as the Legacy one....

Second of all' date=' considering how powerful modern archetypes are, how closely together their cards are released, and how little emphasis is placed on generic good cards that help elsewhere, the most recent format would always just be "run whatever new archetype deck has received the most broken support". In fact, the differences in good card distribution make set rotation far less viable in Yu-Gi-Oh! than in Magic.

[/quote']

That's pretty much true...and indeed is sad...but well Format and banlists are there to put a stop on how the cards are given consieved and distributed among the sets is true that the new tendency of an archetype based set will turn the game in a Get the most broken archetype in the current format but if there exist a Game style like the propoused by the Format Style...there should also be a restructuration on how the set are made giving us the chance to get the most viable stage to carry this kind of formats.

Horrible. If you use set rotation it necessitates me spending far more money than I want to spend on cards' date=' because my whole collection goes bad after a while.

[/quote']

Not necesarily card rotation only affect the game in a way where certain cards that are too old got the chance to be reprinted giving us the chance of got them for less money since with each new print of the same card its price goes down a little..(It also allows you to use older copies of reprinted cards that are part of the current standar)...and even there...if some of the cards that are used got effected by the card rotation there exist still formats that allows their use....that what formats like MTG legacy are for....and believe me Some card from Legacy are way more expensive than standar ones.

Archived