Rinne's Handy-Dandy Guide on How to Avoid an RP Lock

I do get it, your saying you cannot RP very good and can only post a one liner or maybe a two liner per post. Secondly you wont get banned from YCM for God Modding or from the RP section you can only be banned from the rp you god-modded in. Third I just told you if you want help becoming better and finding out ways to increase the size of sentences in your posts to let me know and I will gladly help. The only reason people cannot post long enough posts is A) Their lazy and they don't feel like it. B) They don't have experience, which makes them weak in an advanced format. C) They could really careless if they get booted from the RP or cause the RP to get locked.

Sometimes someone posts a post and then you post but then another person who is in the thread posts at the same time you do.

Say for instance that it is a battle and you follow advanced rules and write a lengthy paragraph about the details of your attack.

The second person posts the same time you do and now either you or the other person has to edit their posts once they see what you posted so that it fits in with you. Not all comply to do that, they argue about who should fix theirs.

This annoys me and pisses me off.

Not the part about two people posting at the same time, its just that sometimes its good for the other to edit it as well.

I'll delete this if this is irrelevant.

WELLLLLL im not entirely saying that long posts are a bad idea or at least requiring them are, I think the whole point of the roleplay section is to work on writing skills but for the most part to have fun and to have fun in fantasy.

So long posts wouldn't be a bad idea.

Im just saying they shouldn't have to require them.

Before you read this rant, please note that it may not make sense to some people.

[spoiler=Quick Rant]

Honestly, if I think about it, Guideline (this is a guide, is it not?) #1 confuses me. Here's why:

Say that an average app is 7 categories. Now, say someone decides that they want to be smart an make their app 8 categories, which is "above average." Also say that there are 1000 RPers out there. Because only one of these 1000 RPers is currently using an above average app, the guideline is ok.

However, suppose 999 of these 1000 people make athe smart decision and make 8 category apps. Now, the average app is now almost 8 categories. Wanting to stay in compliance with Guideline 1, when the original person creates a new RP, he makes his app 9 categories. This 9 category app can be factored into the new mean, which is now a solid 8.

Again, the process repeats itself, with some people complying with this Guideline #1, thus increasing the average. Thus, the true average at the end of the cycle is an infinite amount of categories. Naturally, this is impossible.

I realize that this requires some theory, but after that, statistics takes over.

Forgive me if this rant interrupted this conversation. It needed to be said.

Good point.

But I wanted to ask something else.

[spoiler=Questions I had...]

So there are some threads where the owner has become unresponsive for a really long period of time without saying anything. And the owner has assigned himself to a crucial role. What do you do?

Also what if there are, say, two people in a thread. other people have signed up but no one else is responding and the two people that posted to the thread decide to stop until some other person posts. But no one else has. What do you do?

Thanks!

IF THESE ARE IRRELEVANT I WILL DELETE!

I like your ideas and all they make sense really but in my opinion I know your in charge but there really shouldnt be a global rule that says how long a RP post should be I think it should be based on what the owner of the RP says its his RP so it should be his rules am I right? Rinne they arent your RPs so I dont think you should decide how long a post must be your stuff should just be more of a recommendation and those who break the RP owner's rules would be given warnings then reported to you or another mod who would deal with it then but I hope you understand my opion I hate the forced long posts at times because they cause problems for me when I am trying to say something and the length limit just makes my character sound arrogant when I am just trying to say something and get to the point of it instead of putting in a bunch of filler crap to make sure I fit within the length limit so it doesnt risk you closing the thread because I just wanted to get to the point and not put in a bunch of filler crap. I usually like to get to the point when it comes to certain things like asking a question so you might have to end up asking it multiple times in the same post or making it take the other person forever to answer the question make it look like they arent even going to answer it at all.

If anyone has comments or questions or anything of the like to talk to me about involving this matter please feel free to PM me I will answer anything to the best of my ability.

I completely agree with that. I feel it should up to the creator of the RP. I hate that you have enforced all Rps to follow the advanced clause. Role playing is to fun not to be following a whole bunch of rules. I was okay with the basic/advanced tags then it acctually was up to the creator but' date='[/u'] that is just my opinion. I am not a mod nor do I have any kind of high status so really this post was useless.

Thank you for your input and I really am thankful that people can see my point because Rinne I understand your we all do we just want you to understand ours and think about making certain rules mainly the length rule optional and up to the RP owner along with rules about OOC stuff I really think they should be up to the owner of the RP since they went through a lot of trouble to come up with it if it was completely original and you mostlikely had not part in coming up with most of the RPs I dont think you should make the OOC and Post Length rules mandatory

Rinne isn't the only mod anymore since I'm back from my hiatus....

I've been telling people for ages that if they want to be able to rp on other forums then they would have to be able to do quality posts so they don't get flamed. I know that this is Rinne's thread but people you have to realize that Rinne and I have put theses rules into place for positive reasons, not to hinder the fun of others or to be control freaks. I hope some of you take this post serious instead of me getting a bunch of hate mail.

~Shadius

I do understand what you guys are doing but I dont think you guys should have the right to lock a thread because of short posts or because people make OOC posts.

Again I am not mad at you guys or hating on you guys but it shouldnt be like that because sometimes people dont know what else to post,

I have RPed on sites where posts didnt have required lengths so people posted short a lot but then there werent as many problems with fixing posts because they didnt put as much effort into putting it in to words as the longer posts and when people did long posts it was because they felt like it or wanted to and actually made battle sences more fluid since people dont have to put 50 moves in 1 post and then the other person doesnt have to backtrack everything.

I've been telling people for ages that if they want to be able to rp on other forums then they would have to be able to do quality posts so they don't get flamed. I know that this is Rinne's thread but people you have to realize that Rinne and I have put theses rules into place for positive reasons' date=' not to hinder the fun of others or to be control freaks. I hope some of you take this post serious instead of me getting a bunch of hate mail.

~Shadius

[/quote']

I can see why you have put in the rule but if you have the owners control wether or not they have to post long post. Say if the rules say people can post short then more advanced Role players that hate shortposts don't have to RP in that particualr one. You don't like it, don't join. If that owner doesn't allow shortposts than if it becomes a problem with a person they can ban them from the RP.

As for OoC posts most sites allow the making off an off-topic thread too so OoC isn't any problem.

That is my iput. I'm with AC

Before you read this rant' date=' please note that it may not make sense to some people.

[spoiler=Quick Rant']

Honestly, if I think about it, Guideline (this is a guide, is it not?) #1 confuses me. Here's why:

Say that an average app is 7 categories. Now, say someone decides that they want to be smart an make their app 8 categories, which is "above average." Also say that there are 1000 RPers out there. Because only one of these 1000 RPers is currently using an above average app, the guideline is ok.

However, suppose 999 of these 1000 people make athe smart decision and make 8 category apps. Now, the average app is now almost 8 categories. Wanting to stay in compliance with Guideline 1, when the original person creates a new RP, he makes his app 9 categories. This 9 category app can be factored into the new mean, which is now a solid 8.

Again, the process repeats itself, with some people complying with this Guideline #1, thus increasing the average. Thus, the true average at the end of the cycle is an infinite amount of categories. Naturally, this is impossible.

I realize that this requires some theory, but after that, statistics takes over.

Forgive me if this rant interrupted this conversation. It needed to be said.

Exactly, said rule is, in fact, an App-Increasing Perpetual Motion Engine. As you said, the 'average' length of an app will increase as more people read this, and due to that, people have to make them even longer. The result is that, given time, the trend of app length will gradually become larger, given enough time. It's rather ingenious when you think about it.

Now, if only we could replicate this effect with POST quality too...

I do understand what you guys are doing but I dont think you guys should have the right to lock a thread because of short posts or because people make OOC posts.

Again I am not mad at you guys or hating on you guys but it shouldnt be like that because sometimes people dont know what else to post' date='

I have RPed on sites where posts didnt have required lengths so people posted short a lot but then there werent as many problems with fixing posts because they didnt put as much effort into putting it in to words as the longer posts and when people did long posts it was because they felt like it or wanted to and actually made battle sences more fluid since people dont have to put 50 moves in 1 post and then the other person doesnt have to backtrack everything.

[/quote']

We understand your point, we just don't think you're correct. In the Your Deck section, you're not allowed to post decks that don't fall into their rules (no bigger than 50 cards, obey the official rules, etc.), and nobody complains about THAT, do they? Deck making is supposed to be 'fun' too, and, and the owners of the post went through effort too. Rules are imposed for a reason.

"Don't have the right"? They're MODERATORS. Their job IS to tell you what you can and cannot post. They ALWAYS have the right.

When you don't have anything else to post, you put in detail, or if there's no other possibility, Purple Prose. You don't have to put in '50 techniques' in one post, it's just four lines.

I could say, "I blocked Jef's kick and responded with a punch." That is a possibility, but it is much too long for a post.

Your logic seems to be that, in order to meet the four lines thing, I SHOULD write "I blocked Jef's kick and snapped his foreleg, proceeding to then roundhouse kick him in the face, quickly pinwheeling in order to snap two more kicks against the back of his neck. I then jumped up, and cradling his head in between my thighs, threw myself backward as his body whipped upward like a ragdoll, his neck cracking with a resouding snap as I landed using him as a pillow, his head still kept in the same position."

That WOULD work, but you could still do just the amount of effort necessary by detailing the first one. For example...

"I noticed Jef getting in position for a roundhouse kick and properly adjusted my body, brushing it off my front arm as I defended against his vicious attack. I examined him, noticing that the attack had left him off balance, his bright purple hoody obscuring the rest of him from my vision as he quickly attempted to reorient himself. I quickly releasing a snapping front jab to his cheek, wincing as I felt my knuckle brush against the side of his firm jaw."

See? I actually didn't do anything that I didn't do in the first post, but this one meets the four line mark. It's not that difficult, just crack open a dictionary and memorize a couple adjectives, they work wonders you know.

I've been telling people for ages that if they want to be able to rp on other forums then they would have to be able to do quality posts so they don't get flamed. I know that this is Rinne's thread but people you have to realize that Rinne and I have put theses rules into place for positive reasons' date=' not to hinder the fun of others or to be control freaks. I hope some of you take this post serious instead of me getting a bunch of hate mail.

~Shadius

[/quote']

Welcome back Shadius, nice to see you again.

For some reason, the RP forum seems to be the only place where Mods get flak for trying to decrease the amount of spam/increase the skill of the resident newbs.

I am not insulting anyone if that is what you are implying and I am not wrong as you seem to suggest unless you can say you would be more likely to change a longer post then a shorter one if they contradict what somebody else posts

@ Artemis that is my point exactly maybe somebody wants an RP where it isnt a paragraph but 1 sentence RPs they should be allowed and this is only an example not to be taken as what I want exactly

@Mods if all RPs follow advanced format why do all RPs have to say that in the subject line because that makes no sense what so ever if they are on all RPs then you cant say add advanced rules to your RP or in 12 hours this thread will be locked

I am not insulting anyone if that is what you are implying

It isn't.

I am not wrong as you seem to suggest

Suggest? I said it quite clearly.

unless you can say you would be more likely to change a longer post then a shorter one if they contradict what somebody else posts

I wouldn't change any post. If you post in a way that the next person's post contradicts yours' date=' then you were probably Godmodding in some fashion. If your opponent's post contradicts yours even if you weren't Godmodding, then they are probably Godmodding. The key is to never say 'hits' or even mention the other character's name in the past tense during action, just the action. Instead of, "I hit Bob in the face with a Hadoken", say, "I shot a Hadoken at Bob's face". That way, if he blocks it, it isn't contradicting yours. Though personally, I wouldn't recommend shooting a Hadoken at Bob's face.[/b']

@ Artemis that is my point exactly maybe somebody wants an RP where it isnt a paragraph but 1 sentence RPs they should be allowed and this is only an example not to be taken as what I want exactly

Uhm' date=' no they shouldn't. In the same way you aren't allowed to make Script Form Fanfics in the Fanfics Section, 80-card Decks in the My Deck Section, you aren't allowed to make short-post or OOC-only posts in the Roleplaying section. It's for the same reason too- we don't want the section polluted with mediocre RPs, like the other sections don't want mediocre Fanfics or terribad Decks.[/b']

@Mods if all RPs follow advanced format why do all RPs have to say that in the subject line because that makes no sense what so ever if they are on all RPs then you cant say add advanced rules to your RP or in 12 hours this thread will be locked

They don't' date=' actually, it's implied. Any RP that still has it in the subject line is just holding onto a fragment from the old ages. They're not allowed to have 'Basic' in the subject line, but they don't NEED Advanced in the subject line, as long as they follow the basic rules.

And actually, it isn't "add advanced rules to your RP or in 12 hours this thread will be locked", it's "comply with advanced rules on your RP or in 12 hours this thread will be locked", in the same way police say "comply with the rules of the road or we'll pull you over".[/b']

Apologize for seeming like an ass, but the ENTIRE Basic vs Advanced debate has gone on for FAR too long, and like hell I'll see it reopened here.

Archived