Tutorial: Creating A Holo Sheet in Photoshop

Did you find this tutorial useful?   

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you find this tutorial useful?

• Yes
    • No
    • I really couldn't give a flying heehaw either way

I sometimes see people asking, buying (or begging :| ) for holo sheets to create holos for themselves or for their customers if they own a shop. I myself have searched for holo sheets on google images and the results are depressingly poor. Because of this, I took the liberty of creating this tutorial, so that others might create their own sheets instead of using only those that have been created by others.

Basic knowledge of photoshop is required for this tutorial. I am not a gimp user but I imagine it could be translated into Gimp at least moderately easily.

You finished result should look at least vaguely like this

Tut9.png

[spoiler=My holo sheet used on a card] My Holo sheet looks like this on a card.

tutdemo-1.png

[spoiler=before]createcardphp-1.jpg

Anyways please enjoy, and if this tutorial was useful to you, please give me a rep!

Thanks!

[spoiler=tutorial]

1. Create a square document in photoshop (mine was 284x284) and colour it black

Tut1.png

2. In this new layer use the fibers render (filter > render > fibers) with a high strength and a medium variance with the colours grey and black to get something like this

Tut3.png

3. Use the mezzotint filter (filter > pixelate > mezzotint) with the short lines selected in the drop down menu to create an image like this.

(note the vertical lines in the background. These are there because I made a mistake early on. I removed them in step 4, but you don't have to worry about them. Pretend they aren't there)

Tut4.png

4. rotate 90 degrees. Select the background with the magic wand tool and delete it. Play with the hue, lightness, and saturation (image > adjustments > hue/saturation) untill it looks something like this

Tut6.png

5. Draw a texture in any colour (I chose blue) in a new layer. Be creative. I found that the default wet media brushes worked nicely for this. I also decreased to opacity of the main layer.

Tut7.png

6. Almost done! Fiddle with the background colour texture until by adding new colours new filters, etc. until you like it. Now use the magic wand tool to select the background of the line layer and invert the selection (select > invert) all of your lines should be selected. Now brush over some of them with a darker and lighter shade of grey. It should look a lot nicer. Heres what mine looked like at this point.

341x353http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/mythcaptor/tutorials/Tut8.png[/img]

7. This is the final step!! And all I can say is be creative! What I did was brush over the lines (see last step) with white, messed with the texture color, and added grey to it. I then modified the opacity. But this is just what I did. Make the sheet your own.

Tut9.png

Congratulations you just made your first holo sheet!

If you found this useful and you are feeling generous, please give me a rep :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived