[Tut] Starting out as a card maker? Come in here b****es. ;D [move to Q&H tut's section, and I don't care if you can't b

Niño

[align=center]

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but events that happened led me to beleive that it is, so if not, please move to the appropriate section.

[spoiler=This is a Tut for new members and those who want to learn about card making]

OCG (Official Card Grammar)

Most card makers obsess over OCG, to me, it is not the most important aspect of card making, but it helps to know your stuff, so read this over a few times until it sticks in your head. ;D

Appearance

Oh yes! In Yugioh it’s not all about what’s written, it’s about how it looks too, the more appealing a card looks the better the feedback from your targeted audience. So when you’re card making try to find:

A Creative name – We don’t want to see “The Ninja” or whatever all the time, give it a bit of creativity try to make it interesting to make us read on father into the card, for example “Kazuke – the Ninja of Atonement” this makes it more interesting because it gives it a personal human name [it is more than welcome to be a made up name for a really creative card ;D] and a title.

A Decent Picture – This will consist of a creative picture that looks as if it would be found on a Yugioh card, signatures or writing in a card image looks unprofessional, I mean, when was the last time you saw a signature in a Yugioh card?. If you’re going to use www.deviantart.com the site rules state that you must give credit to the artist of the image you are using.

Holo’s: Not always the best way to go, but Holo’s [Holographic images: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh/images/e/e0/ElementalHeroTerraFirmaPP10-JP-ScR.jpg] do make the card look somewhat more professional, depending on if the card is rare or not.

Capitalization

In standard Yugioh OCG rules capitalization comes in as a basic priority, here are some words you will need to capitalize.

Graveyard

Summoned

Life Points

Normal Summoned

Card Names – The first letter of your cards name should always be capitalized and then basic grammar rules following, for example:

Gorz [– Name, so like any other name it’s first letter will be capitalized] the [– this is a normal word so this will remain un-capitalized] Emissary of Darkness [- this is a title, so like all titles it’s first letter of the first two words will be capitalized].

[spoiler=Basic OCG, as made by Icyblue, one of the official Super Moderators]

OCG stands for Official Card Grammar.

OCG is the way in which your card effect is worded. If it is not worded as it would be on an official Yu-Gi-Oh! Card, it is said to contain OCG errors, just so you know.

There are various types of OCG. Heren you can learn about them.

The most commonly known types are Old and New OCG. Remember, Old existed once, therefore it is right, however there are few Old OCG bits that are deemed unusable.

Old OCG

Old OCG is what has been used in the past on Card Text, some of it is still usable, while some of it isn’t. You will find Old OCG on old cards such as the Blue Eyes Set to say Dark Crisis etc.

Unusable Old OCG

- Mode - It is Position, NEVER MODE.

- Magic - In the past, Magic was used. Then they replaced it with Spell.

- Move - In some old cards, Move was used as a way for saying Add, Add should be used instead. Card Example = LOD-028 Reinforcement of the Army

- Fuses - On the old Polymerization, its card text was very bleak and simply said 'Fuses'.

- Sacrifice / Sacrificing / Offer / Offering - This terms were used to basically say Tribute / Tributing.

Usable Old OCG

- as a result of battle - Nowadays we say ‘by battle’.

- your side of the field / your opponent's side of the field – Now, it’s ‘your opponent you control / your opponent controls’.

- when this card is Normal Summoned, Special Summoned or Flip Summoned - Nowadays we say Summoned.

New OCG

New OCG, is now commonly used, it is up to date, and is quicker to write and explains things in a simpler Version. Try to use New OCG if you can. You will find New OCG on cards from like Invasion of Chaos to Shadow of Infinity. You will find New New OCG from SOI to like now.

New OCG List

This list will be split into 3 Sections;

Expert New OCG

New New OCG

Master Rule OCG

All are correct, just choose which one you like the best, or mix and match.

Expert OCG

- by battle -

- Don’t say Points - after an ATK or DEF alter, do not say points.

- Summoned - When meaning all types of Summon.

- Inflict xxxx damage to your opponent - is used instead of saying something like ' inflict xxxx damage to your opponent's Life Points'.

- can attack your opponent's Life Points directly - instead of the old 'can inflict direct damage to your opponent's Life Points'.

- Can - not may.

New New OCG

- You control / your opponent controls - Used instead of ‘your side of the field / your field' etc.

- by battle -

- Summoned - When meaning all types of Summon.

- Inflict xxxx damage to your opponent - is used instead of saying something like ' inflict xxxx damage to your opponent's Life Points'

- can attack your opponent directly - instead of the old 'can inflict direct damage to your opponent's Life Points'.

- Can - not may.

Master Rule OCG

The Master Rule is to follow the OCG which will be released with the new 5D's cards.

Those 2 terms aren’t used in TCG. So avoid using them.

- Extra Deck - To replace Fusion Deck.

Extra OCG

So far I have given examples of some of the different types of OCG, here are some extras.

Piercing damage

You know Piercing damage, don’t you? If you don’t, I’ll try to explain it. By default, Battle Damage can only be applied when 2 monsters in Attack Position battle by subtracting the ATK of both monsters. But, a monster with Piercing ability can give Battle Damage even if it battles against a monster in Defense Position. Some monsters with Piercing ability are Elemental Hero Bladedge and Ancient Gear Golem. To state that a monster has Piercing ability, write it like this;

‘During battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster whose DEF is lower than the ATK of this card, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent.’

However, you can also write it in a shorter way. Just write;

‘This card inflicts Piercing damage.’

Simpler. But there’s only one card that uses that on its lore, which is Cyberdark Horn. Both ways of writing are acceptable.

Counters

When referring to Counters, they DO NOT go like this:

"Spell Counter"

They simply say Spell Counter (counter / counters by themselves do not start with a Cap C, only if they follow a type of Counter).

Monster Types

When referring to monster types like Elemental Hero's, it goes like this;

"Elemental Hero" monster

When referring to a Subtype, it goes like this;

Toon monster

(Sometimes Monster has a Cap M after the Sub)

When referring to a card name it goes like this;

"Elemental Hero Sparkman"

Numbers

Do remember to say a number and not the word when writing quantities;

Example.

Draw 1 Card, not, Draw one card.

If a user creates a card with a unique effect, that has no Officially Correct Way of wording it, then the card can be looked to be correct, and the way it is worded is fine.

Etc.

Grammar

Grammar on cards is a lot easier to remember then OCG. It is basically making sure words have Cap Letters.

Correct Grammar List

field

hand

Graveyard

Life Points

Deck

Extra Deck

Summon

Summoned

Normal Summon

Normal Summoned

Flip Summon

Flip Summoned

Special Summon

Special Summoned

Fusion Summon

Fusion Summoned

Tribute Summon

Tribute Summoned

Synchro Summon

Synchro Summoned

Ritual Summon

Ritual Summoned

Tribute

Tributing

DARK

LIGHT

FIRE

WATER

EARTH

WIND

Fiend-Type

Warrior-Type

Etc.

ATK (Stats)

DEF (Stats)

Spell Card

Trap Card

Monster Card

Monster Card Effect

Etc.

Equip Spell Card

Etc.

Battle Damage

Attack Position

Defense Position

opponent's

owner's

card's (In some cases)

Main Phase

Battle Phase

Standby Phase

End Phase

Draw Phase

Damage Step

Level

Normal Monster

Effect Monster

Fusion Monster

Fusion Material Monster(s)

Card Zone

There’s more but that’s the Gist of It.

Try to use correct Grammar.[/font]If I forgot something or you found new things, just post here drop me a PM. If you have a question regarding OCG, again, drop me a PM or post here.

What is an unrealistic card?

An unrealistic card is a card that isn’t appropriate to be posting, an unrealistic card can consist of many things, but some of the main factors of an unrealistic card are:

Overpowered effect or attack points

an extremely high amount of stars, there has been an official ban on Divine therefore God cards which means a normal card wouldn’t have extremely high levels, this ban on Divine and God cards means that any thread with a Divine or God card will receive a lock.

Joke cards, there is an official thread for joke cards, we do not want them in official sections, official sections are for cards that have been realistically made. If you wish to post joke cards, please, do it in this thread: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-76211.html?highlight=The+official+Joke+card+thread

The sections

Realistic – This is for balanced and well created cards, this section is probably the best way to advance in your card making abilities but is also for the more experienced card makers and most definantly the strictest when it comes to cards. In the realistic section every little detail comes down to play, how the card would cope in a deck, how it’s effect can backfire with cards your opponent is likely to have, so be sure to get ready for a beat down.

Pop Culture – This is a section for making cards related to any person or animated character in the multimedia world. It is for members who wish to hone there skills at card making more than anything or just who want to have some fun and create a card based off there favourite character on a show. It’s a good way to get started.

Other Cards – This section is a section that mainly new members use, in my opinion it doesn’t help you advance in anyway, members in the other cards section make cards that don’t fall into the categories of “Realistic” and “Pop Culture” in this section OCG is lax and it’s more about having fun.

Get to know the card maker

The card maker, found on the homepage of the www.Yugiohcardmaker.net forum, is how you obviously make your cards, but do you know how to use it properly? If not, browse through here.

Name – Enter a name for your card here, be sure to be creative

Card Type – Select your card type out of the following

Monster – This card may have an effect and is able to attack opponents monsters and your opponents life points.

Ritual – Not quite the same as a monster card, it has the same basic principles, although, a Ritual summoned card would usually have some sort of special effect or a strong attack and defence. There are always special requirements for summoning a ritual monster, for example to summon “Black Luster Soldier” you must have a “Black Luster Ritual” spell card in your hand, two monsters that level amounts up to eight and a “Black Luster Soldier” monster card in your hand.

Fusion – Two or more monsters may be sacrificed in special conditions [e.g. using a polymerization spell card which allows two monsters in your hand to be fused] in order to bring out an even more powerful monster or one with a handy effect. This monster will always consist of an image similar to the sacrificed monster and will always state what monsters you needed to fuse it, you may not, ever, tribute two unstated monsters to ritual summon a monster you want, it must always be stated on the fusion card.

Spell – Spell cards, these are cards that may not attack and may only be used to help you out on the field with an effect.

Traps – Traps are usually cards that put your opponent in a difficult position, not to be confused with the effects of a spell card.

Synchro - Synchro Monsters are the newest type of Monster Card, first released in Starter Deck 2008. The colour of their card frame is white. These cards are included in the Extra Deck.

Synchro Monsters require Tuner Monsters to be face-up on your Field. When the total Level of the Tuner monster and any other face-up monsters on your Field exactly matches the Level of the Synchro Monster you wish to Summon (no more or less); by sending them to the Graveyard, you can "Synchro Summon" the Synchro monster. Some Synchro Monsters require a specific "Tuner Monster" in order to be Synchro Summoned (such as "Junk Synchron" for "Junk Warrior") or monsters of a particular Type or Attribute as Material Monsters, but many do not, so they can be in just about any Extra Deck.

Because Synchro Monsters belong in the Extra Deck, they return there whenever they would be returned to the hand or Main Deck, like Fusion Monsters before.ref Also, like Fusion Monsters, they cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard if they were not properly Synchro Summoned first.

Some players have begun to use the term 'Synchronize' or 'Tune/Tuning' to then list which Tuner Monster and non-Tuner monsters will be sent to the Graveyard when they perform a Synchro Summon and summoning a Synchro Monster ("Tune" is more common, because it's the term used in the TV show). (i.e. "I Tune my 'Quillbolt Hedgehog' [LV2] and 'Speed Warrior' [LV2] with my 'Junk Synchron' [LV3] to Synchro Summon 'Junk Archer' [LV7, requires 'Junk Synchron' as the Tuner]!")

There are currently no Aqua, Fish or Divine-Beast-Type Synchro Monsters in TCG or OCG. However, they have released Synchros for certain Archetypes of monsters, including the Aliens, Iron Chain, XX-Sabers, and Blackwing monsters.

XX-Saber Gottoms is currently the only Synchro Monster that you can use more than 1 Tuner Monster for its Synchro Summon since in its conditions it says " 1 or more EARTH monsters", not "1 or more non-Tuner monster(s)".

Synchro Monsters generally have very powerful effects, especially considering the relative ease of summoning them.

Attributes:

Attributes don’t generally mean very much, spells and traps will never have an attribute, all you have to do is select your card attribute according to the sort of card that your one is, for example, if it were a water themed card, the obvious appropriate attribute would be water, but you might just want to breeze over this.

Okay, for some attributed monsters they will have in there effects abilities that can overcome another attribute monster, for example, a light attribute monster will have in it’s effect that when it battles with a Dark-Type monster to increase it’s attack power by a certain amount so there is a possible victory, and the same goes for a dark attribute monster, this effect will generally go with attributes that oppose each other never with completely random ones, e.g. water against dark.

Card rarity

Common – Black text, usually weaker than most cards, nothing out of the ordinary about them and don’t usually have holo’s.

Rare – Silver text, intent for rare cards, rare cards usually consist of holo’s or something that makes them unique.

Super Rare – Gold text, intent for incredibly rare cards, has something about it to make it extremely unique.

Level – Cards will have a set level based on there attack, it is important you read this through.

Level 1-4 – 0 - 1950 ATK/DEF

Level 5-6 – 0 – 2450 ATK/DEF

Level 7 – 0 – 2950

Level 8 – 0 – 3950

I’m not going to go any father because you shouldn’t need a higher level. ;D

Picture Url - Upload an image for your card, make sure it’s creative and you saved it as the appropriate file, the appropriate file varies with each computer, but it is usually a JPEG or a GIF through my experience.

Set ID - This will identify your set, use a code that is related to your set, e.g. Marvel – EN001.

Type – These are the card types: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Type [you are welcome to use any of them except divine-beast ]

Description – Enter your description for your card, if a Normal card, a simple description about the card. If an effect card, enter an effect that will help your monster or other monsters you control in battle. If a Spell or Trap enter an appropriate effect that will help you in battle in some way.

ATK / DEF – a Spell or Trap card won’t have this, but if a monster card make sure you balance it according to the monsters level.

Creator – Please do not put your real name, this makes user safety unsecure, please simply put your username, don’t worry, no one will try to steel your card. ;D

Year – This will automatically have the correct year, no need to worry about this. The year is 2010, if you’re unsure. ;D

Serial Number: Just click random and it will give you a serial number for your card.

Please, no fake types, they are frowned upon and no one likes them, if you they are generally used in “The other cards section”.

Thanks for reading, biatches. ;D

[/align]

I may be mistaken, but isn't this section only for graphics related tutorials?

EDIT: I also disgaree with you on many points, but what I just read is most definitly the rarity part, on which I disgaree. Common monsters are most certainly not weaker than most cards, they're simply the ones that Konami predict will not impact as much. I think it's like that anyways. They can also be very strong though.

Ehh, over the time I've seen some card tuts in here aswell, I think, however thats why at the top of the thread I asked a mod to move it if this was not the appropriate section. ^.^

FUX, really Dranzer? Ah, fux me. Thanks. Wai, what other Tutorials section?

Archived