Tutorial: How to print cards and make them look nice

hell_sword2280

There's more than one way to print your cards and make them look 'realistic', but this is just my way.

My card's turn out very nicely, and the people I duel with are usually quite impressed. So let's get started! :)

First, get your card exactly how you want it. Post it, use people's suggestions to improve it, whatever you gotta do.

Step two: download the picture.

Step three: open a program that you can resize pictures with. Since I didn't feel like shelling out my year's income for CS3 or whatever you kids are using these days, I just use MS Power Point.

Whatever program you use, resize the picture to make it exactly 2.37" wide and 3.31" tall.

Step four:

Print out a normal-quality copy (maybe even black and white) on plain-old InkJet paper. I use standard office-supply scissors to cut my cards, but use whatever works best for you.

For this method, you will want to cut out the sticker in the bottom-right hand corner of the card you just printed. Try to make this as exact as possible.

Next, take any ol' card, and match it up to the card you just printed. If the size needs a little tweaking, go back into your photo-editing program and make adjustments.

Repeat this step with photo-quality paper (if you use glossy paper, skip step 7) and a high-quality setting on your printer, once you have made your card the right size.

Step 5:

Once you have your nice photo-quality card, get a common card you don't care about. Make sure it's the same kind of card as the one you want to make (Spell, Trap, Monster, etc.).

Get a small paint brush, and some glue. Use whatever glue that you like best; I use Elmer's because...well let's face it I'm cheap.

Next, paint a thin coat of your glue on the face-side of the common card. It must cover the ENTIRE card, or else you will get air pockets and your card won't look so great.

IMPORTANT: This is the most imperative part of the procedure. If you screw this part up, you will likely need to scrap all your hard work and start over. This takes patience. It took me a long time to get a good method nailed down.

Slowly and carefully place your printed card on the glue-painted common.

Once this is done, use the wood part of your paintbrush (or a comparable flat solid object) to flatten out any air pockets that may have formed while you were pasting your print on the common.

Step 6:

This part is simple. Get two pieces of plastic wrap that can cover your card, and a heavy book. The plastic wrap will ensure that no icky glue gets on your book or the surface you place it on.

Find a place where you can leave your card overnight, and put the first piece of plastic wrap down. Place your card on top of it. Place the second piece of plastic wrap on top of your card. Then, place your heavy book on top.

Leave the book on top of your card for at least 6 hours (I'd advise doing this overnight, but suite yourselves).

Step 7 (FINAL):

[sKIP THIS STEP IF YOU USED GLOSSY PAPER TO PRINT YOUR CARD!]

Use a glossy fixative spray (you can purchase these at art supply stores) and spray a thin layer on the face-side of your card.

Wait 3 minutes, or until you can see the fixative dry.

I would recommend repeating this 6 or more times, to give it that glossy sheen that real Yu-Gi-Oh! cards have.

...and there you have it! Pat yourself on the back if you succeeded, and if you failed well...WE HATE YOU! Nah, kidding, just try again mate. :)

If you have questions or suggestions for improvements on this method, feel free to post!

Peace,

hell_sword2280

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

-_____-

Necrobump?! Lol.

Anyway, good tutorial. Not special, but I guess it is OK for a new member.

lol, looks like that muslim want to catch all of them, but he started with the powerfull legendary pokemon bush, anyway i print this cards too and i can play in no-official tournaments, konami is a bullshit you know :)

Archived