The Complete Guide to Archetypes

Mendatt the Elf Mage

Welcome to the Complete Guide to Archetypes! It may have many flaws, and I daren't judge, but remember that this my first guide, so cut me some slack. Have you ever wondered where that phrase came from...

This guide will reference many archetypes in the TCG, and some custom-made archetypes, including a good deal of mine, the Machina, Gadget, Ice Barrier, Koa'ki Meiru, Lightsworn, Blazing Inferno (Inferno I20), Beast of the Land (SpinnyChairOfDoom), and several more.

Step One

There are a variety of ways you can start the process of creating and archetype. You can start by making a trump card for it, and decide what the archetype will focus around after you made it, off of it's effect. You can also start by thinking of a name, start by thinking of what they do, start by just about anything. But for the point of this guide, we will assume that you start by making a focus. As for the rest, I will make that up as I got along.

The Other Step One

First of all, try to think of a common point for all of the cards in the archetype. Will they all be the same attribute, like the Blazing Inferno or Lightsworn monsters? Be all of the same type, like the Frogs and Beasts of the Land? Be all of the same effect monster type, like the Worms and just about all of the existent archetypes except for the X-sabers and Elemental Heroes? Maybe two of those, like the Worms? Maybe none of those? Maybe they all have a part of their effect that is the same, or focus around one card- The Koa'ki Meiru are a good example for both of those. Maybe they all focus around returning cards to your hand, or special summoning cards from your graveyard, like the Zombies.

Step One- I Mean Two

It takes a while to think of a name, and you may go through a few before you decide on one you like. First of all, there are a few basic rules. For instance, if they are all Fairy-type LIGHT monsters, don't name them "The Evil Ones". Moving on, think of a name that fits the archetype. Do you imagine them great big centipedes? Call them Centipedes, Millipedes, whatever you think fits, maybe splice a few words together. Are they anthropomorphic trees? Ent, maybe? Elder? Take your pick. Sea monsters? look on wikipedia. WATER Winged-beast humanoids? Personally, I advise a variation on Siren for that, but your choice.

Step Three

Now that you decided on what they do and what they're called, what will the trump card be- Will there be a trump card? There could be a powerful card that they focus around summoning, like the Judgement Dragon of the lightsworns. Such a card has to have a negative effect of some sort or it is declared broken, so, what will it be? Maybe a card like Iron Core of the Koa'ki Meiru? three trump cards like the Gadgets? There are so many possibilities.

Step Four

Congratulations on getting this far! Now you have to think of a naming system. This is a simple step.

There has to be a way to differentiate the cards in the archetype. How will you name the cards? Will you simply have them be Archer, Warrior, the like, like the Machina cards? Or have names, like the... I'm not sure. Maybe both, like the Ice Barrier or Lightsworn?

Anyways, I have no doubt I will edit this guide[/size]. A lot. But thanks for reading it all the way through.

Archived