what size should my pictures be?

claude_c_kenny

Question

sorry if this has been asked before, but whenever I upload a picture, it comes out fuzzy. I also can't figure out how to resize pictures in microsoft paint.

also, how do I take one object/person out of a picture if the picture size is 2080x1550? sorry if im being noobish, I read the FAQ, but I didn't see anything about this. Thanks!

11 answers to this question

ah, you know what? I didn't even think of that. let me try it. and I really should start trying other things first before asking questions. sorry.

Aha! it worked. thanks guys for helping me, I hope I wasn't too much of a noob. now, as long as it works with everything else (and it should) I shouldn't be back to this board. gonna hit one of those contest boards pretty soon. ;)

ok, i've tried resizing the pictures, but as soon as I try to make them bigger, they start going fuzzy. when I try to make them smaller, I wind up cutting away part of the picture. i've also tried the stretch/skew and attributes tabs in microsoft paint, but all that does is expand a white area around the picture. how do I fix this?

all right, I did figure out how to cut the image and center it to a 240x240 background, but once again, trying to enlarge it in any way makes it fuzzy. now that I know what sizes work, I will search for images that are more those sizes, but some of the pictures I want are nowhere near what I need.

what is cropping, and when you say smaller picture, do you mean within the limits you told me, cuz i'm already using pictures in the mid 100's that im trying to make larger. should I try downloading a different program instead of trying to use MS paint? it really seems like its hurting more than helping.

sorry to keep bugging you with stupid stuff. im figuring some of it out, and I thank you for helping me.

Here's a stumper I just noticed: no matter what size an image is when I click on it to save it, it always shrinks to the 100's in size, and always becomes a bitmap image, even if it says JPG. I can save it as JPG after editing it myself, but I just tried to save a 1100x1000 just to test it, and it became 126x136, too small. I appreciate you trying to help me, but i'm wondering if I should just give up and accept that I can still at least make my own cards, regardless of quality. sorry if I sound pitiful, but this happens everytime I find something interesting that I would like to get into, I run into something that completely stops me.

[quote name='claude_c_kenny' timestamp='1290894601' post='4814258']
Here's a stumper I just noticed: no matter what size an image is when I click on it to save it, it always shrinks to the 100's in size, and always becomes a bitmap image, even if it says JPG. I can save it as JPG after editing it myself, but I just tried to save a 1100x1000 just to test it, and it became 126x136, too small. I appreciate you trying to help me, but i'm wondering if I should just give up and accept that I can still at least make my own cards, regardless of quality. sorry if I sound pitiful, but this happens everytime I find something interesting that I would like to get into, I run into something that completely stops me.
[/quote]

eh.. what? o.O

What image program are you using to save your pictures? They shouldn't be re-sizing on save, thats quite odd.

I'd say use paint.net or something (its free and has transparency unlike normal MS Paint.. and its never re-sized an image for me)

also: Dont save as jpg, it lessens the quality of pictures (usually). Bmp is better, PNG/Gif are best as far as I can see =)

basically here's what happens: I search for a picture on google, under each picture it'll say (just an example) something like 800 x 600 - 80k -jpg. when I right-click the picture I click 'save picture as'. but when I get to the part where I choose where to save it on my computer it will only let me save it as a bitmap (bmp), and then when I check the image on my computer, it says (another example) 100 x 120. hopefully this helps you guys understand what's going on, and doesn't come out like gibberish.

Archived