Something that should be added to the rules regarding artwork.

Pikkeru

I've noticed many cards here use artwork from artist websites, such as Deviantart. I've also seen people refer others to deviantart for artwork to use for cards.

Personally, this should go under either Rule 2: No Illegal Content, or Rule 15: No Plagiarism.

I'm pretty sure many of the artwork used here that are "fanart" and not official from the games, anime, cartoons, etc...are being used without an artist's permission. Now while these cards are essentially for fun, most art being used without permission can possibly be sued as such, or that person may get in trouble for doing so. I would hate to have my own artwork on a card someone made without at least being asked for such. =\

There are other ways to make cards. =\ For example, I've noticed that people use Kingdom Hearts fanart, rather than using images from artbooks or the official game. Most images on Deviantart will say "Do not use without permission" or artist's will say that their galleries are not stock for people to use. There are other ways to find images one can use for their cards.

It may not be plagiarism, but to even modify images, most artist's don't like that. I realize these aren't used to sell to others, but just to show off for fun. I'm just saying there are artists out there that hate it when their images are used for things, even just-for-fun cards, without their permission. I think if anything, each artist should be sited or put onto the cards in the corner (much like when Pokemon cards would say who the artist is) saying the artwork is copyright them, if, and I can almost guarantee, people don't ask for permission.

If they really didn't want us to use them that bad then they woulden't have put it on the internet, atleast as a JPEG anyway if they save them as PNG's you can't use them, believe me I know I've tried and it doesn't work, also I usually look to see if the artist has a do not reproduce or alter etc request where the pic is and I don't use them if they do. I agree with DJ if everyone was forced to stop using Deviantart all the cards on here would look terrible and the site probably would die.

It's not all that bad...We're not taking credit for their artwork, seeing

as how we're never going to promote these cards in tournaments or

whatever. I think it's perfectly fine taking something as long as you're

not saying you created / invented it. Example:

We make cards here. Are we saying we invented Yu-Gi-Oh? I think not.

In the long run, it doesn't really matter.

could you imagine a YCM where all we could use was Google, Yahoo, and Ask? I COULDN'T!!! Now I'm not saying Google, Yahoo, and Ask aren't good picture sources some pictures are very useful. It's just easier to use Deviantart and I also agree with Speed Dragon90 if they didn't want anyone to use them then they shouldn't put them up in the first place or they can make them a format we cant use.

There are other ways to make cards. =\ For example' date=' I've noticed that people use Kingdom Hearts fanart, rather than using images from artbooks or the official game. Most images on Deviantart will say "Do not use without permission" or artist's will say that their galleries are not stock for people to use. There are other ways to find images one can use for their cards.

It may not be plagiarism, but to even modify images, most artist's don't like that. I realize these aren't used to sell to others, but just to show off for fun. I'm just saying there are artists out there that hate it when their images are used for things, even just-for-fun cards, without their permission. I think if anything, each artist should be sited or put onto the cards in the corner (much like when Pokemon cards would say who the artist is) saying the artwork is copyright them, if, and I can almost guarantee, people don't ask for permission.

[/quote']

actually, thats why i have an account on deviantart, to ask them. but they dont matter as i said earlier we promote thier artwwork and we have never taken credit for thier image or ever mocked them in anyway. i dont see whats bad in it. i can argue about this for like a year if you want to.

actually, thats why i have an account on deviantart, to ask them. but they dont matter as i said earlier we promote thier artwwork and we have never taken credit for thier image or ever mocked them in anyway. i dont see whats bad in it. i can argue about this for like a year if you want to.

There are other ways to make cards. =\ For example' date=' I've noticed that people use Kingdom Hearts fanart, rather than using images from artbooks or the official game. Most images on Deviantart will say "Do not use without permission" or artist's will say that their galleries are not stock for people to use. There are other ways to find images one can use for their cards.

[/quote']

Actually, my friend... You just proved yourself wrong.

As long as we don't sell these cards, it is not illegal.

And as long as we are not giving these cards to anyone for a sort of prize, it is not plagiarism. I suppose you could argue that Card Contests is breaking this rule, but you must remember that the picture is less than 50% of the card, and that the rest of it is your own work.

I'll admit that I have turned in an assignment when more than 75% of it has been copied, and I haven't gotten in any trouble.

If they really didn't want us to use them that bad then they woulden't have put it on the internet' date=' atleast as a JPEG anyway if they save them as PNG's you can't use them, believe me I know I've tried and it doesn't work, also I usually look to see if the artist has a do not reproduce or alter etc request where the pic is and I don't use them if they do. I agree with DJ if everyone was forced to stop using Deviantart all the cards on here would look terrible and the site probably would die.

[/quote']

You can use png's. I save ALL of my custom images as png's, and they work fine.

Guest JoshIcy

i sometimes leave the artists signature on the card... other times i scrap it, isnt that enough?

-btw i leave the sigs on the card on purpose to credit the artist, like some pokemon and magic the gathering cards do...

Archived