DeviantART question

ChaosBeat

Is it irrational to ask for art to be cited  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is it irrational to ask for art to be cited

I agree with Dj-Osiris. :)

Then why'd you vote no?

I don't vote on polls. :/

Wait' date=' what? That didn't make any sense? Why'd you vote no, and then say you don't vote on polls?

[/quote']

Huh? Wait... I'm confused... :/

Did I vote on this poll? :/

Lol... sorry...

I think I did...

Yeah... I did...

I was probably confused... :/

I agree with Dj-Osiris. :)

Then why'd you vote no?

I don't vote on polls. :/

Wait' date=' what? That didn't make any sense? Why'd you vote no, and then say you don't vote on polls?

[/quote']

Huh? Wait... I'm confused... :/

Did I vote on this poll? :/

Lol... sorry...

I think I did...

Yeah... I did...

I was probably confused... :/

Yes, you are very confused, xD.

Actually' date=' this has happened before, so, I doubt it'll become a rule. If it became a rule then that would mean we'd have to get permission for cards from EVERY site we get pictures from. Not just DeviantART.

[/quote']

There are more than enough "free sites" where you can find your pictures. Just that deviantart is easy to find and to use does not mean it alone has a monopoly on the pictures.

For example wallpaper artists have their resources. You just need find the appropriate ones which is not that difficult.

Ever been on Minitokyo?

How much effort does it take to notify the artist with the question whether you can use their art or not.

Most likely your problem is that mostly they only agree to it once you assure them it only for private use and not publication.

Just as you need to find a trustworthy source to support your views in an essay, it is the same in your case. Check whether you are free to use it or not. It is that simple. For the rest, you have Google.

@Dj: female. Does it matter what my gender is?

@Dj: female. Does it matter what my gender is?

Of course it does lol

No male would say sweety unless they were gay ^_^ and i shud know lol

Oh its not truely irrational Chaosbeat

Its card uniqueness that effects that

When we make cards we dont reli want others to use the same pictures, as cards lose their uniqueness, if we posted a link everyone can get them

then Unqiueness drops and plummets and all cards become stale and boring and overused lol ^_^

I have no objection of mentioning the image creator, but a link to the thread is a no no for me lol

Can anyone tell me why its irrational to copy and paste a link to the page you got the picture from?

if irrational equals intellectual laziness or herd behavior..then yes

@DJ: you're wrong there. Ever looked at graphic contests? A theme is chosen or a picture and it has to be reproduced into, say, a signature. The outcomes are really interesting to see. How much color and effects can change the output is amazing to see.

What are your cards actually? Is it art? Or would you describe it otherwise?

We're not asking you stop using images from DA, only that you post a link under the card you made on its initial post; not on the actual card.

As for the comment that said they don't to post a link to the artist because they don't want their card to be used by other card makers... Isn't that counter-productive to your side?

I dont see what my point has to do with sig's and colour changing lol and graphic contests...

Well to be honest all i can say is

I fully understand what your saying, its the other members you need to try and convince, so instead of trying to prove my every sentence wrong, should you not be doing something productive to alert other card makers of this problem?

as of right now, its an endless circle, it will lead no-where lol

I dont see what my point has to do with sig's and colour changing lol and graphic contests...

You talk about the uniqueness of a picture. I said, that in graphic contests for example a picture is chosen and the participants have to make it into a unique piece of work.

You can see there are many ways to recycle an image. That requires a quality names creativity.

By the way, it is not the picture alone that makes the card. You can interpret a trapcard or spellcard differently.

Only the method you point to is the most easiest and requires less work

Further more, it leads nowhere because none is willing to make a change. Unable to and unwilling to are two very different things

Sorry... It was a question for everyone. I wasn't trying to target any single person.

As for what you said about just giving the name of the artist, that may work...

I'm on DA alot and over the past few months many artists have been forced to place watermarks on their art because of people using their images. I know completely stopping this is pretty much impossible.

My intention is to understand why credit to the original artist is an irrational thing to ask.

*yawn*

I feel like I've seen this before.

Just so you know my take on the whole thing: ... ah screw it, just reread all of DJ's posts and imagine I wrote them... except for the top half of post #30 ^^

(You DeviantArt radicals really just came out of the woodwork, didn't ya?)

Of course I'm losing, my cause is on your guys' territory...

So far, people have only managed to tell me that it hasn't changed before, so it won't this time.

Saving the file to make the card and copy/pasting the artist's name under your post require the same amount of "work", so I know work isn't the issue.

I still don't see why it is too much to ask.

Such a pity the policy of ignorance is leading this site >.>

Now, now... Peaceful~ Peaceful~ We're not here to cause problems...

They're not ignorant; they just think the cards lose personality when they cite where they found the image... I can understand that...

DO NOT COME ON MY FORUM AND CAUSE SUCH ANNOYANCE! If you have a prob, then contact YCMaker. Do not come onto the forum, make accusations, and call the members ignorant. You can't change and control the entire populous of YCM by making a thread and staring a flame war.

LOCKED!

Archived