What makes a good protagonist?

Of all the books I've been reading I've never seen a main character as memorable as Bartimaeus of Uruk, from the Trilogy named after him. A bit cunning, yet clunky, not to mention humorous. He's a middle-class "djinn", meaning he's pretty much medicore overall in the Spirits that appear in the story, which makes him perfectly balanced as well. He's not like Naruto. (That's something.) And I love his character. As a result, most fantasy stories I wrote got one or another impact from him.

In anime, though this is Literature, it was L, though I'm not sure if he's a protagonist. I suppose I don't have to explain why it's him.

Well, what do you think makes a good protagonist?

In something fairly actiony or otherwise, what makes a good character is a mixture of making him/her relatable and the aspect of making him or her do something that you normally can't or won't do under a somewhat extreme circumstance, such as doing the impossible. However this not the case in actually a majority of situations.

Death Note was interesting in that regards because even at the end there is no good guy or bad guy, when the story first aired there were some rooting for L and others for Light it was this kind of relationship that made the characters interesting without making them relatable in the most exact sense of the word.

It all really depends what your going for, there is no perfect formula for a good main but its whether it is interesting as a whole I'd have to say two of my favorite mains are Oz Velarious and Shinji from NGE, two opposite personalities but the way they function in there world is what makes the cake.

Archived