Civilization

[quote name='Raine™' timestamp='1308768812' post='5303253']
I understand but we can never know what becomes profitable in 20 years so all we have to trust is the nature of advancement and see that technology would not force humanity into self-destruction.
[/quote]
Who knows what we could accomplish in the next 20 years...

Techological advancement is pointless without people willing to use it for the benefit of others. To answer your question, no. War isn't made for the benefit of others. Ruthlessness isn't to benefit another person/peoples. Our technology is quite impressive, however, some people lack the common sense to use it properly - and that some, just by the slightest, makes my answer a no.

[quote name='.Logic' timestamp='1309286701' post='5317332']
Techological advancement is pointless without people willing to use it for the benefit of others. To answer your question, no. War isn't made for the benefit of others. Ruthlessness isn't to benefit another person/peoples. Our technology is quite impressive, however, some people lack the common sense to use it properly - and that some, just by the slightest, makes my answer a no.
[/quote]

People are not naturally benevolent, but we are greedy. Whether we use tech. to improve life of everyone is irrelevant because people don't help others for the sake of helping others 95% of the time. War is beneficial as it accelerates advancements, such as mass production of penicillin and the atom bomb, which arguably caused a mass halt of all up-front warfare reducing warfare to campaigns on non-nuclear powers such as the Korean and Vietnam war. War is probably the greatest tool in the progress of humanity tool, without nuclear weapons we could still have trench warfare and common army v.s. army mass casualty battlefields.

Archived