A Solution To The DeviantArt War

Azwolop

Pure and Simple, A New Rule

Pure and Simple, A New Rule

After recently talking to one of the more respectable 'dA Radicals' which they have been unfairly called, and i began too see where they were coming from, i myself am a member of dA and i know how irratating it must be to have your work stolen without even the slightest of consent.

So why not just create a new rule. As Simple as, 'If using an image from Deviantart.com, the member must first leave a comment or note asking for permission from the Artist of the desired artwork, for it too be featured in one of your cards.'

Personally i think it would solve all this crap. If the artist says no, then its a no, its their artwork so their choice. if they say yes, you could ask for them too add a tag or note on their dA stating that they allow YCM members too use their artwork for cards, meaning you wouldnt have too ask everytime.

Then again its just my suggestion

Then again its just my suggestion

1. The ones who were called radicals were fairly labeled at the time.

2. It's an okay idea I suppose, but it slows the card making process A LOT, especially since a lot of our art comes from inactive members. Such is the case for me at least.

It seems like an unfair trade to me. Maybe in terms of legality, but not otherwise.

It slows down the making, yes, but I do think its fair. After all its the artist's work and if they don't want us using it, fair enough. The only thing I don't like is how some of the DA members went about trying to say this. I mean, some were really polite and civilized about it and some were complete jerks making no bloody sense at all. But yes, Azwolop, that's a fine idea.

And btw this might sound stupid but we can still use any DA image on cards for our personal use and not to post, right? LOL stupid question huh? :lol:

It slows down the making' date=' yes, but I do think its fair. After all its the artist's work and if they don't want us using it, fair enough. The only thing I don't like is how some of the DA members went about trying to say this. I mean, some were really polite and civilized about it and some were complete jerks making no bloody sense at all. But yes, Azwolop, that's a fine idea.

And btw this might sound stupid but we can still use any DA image on cards for our personal use and not to post, right? LOL stupid question huh? :lol:

[/quote']

Well, probably technically, no.

But really, how are they gonna find out?

Or we could have a soloution with the people at DA to use thier images as long as we trace the image back to the artist?

I guess I'd be okay with that and all' date=' but there are a few things I don't like.

1. We have to ask. That takes WAY too much time.

2. If they say "no" we can't use them. Once again, that means we have to wait for an answer before we can even make the card, and after all that wait, we may not even be able to use the image.

3. Sorry to say, but no one really cares where the images come from. If we put the link up, who's going to use it? Who is going to care? If they want credit, that's fine, but the credit isn't worth much if no one cares where the image came from.

Well' date=' I may give credit, but that's about it. We ain't stealin' nothin', so i see no problem.

[/quote']

Well we are sort of. It's their image so by us using it without permission it is stealing. Same principle as downloading music off P2P sites I believe, its robbing the artist. But there is a difference of course $ wise. A BIG difference!

Well' date=' I may give credit, but that's about it. We ain't stealin' nothin', so i see no problem.

[/quote']

Well we are sort of. It's their image so by us using it without permission it is stealing. Same principle as downloading music off P2P sites I believe, its robbing the artist. But there is a difference of course $ wise. A BIG difference!

... actually, that's a pretty good point you got there.

... ... so it could even be considered hypocritical of them, if they've ever downloaded songs illegally. It's all basically the same principle, as you've said.

HA! I think you're on to something.

2. It's an okay idea I suppose' date=' but it slows the card making process A LOT, especially since a lot of our art comes from inactive members. Such is the case for me at least.

It seems like an unfair trade to me. Maybe in terms of legality, but not otherwise.

[/quote']

I agree. It would take a LOT of time to make a card until the creator responds to the comment you would leave. So, it doesn't have my support

2. It's an okay idea I suppose' date=' but it slows the card making process A LOT, especially since a lot of our art comes from inactive members. Such is the case for me at least.

[/quote']

I agree. It would take a LOT of time to make a card until the creator responds to the comment you would leave. So, it doesn't have my support

but it isn't fair for the artists. how about we have an agreement where we can use images from DA but we should give credit and link back to the image's source.

Again why would an artist say no to us?

[/quote']

but it isn't fair for the artists. how about we have an agreement where we can use images from DA but we should give credit and link back to the image's source.

So you're saying, we can post our cards as normal, and don't have to get permission, as long as we link our picture to its origins?

[/quote']

Because some artists are uncomfortable with their images being on cards, especially if some n00b grabs their picture and disgraces it. Hey, that's not a bad idea. Why don't we have it so we can only place the picture on if your OCG is considered "up to standard" or something. Just throwing ideas around so feel free to critique.

[/quote']

Because some artists are uncomfortable with their images being on cards, especially if some n00b grabs their picture and disgraces it. Hey, that's not a bad idea. Why don't we have it so we can only place the picture on if your OCG is considered "up to standard" or something. Just throwing ideas around so feel free to critique.

i dont understand.

do you mean we cant use the pictures unless they are good?

3. Sorry to say' date=' but no one really cares where the images come from. If we put the link up, who's going to use it? Who is going to care? If they want credit, that's fine, but the credit isn't worth much if no one cares where the image came from.[/quote']

I have to say, I take that back.

Just after seeing Cybernetic's Mage card, I decided to check that Grey-Seagull guy out, and his art is really awesome.

waaaiittt, your all sitting there saying your not on board cause it'll slow down the card making process? well if u find a great image, and u want to use it, why worry about waiting like a day too get permission to use it?

the artist on dA probably spent WAY more than a day on it, so its only fair that if u wanna use it, you gotta actually make it even.

all you gotta do, is say u find a really good artist, u ask if u can use one of their images, and then u can make your own little tag like thing, and give it too them. ask them too place it somewhere on their dA, showing that u can use any of their images for your cards. Because face it, everyone so far has been taking art that people have spent ages on, and then taking credit for it, that's not fair at all.

Solution:

A great dA Artist

A Member's Tag to hand out too willing dA members

Giving the Artist credit at the bottom of the thread you post the card in.

It's simple. All u selfish people sitting there complaining about having too wait ages for them to accept, dA users are on the site ALOT, theres not gunna be a wait, and too be honest, its literlarrly like payment

if you dont wanna follow those rules and dont wanna 'slow down your card making' then go to photobucket or google for images. It's only fair u give the artists some credit and choice in what u can and cant do with their art

Well, I-

Ya know what, I'd better get some more sleep before I start posting more of my opinions.

I've been pretty wishy-washy in my opinion so far.

I'm for it, I'm against it, I'm for it, I'm against it.

I'll get some sleep, then maybe I'll say something about illegally downloading songs, maybe I'll say something about and artist's right. You never know.

Archived