Lets make a new Monster category! - Burst Monsters

[b]What is a Burst Monster?[/b]

- Well thanks for asking disembodied voice! A Burst Monster is a Monster that has a card background-color that is red. They exist in the Extra Deck. They can only however be summoned via Burst Summon. They do not have Levels, instead they have Vectors! (which looks like a black star in a white circle)

[b]What is a Burst Summon? How do you conduct it?[/b]

- A Burst Summon is how you summon a Burst Monster. You can burst summon via taking a Catalyst, and other monsters specified on the card. When you do this, the other Burst-Material Monsters are removed from play, and the Catalyst stays with the Monster, under it like a Xyz Material.

[b]What is a Catalyst?[/b]

-Glad you asked. a Catalyst is like a Tuner, except its a bit different in that fashion. Normally when you Burst Summon, the other monsters are banished, because they are used up Materials used from the Burst Summon. Since a Burst Monster needs something to kick-start it, a Catalyst comes along by, and links together the other Monsters to start a chain reaction, and make a Burst Summon happen.

Catalysts, when used for a Burst Summon stay with the Burst Monster because a Catalyst never actually goes away. Also a Burst Monster needs a Catalyst to use its effects. However, a Catalyst can only be used with Monsters that have the same attribute. Also, Catalysts come in three versions, Positive, Negative, and Neutral, which are replaced as its Attribute.

[b]Can you show us an example of a Burst Monster?[/b]
-Sure!

The Legendary Phoenix - Turul
Vector 4
1 Catalyst + 2 FIRE Monsters
Winged-Beast/Burst/FIRE/Effect
While this card has a Catalyst attached to it, it gains these effects: When this card battles, destroy it and the Monster it battles after the Damage Calculation. Then, during your End Phase, Special Summon this card and attach any Catalyst to it.
2500/2000

If you have any questions/suggestions, don't be shy, speak out!

I also found the explaination quite confusing.

But a few points that I did gather is that you can apparently use any combination of monsters to summon a generic Burst Monster. Literally ANY combination of monsters. So I could turn, potentially, turn Acorno and Pinecono into a Vector 7 monster? Surely not. Originally you said that they conditions were based on their Attributes, which would have been interesting but still highly spammable in Attribute dedicated decks.

These Core things, they seem to just be... no wait... they are just reusable Xyz Materials. And apparently there is no additional effect depending on the kind of Core used, so the fun strategy I briefly invisaged has floated away...

Final nagging point is Rainbow coloured backgrounds sound awful.

I'm being quite harsh on what was an (kind of) inventive and nice idea to begin with that just... was squandered. Sorry, needs work but its a good attempt at doing something new at least.

I guess if no one is gonna comment, I'll just post a few more I've made...

The Legendary Sea Dragon - Kaishin
Vector 4 (Vectors just signify that the higher it is, the more powerful it is. Like Fusions.)
1 Catalyst + 2 WATER Monsters
Sea-Serpent/Burst/WATER/Effect
This card cannot be summoned except by Burst Summon. While this card has a Catalyst attached to it, it gains the following effects: If this card battles, negate the effects of the Monster it battles. During your end phase, discard 1 card or have this card lose 1000 Attack.
3000/2500

Sort of a Counter to Turul...

The Legendary Machine - Imak
Vector 4
1 Catalyst + 2 EARTH Monsters
Machine/Burst/EARTH/Effect
This card cannot be summoned except by Burst Summon. While this card has a Catalyst attached to it, it gains the following effects: Once per turn, you can switch the attack and defense of all Monsters on the field. When a Monster has 1000 or less attack due to this effect; destroy it.
1000/2700

A part of a new archetype I am creating.

When I read the first bit, I figured, "Okay, he's trying to make Xyz monsters more like Synchro monsters. Not creative enough to warrant a new summoning mechanic, but still ok."

Then I read the bit about Attributes and thought. "What the h@**?"

The more I read into it, the less sense it makes. Personally, I think what you want is Xyz monsters that require a certain type of monster to Special Summon them. Since nobody, including you, has any idea what to do with this, you might want to take this suggestion.

So it's a really, really confusing mix of Synchros, Fusions and Xyzs. The idea is far too complicated to even carry on. You're gonna have to simplify it massively. Starting by getting rid of all the dual-element stuff. No-one wants to remember 15 different Elements for the sake of it.

Not to mention it'll completely overwhelm the Extra Deck in terms of space.

[quote name='NumberCruncher' timestamp='1323376561' post='5695591']
When I read the first bit, I figured, "Okay, he's trying to make Xyz monsters more like Synchro monsters. Not creative enough to warrant a new summoning mechanic, but still ok."

Then I read the bit about Attributes and thought. "What the h@**?"

The more I read into it, the less sense it makes. Personally, I think what you want is Xyz monsters that require a certain type of monster to Special Summon them. Since nobody, including you, has any idea what to do with this, you might want to take this suggestion.
[/quote]

I didn't have Xyzs in mind when I made this topic. I based all of this on Explosions, Chemical Reactions and whatnot. I'd prefer if no one else comment on this, since I'm going to rethink this.

Very impressive I actually made my own Category called AXEL monsters. Here is what one looks like: [IMG]http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g347/superlatios11/f3713381.jpg[/IMG]
Name: AXEL Zeta-Mech Blade Berserk Lord.
Lore: Machine / Fiend / AXEL / Effect
1 Level 2 Z WHEEL monster + 1 Level 2 non Z WHEEL monster
You can only AXEL Summon this monster by Tributing 1 Z WHEEL monster and 1 non-Z WHEEL monster. The Levels of the monsters x2 must equal the Tier of this card. If this card is attacked by a Fusion or Ritual Monster you lower this card's Tier by 1 to halve the amount of damage you take. If this card has no more Tiers then this card is destroyed.

I seem to have forgotten to put AXEL in the type name area. OOPS!

[quote name='Hydreigoon' timestamp='1323478759' post='5698029']
Oh um I'll edit those. And refine on what exactly?
[/quote]

Sorry about that messed up 2 in 1 post... fixed it <.<

And maybe try to explain it a bit better, or make it a bit simpler. But I guarantee your concept will become clearer when you make LOTS of Bursts and Catalysts. And maybe some S/T support/hate as well. For example:

Chemical Storm
Quick-Play Spell
Destroy all Catalysts attached to Burst Monsters.

Or something like that. Anyway, good luck!

Personally I liked the idea the first time I read it! :D It's kinda cool and I think it would make a good edition.

I have only 3 complaints,

1.Storm and Magma aren't types, I suggest Pyro and Sea Serpent.

2.It's called removing from play not banishing. (OCG)

3.Where are the catalysts?

Other than that 9/10

Have you considered maiking an RP or Fan Fic with these cards incorporated?

BTW I have some example things.

Julius-Oracle of Thought
Level 5
Pyschic/Catalyst
When this card is sent from your deck to your graveyard by the effect of a 'Burst Spell' or a 'Catalyst Ring' card you can remove it from play to add the Burst-Material Monsters on a 'Burst' monster in your Extra Deck from your Deck or Graveyard to your Hand.

Matthus-Oracle of Common Sense
Level 2
Beast-Warrior/Catalyst
When this card is attached to a 'Burst' monster as a Catalyst it is destroyed during your 2nd Stanby Phase. Any 'Burst' monster this card is attached to as a Catalyst gains the following effect: During your Battle Phase, when this monster attacks, you can pay half your life points to attack your opponent directly.

Archived